Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My house is an insane flea zone. I've been bugbombing and carpet powdering and setting out traps and it works sometimes but the neighbors have a gopher problem and the gophers have a flea problem so it's like our yard is a waiter that notices our glass of fleas is empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

theironjef posted:

My house is an insane flea zone. I've been bugbombing and carpet powdering and setting out traps and it works sometimes but the neighbors have a gopher problem and the gophers have a flea problem so it's like our yard is a waiter that notices our glass of fleas is empty.

Arson that garçon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish it were possible to do group things but on one's individual time. Like say, I could rehearse for a community play but I'd be able to do it at 1am when I actually have free time. It frustrates me that most of my activities are solo or exclusively with online folks because I don't have free time during the times other people do stuff. If everything was between 11pm and 5am I'd be absolutely free!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I ordered a new laptop on July 28th (and paid in full) from London Drugs.
They told me it would be in on Thursday, August 4, and they would call me when it's available.
It is now the evening of Monday, August 8, and I have heard nothing.
I don't want to be a Karen, but like... over 1000 dollars.
I'm getting a little bit annoyed.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm English, I apologise. Just woke up this morning just before the latest BCS episode is on Netflix, so I'm just browsing some YouTube to kill time. Love to see those people uploading unmarked spoilers as fast as they can to get them clicks, appreciate these guys for sure

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Xbox elite series 2 controller is quite fantastic about the d-pad and joysticks being easily swapped, like there's an extra tall joystick you can swap in that's great for having more precision.

In addition to a rubberized cover thing I got for it (the standard grip surface is too slippery which makes the controller feel too small to boot), I got some replacement buttons in a nicely-contrasting color.

Turns out that replacing the buttons is a huge undertaking with several risky steps, you basically have to completely disassemble the whole controller and unplug things in addition to keeping track of two sizes of torx screws and various other fiddly bits.

I'm still gonna do it, but now I've got to set up a tray and whatnot. Joke's on me, one of the top comments on the YouTube tutorial the company has for the installation process is basically "this video was very helpful, now I know better than to buy this"

And it didn't come with a replacement d-pad, so there'll just be one major part of the controller that's not even all gussied up :argh:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'm English, I apologise. Just woke up this morning just before the latest BCS episode is on Netflix, so I'm just browsing some YouTube to kill time. Love to see those people uploading unmarked spoilers as fast as they can to get them clicks, appreciate these guys for sure

The worst is when they title it “SPOILER - Saul ascends to Heaven” or something, even though the title gives it away.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I ordered a new laptop on July 28th (and paid in full) from London Drugs.
They told me it would be in on Thursday, August 4, and they would call me when it's available.
It is now the evening of Monday, August 8, and I have heard nothing.
I don't want to be a Karen, but like... over 1000 dollars.
I'm getting a little bit annoyed.

Call them. As someone who has worked retail it’s not a bother to check on the status of something that’s late, and chances are it could be that whoever received it got lazy and assumed you would just show up and didn’t feel like calling.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know why but it always bothers me when dilettantes claim that the absolute best equipment is necessary for their hobby/interest when they absolutely do not operate at a level high enough for them to notice the difference

Like someone you know full well can barely put together a stir fry talking about how he only cooks on gas in a carbon steel pan, or the same guy talking about optimal supplements and macros to fuel his lazy three-day bro split

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"gents" barber shops that cater to men with big bushy beards and artofmanliness.com haircuts

(because an androgynous guy like me is out of place there, yet i do not wish to go to a women's hair salon either)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know why but it always bothers me when dilettantes claim that the absolute best equipment is necessary for their hobby/interest when they absolutely do not operate at a level high enough for them to notice the difference

Like someone you know full well can barely put together a stir fry talking about how he only cooks on gas in a carbon steel pan, or the same guy talking about optimal supplements and macros to fuel his lazy three-day bro split

I had a kid in my studio at school who had THE most expensive tablet, two-monitor setup, high-end paints, the best of any art medium you could name, and all his poo poo looked like lovely unfinished manga.

