Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

jokes posted:

speaking of, how was the primer system handled in japanese?

It's exactly the same except Japanese syllables instead of letters. Also there's more than 26 syllables so some of the books cover 2 or 3 syllables at once. Have to wonder if they deliberately picked 26 books with the English localisation in mind because more than 26 would have awkward (though, they could have just removed books for English until only 26 were left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I have weird taste and very much enjoyed 2, 6 and both Tactics Advance games. I played the DS version of 4 and found it extremely hard and didn't really like FF1. If they could manage the time and effort to do another Remake on about a fifth the scale of 7, what's the game they'd want to take another crack at? I know people on here like 10 a lot but I don't know if SE has a real soft spot for like, 8 or 12 or something.

FF5 because it's the one that needs it the least and would be the most utterly bizarre pull but it could make for a neat FJF. And so someone feels tempted to make a mod that replaces the last boss with a giant cactuar.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wish that the poo poo you had to hit to open doors in SoP didn't get massive loving piles of HP in CHAOS and Bahamut modes. Levels you could previously run your rear end through quickly are basically forced fights now since enemies aren't going to let you take 1-2 minutes to bash away at something.

Everything I've encountered so far in Chaos/Bahamut difficulty seems to have inflated HP. I think it's partly by design and partly because my gear level is the bare minimum needed to stand a chance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Polsy posted:

It's exactly the same except Japanese syllables instead of letters. Also there's more than 26 syllables so some of the books cover 2 or 3 syllables at once. Have to wonder if they deliberately picked 26 books with the English localisation in mind because more than 26 would have awkward (though, they could have just removed books for English until only 26 were left)

Weird

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grimthwacker posted:

Everything I've encountered so far in Chaos/Bahamut difficulty seems to have inflated HP. I think it's partly by design and partly because my gear level is the bare minimum needed to stand a chance.

It's balanced against having high job affinity so it feels like poo poo if you've just got the new gear. The easiest way to deal with it is grab some items from missions with chests. Once you have high affinity for something like a red mage you'll melt enemies, but the way they implemented the new content is a chore imo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is funny because there are interviews with the actual writers of the game where they explicitly say they wanted to go even farther and weirder with it and Nomura was the one trying to wrangle them back to something more faithful

Cloud, Tifa and Barrett are excecuted for their crimes while Nikola and Bart plays on the background.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Here’s to you Aerith and Barret, rest forever here in our hearret.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I honestly don't think FF7R is going to deviate very far from the original plot beyond adding new stuff to it. Speaking of, I kinda hope they follow up on the plot thread of Red XIII possibly having Jenova cells that the original game just kinda forgets about

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FFVIIR treatment:.
IV
VI
VIII
Tactics, Tactics Advance

FF:SoP treatment:
III
V
Crystal Chronicles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I honestly don't think FF7R is going to deviate very far from the original plot beyond adding new stuff to it. Speaking of, I kinda hope they follow up on the plot thread of Red XIII possibly having Jenova cells that the original game just kinda forgets about

Huh, I don't remember that plot from the original at all. Where does it come up? It's been ages since I've played the original so my memory's pretty fuzzy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

FFVIIR treatment:.
IV
VI
VIII
Tactics, Tactics Advance

FF:SoP treatment:
III
V
Crystal Chronicles

This post speaks the true true

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just really want some new final fantasy tactics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something fun I realized about FF7R at the end of my replay: people often point out how Aerith never got to fight Sephiroth in the original, but I also think this might be the first time we've been able to have Cloud and Sephiroth have a playable swordfight in one of these games. You only ever fight Sephiroth in monstrous form in the original (sure, there's the big Omnislash moment at the end, but that's a cutscene that's using the battle engine and not a real fight), and while Sephiroth in human form has appeared as a boss in a lot of spinoffs, you never fight him as Cloud. You fight him as Sora in the KH games, or as Zack in Crisis Core, but never as Cloud.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In the flashback in FF7 simply have Cloud attack Sephiroth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, you can have Cloud vs. Sephiroth in Ehrgeiz, that's something

(obviously you can also now do that in Smash but that happened after FF7R)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Huh, I don't remember that plot from the original at all. Where does it come up? It's been ages since I've played the original so my memory's pretty fuzzy.

