Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

catgirlgenius posted:

i found asa-gao to be a little eye-searing, with Diamine Blue Velvet having a more bearable amount of pep
yeah, my asa-gao swab is a little drab. It's got more pop on (old) 68gsm TR paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
You could also check out Birmingham Pen Company's Ice Rink or Electron for some vibrant blues.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I ordered a pile of samples from Goulet. I couldn't get Visconti Blue and they didn't have Birmingham Pen Company. I'll just keep them in mind if they all piss me off. Y'all talked me into seeing asa-gao in-person. That being said, it reminded me to get a full container of Bondi Blue for my PenBBS surfer pen.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

catgirlgenius posted:

i found asa-gao to be a little eye-searing, with Diamine Blue Velvet having a more bearable amount of pep

also, i gifted my beaten-up, very first Metro to a friend just this morning at work, i even loaded up a sample vial with my last 5mL of yama-budo... then i procedeed to accidentally spill half of it while doing my filling demo. lol. lmao

she loved it though! everyone in close proximity to me is writing letters now :3:
:woop:

I've still yet to turn a friend or relative into a fellow pen nerd. Or someone who basically just writes more.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Picked up a sailor checkmate series and a kaweco sport for my partner. The kaweco is so small! I see the appeal as a daily.

JNCO BILOBA fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 13, 2022

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
What the gently caress is a Pelikan hub?

The website says, "the Hub is an unmissable and extremely special event for any Pelikan fan. It has interesting and inspiring people who share the same passion for high-quality writing instruments, all meeting on the same evening at many different locations around the world. Join in and become part of our passionate fan community!"

Which does not actually answer my question. I mean, sort of? But not really. All my fountain pen FB groups are talking about trying to get their areas turned into hubs.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sounds like a fan club

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
It’s just a meet up, but Pelikan provides some swag for attendees: “Past examples of swag provided by Pelikan have included pen holders, cases, note pads, and ink.”

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Pixelante posted:

What the gently caress is a Pelikan hub?

The website says, "the Hub is an unmissable and extremely special event for any Pelikan fan. It has interesting and inspiring people who share the same passion for high-quality writing instruments, all meeting on the same evening at many different locations around the world. Join in and become part of our passionate fan community!"

Which does not actually answer my question. I mean, sort of? But not really. All my fountain pen FB groups are talking about trying to get their areas turned into hubs.

It's up to each local organizer to decide how to run the event, but Pelikan provides stuff to hand out to each registered attendee. Last time (so I think 2019?) everyone got a notepad, a magazine and a bottle of the latest Edelstein yearly release.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Every year I've gone to a Hub Pelikan has included a bottle of the Edelstein ink of the year. Those bottles cost $45 a piece in Canada.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

Every year I've gone to a Hub Pelikan has included a bottle of the Edelstein ink of the year. Those bottles cost $45 a piece in Canada.

I tried to register in my city but it looks like it's not a hub. Unfortunately, I live on an island so it would be pretty difficult to zip over to Vancouver, which would be the nearest. Boo. I like free ink.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I'm on my second bottle of Blue Velvet. One of the very few inks my Nakaya will put up with.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Welp, somehow the endcap of my vac700r has gone missing after a flight? I've emailed TWSBI and I hope I can get a replacement even if it's the iris version :sigh: Maybe a cat got to it or something

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A side effect of the Bay State Blue disaster I had was a stain in a cloth bag. My wife decided to take a shot at it based on some things I learned about using rubbing alcohol to dissolve the ink when cleaning it out of stuff. I'm sure soaking in rubbing alcohol would be terrible, but it can loosen it off of stuff and you can immediately clean it with less scary means. We had some 91% rubbing alcohol in a sprayer that did a surprisingly good job at knocking out a ~week-old stain of the stuff, although we finished it off in a washing machine. We'll see if all my clothes turn blue in the wash now.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A side effect of the Bay State Blue disaster I had was a stain in a cloth bag. My wife decided to take a shot at it based on some things I learned about using rubbing alcohol to dissolve the ink when cleaning it out of stuff. I'm sure soaking in rubbing alcohol would be terrible, but it can loosen it off of stuff and you can immediately clean it with less scary means. We had some 91% rubbing alcohol in a sprayer that did a surprisingly good job at knocking out a ~week-old stain of the stuff, although we finished it off in a washing machine. We'll see if all my clothes turn blue in the wash now.

I thank you for this timely post. I inked up my Procyon with Baystate Blue a few days ago and was proud of myself for doing it all neat and tidy with a syringe and not getting any ink anywhere. Now there are random blue2 streaks showing up all over the place omfg

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bleach also works well on Baystate Blue.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had been using pilot kon-peki in my EF Safari (which writes pretty OK) and it was just too light a shade. Having stuck it in the F montblanc it's absolutely gorgeous.

I still don't take the MB to work, just a bit too wanky, but it's nice to use at home.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So, new Delta day today (hooray! pictures later).

The pen came way overpackaged, like three separate boxes and multiple layers of foam and duct tape.

