Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there any hype for the Flash? This Flash movie specifically I mean, not the idea of a Flash movie in isolation? They hadn't even put out a trailer before all the Ezra stuff started kicking off so I think most people interested in comic book films were vaguely aware a Flash movie was coming out at some point at best, the majority of people have no idea what movies are coming out until the trailers on youtube or at a convention and posters and stuff start going up right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hype for comic book movies rarely start until, like, a few months before release. The same question was asked for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever just a month ago.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there any hype for the Flash? This Flash movie specifically I mean, not the idea of a Flash movie in isolation? They hadn't even put out a trailer before all the Ezra stuff started kicking off so I think most people interested in comic book films were vaguely aware a Flash movie was coming out at some point at best, the majority of people have no idea what movies are coming out until the trailers on youtube or at a convention and posters and stuff start going up right?

The Flash 2014 series loving ripped and kicked off a bunch of CW spinoffs and people were hyped as hell for a feature film. Then DC/WB decided to do an Avengers thing but worse.

It's especially frustrating because they obviously know what the 20-40 year old demographic wants to see (see Titans) but they cannot stop loving with it. I dunno if Geoff Johns is still in charge and he's being stubborn but they still whiff at every softball thrown at them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It blows my mind Titans is still going on. I think I dropped midway through season 2 - it was just too terrible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Ezra is white and thus gets infinite chances to screw up.

And their main victim is an indigenous 2S person, a group that US society couldn't possibly give less of a poo poo about.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is still going on and that Flash is still happening, but it's obvious why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jaxyon posted:

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is still going on and that Flash is still happening, but it's obvious why.

Ezra Miller has used their white skin to put WB's movie executives in their thrall. That's why the media keeps posting those pictures of them looking fierce; if you stare at them long enough you'll be next! Truly this person is a criminal mastermind.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 9, 2022

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I like Zac Snyder and all, but he must answer for his crimes of inflicting war criminal Gal Gadot and sex cultist Ezra Miller upon us.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

porfiria posted:

I like Zac Snyder and all, but he must answer for his crimes of inflicting war criminal Gal Gadot and sex cultist Ezra Miller upon us.

I mean, Snyder couldn't have possibly known about what Ezra Miller would do later.

Gadot...sure.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 10, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, I thought Ezra MIller was a super interesting and cool choice until it became clear they are an unstable, abusive maniac.

Maybe by the late 2020's, when the terrible truth emerges about [Tom Holland, Zendaya, Timothee Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan], we'll all wonder what Kevin Feige, Denis Villeneuve, or Greta Gerwig were thinking by enabling these animals.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Henry Cavill cancels out the rest, so Snyder can just hold on to praise from boosting him.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

porfiria posted:

Why is Gal Gadot a war criminal?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hazo posted:

Why is Gal Gadot a war criminal?

She's Israeli and all Israeli citizens have to serve 2 years in the IDF.

She hasn't actually committed any war crimes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

She has said multiple times that Israel's bombings are totally justified and that it's Palestine's fault for having kids around bombing targets. Targets like hospitals and school yards.

She also served in the military herself and said she'd go back to it at one point, if she felt she was needed lol.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's Israeli and all Israeli citizens have to serve 2 years in the IDF.

She hasn't actually committed any war crimes.

She hasn't actually committed any war crimes that we know of

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KittyEmpress posted:

She also served in the military herself and said she'd go back to it at one point, if she felt she was needed lol.

Israel's government sucks, but literally every Israeli has to serve in the IDF. She was a personal trainer and gymnastics instructor.

KittyEmpress posted:

She has said multiple times that Israel's bombings are totally justified and that it's Palestine's fault for having kids around bombing targets. Targets like hospitals and school yards.

She didn't say that.

quote:

After Hamas kidnapped three Israeli children in 2014, the Israel Defense Forces initiated Operation Brother's Keeper. The children's bodies were eventually discovered on June 30th and Hamas admitted responsibility for the killings. As part of the operation, in the following 11 days Israel arrested around 350 Palestinians, including nearly all of Hamas's West Bank leaders. Five Palestinians were killed during the military operation.

Shortly after the search for the children began, Gadot posted a picture on Facebook of herself with her 3-year old daughter with the caption, "I am sending my love and prayers to my fellow Israeli citizens. Especially to all the boys and girls who are risking their lives protecting my country against the horrific acts conducted by Hamas, who are hiding like cowards behind women and children...We shall overcome!!! Shabbat Shalom!"

I'm not really a fan of Gadot, but people are making up some wild stuff about her.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I thought Ezra MIller was a super interesting and cool choice until it became clear they are an unstable, abusive maniac.

Maybe by the late 2020's, when the terrible truth emerges about [Tom Holland, Zendaya, Timothee Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan], we'll all wonder what Kevin Feige, Denis Villeneuve, or Greta Gerwig were thinking by enabling these animals.

