Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

My 6 year old is all the way in on Madcatter's shtick, so it slays with the biggest battlebot fan in the house :shrug:

it's nice they release this fully produced at least :unsmith:

Have they been on a floor at before? I’m all in for new folks and bots, even if it is just a bad relay or whatever that kills them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otteration posted:

Have they been on a floor at before? I’m all in for new folks and bots, even if it is just a bad relay or whatever that kills them.

yeah, they were in a regular season fight against Valkyrie, they lasted a whole 9 seconds longer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfWOehOcZ3k

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was just thinking about how the Discovery Warner thing is ruining a lot of things that I love, but if it ends up with Battlebots in Multiversus, that would be kinda cool.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
friendship ended with TOMBSTONE, HYPERSHOCK is my best friend now

good job to madcatter for basically surviving the beatdown of the century though, the drat thing kept moving

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

oh jay posted:

I was just thinking about how the Discovery Warner thing is ruining a lot of things that I love, but if it ends up with Battlebots in Multiversus, that would be kinda cool.

I have no idea how that would work but if we got the arena as a stage I'd be down for it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This weeks matches! Not sure if anyone will leave as much destruction in the box as Hypershock.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Double jeopardy is the one that shoots huge steel ball bearings. That will be fun, hopefully they get a couple shots off

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This weeks matches! Not sure if anyone will leave as much destruction in the box as Hypershock.

Deep Six could do some real damage if it hits in the right spot

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ribbot is a better robot than I think it gets credit for being.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ribbot's bracket to lose, imo

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Ribbot or Malice are It

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's how they apologized to team Ribbot for making them the #2 seed and putting them up against Hydra in the tournament.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

ante posted:

Ribbot or Malice are It

I always look at Malice and think, "why isn't this robot higher rated?" Then I remember that its weapon belt is the most fragile thing in the universe.

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 9, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
How long will it be before Pain Train falls apart?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

How long will it be before Pain Train falls apart?

Normally I'd give them 90 seconds tops, but with Shatter perhaps this time they won't just end up in 4 or 5 pieces, they'll just stop working.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I really really want Pain Train to be good, but I am not sure Pain Train will ever be good

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Antivehicular posted:

I really really want Pain Train to be good, but I am not sure Pain Train will ever be good

I feel the exact same way

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Antivehicular posted:

It's still only their 2nd season with Heavyweights. Although it's at least partially using bot kit parts, they are one of the more dominate teams in the beetle weights with their bot Shreddit Bro.

The team hasn't been to clear on their plans but they created a Battlebots page in July for a 250lb Shreddit Bro, so they might be what they are going to run when Discovery / Battlebots gets a filming date... https://www.facebook.com/ShredditBroBB/

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I will always believe in huge

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ribbot beats Double Jeopardy, then Malice, then Huge, then Lock-Jaw, I reckon.

Malice isn't bad, but it has a habit of getting stranded standing on it's rear end. Huge just hasn't a hope against a horizontal spinner, and Lock-Jaw's not all that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

What is with Battlebots putting Huge up against giant vertical spinners again? They did it with Mammoth, and that fight was the weirdest thing I've seen in years, and now Deep Six.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Do you not want the chance of Huge getting chopped in half by a spinner that's bigger than they are?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gort posted:

Malice isn't bad, but it has a habit of getting stranded standing on it's rear end.

Yeah, it's quite surprising. You'd think that for every bot you'd test if you can rest it on any surface that stops it from driving. If you can, weld a nub there so it rolls over.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Gromit posted:

Yeah, it's quite surprising. You'd think that for every bot you'd test if you can rest it on any surface that stops it from driving. If you can, weld a nub there so it rolls over.

From what I remember when talking with a member of the team part of the issue was because they ended up over weight and in getting the bot back under weight at the event (once you're at filming there's not much time for testing since you're vying for the same two test boxes with the other ~60 teams) they unintentionally hindered their ability to get back on to their wheels from that position. If I'm remembering correctly it would also fall back onto its wheels when the weapon wasn't spinning, but the spin down time was long enough (and the thought to turn it off takes a moment) that they didn't get to the point where it'd reliably drop back on to its wheels.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gromit posted:

I thought they did make that change for Battlebots last season. But not sure if I'm confusing it with another bot. It's likely something that they can't really test entirely for since they probably don't have a safe place to see if they can get the bot to fall back on it's wheels if the weapon is spinning and creating the gyro forces it would be doing if the bot is stuck on it's rear.

