Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Araxxor posted:

Testfire on the 27th.

Does this mean what I think it means, like we can download a demo version and check it out, like how Strikers went?

I've only played maybe a couple hours of Splatoon 2, and I enjoyed it well enough, but not enough to drop full price on the full game, especially once 3 was announced.

I might get this one, though. It looks crazy fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't believe the Switch will die in two years after Splatoon 3 conclude their support...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Going through the direct again with sharp eyes trying to see how much info I can glean.

Oh there’s a special that gives buffs for all your teammates. Kinda like Ink Armor from the old games. I like the idea of being able to play a “support class” in Splatoon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I'm sold. Seems to offer a lot and a lot of more streamlining than 2. That tetris card battle thing has me sold though. The seasonal item catalog is a whole lotta FOMO but that's the way the world works now. I'm sure there's a way to get old things too.

Yeah this is a launch game, and I hope I'll find time to run some matches.

Splatoon is great.

American McGay posted:

Going through the direct again with sharp eyes trying to see how much info I can glean.

Oh there’s a special that gives buffs for all your teammates. Kinda like Ink Armor from the old games. I like the idea of being able to play a “support class” in Splatoon.

They have to run by it though so I hope you can be somewhat coordinated. I guess if you place it at the launch site and hope it doesn't disappear too fast.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The new weapon types seem cool, looking forward to giving those a try.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Think I'll get an OLED since I did do a lot of Splatoon 2 tabletop (a lot faster than booting up the projector and then there's daylight that makes it harder to use).

The Special Edition seems pretty cool but... yeah. Is there a way to just get an OLED without the joycons? I have plenty and I sort of want to keep my old Switch for my partner's stardew valley usage, if not future hacking as it's hackable.

And I feel bad cause I always skip the posts asking how to do deal with multiple switches/one account, but yeah, pretty much she'd be able to use the old Switch as a Stardew Machine right, while I go hogwild on the newer one?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
^^buy the Splat3 SWOLED and then sell the joycons by themselves on eBay for massive profit. Those things look cool as hell and I’m sure there will be people dying to get them without having to get the Switch to go with them.

Another new change I just noticed: they added presets for outfit/weapon combinations so you can easily swap loadouts, and each loadout has its own controls/sensitivity options. So if you’re brush spamming you can have your sens set crazy high and if you’re sniping you can dial it back automatically. Super cool.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 10, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've never played splatoon but this looks pretty fun. And the matches are pretty short I guess?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

wuggles posted:

ok they made it as weird as possible, but it looks like you can party up

Yeah it looks like you still have to join a friend already in a match but they vaguely made it seem like you could play on the same team?

They might finally have that thing other online games have had for 20 years?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You could always play on the same team, just not in Turf War which is meant to be the newbie casual mode. Nintendo doesn’t want little Timmy just trying out the game to get 96% rolled by a 4-stack when he first boots up the game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'll be buying Splatoon 3, but it seems like not a lot of changes at all. No new modes, some weird deck building game. I know new maps and weapons, but those all feel like they could have been part of Splatoon 2 if they just kept updating it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For the longest time in 2 it was that you had to hit a certain rank for league play, then you couldn’t even do those modes during a splat fest. Even then it was either duos or exactly 4. Then they made salmon run a scheduled event like why can’t I just play the game modes I want??

Also I like turf war with friends. Just crack a beer, grab the paint roller and enjoy the pretty colors.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

^^buy the Splat3 SWOLED and then sell the joycons by themselves on eBay for massive profit. Those things look cool as hell and I’m sure there will be people dying to get them without having to get the Switch to go with them.

That's a really good idea. Alternatively I off-load my shittier joy-cons. I don't know if my wife wants a dedicated Stardew machine anyway. Remains to be seen.

External Organs posted:

I've never played splatoon but this looks pretty fun. And the matches are pretty short I guess?

Yeah about 3 minutes and wait time is minimal. They seem to actually let you do stuff while waiting in a training room which is nice.

Astro7x posted:

I'll be buying Splatoon 3, but it seems like not a lot of changes at all. No new modes, some weird deck building game. I know new maps and weapons, but those all feel like they could have been part of Splatoon 2 if they just kept updating it

Three way splatfest is pretty new. There's a new sort of Rush mode in the Horde game, which is new as well as way more improvement on that to begin with since it was pretty barebones prior. The Tetris card game thing looks really neat, not sure if it's a deckbuilder exactly. There's new movement options that'll be pretty vital since one is a sort of dodge.

I can't speak for the changes from 1 to 2, which people thought were minimal, but this seems like a lot to me going from 2 to 3.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Private lobbies have 10 player spots. 2 baked in spectators for tournaments? Was that a thing in the old ones I don’t remember.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gonna get more serious with Splatoon 3, so is there anything I should know about usb-to-ethernet adaptors for the switch? Because i'll just buy the cheapest one from Best Buy if anything'll work

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess I'll try and maybe fix up the thermal paste or really clean out the fan, but what the hell?

