Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh man it's too bad she's trying to live in a capitalist state

How's that on the mainland?

https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/renting-apartment-complete-china-guide

quote:

Note: While at the community management office, you should also ask the staff if foreigners are allowed to live in the neighborhood.

Many communities, particularly those that are older, are not zoned for foreign occupancy and asking management will prevent any awkward run-ins with police knocking on your door asking you to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I gotta say I do enjoy the forceful politeness of Indian English though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

good

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I need to live in a place with exposed brick, give me your hutong hookup.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta say I do enjoy the forceful politeness of Indian English though.

Is that sarcasm?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Like we just had a whole thing about keeping Americans out of Taiwan and now suddenly it's bad??

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

kitchen squads have to work hard because chinese MRE are ghastly. At least russian ones are legitimately some of the best in the world.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I started watching English language Russian youtubers in the beginning of this year, before the war. There are not a lot of them and they do collab so sooner or later you watch all 20 channels.

It's funny I don't remember seeing a single video about cooking.

But if you look at Chinese youtubers, or videos on bilibili, at least half of them are about food and cooking.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tankbuster posted:

Is that sarcasm?

No?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

writing up an article for the nyt about how xi is torturing the american troops by forcing them to eat non-bland white food for the first time

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I started watching English language Russian youtubers in the beginning of this year, before the war. There are not a lot of them and they do collab so sooner or later you watch all 20 channels.

It's funny I don't remember seeing a single video about cooking.

But if you look at Chinese youtubers, or videos on bilibili, at least half of them are about food and cooking.

I would say Russian culture doesn’t really seem to be that much of an emphasis on food culture. There is good Russian (or more often post-Soviet food) but it often doesn’t seem something to really a thing that is expected be interesting to others.

Here is the soup, don’t ask how it is made, just that it is done and now eat it.

————-

Also, to be honest, many English language Russian YouTubers….have extremely negative views of Russia in general, usually far harsher than the general population. It may be simply playing up to an America audience, one of them randomly showed up to the North Korean border (like 5km length of mud) for whatever reason.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Aug 10, 2022

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It's a little something I like to call 紅 Red lining

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ok!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://english.news.cn/20220810/df9d3b8702154b34bbf1d451b99bf64a/c.html

Extremely pro read

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you're thinking of quitting as a teacher here's a tip:

https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1557440063679725568?s=20&t=q4_N_czfAmb4yvT6d6IYMg

They paid him 3 year's salary just to get him to resign.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

You're right. I always love the "Koxinga conquered the island of Taiwan, thus providing Taiwan is inseparable from the mainland government" argument lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never heard of "Vaush" or "Chapo" in any context other than "Look at this absolute galaxy brain, this is what white people actually believe." Are they video game streamers? high ranking members of the US Admin? either is equally possible?

Chapo is good. Matt and Amber are true comrades, the rest average out to being socdems basically, albeit ones who think the working class should build power outside the Democratic Party.

Vaush is just awful. No redeeming qualities.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Chapo is good. Matt and Amber are true comrades, the rest average out to being socdems basically, albeit ones who think the working class should build power outside the Democratic Party.

Vaush is just awful. No redeeming qualities.

Chapo is bad cause they’re not funny. don’t know any of their politics. also isn’t Amber the one who had a full monthlong meltdown cause her dsa working group for accessibility had no physically disabled people on it and people said that was stupid

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
access to accessibility tho

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk anything about dsa drama. as for the humor value, it's all subjective but if you read cspam and the same twitter poo poo we all do then i don't see how chapo is any different taste-wise. it's all of a piece for me.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh man it's too bad she's trying to live in a capitalist state

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1287265334127243264?t=g22bvxCqVMqwCBh7lxy-LA&s=19

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

one of the worst accounts on twitter

they blocked me so I wholeheartedly agree

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mantis42 posted:

idk anything about dsa drama. as for the humor value, it's all subjective but if you read cspam and the same twitter poo poo we all do then i don't see how chapo is any different taste-wise. it's all of a piece for me.

Eh, I swapped out Chapo for Bodega Boys in like 2019 and didn't really go back. Other posters are right, chapo just isn't funny enough to carry a humor podcast. Other other posters are right that they don't do theory or pick the exact correct level of left for me. Bad Faith with Brianna bodied Chapo whenever it came to explaining nerd poo poo and identifying lib rear end libs. Pre-memorabelia scam street fight was like much better anger at the time. I'll give it to the dry boys, they survived so much longer than anyone ever thought. But lmao listening to a podcast

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1557166542840004608

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

So basically, the CPC wants to reunify politically with Taiwan in the next hundred years. They're willing to grant a lot of autonomy and concessions, and develop the region economically; but they will go to war to prevent Taiwan from moving towards secession. Due to their strong insistence about international recognition of the One China principle over the years, they've developed a legel precedent several treaties deep.