Meanwhile the guy next to me never had anything but a stick of graphite and paper, and would make the most evocative works I've ever seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When my only options for doing something I don't want to do and will never want to do (in this case 'TIME TO FINISH SETTING UP WINDOWS' bullshit like phone/Windows integration, setting Microsoft Edge as my default browser, and whatever the gently caress Windows Hello is) are "CONTINUE" and "remind me later"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

"gents" barber shops that cater to men with big bushy beards and artofmanliness.com haircuts

(because an androgynous guy like me is out of place there, yet i do not wish to go to a women's hair salon either)
It's just a business that cuts hair. Why would you need to "fit in" or whatever? Either type will cut your hair without fuss. You will probably have to try three or four before you find one that won't gently caress it up though because hairdressers are somehow able to continue to work for years while being completely incompetent.

Brawnfire posted:

I had a kid in my studio at school who had THE most expensive tablet, two-monitor setup, high-end paints, the best of any art medium you could name, and all his poo poo looked like lovely unfinished manga.
I don't care what you're doing or at what level, two monitors should be standard. :colbert:

docbeard posted:

When my only options for doing something I don't want to do and will never want to do (in this case 'TIME TO FINISH SETTING UP WINDOWS' bullshit like phone/Windows integration, setting Microsoft Edge as my default browser, and whatever the gently caress Windows Hello is) are "CONTINUE" and "remind me later"
Also "keep me logged in (for thirty days)".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't care what you're doing or at what level, two monitors should be standard. :colbert:

In 2010 it was a bit more of an affectation. But fairish

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Go to a women's hair salon Shibawanako. They rule, they won't care if you aren't an rear end, and they are better than anyone at actually making a dude look good. Agreed that I loving loathe the "handlebar mustache + mountain man beard" style salon for Manly, Very Manly Dudes and Lemme Be Clear, Dudes Only, Big Beard Working Guys Who Do Manly Things Like Beer, Work, and Going To the Salon."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just shave my own head periodically because I'm going bald, and there's two pandemics happening now, a Whal clipper set is like $20.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Frankly those Manly Men barber shops seemed real tempting back before I owned my own clippers precovid bc they probably wouldn't have given me the 'oh but it's such a tragedy to cut a girl's hair so short' run around

They probably would have refused my business though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Frankly those Manly Men barber shops seemed real tempting back before I owned my own clippers precovid bc they probably wouldn't have given me the 'oh but it's such a tragedy to cut a girl's hair so short' run around

There are also normal barbers that aren't all about performative masculinity. Usually a little shop run by one old dude who hasn't raised the prices in thirty years who will happily cut anyone's hair to spec as long as you don't want anything fancy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I remember the first time I grew my hair long and went to my usual barber to get a trim. He was a middle-aged Italian man who asked if I was "a gay" and I ended up with a Prince Valiant haircut :smith:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

I remember the first time I grew my hair long and went to my usual barber to get a trim. He was a middle-aged Italian man who asked if I was "a gay" and I ended up with a Prince Valiant haircut :smith:

I'm sorry this happened but also that is very funny

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I am a big bearded man and i go to a lady hairdresser who mostly does and entirely markets to women, because she is good at her job and hair is, to an extent, hair.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Hm, this script for the No Country for Old Men prequel needs some workshopping.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Killingyouguy! posted:

We had one of those near me and I liked it because my barber used to give me a beer to drink while he was cutting my hair. Sadly, they went out business.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Before COVID I'd been getting my hair trimmed at this place run by cool alt-rock ladies and they gave you beer too. They also went out of business, this year, sadly. Gonna miss some of them, they had the weirdest stories.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Gmail must have changed their spam blocking algorithms or something cos suddenly I'm getting loads of obvious bullshit arriving straight in my main inbox. I guess I was spoiled by how efficient it was before.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I go to a unisex place which is cool because you can get your hair cut by whoever and they charge by hair length. Haircuts are often more expensive in women’s salons even if your hair is short which kind of blows

During quarantine I was just shaving my own head but then I learned that my ears stick out and I have a cowlick at the crown of my head :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cowlicks are a pet peeves, for sure. I have two pronounced cowlicks and a widow's peak, making my hair any shape but Exaggerated LEGO Hairpiece #1 is a huge product-heavy undertaking. Or at least it was until I grew my hair out to below shoulder level.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It's just a business that cuts hair. Why would you need to "fit in" or whatever? Either type will cut your hair without fuss. You will probably have to try three or four before you find one that won't gently caress it up though because hairdressers are somehow able to continue to work for years while being completely incompetent.