I really don't want to learn that Iman Vellani eats kitten alive.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The worst thing Gal has done is "both sides"ing during one of Israels unprovoked bombings of Palestine. It's cowardly, but not a war crime.

On the other hand, Ray Fisher had no problem supporting Palestine

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1395446935553728513?s=20&t=wwxdpWcV39f2wwYihYK1QA

At least Gal didn't sign that gross Polanski Petition

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah that's kind of my understanding. She's no more war-crimey than anyone else in the IDF.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A comprise. They should recast Gadot with the girl who runs that Taylor Swift fan Twitter account.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

A comprise. They should recast Gadot with the girl who runs that Taylor Swift fan Twitter account.

lmao

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I hope Flash comes out so far from now that the backlash against his piano wire and paintball pad suit is forgotten so it can be born anew.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Israel's government sucks, but literally every Israeli has to serve in the IDF.

If she'd wanted to get out of it she could have claimed to be orthodox, which is an automatic exemption for women, and at the time she served was not something the government investigated at all. You say you're orthodox and that's it, you can go about your life. Similarly, pacifists, including secular pacifists, don't have to serve. As a result of those and other exemptions, 33% of Israeli men and 44% of Israeli women don't serve in the IDF.

If you want to argue that lying is more immoral than serving in the IDF, feel free, but "literally every Israeli has to serve" is nonsense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

If she'd wanted to get out of it she could have claimed to be orthodox, which is an automatic exemption for women, and at the time she served was not something the government investigated at all. You say you're orthodox and that's it, you can go about your life. Similarly, pacifists, including secular pacifists, don't have to serve. As a result of those and other exemptions, 33% of Israeli men and 44% of Israeli women don't serve in the IDF.

If you want to argue that lying is more immoral than serving in the IDF, feel free, but "literally every Israeli has to serve" is nonsense.

A) That would not work because she obviously isn't haredi.

B) You don't get an exemption for "being orthodox." You have to actively be enrolled in a Yeshiva and engaging in Talmudic study.

Edit: Your exemption figures are also WAY off. I'm assuming you just googled because those figures include the ~25% of Israeli citizens who are Muslim or Christian and are exempt. Very few people get exemptions for claiming to be pacifist - they have non-military divisions of the IDF for national service. These are the actual official figures for eligible draftees with non-religious exemptions:

quote:

4 percent for psychological reasons, 2 percent for physical health reasons, 3 percent due to existing criminal records, and 3 percent due to residing abroad.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 10, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm seeing multiple sources that say that women need only attest to being orthodox in order to receive a religious exemption. That the requirement of being in Yeshiva and engaging in Talmudic study is only for men. You seem to be informed about this, so I'll simply ask, are you sure that requirement exists for women?

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Regardless of where you all land on this question, can we agree that it’s hyperbolic to claim Gal Gadot is a literal war criminal? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love lovely center-right positions on Israel-Palestine, but I’m not about to call everyone who’s done mandatory IDF service a war criminal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm seeing multiple sources that say that women need only attest to being orthodox in order to receive a religious exemption. That the requirement of being in Yeshiva and engaging in Talmudic study is only for men. You seem to be informed about this, so I'll simply ask, are you sure that requirement exists for women?

We're getting way off topic, but the law allowing religious exemptions to the draft was struck down in 2012 and the replacement plan struck down in 2017. Since then, the KMs of the Likud party have gotten extensions for the court order.

The new government in 2021 let the extensions expire. They also passed a new law sharply reducing religious exemptions for IDF service among haredi - who make up the overwhelming number of exemptions - that has gone into effect:

quote:

Ironically, though the bill would ostensibly make life easier for yeshiva students, it has been fiercely opposed by ultra-Orthodox lawmakers who claim it is a ploy to draw Haredim out of Torah studies and the Haredi way of life.

Many of them heckled Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and other government members after the vote, calling out, “Shame on you.”

“You have turned Torah learners into criminals,” charged United Torah Judaism MK Yaakov Asher. “The truth is known, there is no need for conscription, the military already has thousands of soldiers it doesn’t need. The biggest absurd is that those who decided whether Torah learners would be criminals are the Arab MKs.”

quote:

UTJ head Moshe Gafni called the vote “one of Israeli politics’ lowest points,” adding: “A dismal, humiliating, anti-Jewish, anti-Torah law. Now you’re bringing another law on national service, wanting to integrate Haredim in state apparatuses. We won’t integrate, we want to stay far away from you, you are people without ideology.”

quote:

Defense Minister Benny Gantz said the passage of the law was “the first step on the way to a comprehensive service plan I intend to advance, which will fulfill the security and social needs of the State of Israel for decades to come.

quote:

According to Gantz’s plan, all Israelis will ultimately be required to perform some form of national service after high school. Each year, the quota for the number of people required to perform national service would rise by 5,000, until, after six to eight years, every eligible person would be covered.