Red says something about his number meaning he's one of Hojo's experients, then it never comes up again unless I'm missing something obvious. I just took it that Hojo numbers his crimes against nature not that he was clone XIII necessarily.

It's been a long time since I played it, but they never explain why he is Red XIII rather than just XIII. Maybe just being cute about it because he's red or maybe a designation who knows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Red says something about his number meaning he's one of Hojo's experients, then it never comes up again unless I'm missing something obvious. I just took it that Hojo numbers his crimes against nature not that he was clone XIII necessarily.

It's been a long time since I played it, but they never explain why he is Red XIII rather than just XIII. Maybe just being cute about it because he's red or maybe a designation who knows.

Ahhhh, okay. Yeah they never explain why XIII. Hojo sure does like to number his experiments, though. I guess the only reason he didn't tattoo a number on Aerith is he doesn't want to do anything that could mess up that particular specimen.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Sephiroth" is just a cool sounding name some Shinra exec came up with for their new supersoldier to improve the propaganda/marketing. Left to his own devices Hojo would have named the kid, I dunno, Gray 28 or something stupid and impersonal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Ahhhh, okay. Yeah they never explain why XIII. Hojo sure does like to number his experiments, though. I guess the only reason he didn't tattoo a number on Aerith is he doesn't want to do anything that could mess up that particular specimen.

alternatively she has ANCIENT II tattooed on her back and just doesn't mention it

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Of all games to get the FFVIIR treatment, I think I'd go with 5 or 8. On the one hand, they're two of my favorites and I think they're perfect as-is and so my initial reaction was "I would just enjoy fancy new graphics, no other changes". The more I think about it, though, between the weirdness of the Void and the dimensional split, or the timey-wimey antics of Compression and the Ellone engine, you could probably do something real weird with the stories that let them act like semi-sequels or gaiden games and that might be fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The more I think about it the more I think VIII would be my choice. Like I said in my other post, I don't really get the same feeling from it of like straining against its technical limitations that I do from VII, but at the same time, it has a lot of moments that I think would translate really well to a modern treatment. Even just the first couple discs have a bunch of really grand set pieces and cool missions that were really ambitious for the time and would be really cool to play out in an FFVIIR-style action-RPG. I'm thinking about things like the SeeD field exam, the switching train cars mission, the mission to assassinate Edea, and the Garden vs. Garden battle, stuff like that.

And then yeah they could probably go really nuts with Time Compression too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think my 2nd-biggest gripe about VIII after the "Adel flooding the airwaves with screaming threats for 17 years" bit being criminally underused, is how we get barely any visuals of Time Compression. IIRC the overworld is exactly the same after it happens, the castle itself is just a typical Scary Gothic Castle... I'm pretty sure the single view you get is on the beach right before climbing the giant chain, and even that's barely any different despite Squall specifically calling it out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I think about the FFVIII Orphanage Twist and why it bugs me, because on paper there's not really anything wrong with it. And I think the reason is that I think the "GFs eat your memories" thing is underused. It's a plot element that exists only to set up that twist and nothing else, and I think that's a shame, because I love it when magic has a real cost, and "the entities that allow non-sorceresses to perform magic basically crowd out your memories as they hang out in your brain" is cool as gently caress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Of all games to get the FFVIIR treatment, I think I'd go with 5 or 8. On the one hand, they're two of my favorites and I think they're perfect as-is and so my initial reaction was "I would just enjoy fancy new graphics, no other changes". The more I think about it, though, between the weirdness of the Void and the dimensional split, or the timey-wimey antics of Compression and the Ellone engine, you could probably do something real weird with the stories that let them act like semi-sequels or gaiden games and that might be fun.

Harrow posted:

The more I think about it the more I think VIII would be my choice. Like I said in my other post, I don't really get the same feeling from it of like straining against its technical limitations that I do from VII, but at the same time, it has a lot of moments that I think would translate really well to a modern treatment. Even just the first couple discs have a bunch of really grand set pieces and cool missions that were really ambitious for the time and would be really cool to play out in an FFVIIR-style action-RPG. I'm thinking about things like the SeeD field exam, the switching train cars mission, the mission to assassinate Edea, and the Garden vs. Garden battle, stuff like that.