The ancient Chinese clay stuff is pretty silly though

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you're thinking of quitting as a teacher here's a tip:

https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1557440063679725568?s=20&t=q4_N_czfAmb4yvT6d6IYMg

They paid him 3 year's salary just to get him to resign.

dudes rock

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mila kunis posted:

re chinese healthcare just saw this pop up from ian goodrum
isn't this just the new zealand model?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

shameful, couldn't even 3d print terrain or get some shrubs or trees from the craft store. bottom dollar war planning makes me sick

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If war ever broke out, the RAND corporation believes the dread saurians will quickly overcome NATO forces in the Fulda Gap.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Genuinely thinking about pitching a wargaming OPLAN by just yanking the HOI4: Milenium Dawn mod off steam.

Those wooden blocks are embarrassing. Why are the elder generals using toddler toys for our grand strategem!?!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

was curious about the background: https://archive.ph/jFkbd

quote:

WASHINGTON—In the first three weeks after invading Taiwan, China sank two multibillion-dollar U.S. aircraft carriers, attacked American bases across Japan and on Guam, and destroyed hundreds of advanced U.S. jet fighters.

China’s situation was, if anything, worse. It landed troops on Taiwan and seized the island’s southern third, but its amphibious fleet was decimated by relentless U.S. and Japanese missile and submarine attacks and it couldn’t resupply its own forces. The capital, Taipei, was secure in Taiwanese hands, and Beijing was low on long-range ballistic missiles to counter America’s still-potent air and maritime power.

This complex daylong war game, played out late last week at a Washington think tank, demonstrated how destructive any attempted Chinese invasion of Taiwan could be across the Indo-Pacific—and what a forbidding challenge the island would be for Beijing’s military forces.

[...]

But as the days drag on, the momentum shifts to the U.S. and Japan. Despite horrific losses in ships, aircraft and personnel, American forces bomb Chinese ports, eliminate the picket line of ships and successfully attack Beijing’s weak spot—the amphibious ships its needs to ferry troops and supplies to Taiwan.

A red team player, perusing a map of Taiwan’s daunting geography, muses on a different strategy: “In real life, we would have to try a decapitation strike” against the island’s leaders.

Ms. Wasser, who was also on the red team, said: “Rather than a draw, it’s very much a feeling of—well, nobody won, but nobody lost either.”

wonder why they didn't simulate a blockade only approach

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Western MIC/think-tank wargaming is hilarious, because every time they try out historical cold-war stuff and bring in a 'red team' that plays the Soviets with actual Warsaw Pact doctrine, 'blue team' gets stomped.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Crusader posted:

was curious about the background: https://archive.ph/jFkbd

wonder why they didn't simulate a blockade only approach

They (I think it was RAND) already wargamed it 18 times a few years ago, and the US side lost every time.

So this is like they came up with a weird map that the US could win.

They must have a weird game rules like the F35 will mob the flood with J20 and none of the Chinese radar plane and biolistic missile work or something.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 10, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

taiwan, to date, was a province of mainland for a total of 14 years, got it

edit: if you think it's a pro read you are not a pro

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Aug 10, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hungry posted:

Western MIC/think-tank wargaming is hilarious, because every time they try out historical cold-war stuff and bring in a 'red team' that plays the Soviets with actual Warsaw Pact doctrine, 'blue team' gets stomped.

It should be embarrassing to tell your human chess pieces to go back to start position then have nothing happen for the rest of the exercise because ol officer had a panic attack over how such a devestating loss would be viewed in their promotion documents. But no, that is the expected behavior and the schedule accomodates that sad weak reality. Our leaders were trained wrong, as a joke.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how does the mainland lose its ability to strike? the simulation only mentioned running low on long range ballistic missiles, but the entire island is within artillery range isn’t it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Horatius Bonar posted:

You're right. I always love the "Koxinga conquered the island of Taiwan, thus providing Taiwan is inseparable from the mainland government" argument lol

lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

how does the mainland lose its ability to strike? the simulation only mentioned running low on long range ballistic missiles, but the entire island is within artillery range isn’t it

which island, Taiwan? It's 100 or so miles away. Kinmen and Matsu are within artillary range. I don't think Penghu is.

edit: I always forget Wuqiu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I just hope the PRC is really prepared to play the century-long game and remain relatively stoic in the face of US goading. even if their “window” for peak military competitiveness in the US is the late 20s until the US surges ahead again, that’s clearly not going to be a sustainable situation for America. better to just wait til the 2060s when the western pacific block is less hot