Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

The trailer was bad, but some people are very much overreacting. What's so badass about Valkia anyway, did she ascend to godhood in AoS like Morathi or Alarielle?

No she's just a favored Champion of Khorne. Probably his most favored as it's known whenever she's on the field that Khorne is certainly watching, so the Khornates fight even harder. She's also one of the few Champions of Khorne that he has forgiven failure from. Like her backstory involves her making the journey to the Realm of Chaos to gift Khrone the head of a Slaaneshi Daemon Prince she slew, but the Prince's followers ambushed her at the entrance overwhelmed and killed her. Normally Khrone would not care as he gives little thought to the losers, but he really liked Valkia and was very invested in her so he revived her in a more pleasing form to him and she slew her attackers before presenting him the head (Which he let her keep and transformed into her shield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

she was a norscan woman who had a slaaneshi demon prince perv on her. she cut off his head and vowed to carry it personally to khorne, and walked into the chaos waste, fighting until she eventually died of a combination of wounds and starvation. khorne was so impressed he raised her to daemonhood and shes like the one person in the universe khorne really cares about. she's like pure willpower and fury despite not having been born special or anything.

so its bullshit to have her getting beaten on by slaaneshi mooks

she should have arrived to like a routing khorne army and have them be like 'we're saved' only for her to mow them down herself for fleeing and drive the rest of them back to battle

Pretty sure it was a ambush from Slaaneshi's that initially killed her.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Even on a basic level I don't really understand the trailer.

Valkia flies in from the sky which gets the enemy leaders attention, beats up some goons and then gets overwhelmed. She screams and flies into the sky which for some reason seems to shock the enemy leader. He just saw her get overwhelmed and forced to flee, why did that seem to scare him?
Looking at the blog which lists her abilities, I think the idea was to show her invulnerability and "inspire-friendlies" abilities.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure it was a ambush from Slaaneshi's that initially killed her.

yeah youre right i forgot exactly what killed her

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Nobody knows anything about the blood dlc, least of all why it has taken so long

They had it basically ready at release with TWW 2, right?

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
This thread has reached reddit levels of bad

Slaneeshi nobody stares at a snake and calls it an introduction trailer and nobody bats an eye

but when the famboy favorite doesn't punch at least 5 Grimgrogs everyone loses their minds

I think I'm going to try Azazel first.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Goatson posted:

Same. Him or Vilitch, Slaanesh and Tzeentch are the most interesting Chaos factions to me but my Ursun campaign was a Kislev one and it looks like Vilitch starts sort of in that part of the RoC map so Azazel would let me explore the eastern side of that map.

I'll give Immortal Empires a few weeks to catch all the really noticeable balance issues and bugs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Goatson posted:

Slaneeshi nobody stares at a snake and calls it an introduction trailer and nobody bats an eye

but when the famboy favorite doesn't punch at least 5 Grimgrogs everyone loses their minds

azazels trailer was good though

it showed off their character which fit their god theme and they both fit and work

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact she blasted all of the guys around her and then rose into the air while invigorating her army.

This is what I got from it. It's implied she gets right back into the fight. Also out of all of the lords she's the only one shown fighting.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Reminder that the trailer for Villitch featured getting his entire retinue killed and him getting nailed by a javelin.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
From the backstory it sounds like Valkia's one notable character trait aside from the standard Khorne anger is perseverance. So a trailer where she gets beat up but keeps going seems fitting.

The problem is unlike the other trailers they show her fighting and it doesn't look very cool. It should just have started with her being piled on by half the enemy army and then doing the flying into the air thing.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Goatson posted:

Azazels trailer was great though. It showed him being bored by the carnage around him which fits a slaneeshi champ really well. He only really gets giddy with joy once he sees a suitable challenge appear, which informs us that he loves (a worthwhile) challenge and that he's probably a badass. His smile at the end as he charges the Khorne champion is perfect

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The general impression from the Valkia trailer I got was that she was fixated on and challenging the Slaanesh Chaos Lord which is why she kept getting jumped by others cause he was a coward. Yet for all their attempts to overcome her, she weathers their blows, blasts clear unharmed which startles the Lord and then she sends in the army because gently caress that guy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"The thread is going crazy this trailer must be really bad!"