This was in reaction to larger and larger sections of the population becoming exempt because the haredi and Arab population of Israel has been growing much faster than the secular Jewish population.

quote:

The catalyst for this change comes from a growing demographic of those unwilling to serve. According to the 1949 Israeli Security Service Law, conscription to military service is compulsory for all Israelis who turn 18. Only two groups are exempt from mandatory military service: the ultra-Orthodox and Arab Israelis. Together these groups constitute over 30% of the Israeli population and, as their birth rate is significantly higher than other groups within Israel, they are set to constitute a whopping 60% of the Israeli population by 2050.

And even though we are way off topic, this was the original point:

Xealot posted:

Regardless of where you all land on this question, can we agree that it’s hyperbolic to claim Gal Gadot is a literal war criminal? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love lovely center-right positions on Israel-Palestine, but I’m not about to call everyone who’s done mandatory IDF service a war criminal.

She was a literal personal trainer and gymnastics instructor for the IDF in Tel Aviv. It would be extremely difficult to commit war crimes even if she wanted to from that position.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 10, 2022

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Yes, that's a patently absurd position. She's said some pretty sketch things about the Palestinian conflict but having lovely opinions and being in non-combatant military service doesn't make you a war criminal.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gal Gadot is 37, so would have served before that 2012 change. You're right this has drifted off-topic and can be dropped, given it seems hard to argue she's a war criminal, as you say. But it's also true that service isn't so mandatory that "literally every Israeli has to serve," which is what I was responding to. There are options that avoid both service and prison time whether or not we would demand someone take them rather than teach gymnastics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hazo posted:

Yeah that's kind of my understanding. She's no more war-crimey than anyone else in the IDF.

That is an extremely war crimey baseline.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

they should recast henry cavill with war criminal adam driver. I’ll have to think of some war criminal replacements for batman and aquaman but nothing’s coming to mind right now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Adam Driver would make a better Batman imo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

wizardofloneliness posted:

they should recast henry cavill with war criminal adam driver. I’ll have to think of some war criminal replacements for batman and aquaman but nothing’s coming to mind right now.

Adam Driver's worst war crime was his Italian accent in House of Gucci.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 10, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Adam Driver would make a better Batman imo

On second thought, Ben Affleck does not need to be replaced.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have a lady friend who refused the IDF draft, and while there was a punishment involving incarceration she didn't seem to feel there was any cruel or really hosed up punishment. I think it may have been like 3 months? Very impressive for someone to go through that, I don't want to discount it at all or defend Israel, but it was also far from impossible for people who genuinely oppose the IDF.

I haven't seen her in a while and I'm certainly lacking in detail, but I just got the impression that for people who seriously cared, refusing your mandated service was very achievable, albeit stressful. I can't comment on how this stuff would affect people's job prospects etc., but I'm gonna go ahead and doubt that Gal was just too frightened of the consequences.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
We need to destroy the villain Gal Gadot, she poses too much of a risk.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

:hai:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zack Snyder seems to be the only director to coax a decent performance from her. Patty Jenkins was another but then WW84 happened and she lost that magic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hottake: I don't think Gadot's performance is actually that bad in Wonder Woman 1984, and I'm not actually sure anyone's performance is that bad in WW84. Wiig, Pine, and Pascal are definitely doing a pretty good job.

I think the problem with the movie is that the plot and theming are a mess and Jenkins just can't really direct camp. It's also a very oddly edited movie in ways that don't really account for the attempt at camp. Also the rape which honestly for all the movie's flaws, I probably would have actually kinda liked it if that wasn't there. Still would have been a bad movie though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So, apparently, not only was getting rid of Ezra Miller ever an option but they were having them come in for additional shoots and photography after the kidnapping stuff came to light.

Work has kept up on The Flash, which has been testing well. Miller participated in regularly scheduled additional photography over the summer, apparently without incident, before being charged with burglary — their third arrest this year — on Aug. 7 in Vermont. Still, neither DC nor Zaslav has indicated the film will move from its June 2023 release date, though insiders say the studio is evaluating all options.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So, apparently, not only was getting rid of Ezra Miller ever an option but they were having him come in for additional shoots and photography after the kidnapping stuff came to light.

Work has kept up on The Flash, which has been testing well. Miller participated in regularly scheduled additional photography over the summer, apparently without incident, before being charged with burglary — their third arrest this year — on Aug. 7 in Vermont. Still, neither DC nor Zaslav has indicated the film will move from its June 2023 release date, though insiders say the studio is evaluating all options.

Not really surprising. They made pretty clear that they have too much invested in the movie for it to fail. They aren't going to shun their star in public or do anything that could hurt the movie.

As cynical as it is, I think they are right in their assessment that no matter what Ezra does a large amount of people won't really know or care about it and will pay to see the movie.

Not only do they have $300+ million riding on this specific movie (and likely even more from reshoots and advertising closer to release), but they have potentially billions at stake because The Flash is supposed to start their entire series of spin-offs and team-up movies and launch the new DCCU.