Also, for some reason, the seller included four photocopies, front and back, of his Italian national identity card. I have no idea why.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

grack posted:

The pen came way overpackaged, like three separate boxes and multiple layers of foam and duct tape.

Also, for some reason, the seller included four photocopies, front and back, of his Italian national identity card. I have no idea why.

:ohdearsass:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Proof.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sorry, shredded already. I wouldn't post it anyways, they don't really deserve to be doxxed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No I meant they sent it as proof

Of what, I don't know

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heath posted:

No I meant they sent it as proof

Of what, I don't know

Genuine Italianness.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Genuine Italianness.

Well, I did learn that the seller's name is Luigi. Goal achieved, I guess

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

grack posted:

Well, I did learn that the seller's name is Luigi. Goal achieved, I guess

Plot twist: The Delta is a fake, so is the ID, and his real name is Waluigi.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

holy gently caress

outta my way nerds, i need this

but seriously if you see this one going over like $40 it's safe to assume im out of the running so uhhh good luck if you want to bid on it too

this same shop had something called an "Apex Trident", by Sailor. omnidirectional nib! would have been a fun novelty, just not $90 fun

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165632582824#vi__app-cvip-panel

Ramie fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 25, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I received no fewer than three emails notifying me about the glow in the dark :pcgaming: TWSBI Eco

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

howe_sam posted:

I received no fewer than three emails notifying me about the glow in the dark :pcgaming: TWSBI Eco

lol at shipping literally tripling the price of the pen, and that's before VAT and customs.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Anyone here ever get into binding FP-friendly paper? Ive been using Midori MDs as lab notebooks but the size and number of pages is a bit of a pain. I would love to have a notebook that is 1) large, 2) lots of pages, 3) FP friendly paper, but it really seems like that's a "pick two" situation. If it's in the 200 pages range it's usually A5, if it's larger it only has like 20 pages, if it's large with many pages I'm looking at something that will bleed and ghost like an rear end in a top hat.

So I was thinking, what if I got some loose paper and bound together what I needed? 200 sheets of tomoe river or something, glue bound like a cheap composition book?

Actually, hang on, I just noticed the Kokuyo binders and looseleaf. This might be just what I need. nevermind the A4 binders only hold 100 pages.

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2022

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

does it have to be bigger than a5? nanami has basically everyone beat on price and quality for handbound 400~ pages. Musubi excepted, but im assuming you dont want an easily stained linen cover. Nanami covers are cheap and perfect for a lab environment

and oh god Nanami sells Maruzen Athena Sepia. i just got my Platinum Sepia Brun, and was looking at Sailor Texas after that. curse my brown addiction, ill just have to hope they stay in stock for a while :negative:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Doesn't strictly have to be bigger than A5, I was leaning that way mostly for the page area. I run through ~180 pages of A5 in about three months. The number of notebooks is manageable now if I have to refer back to older volumes but it won't always be.

I'll look into the nanami! 400 pages of A5 would be great actually.

And I say "lab" but it's all desk work for now. Might not always be though.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Okay the Seven Seas Writer might be my next notebook when this one dies. Would be nice if it had grids or dots but I can't have everything! Thanks so much for the rec!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SixteenShells posted:

Okay the Seven Seas Writer might be my next notebook when this one dies. Would be nice if it had grids or dots but I can't have everything! Thanks so much for the rec!

https://www.galenleather.com/collections/tomoe-river-notebooks/products/everyday-notebook-blank-tomoe-river-paper-a5-size-400-pages

400 pages. It is A5 but that keeps the weight manageble. You can ask them when the B5 comes back, that is a bit bigger.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

Friend, have you heard the good word of the Seven Seas Crossfield?

Also, Clairfontane makes a 96 sheet A4 notebook, and that paper is super FP friendly.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 26, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leuchtturm make thick maybe B5(?) and definitely A4 notebooks.

Fake edit: yeah the hardcover B5s are 219 pages and the A4s (which are huge) are 235 pages.

https://www.leuchtturm1917.de/composition.html

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Still loving kon-peki in the montblanc, such a beautiful colour.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Also, Clairfontane makes a 96 sheet A4 notebook, and that paper is super FP friendly.

if you mean the Rhodia webnotebook, that paper is nice but it was a bit too this to my taste. However, the tomoe river books have thinner paper... It does come lined however. Wait, it also comes in A4
https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/rhodia-webnotebook-a4.html

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

howe_sam posted:

Oh you are a lifesaver. I was expecting there to be a variant of the Writer type with different paper markings, I didn't even think to check the other listings.

I will also take a look at the Leuchterms! I have an L1917 A5 that I was using as my Elden Ring journal and sketchbook and I did like that experience and appreciated the page numbers. Don't know why they slipped my mind when looking for bigger notebooks.

Thanks y'all!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Keetron posted:

if you mean the Rhodia webnotebook, that paper is nice but it was a bit too this to my taste. However, the tomoe river books have thinner paper... It does come lined however. Wait, it also comes in A4
https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/rhodia-webnotebook-a4.html

Clairfontaine makes a line of A4 notebooks in various rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ah, anything not with a stitched hardcover is filtered out by my brain to exist. I can see the use, for other people.