And then yeah they could probably go really nuts with Time Compression too.

Fair warning, I haven't actually played it myself because I heard that the PS4 remaster of FF8 wasn't kinda great, and I'm only remembering some things from Cool Ghost's LP of it from here- but I think that 8 would benefit the most- and not just because that means Square Enix would have to make a T-rex into an enemy I can fight multiple of or a boss fight, but it's a game where too much of the world building is off to the side in NPC chatter and the Garden emails and it'd be nice to get that stuff out of it and into the main character's mouths directly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Fair warning, I haven't actually played it myself because I heard that the PS4 remaster of FF8 wasn't kinda great

IMO the only real issue with the remaster is something that might not even bother you if you haven't played the original.

The original PS1 version came out just after the first DualShock controller and so had analog movement built into it, the kind of smooth 360-degree movement you expect in games you control with an analog stick. You could also play it with the d-pad and it works fine with 8-way movement, but the analog always feels nice. The PC version that came later came out at a time when controllers for PC weren't very common, so it only has the 8-way movement, since people would mostly be playing with a keyboard. The remaster is based on the PC version and so doesn't have analog movement--even if you use an analog stick, you can only move in 8 directions. That's not really game-breaking at all, and it's how FFVII plays on modern consoles and that's not really a problem (FFVII never had analog movement in the first place).

If you've never played it before you might not even notice it's "wrong," but it bugs me a lot. And unlike with the FFIX PC version, nobody has been able to mod it to allow for analog movement, which is a shame.

The only other issues I'm aware of with the FFVIII remaster is that the new high-res character models end up revealing that some of the NPCs in some scenes were actually part of the prerendered background and now look really blurry in comparison. That doesn't bug me, though, I mostly find it funny (and also kind of interesting to learn that's how they fit extra NPCs on screen without having to actually render their models).

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

My dumb idea was how you have these fan theories, like R=U and "Squall is dead", and that cool ending cutscene when Squall is finding his way home and starts glimpsing messed up versions of previous scenes. So imagine if instead of Time CKompression happening all at once at the very end of the game, you begin the game while it's happening but takes time to ripple forward, like the player is in this weird event horizon of passing time. Subtle at first, with scenes playing incorrectly or maybe Cid ages 30 years between scenes and no one notices, and then eventually a full on surreal take on the compressed world with past and future events occurring at once and altering things. So those fan theories could end up simultaneously 'true' and happen but also not-canon because the final result is something else entirely.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Harrow posted:

Sometimes I think about the FFVIII Orphanage Twist and why it bugs me, because on paper there's not really anything wrong with it.

The problem with the orphanage twist (absent the GF memory stuff which I agree was under explored) is that the revelation of that scene is "we're all alike because we survived and were shaped by the trauma of being orphaned by war."

Beyond simply complicating the plot, adding in "and also we were all placed in the same orphanage and literally grew up together but then we forgot," obscures and reduces this.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 10, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Fair warning, I haven't actually played it myself because I heard that the PS4 remaster of FF8 wasn't kinda great, and I'm only remembering some things from Cool Ghost's LP of it from here- but I think that 8 would benefit the most- and not just because that means Square Enix would have to make a T-rex into an enemy I can fight multiple of or a boss fight, but it's a game where too much of the world building is off to the side in NPC chatter and the Garden emails and it'd be nice to get that stuff out of it and into the main character's mouths directly.

SO MUCH of the worldbuilding in this game would be more accessible if Squall could look at that stuff on a smartphone whenever he wanted instead of trudging back to the Garden periodically to check Selphie's PC to find out about the Lunatic Pandora or GF induced amnesia or whatever.

Buuuuuuut Adel keeps screaming on every wavelenth from her orbital carbonite prison, so I guess mobile coverage is a bit poo poo in this world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Remake: Strangers of Paradise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also I hope the Final Fantasy Origin subtitle means we'll be getting more insane side-stories/quasi-prequels to other FF games. You know how people always talk about how cool it would be to play a prequel game as 5's Dawn Warriors, Laguna/Kiros/Ward, and Braska/Jecht/Auron? Those sound like perfect candidates for the SoP treatment.