It's also only 2 seasons for Malice, and not sure if they are a big enough team to actually work on the bot year round or if they have to wait for sponsors to come through when they get a filming date, which is usually like 8 weeks notice to the builders.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

You don't need a safe space to test to see if a bot rests stably on its rear. Make it not do that ever, no matter if the weapon is spinning or not.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Physics are weird though, especially when you've got a giant red 50lb gyroscope.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I thought I remembered correctly though. Malice did add the little piece on the back for the 2021 season. They just had weapon issues during the qualifiers and didn't do that great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's Malice v Madcatter back in season 5 where they got stranded on their rear end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5s1OXKI-aw

They added a little butt spike for Bounty Hunters which was supposed to avoid that happening again but it didn't work and history repeated itself:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1if4y157eN/

In season 6 they added a sizeable plastic butt triangle:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 11, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Was that the first actual hit Double Jeopardy has landed? All they got was the decorative piece.

Malice looks to me to still have weapon issues in the first fight. I don't think that's full speed.

lol "This is as good as we've see Pain Train look offensively" *weapon dies*

First round was pretty underwhelming.

Really cool double-flip by Deep Six on Shatter. I don't know how the physics even worked on that shot that sent Deep Six across the box.

lol at Shatter pressing a truly hopeless case after the fight. If anything, the judge waited too long to count them out.

Pretty impressive driving by Ribbot against Deep Six. A lot of bots seem to give that tactic a try and then get impatient after 30-45 seconds and feed themselves right into the weapon.

Expected Ribbot to beat Lockjaw but I didn't think it would be that fast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pre-final thought on the presentation (wrote this before watching the fight): Donald Hutson is a great driver and a legend in the sport, but a lot of that legend is because of his two titles with Disector.

Lockjaw's a mid-tier bot that's barely above .500. Same with Gigabyte last week. All the hype about these two "gatekeepers" has been annoying.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

this mentions the loser so i better spoiler

LockJaw was probably badass back in the day but it's a really weak bot now. If they had some epic wins since 2015 then my memory has completely forgotten about them. I watched this expecting LockJaw to lose hard and sure enough they did

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Scrotum Modem posted:

LockJaw was probably badass back in the day but it's a really weak bot now. If they had some epic wins since 2015 then my memory has completely forgotten about them. I watched this expecting LockJaw to lose hard and sure enough they did

The year Lockjaw won the Desperado tournament was cool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scrotum Modem posted:

The coolest things it has done has been in these minitournaments. It won a desperado one season and a bounty hunters. Obviously the desperado tournament was full of loser bots. The bounty hunters he beat: Axe Backwards, Fusion, Bloodsport, and Beta (lol Beta was the bounty).

So, like, it's cool to win those tournaments but he wasn't exactly facing the top flight talent.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Gromit posted:

You don't need a safe space to test to see if a bot rests stably on its rear. Make it not do that ever, no matter if the weapon is spinning or not.

The problem is there are very few locations where you can safely test whether or not a bot will get back on to its wheels with the weapon spun up because you both need a safe enclosure to do the testing in (not many exist) and you need a way to put the bot into those positions, while spinning, which means you can't just have someone set it into position.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malice has always seemed unreliable and poor, but Pain Train is honestly not so different and worse and I cheer them on anyway

Lockjaw just always seems like it's missing something. It looks good and moves well but it's not quite up to par

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RBA Starblade posted:

Malice has always seemed unreliable and poor, but Pain Train is honestly not so different and worse and I cheer them on anyway

Lockjaw just always seems like it's missing something. It looks good and moves well but it's not quite up to par

Lockjaw is a vertical spinner that is very much a middle of the road vertical spinner. It doesn't have any particular advantage over any of the other many similar bots. It is basically a vehicle for Donald Hutson's driving skills, but it does very little to give him an advantage by itself.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shatter took one hell of a bearing from Deep Six

Rip

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Most of Donalds robots seem to exist to flex that he's way better at CAD than most of the field. Effective or not his robots are extremely well designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

lockjaw needs an actual plow setup, clearly. biteforce and endgame don't come into fights against horizontal spinners with their forks (they should probably be forced to, but that's a different argument.)

also kinda needs to stop catching fire so much but i guess at least that didn't come up in this fight i guess

i like lockjaw a ton, cambered wheels ftw. they just aren't adapting to modern design