:shrug: It's... pretty generic? Eh. It's not good, they chose a direction and it wasn't particularly inspired. Valkia also kills ten dudes in single strikes before she's inconvenienced by a hundred so not exactly an unintentional "lol women" set up. He-Man Womun Haters don't seem to be a big part of the fanbase, though I don't visit the official forums much but go by memetic popularity and general fan buzz across many social sites. They are there, sure(MIXED UNITS FOR CATHAY AAAAAA I'M FREAKING OUT MY HISTORICAL ACCURACY), but everybody sensible has a laugh at them and then talks about how every lady in the setting is a loveable badass mommy or loveable murder kitten. That could be its own form of misogyny but go down the list and I think the "worst" TWWH does is that Aranessa is the weakest Vamp Coast lord by comparison to the other three on super mounts/their faction benefits, one of which was taking a risk on an OC badass heavy gal. Remember the original Repanse reveal?

The real crime is that of the four trailers she has the least personality(i.e. in animations) by far so I look forward to giving her a campaign run, hearing voice lines and seeing attack animations and all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think people just like Valkia because the setting doesn't have a lot of cool noteworthy warrior barbarian women so they just wanted her to be a lil bit cooler in her intro :3:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The posting will only get more deranged and nitpicky as we near IE beta release

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Valkia needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Whenever Valkia's not on screen, all the other legendary lords should be asking, "Where's Valkia?"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zzulu posted:

I think people just like Valkia because the setting doesn't have a lot of cool noteworthy warrior barbarian women so they just wanted her to be a lil bit cooler in her intro :3:

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Well if Valkia Let's Play today is just a 12 minute supercut of her getting jobbed by various tier 1 infantry units then we'll know CA's ~true intentions~.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If no one knew it was going to be Valkia it might be better. But CA is a super leak machine and every had over a month to think about it. CA realy needs to figure out how not to leak all their info, because it does make reveals a lot less cool and surprising.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Absolutely no way it wasn't going to be Valkia the moment they announced it was a Warriors of Chaos DLC. There is no other noteworthy mortal champion of Khorne.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
The only bad thing about the valkia one was it was so short. They got shorter as they went on.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Doomykins posted:

He-Man Womun Haters don't seem to be a big part of the fanbase

sorry, we're talking about warhammer, right?????

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Azran posted:

Absolutely no way it wasn't going to be Valkia the moment they announced it was a Warriors of Chaos DLC. There is no other noteworthy mortal champion of Khorne.

Literally the only other one that comes to mind is Arbaal, and he hasn't been a thing since, what, 5th edition?

e,: Looking it up, he hasn't had a model since 5th, but was mentioned in the army books up until 8th, and was included in End Times, where he was killed by Caradryan.

Hellbore fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 10, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The DLC is now up on Fanatical at 25% off: https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/total-war-warhammer-iii-champions-of-chaos

They’re a partnered Sega retailer so now issues with shady keys or whatever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hellbore posted:

Literally the only other one that comes to mind is Arbaal, and he hasn't been a thing since, what, 5th edition?

e,: Looking it up, he hasn't had a model since 5th, but was mentioned in the army books up until 8th, and was included in End Times, where he was killed by Caradryan.

I'm really fond of Arbaal and his goofy model. It's a shame that many of the characters in the 'Paladins of Chaos' never got updated rules and models.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

moonmazed posted:

sorry, we're talking about warhammer, right?????

Total War Warhammer, sure. I don't know a drat thing about how bad the grognard pits of the tabletop community work. I know you're taking the piss about "male gamer nerd hobby am i rite" but in several years all the popular buzz I've ever heard about the lady characters in the Total War part of the fanbase is how cool they are. Or how horny the speaker is, but at least that holds a degree of admiration as well. I think I've heard maybe a distant grumble or two that Cylostra is a fat chick.