Or maybe do a 2 prequel/side-story where you play as Emperor Mateus and spend the game accumulating power and obliterating towns, even including the part where he conquers hell after dying.

There's so much potential to go batshit insane considering how well they nailed SoP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The problem with the orphanage twist (absent the GF memory stuff which I agree was under explored) is that the revelation of that scene is "we're all alike because we survived and were shaped by the trauma of being orphaned by war."

Beyond simply complicating the plot, adding in "and also we were all placed in the same orphanage and literally grew up together but then we forgot," obscures and reduces this.

I think it's just sort of a reveal pileup.

"GFs eat your memories" - cool
"Irvine was raised by Edea which is why he struggled to take the shot earlier" - cool
"We were war orphans and forgot because of GFs" - yeah, sure, cool
"Also all of this happened in the same orphanage and all of us knew each other as kids except Rinoa" - well okay hold on a moment

I think if even just stopped short of "and we were all at the same orphanage" it would've been more impactful for me. Maybe both Squall and Irvine were at the same orphanage and got separated, and Squall forgot because of GFs while Irvine remembered and so struggled to see Edea as his enemy. Everyone else is also a war orphan and forgot because of GFs but they weren't all necessarily from the same orphanage. Still a big twist, but just a little less overladen.

Mega64 posted:

You know how people always talk about how cool it would be to play a prequel game as 5's Dawn Warriors, Laguna/Kiros/Ward, and Braska/Jecht/Auron? Those sound like perfect candidates for the SoP treatment.

One of the ideas the team had for FFX-2 was to play Braska, Jecht, and Auron's story, but they decided instead to do a more upbeat sequel story with an all-female party rather than a prequel with an already-established sad ending. I do still think it'd be cool to play that prequel at some point, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Was stranger of paradise any good?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think what I would do is, since Irvine's the only one who never lost his memories, actually explore that and have him utterly confused as to why nobody recognize him. Every conversation is him trying to drop hints to see if anybody else remembers until they get to Trabia.

What I really want, though, is an FFVIII where you can junction a GF the same way Ultimecia junctions Griever. It doesn't have to be as intense. But I like it when enemies have access to the same game mechanics you do, and all I can think when I see Junctioned Griever is "Why can't I do that?"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Yes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Yes, extremely so if you were a fan of Nioh/Nioh 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

What I really want, though, is an FFVIII where you can junction a GF the same way Ultimecia junctions Griever. It doesn't have to be as intense. But I like it when enemies have access to the same game mechanics you do, and all I can think when I see Junctioned Griever is "Why can't I do that?"

Yeah the word "junction" has some pretty wildly different meanings for the player versus enemies. When the player characters junction GFs, it's like a spiritual or mental thing, where the GFs live in their minds until summoned or have some sort of spiritual connection that lets them draw power from it. Meanwhile when sorceresses junction things--whether those are people or GFs--it's this horrifying physical conjoining. Somehow these are the same thing and it's wild.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Schwarzwald posted:

Seifer also never had a GF and knew everything all along. He only acted like an rear end in a top hat to everyone because they collectively behaved like strangers to each other and he didn't mention anything about memory loss or living with the same "mom" for years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SettingSun posted:

Yes, extremely so if you were a fan of Nioh/Nioh 2.

I’ve heard that name but I don’t know what those games are

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Seifer also never had a GF and knew everything all along. He only acted like an rear end in a top hat to everyone because they collectively behaved like strangers to each other and he didn't mention anything about memory loss or living with the same "mom" for years.

Where does this come from? I thought he had the same magical forgetting as everyone else, especially since he was at Balamb Garden and they all use GFs. The only reason Irvine didn't forget is because Balamb is the only Garden that uses GFs IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can junction a GF to Seifer on the Dollet mission can't you?

Seifer is a bit cold blooded but I don't think he is the sort of cold blooded that thinks "gonna go stab my mom so I can go on a date."