Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SiKboy posted:

FWIW I've got a bunch of figures on magnetised bases stored in old metal biscuit/chocolate tins, and some tins I think are intended for storing like sewing materials and stuff. If you have something like that in a cupboard its absolutely great for transporting a killteam/blood bowl/necromunda sized force. Like I can turn it on its side and shake it and nothing moves (as long as the magnets have been securely attached).

A bunch of dudes in my local kill team league have Saturday morning cartoon style metal lunchboxes for their teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I painted some freehand pauldrons and realized they were upside down :smithfrog:

Oh well

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
e: ^^ holy poo poo no-one will notice the parts are backwards ^^

Spanish Manlove posted:

A bunch of dudes in my local kill team league have Saturday morning cartoon style metal lunchboxes for their teams.
merch proposal

could even repaint the art to match the minis

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

90s Cringe Rock posted:

e: ^^ holy poo poo no-one will notice the parts are backwards ^^

merch proposal

could even repaint the art to match the minis

Paint the minis to match the art surely! Kill Team: Care Bear.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ive been using a cookie tin but this sounds literally perfect

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yes, I have also used metal band-aid boxes, metal cookie tins, and metal lunchboxes to the same effect.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes 5X2 is what I bought and I'm using two. I may just be over estimating how strong the attraction needs to be, if I wave the box around briskly they slide a bit.

I could also probably order a second batch and just double layer the strip? I wish I hadn't immediately applied all of them or I'd test it..

Adding another strip of magnet paper to the box shouldn't make much difference. The strength of the attraction is largely from the neodymium magnet on the model's base. Make sure the magnet is flush with the bottom of the base so that the magnet is actually touching the box -- the magnetic force will drop off rapidly over distance. I can wave the box around vigorously and my minis don't budge.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure that's right, I'm no scientist but the difference when I put the model on a dumbbell plate is night and day, so I think the metal matters.

Maybe not in terms of a second sheet of this magnet "paper", but I may need to glue in a thin cookie sheet.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The type of metal matters, but I'm not sure that adding more metal will matter. I've definitely seen people outfit boxes with thin sheet metal cut to size, and that should get you the same stronger hold as a cookie sheet. I just have found that the magnet paper is easier and more than sufficient when paired with neodymium base magnets. A cookie sheet or other metal plate may allow you to get away with cheaper regular magnets for the bases.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm some sort of scientist and yes, the type and thickness of the metal matter a lot

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I got a thin sheet of metal plate, cut it with metal snips, and hot glued it into boxes and it works great. I also got a bunch of different types of magnet paper and it works a lot worse. About good enough for storage, not for transport. I also got cookie tins and baking trays with lids, both of which work great for transport, but are less practical to stack for storage. The downside to cutting the thin sheet of metal, was that it left a gazillion little unbelievably sharp metal splinters everywhere, and the sides of the cut sheet is incredibly sharp and feels super dangerous to have around. I thought I was being pretty careful and cut myself several times. Knuckles and sides of fingers, as the metal curled where I was cutting.

The thickness of the neodymium magnets in relation to the depth of the lip of the base matters a lot. On the baking trays it goes from “An immovable object. Quite possible to accidentally snap off the model of the base when trying to lift it” to “sticks real good and can be turned upside down without models falling”. I would actually suggest the advice a goon gave a while back, where you put a big blob of hot glue under the base, stick the magnet on and put it down on a sheet of baking paper over a metal surface. That way the magnet goes flush with the base and you don’t hot glue your miniatures to the surface underneath.

There are also to kinds of paper for magnets. I never completely verified this, but in my trials, it seemed that the actual magnet paper (which is magnetic and you can stick metal things to) is worse, than the other kind of paper (ferro foil?) which magnets can stick to, but isn’t magnetic in itself. Regardless, in my experience both are worse than cookie tins, baking trays, thin piece of metal sheet stuck in a box.

Supposedly a perfect solution is metal roof shingles, which are cheap and magnets stick great to, unfortunately it’s not something used in the part of the world where I currently reside, at all. I tried several different places, before I have up.

E: I recently saw a magnet selling place online, where they had small metal discs with adhesive on the one side. That seems possible really interesting, in that you won’t have to use glue and the discs could fit inside the bases making the magnet-width/base-lip problem irrelevant. Might be hard to position in an optimal way though.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 9, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that's a potential risk, I just cut the sheet metal outside. It's strong enough with one or two neo magnets that it's perfect, just, the cutting and gluing is kind of awkward.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I mean, yeah, if I shake it absolutely as hard as I can, the models come off the magnet sheet. I wouldn’t use it for model storage in a checked bag on an airplane. But it’s been more than adequate for carrying in a backpack on the bus or in a car.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I done a guy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I painted a blightlord sarge!

Kinda sloppy but practice is practice

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Changed my photography setup slightly and am very happy with the results

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I love how the red details pop. It's a very detailed model but that little bit of colour really helps me read it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

YO GUYS, CHECK IT OUT: I TAUGHT THIS TENTACLE HOW TO FART

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hi, I'm Johnny Poxville, welcome to SWAMPASS!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kinda sloppy but practice is practice but so is Nurgle

Good work.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes 5X2 is what I bought and I'm using two. I may just be over estimating how strong the attraction needs to be, if I wave the box around briskly they slide a bit.

I could also probably order a second batch and just double layer the strip? I wish I hadn't immediately applied all of them or I'd test it..

ive had the same issue and i assume it's a polarity problem with the adhesive magnet sheets. i ordered some cheap galvanized shingles and am going to use those instead

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Siivola posted:

I love how the red details pop. It's a very detailed model but that little bit of colour really helps me read it.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to do without evoking Christmas too hard. Still practicing with color use, steadying my hands and not wrecking brushes but it worked pretty well.

Also, lol

The Demilich posted:

Hi, I'm Johnny Poxville, welcome to SWAMPASS!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Hopefully the pics don't get shrinked again, but here are some of the competition of th diorama. Lots of fun, lots of learning and I'm pretty satisfied with the final result.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The nmm is really solid. Good work dude

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That is incredibly good. You should be proud.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I really want to make a diorama now. Great job!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks great!

And everyone should dioramas and extensive bases. Tons of fun, and elevates any mini or model.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Demilich posted:

I really want to make a diorama now. Great job!

it's super fun and you should try it some time

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Fully agree, dioramas are a lot of fun, especially if you like the base building aspect of the hobby

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is awesome! I've been trying to step up my base game and I guess the next step is to start learning how to sculpt and start thinking of diorama ideas.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Almost getting there

The metal is going to be cut off after I sculpt the hand holding the handle that's attached to Nurgle's log.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Demilich posted:

Almost getting there

The metal is going to be cut off after I sculpt the hand holding the handle that's attached to Nurgle's log.

this looks incredible. gonna paint up real nice im sure.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Demilich posted:

Nurgle's log.

:raise: This can be interpreted in a few valid ways.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Demilich posted:

Almost getting there

That's one of the grossest things I've ever seen that wasn't actually rotting, it's perfect.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Turns out I'm going to have to increase the base size, so I guess I'll just sculpt some of Nurgle's garden around the dude.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Demilich posted:

Turns out I'm going to have to increase the base size, so I guess I'll just sculpt some of Nurgle's garden around the dude.

If Nurgle had had more fiber, there would probably have been less slump in his Log.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A nice tasteful banner on my Space Wolves Praetor. Nothing gaudy at all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Batch painted a squad of Long Fangs today. I don't like batch painting but it's efficient.

Grav gun

Melta

And the armorium cherub I forgot in the group shot

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did a bit more painting over the last week or so. Got some new contrast paints and wanted to give them a try.

Startblood Stalkers for Warhammer Underworlds. Now, when doing a small warband, I personally think there are two main ways you can go; You can pick a theme colour as at least an accent on most of the figures and try and make the the warband look at least a little cohesive, or you can go with full on power-ranger rainbow coalition. I made my choice and I have no regrets. Okay, I slightly regret having the big one full face on to the camera for the photo, but other than that. I would also remind you that chameleons can change colour in response to mood as well as background.

For Malifaux, I did Titania and her Totem, Gorar. For Titanias base I tried to get a sort of vibe of invasive unnatural growth, with plants overtaking cobbles, with a corpse in there for good measure. Didnt totally succeed, but didnt totally fail either so I'll take it. Probably should have gone with a more living flesh tone on the corpse, I wanted it to look like it had the life drained out of it, but that kind of made it blend in to the background. Gorar covers 98% of the base, so she just got like 2 cobblestones and some greenery.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nearly finished with these guys.

any ideas to make it really pop?

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN
wrapped this guy up a couple weeks ago to go with my fall sylvaneth. pretty happy with him:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat that's vibrant as hell, I love it