I'm sure there's a festering boil of "ackshually a woman couldn't hold a greatsword" gamers in every fanbase applicable but here it seems that the warm blanket of over the top badassery covers all. Worrying about a hopefully minority hateful view seems a waste of time. And it came up at all because Valkia got a weak trailer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lp up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4NeuapEWao&t=2s

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gonkish posted:

Slambo is reserved for LL 100. Fitting, as he is the pinnacle of all things.

I can never tell if we're joking or not, but I could legitimately see CA launching the beloved joke character right at the end of the game's release lifecycle, once everyone else is out of the way and it doesn't risk disrupting the, uh, "seriousness" of the setting.

Give that boy some silly axe-related skills, a funny trailer song, and you're guaranteed a final burst of excitement and buzz.

She looks fun! And I'm perversely charmed by the baffling bark, "BLOOD...DOES NOT EVAPORATE EASILY"

grobbo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 10, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mmm, good VA and nice fluid animations in battle. Really fun to see the back and forth swing of rising on her wings before the spear slam. :allears:

A good LP vid as the others were. Well, except for putting the trailer in it again for some reason. :laffo:

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Doomykins posted:

Total War Warhammer, sure. I don't know a drat thing about how bad the grognard pits of the tabletop community work. I know you're taking the piss about "male gamer nerd hobby am i rite" but in several years all the popular buzz I've ever heard about the lady characters in the Total War part of the fanbase is how cool they are. Or how horny the speaker is, but at least that holds a degree of admiration as well. I think I've heard maybe a distant grumble or two that Cylostra is a fat chick.

I'm sure there's a festering boil of "ackshually a woman couldn't hold a greatsword" gamers in every fanbase applicable but here it seems that the warm blanket of over the top badassery covers all. Worrying about a hopefully minority hateful view seems a waste of time. And it came up at all because Valkia got a weak trailer.

The Warhammer fanbase has more of a white supremacist problem then it does a misogyny problem(well mostly, there's some occasional weird poo poo surrounding the Sisters of Battle).

With that said while it's not really a big deal or anything that trailer is kind of lame and doesn't really sell Valkia particularly well.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Kuiperdolin posted:

Valkia needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Whenever Valkia's not on screen, all the other legendary lords should be asking, "Where's Valkia?"

Too bad they wasted Brian Blessed on Gotrek.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cannibal Llama posted:

The Warhammer fanbase has more of a white supremacist problem then it does a misogyny problem(well mostly, there's some occasional weird poo poo surrounding the Sisters of Battle).

The latter usually comes with the former. Not a lot of feminist fasc out there.

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

DeathSandwich posted:

The latter usually comes with the former. Not a lot of feminist fasc out there.

Well true enough, I guess what I mean is that a lot of Warhammer fans are OK with strong prominent women as long as they're attractive and white or like hot elf babes or whatever. Meanwhile I've actually seen a lot of hate for Cylostra because she's not attractive for them as well as a lot of hate for Valkia when that art of her was first leaked because they thought she was ugly. Then the trailer dropped and she had a bit of a redesign since that art and I guess they find her hot now, so uh go figure.

I'm just saying that if they added a black or brown Amazon LL to a Dog of War DLC or whatever you would see a poo poo ton of hatred that you wouldn't find for most of the female LLs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's funny because Cylostra is like the best VCoast lord.

She just wants to sing for Ulthuan. Why do these elves keep trying to stop her?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

It's funny because Cylostra is like the best VCoast lord.

She just wants to sing for Ulthuan. Why do these elves keep trying to stop her?

Cylosta isn't the coolest VCoast lord, but it's not her fault. She's just up against Luthor who is the best character in this setting.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Still can't believe they let Richard Spencer direct the Valkia trailer

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I saw dual-wielding Skullcrushers in that video. I don’t think those have been mentioned before.

Anyone else glean anything new or interesting?

Edit: Turns out they have been mentioned in the initial DLC announcement, an RoR called Knights of the Brazen Throne.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-introducing-the-coc/

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 10, 2022

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Noctilus is the best Coast LL because he's more of a nautical themed Vampire Count then he is a pirate, he has the coolest starting location in the game arguably, and he can be mounted on a Necrofex and lead an army of 19 other Necrofexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Get 'em Morak