Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Not a Children posted:

I’ve never found all-hands trainings useful and find it infinitely more tolerable to just Google what I need out of a software package

Same; I accept people have different ways of learning and might benefit from a group training session, but I'm 42 years old and know how my brain works, just give me a login, some CBT and a wiki/manual and I'll get on with it. If you don't HAVE CBT then I'll just take the manual. Please do not make me spend hours with people who question every step of every process and print out every screen of the CBT and put it in a ring binder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fil5000 posted:

just give me a login, some CBT and a wiki/manual and I'll get on with it.

:stonk:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

, but I'm 42 years old and know how my brain works,

You heard the man!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh god am I the baddies

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Holy poo poo, took me a hot second. Needed to go to urban dictionary for that one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ohhhh NOW I see what I did.

I maintain THAT CBT is probably less painful than spending a day in a room full of people without questions but with many comments on the training.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ah it's time for another "someone else is being audited and the dragnet covers all related areas so that means you're being audited too! Here's a spreadsheet full of inane requests for 'evidence' with no explanation, half of which are not relevant because the auditors copied it from another organisation and forgot to scrub the other client names off".

I hope I get to do some malicious compliance again this time by refusing to provide data because "how do I know it will be handled securely?".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ah it's time for another "someone else is being audited and the dragnet covers all related areas so that means you're being audited too! Here's a spreadsheet full of inane requests for 'evidence' with no explanation, half of which are not relevant because the auditors copied it from another organisation and forgot to scrub the other client names off".

I hope I get to do some malicious compliance again this time by refusing to provide data because "how do I know it will be handled securely?".

You're gonna copy those evidence screenshots into the Excel file so you can email them to some 1st year at whichever Big 4 is doing the audit, and you're gonna like it :D

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Please provide screenshots of parameters used to obtain evidence to gain comfort over completeness and accuracy of the resulting data.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Having to send the 2017 government memo laying out how the model scores were calculated that were publicly available from their website about the model was annoying the first year.

Having to send the same memo again the second year was comical.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

skipdogg posted:

You're gonna copy those evidence screenshots into the Excel file so you can email them to some 1st year at whichever Big 4 is doing the audit, and you're gonna like it :D

I just did *exactly* this

Democratic Pirate posted:

Please provide screenshots of parameters used to obtain evidence to gain comfort over completeness and accuracy of the resulting data.

And this. Well, actually I didn't do that for two areas because for one I couldn't get access to query the thing (oh no, defeated by our robust control policy!), and the other I just said "I could send you a screenshot of the value in a config file but that doesn't really make sense because it says nothing about what is actually done with it".

I highly look forward to the inevitable "can you please prove that data is correct" discussion that happens every. loving. Time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not a Children posted:

I’ve never found all-hands trainings useful and find it infinitely more tolerable to just Google what I need out of a software package

The point isn’t to transfer knowledge; it’s to transfer liability.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Renegret posted:

Whenever we get a new process that requires another department to do something or hold them to a certain SLA, I always ask if that department knows about it. I'm always told yes and they'll be ready.

They're never ready, and they've almost never even heard of said process. Most of the time it's because said department's management has been notified but never bothered communicating down to the grunts.

At this point I keep asking just because it's funny. We have another one of those going live today and I'm super excited for the fallout because this time it's with a notoriously lovely group and the process revolves around them acting in good faith which they never do.

Same at my company but no one is even asking if the other departments know - “it’s all in Confluence”! :haw:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

skipdogg posted:

Ok good, now please send the video of you taking the screenshot via horseback messenger to our office in BFE, North Dakota.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Just had to sit through a corporatization of “allyship” training.

Seems kinda convenient for the company how they managed to make “ask less for yourself” a critical component of being an “ally”.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dobbs_Head posted:

Just had to sit through a corporatization of “allyship” training.

Seems kinda convenient for the company how they managed to make “ask less for yourself” a critical component of being an “ally”.

“ask less for yourself (in salary increase)”

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So naturally your takeaway was, that they are trying to get you to form a union, so you can ask for more for all of you instead of just yourself, right?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

So naturally your takeaway was, that they are trying to get you to form a union, so you can ask for more for all of you instead of just yourself, right?

There are only 10 million companies in the US vs. 231 million white Americans, which means that companies are persecuted minorities in the US along with the 614 "people of means" who are frequently demonized as "billionaires".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

At this point I keep asking just because it's funny. We have another one of those going live today and I'm super excited for the fallout because this time it's with a notoriously lovely group and the process revolves around them acting in good faith which they never do.

A little update on this.

I don't know what happened because the follow up SLA is 24 hours, and I just loving called out sick instead so my family could catch an earlier ferry to a friend's vacation beach house.

I'm on call but I didn't bring my phone or laptop and had no intention of responding to anything. Totally worth it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The gently caress is this?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

"maybe if we trick them into thinking this is a thing it'll stave off the revolution for a bit"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Fil5000 posted:

"maybe if we trick them into thinking this is a thing it'll stave off the revolution for a bit"

IDK, seems accelerationist.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hallmark really, really needs that "new holiday" money I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

One of my jobs asked us to donate to a giftcard for our boss and I laughed until I was sick in that persons face.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Barudak posted:

One of my jobs asked us to donate to a giftcard for our boss and I laughed until I was sick in that persons face.

Assuming they were serious, what were they asking for?

Also :wtc: sounds like a bad ask a manger post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

Assuming they were serious, what were they asking for?

Also :wtc: sounds like a bad ask a manger post.

For Boss's day. Like for Boss appreciation, they were trying to get together a giftcard to starbucks for this person.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have told every direct report at every place I've ever had direct reports to not ever do that. No Boss's Day gift or card, no holiday gift, nothing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Omne posted:

I have told every direct report at every place I've ever had direct reports to not ever do that. No Boss's Day gift or card, no holiday gift, nothing.

My current org strictly forbids any gifts from employees to managers as it can create a conflict of interest.

We have super strict gift, entertainment and conflict of interest policies in place though.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My boss is a nice person but is genuinely awful at being a boss and I feel kind of bad for them

Not bad enough to buy a card tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Omne posted:

gift exchanges between employees is so loving weird especially if they are at different levels.

i guess if it's like a team/office level secret santa or something that is relatively not so bad but then you get in to some deranged reddit posts about office secret santas gone awry so better just to not do anything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My gift to my boss is my continued output.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
A former boss "gifted" me a copy of "Getting Things Done" and thus unlocked in my mind the virtue of weaponized office book-giving.

I think I'm going to give my new manager a printed copy of The Gervais Principle

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Car Hater posted:

A former boss "gifted" me a copy of "Getting Things Done" and thus unlocked in my mind the virtue of weaponized office book-giving.

I think I'm going to give my new manager a printed copy of The Gervais Principle

lol please do this

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Vasudus posted:

:same:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Vasudus posted:

My continued output is not a gift but something I will charge for as much as possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Car Hater posted:

My boss would love that, I think

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Car Hater posted:

"Bullshit Jobs" by Graeber (iirc) if you want to kamikaze.

Alternately, the dunning Kruger paper

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Gifts, much like poo poo, rolls down the org chart

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
lol that the media seems to have latched onto stories about "quiet quitting" which as far as I can tell is just being a slackass, a tale as old as time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

priznat posted:

lol that the media seems to have latched onto stories about "quiet quitting" which as far as I can tell is just being a slackass, a tale as old as time.

MillenniAAALLLLS!