Also "keep me logged in (for thirty days)".

i went to them before but they always cut my hair badly because they only know how to do fades

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It seems like every business sends a survey request after every single interaction. Some of the actually seem aggressive like "Second Notice - Your Feedback is Required" (actual subject line that prompted this whining)

No I'm not going to take time out of my day to do a company's research for it for free. That has the stink of useless mba check-collector all over it.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Black Stones posted:

Call them. As someone who has worked retail it’s not a bother to check on the status of something that’s late, and chances are it could be that whoever received it got lazy and assumed you would just show up and didn’t feel like calling.

So I did call them, and apparently they ordered three (3) of the models without letting me know.
I'll be going there tomorrow after talking to my psychiatrist.
I just receivied a confirmation call about the appointment, and apparently it is a phone call, not an in-person thing.
This would be fine, if the original date had actually been for August 11. It was made for July 28. He was on vacation.
I'm becoming annoyed about being dicked around by medical professionals.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Perfect Element posted:

Gmail must have changed their spam blocking algorithms or something cos suddenly I'm getting loads of obvious bullshit arriving straight in my main inbox. I guess I was spoiled by how efficient it was before.

Yeah I've been getting like, car insurance statements or whatever, despite never having owned a car and being legally unable to drive one (epilepsy).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

It seems like every business sends a survey request after every single interaction. Some of the actually seem aggressive like "Second Notice - Your Feedback is Required" (actual subject line that prompted this whining)

No I'm not going to take time out of my day to do a company's research for it for free. That has the stink of useless mba check-collector all over it.

Same. I give you money, you give me thing. That is the beginning and the end of our relationship.

The exception is that if I'm asked to rate a specific employee, or an order/service that could be tied directly to a specific employee I'm gonna give them the max possible rating every time because that poo poo ruins lives.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Sam's Club recently added a bunch of aggressive in-store sales people who try to push cell phones and credit cards on you while you shop. I'm here to pick up a truly alarming number of belvita crackers, and nothing else leave me the gently caress alone

Just got a Costco membership though so gently caress 'em

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My sound isn't sending to my headphones for some reason and it's too late at night to do loud diagnostic poo poo so I guess I'll just... not... have sound tonight.

It would be nice if things didn't stop working for seemingly no reason.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is very specific but I was JUST dealing with it so it's fresh in my mind:

Online password and account protection and whatnot that's so secure, not even legit users can get past it!

I was just setting up an online account for my credit card and it said my cell number isn't registered to me. Like excuse me loving what?! Says who? Cuz they're lying to you, whoever they are!

I'm going to have to call them, on that same phone, and say "Why yes, dumbasses, this is my cell number, which I am using to call you, at this very moment. Me, my number. Now send me the lousy TFA code!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

My sound isn't sending to my headphones for some reason and it's too late at night to do loud diagnostic poo poo so I guess I'll just... not... have sound tonight.

It would be nice if things didn't stop working for seemingly no reason.

I have a soundbar that does this. I haven't figured it out, but it seems that most Blu-rays, will bypass the setting on my TV that sends it to the headphones when my headphones are plugged in. It's really annoying, but the solution is to just unplug the soundbar.

It's really weird too, because everything up to the actual movie itself will go to the headphones, menus, the copyright warnings, title cards, all headphones, but when the movie starts back to the soundbar. The odd thing is it's not even all movies, I've had about 1/4 of them just play on my headphones.

I can't figure out what the commonality is, because the audio tracks run the gamut from mono to Atmos, and it makes no sense which ones do or do not :iiam:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Riatsala posted:

Sam's Club recently added a bunch of aggressive in-store sales people who try to push cell phones and credit cards on you while you shop. I'm here to pick up a truly alarming number of belvita crackers, and nothing else leave me the gently caress alone

Just got a Costco membership though so gently caress 'em

Three days ago at Costco I had some rep walk up to me in line at the register and try to upsell me to pro membership or some dumb thing. Just kept blithely hammering away about how much my family spends there. Totally ignoring my four year old having a tantrum, yelling and trying to drag all the groceries out of my cart. I thought Costco was supposed to be the good one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a soundbar that does this.
I can't figure out what the commonality is, because the audio tracks run the gamut from mono to Atmos, and it makes no sense which ones do or do not :iiam:

Those are the best problems: the consistently inconsistent. Very difficult to solve a problem that presents itself coyly.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I have a soundbar that turns itself off after exactly 3 hours. It doesn’t happen every time, but when it does, it’s 3 hours after turning it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Turns out my computer decided it wanted to restart in the middle of the night, and also reset most of my audio defaults in the process. So, we're back in business until it changes its mind and overrules my fleshy human suggestions