I followed https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Switch+Fan+Replacement/113058 and seem to have successfully replaced my fan. It used to make horrible noises immediately and after 40 minutes or so of 2omnium Files the system would force-suspend due to heat. I haven't played much since the repair but all buttons / sound / headphones / SD card / physical games / wifi appear to be working, the new fan blows quietly, and an hour or so of Into the Breach didn't cause problems.

It was more difficult than I was expecting that evening but not unreasonable if you're comfortable with electronics. I often bungle ZIF connectors but iFixit's pictures were detailed enough to let me know which way to flip the flaps.

The fan I used was https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV17D3X which does come with its own screwdrivers (Phillips and Tri-Wing) but I wasn't sure based on the product description (and didn't make free shipping) so I also ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV17D3X -- the screwdrivers on that one were better and the tweezers it came with and spudger saw a fair bit of use.

The fan kit also came with enough thermal paste to re-smear the CPU and connection to the back plate.

Not for the faint of heart, but nice to know my 1.0 has had some fresh life breathed into it. Or out of it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MorningMoon posted:

Gonna get more serious with Splatoon 3, so is there anything I should know about usb-to-ethernet adaptors for the switch? Because i'll just buy the cheapest one from Best Buy if anything'll work

Not all usb-ethernet adapters use the right format for the switch, so double check that the model you're buying is compatible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hm, they didn't really say if Salmon run is limited window or not? Was really hoping to have that confirmed as an improvement.

Was also hoping they'd decouple the gear abilities - is the swapping out the main ability totally new, or was something like that in 2? I remember being able to clear the minor slots on the gear, but I also never liked the mechanics around grinding that stuff out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I just remembered I bought the splatoon 2 DLC and never played it wtf is wrong with me

octo expansion kicked rear end, you should play it

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Hm, they didn't really say if Salmon run is limited window or not? Was really hoping to have that confirmed as an improvement.

Was also hoping they'd decouple the gear abilities - is the swapping out the main ability totally new, or was something like that in 2? I remember being able to clear the minor slots on the gear, but I also never liked the mechanics around grinding that stuff out.

just saw this

https://twitter.com/jolt_ik/status/1557383794432286722?s=21&t=wjkUEWe6HG-BPOnqmtT67w

goty if so

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can't speak for the changes from 1 to 2, which people thought were minimal, but this seems like a lot to me going from 2 to 3.

Quite a lot of back end improvements as well, and that was the case for 1 to 2 also. According to the developer blogs, 1 wasn't coded too well, so a good bunch of 2's development was focused on making actual tools for the game. This is why they were able to pump out so many Shifty Stations, because creating stages in 1 was a huge pain for them.

American McGay posted:

Private lobbies have 10 player spots. 2 baked in spectators for tournaments? Was that a thing in the old ones I don’t remember.

I don't remember if 1 had this but 2 did.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Salmon Run being an all the time thing makes me interested. Sounds like it's just the city assault is time-limited.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MorningMoon posted:

There’s an official licensed one, though it’s a little pricier at like 30 bucks. I don’t see much else at Best Buy being cheaper because, well, Best Buy.

Here’s a cheap one by TP-Link that says it’s compatible:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethe...Caps%2C74&sr=8-

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hell yeah. Open-palm slamming the "purchase" button.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Another big W they subtly confirmed: no more having to watch a 2 minute Off The Hook cutscene every time you boot the game. The current map rotations will be shown in the corner of your screen as you play and you can choose to watch the newscast if you want.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the squids have studied the blade
games gonna own

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Snake Maze posted:

Not all usb-ethernet adapters use the right format for the switch, so double check that the model you're buying is compatible.

thanks! found a j5 that should work according to their customer support.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

no more having to watch a 2 minute Off The Hook cutscene every time you boot the game.

mother of god, they made the perfect game

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

So long as I can still troll 180o turns with the roller brush by pulling both sticks down, I'm good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morpheus posted:

Just got word that Splatoon 3 is now a MOBA GAAS F2P gacha game with lootboxes

Nice, just like Skate 4!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am now a splatana main AMA.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, are we all going to be able to try this out in a network stress test that's extremely close to release?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

American McGay posted:

Another big W they subtly confirmed: no more having to watch a 2 minute Off The Hook cutscene every time you boot the game. The current map rotations will be shown in the corner of your screen as you play and you can choose to watch the newscast if you want.

gently caress yes

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, are we all going to be able to try this out in a network stress test that's extremely close to release?

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1557370738121768961?s=21&t=O8jftE6BYcb6WstB_lM9yw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Shame about Tenta Missiles returning (really annoying special) but the additions and QOL stuff look really neat!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1557241395131211776?s=21&t=B-46imQcJOZUUUXrWeaXEg

Anyone try out the demo yet? I'll give it a shot today. I'm hoping Switch performance is good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://youtu.be/aiuIZN0KDFQ

quote:

"And finally the shoe store Crush Station. Get a variety of cool kicks here, from sneakers to sandals, and even leather footwear."

Leather footware?

To quote Demolition Man: "Do you see any cows around here detective?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im the freak that liked off the hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Mister Facetious posted: