Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how

e: unless you mean the name in which case fair enough

the name, yes. deep blue was the first computer to win at chess with a human champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

moonmazed posted:

the name, yes. deep blue was the first computer to win at chess with a human champion

Oh gently caress my brain was jumping up and down trying to point that out!!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The um, well, it's not really a reveal, but the part in Death Stranding where Higgs starts talking about the God Particle my girlfriend and I lost our poo poo. I adore Kojima's stupid names so much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm guessing the Punch-Out thing is less a hidden mode that was intended to be played and more of a development tool to enable testers to jump to any fight, or two testers to check any individual move, but pretty neat that someone found it after almost 30 years.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

forest spirit posted:

post =/= edit

Any game that lets you shoot a car tire as it's driving, causing it to immediately jackknife and catapult into the air

bonus points if you can do it in slow-motion

Spent many a play session in Just Cause 2/3 grappling speeding police vehicles to the road. Especially on bridges.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I like how Brave Fencer Musashi uses it's dancing minigame fight towards the end thematically. You best Topo at her minigame by following her dance moves then she simply says "Well done Musashi. Then again, you have had plenty of practice since you've been following our beat this whole time." I thought that that was cute.

If you're the person who has been posting about BFM in this and the dragging things down thread then congrats, you're the reason I'm trying this game I meant to play 20 something years ago.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Robert J. Omb posted:

Spent many a play session in Just Cause 2/3 grappling speeding police vehicles to the road. Especially on bridges.

70% of my playtime on the starting planet in the Precursors was looting tires from other peoples cars to replace the tires on my (looted) car that broke going off-roading over rocks and cactus/tires that popped running down Deathclaws/tires got shoot out by bandits while I was in the process of running them down.

By the time I left the starting planet in the Precursors I had looted cars stashed everywhere like a used car dealership. 4 parked in front of the spaceport, 2 outside the city gate that always gets ambushed, 1 by the oasis, etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm guessing the Punch-Out thing is less a hidden mode that was intended to be played and more of a development tool to enable testers to jump to any fight, or two testers to check any individual move, but pretty neat that someone found it after almost 30 years.

It's almost certainly this, yeah. Devs needed to be able to test each individual move, and probably also found it useful for developing the boxers' attack strings.

Cheats that are intended for the player to use are usually leaked pretty quickly after release, or are revealed in the game itself.

EDIT: here's a highlight reel from the Super Punch Out stream I posted clips of earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVWQpeSupo

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Aug 9, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Many secrets were invluded specifcally so they'd get mentioned in gaming magazines. That's why metal man is hideously weak to his own weapon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Two player Punch Out being terribly unbalanced makes sense seeing as the game isn't about fighting strategically but about pattern recognition.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Two cheat codes for Super Punch-Out were discovered today. The first is a level-select code, which lets you jump to any fight in the game. The second lets the second player's controller control the opponent boxer. After 30 years, Super Punch-Out has vs. multiplayer.

It is, uh, not even remotely balanced.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulPreciousJellyfishFrankerZ-hQsPxzR2JZPknpyn

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousSoftJaguarPermaSmug-NLYTLDGjchHQh_FX
It always amazes me when functions like this get discovered way way after you'd expect, especially with TAS runs and such these days.

Also tremendous :lol: at both of those clips.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

quantumfoam posted:

70% of my playtime on the starting planet in the Precursors was looting tires from other peoples cars to replace the tires on my (looted) car that broke going off-roading over rocks and cactus/tires that popped running down Deathclaws/tires got shoot out by bandits while I was in the process of running them down.

By the time I left the starting planet in the Precursors I had looted cars stashed everywhere like a used car dealership. 4 parked in front of the spaceport, 2 outside the city gate that always gets ambushed, 1 by the oasis, etc.

The Boiling Point trilogy had many problems, but it really did hit some things that you pretty much never see in other games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I’m a loving moron, so are these cheats found just trawling the code for little one off mentions of a second controller? That has to be done with a tool right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beastie posted:

I’m a loving moron, so are these cheats found just trawling the code for little one off mentions of a second controller? That has to be done with a tool right?

Pretty much. Games that old and that obsessively studied get run through a decompiler, which is a tool that converts machine code (bytes ready to be run on the system, almost completely unreadable to humans) to assembly (a language of very simple operations, slightly more readable to humans). It's possible at that point for a programmer to directly read what the game is doing, what data it is keeping track of, and how it makes the decisions that it does. Someone must have done this to Super Punch-Out, noticed a chunk of code whose purpose was not well-understood already, and after much careful study and note-taking determined that it handled input from the second controller. They then modified the assembly so that it was possible to trigger that code to execute, re-compiled the game from assembly back into machine code, and ran it to see what would happen. There are not a lot of people in the world who can do this sort of thing, which is why discoveries like this are so rare and notable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Dragon Quest Heroes 2. It's a very charming musou-lite that's kind of a hybrid of Musou-style warriors games and normal RPG. It's just kind of a nice chill time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Dragon Quest Heroes 2. It's a very charming musou-lite that's kind of a hybrid of Musou-style warriors games and normal RPG. It's just kind of a nice chill time.

That game is chill and pretty easy and not at all hard until the final boss which I could never beat. I must have put in five extra hours just on boss retries and grinding, but gently caress that guy. I am too sucky and that boss is too hard.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Beastie posted:

Remeber the "Blonde, Brunette, Redhead" thing from The Matrix? It's like that

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. Games that old and that obsessively studied get run through a decompiler, which is a tool that converts machine code (bytes ready to be run on the system, almost completely unreadable to humans) to assembly (a language of very simple operations, slightly more readable to humans). It's possible at that point for a programmer to directly read what the game is doing, what data it is keeping track of, and how it makes the decisions that it does. Someone must have done this to Super Punch-Out, noticed a chunk of code whose purpose was not well-understood already, and after much careful study and note-taking determined that it handled input from the second controller. They then modified the assembly so that it was possible to trigger that code to execute, re-compiled the game from assembly back into machine code, and ran it to see what would happen. There are not a lot of people in the world who can do this sort of thing, which is why discoveries like this are so rare and notable.

For a thorough as hell example, see this thread:

https://twitter.com/foone/status/1536053690368348160?lang=en

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

JPrime posted:

For a thorough as hell example, see this thread:

https://twitter.com/foone/status/1536053690368348160?lang=en

This is nuts

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hel posted:

The Boiling Point trilogy had many problems, but it really did hit some things that you pretty much never see in other games.

I adore the Boiling Point series.
Cars ran out of gas. Everquest 2 style faction standings. People could be bribed. Vehicle tires popped. You had to dose yourself in insect repellent. Extremely morally dubious side-missions were everywhere in the Boiling Point trilogy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Old hat, but I'm playing Majora's Mask today and I'm once again appreciating how well it nails the tonal change over its time cycle. It's a bright, exaggerated world, but it's neat to watch how it shifts over time with the town emptying out as people flee, and eventually winding up with constant earthquakes, eerie lighting and music, and an ominous timer counting down the last few minutes before everything ends. It just hits every note so well, especially for doing it out of nowhere in a preexisting franchise rather than just being some standalone game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Majora's Mask just nails this melancholy feeling. Every single quest you complete, the overall tone is "well, great, you made things better...but you can't truly fix the damage that's already been done". The mountains get thawed, but the Goron hero remains dead. Kafei reconciles with his betrothed, but he's still cursed. The ranch gets saved from aliens, but it's still a teenager trying to raise her kid sister and run a ranch by herself while being harassed by bandits. The entire Ikana kingdom is just straight-up dead; all you can do is put their souls to rest.

Hell, even Tingle ties into this theme: his dad runs the photography minigame. There's some dialog where he basically says "yeah, I've got this weird kid, I don't really understand him, but what can I do?"

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Majora's Mask just nails this melancholy feeling. Every single quest you complete, the overall tone is "well, great, you made things better...but you can't truly fix the damage that's already been done". The mountains get thawed, but the Goron hero remains dead. Kafei reconciles with his betrothed, but he's still cursed. The ranch gets saved from aliens, but it's still a teenager trying to raise her kid sister and run a ranch by herself while being harassed by bandits. The entire Ikana kingdom is just straight-up dead; all you can do is put their souls to rest.

Hell, even Tingle ties into this theme: his dad runs the photography minigame. There's some dialog where he basically says "yeah, I've got this weird kid, I don't really understand him, but what can I do?"

Don't forget that the Deku Butler's son was also horribly killed by the Masked Kid and turned into the tree you find at the beginning of the game, Mikau's just loving dead and his bandmate/pregnant girlfriend Lulu is just left to mourn for him...

The game just drips with melancholy in a way I've really never seen anything else do so successfully. Even the ending won't let you escape without a bit of melancholy, with Link just leaving all the friends he's made and people he's come to know behind because he's still on his quest to find Navi.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

The game just drips with melancholy in a way I've really never seen anything else do so successfully.

The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Gears of War: You start with a gun that has a chainsaw attached to it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mamkute posted:

Gears of War: You are a chainsaw that has a man and gun attached to it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Credburn posted:

Gears of War: - - - chainsaw - - - - - gun - - -.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mamkute posted:

Gears of War: You start with a gun that has a chainsaw attached to it.

You can find this gun in Wasteland 3. The chainsaw is broken but it shoots exploding bullets.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ishikabibble posted:

Don't forget that the Deku Butler's son was also horribly killed by the Masked Kid and turned into the tree you find at the beginning of the game, Mikau's just loving dead and his bandmate/pregnant girlfriend Lulu is just left to mourn for him...

The game just drips with melancholy in a way I've really never seen anything else do so successfully. Even the ending won't let you escape without a bit of melancholy, with Link just leaving all the friends he's made and people he's come to know behind because he's still on his quest to find Navi.

It's so good, and it always boggles my mind that it has such a distinctive, well-developed feel, when it was made under the constraints of shoving a sequel out the door in a fraction of the time a game really needs.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jacob Geller did a good video on the themes of the Zelda games and how the series has handled being surprisingly mature for what are relatively story-light games.

But he's also wrong, Majora's Mask is 100% the darkest Zelda.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's so good, and it always boggles my mind that it has such a distinctive, well-developed feel, when it was made under the constraints of shoving a sequel out the door in a fraction of the time a game really needs.

I actually wonder how much of it was because of those constraints, actually. They needed to make a game with a hunch of recycled OoT assets, really quickly, and need to make it feel like it's not just an asset-flip sequel. What's even possible there?

Well, smaller world with more involved quests; that's a natural way to narrow scope. If you want a different feel, one of the quickest and easiest ways would actually be to change up the lighting; going brighter than OoT wouldn't be great since OoT was already pretty bright most of the time, but going darker sets them apart. So now you've got 'darker, smaller Zelda', let's run with that and have all the new designs be creepy and haunting. That then means the story has to be similarly haunting, and bam, suddenly you've landed on perfectly good reasoning for where Majora's Mask landed.

Silent Hill and Resident Evil both found a lot of their direction and strength in limitations. So it wouldn't be too surprising to me that Majora came at that from a different direction; faced with a more constrained development, they find the same tracks that the outright horror games did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like they also had a certain measure of freedom because they've got the big epic new template for 'traditional' Zelda out of the way, so they can explore some different things with a spinoff to make it not feel like just a rehash or expansion pack. The N64 era was a very experimental one for Nintendo, basically reinventing genres from scratch like with Mario 64.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think in general there’s something about limitations and having to work around them that engages that creativity part of the brain just right

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've just started Howdy, Jacob!, a hidden object game that also has greenscreened videos of puppets in it. You can use hints, but I noticed that (with non-unlimited amounts) you get 3 helpful hints and 1 unhelpful hint. Naturally, this involves one of the puppet characters coming onscreen and rambling about something, failing to be useful. Great goofy little touch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vic posted:

Watch Dogs would be a sequel to Watchmen

You Watched Men
Now Get Ready to...

Watch Dogs!

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
One of the things that always gets to me with Majora's Mask is how they manage to make you care about so many of the NPCs. They all have routines and distinct personalities and many will react to you differently based on what mask you're wearing. And, of course, many of them slowly descend into panic and despair as the end of the world approaches.

There are a few people are well aware of, like the swordsman trainer who brags that he will cut the moon in two and save everyone, but in the end can be found cowering in the back room of his dojo, begging not to die. Or how, if you save the ranchers from the alien invasion, you find Cremia letting her little sister drink alcohol so she won't be aware of her incoming death.

There's so many little moments throughout the timeline too. I found this channel recently that has videos of "rare dialogue" happening at specific places and times, many of which I've never seen despite 100%-ing the game multiple times. It shows a level of care for the world design that you don't always see.

Like, here's one that was new to me, only seen when in the Laundry Pool on midday of day 2, including some dialogue only seen with the Deku Mask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2PWGOYm2hY

It's such an intensely emotional game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OTOH I find Majora's Mask to be surprisingly hopeful. Yes, people have died and they're not coming back. But through the Ocarina they're able to pass on their spirits to Link if only just long enough for him to set things right. When you die, you're gone from this world and you can't help the people you cared about -- but through Link they do it anyway. After the third day the world ends and everything ends, but then the sun rises and a new dawn begins anyway. Fate has decreed that you can't save the world in three days, so you give yourself as many days as you need and change fate. There's pain, there's suffering. Not everything can be fixed.

But life goes on, and the new day dawns.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the moral is that if you're good enough at music, some extremely large chaps in loincloths will show up and help sort things out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Also don't let your fans run the asylum, who say that Termina was nothing but a dream in an officially-endorsed Fan Wank guidebook.