Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Some people choose to see the ugliness in this thread. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty.

it doesn't look like anything to me :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Batmasterson posted:

This is driving me insane but when Host William shot Bernard, it was daytime, and then we have a flashback to Bernard's conversation in the Sublime where he sees the city burning, then it cuts back to Bernard dying on the ground and its suddenly night time. Am I remembering this correctly? Was this just a continuity error?

Might just be that it took that long for WilliamBot to get the program going.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ram dass in hell posted:

it doesn't look like anything to me :haw:

Man, all these meme quotes from season 1 remind me how good and fresh that season felt and now I'm just bummed again at how the potential got squandered so quickly from Season 2 on. I just don't get it - did some integral part of the team beyond Nolan and Joy that nobody knows about leave after Season 1? How did a pair of writers who made something so good... just stop being good?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
This has been in my head since the tone generator stuff first came up, and then there was this week.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

This thread about Westworld > the show

If you’re going to steal from anything, Spaceballs is a good place to start.

I wish there was more Akecheta this season

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think we haven't seen what the whole deal for the end of season 2 was with William and his daughter in the future?

Lister posted:

No, not really. It's a full two seasons and over four years since that episode aired and we barely have any indication what was going on there. Only an understanding of why everything in the park was ruined and where the William host came from. I hate that poo poo about mystery box plotting. Introducing a big question like that and still barely have a clue so long afterwards is a sloppy way to make a tv show.

I'm not too wrapped up in the show now, and less than I was back then, but I think an honest question deserves a year-old old take if it might de-puzzle things. I think--could be wrong, but this actually made sense to me--that that bit in the end of S2 was the fidelity test for the robot William that was introduced at the end of S3 and is now one of the most important characters in S4. That's all it was, the simulation testing the mind of the William host for fidelity.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Man, all these meme quotes from season 1 remind me how good and fresh that season felt and now I'm just bummed again at how the potential got squandered so quickly from Season 2 on. I just don't get it - did some integral part of the team beyond Nolan and Joy that nobody knows about leave after Season 1? How did a pair of writers who made something so good... just stop being good?

I saw people online talking about how great Hale was as a bad guy when she was playing with the humans a few episodes ago, and then I remembered the season 1 scene where Ford has a sit down with that business woman. The slow build of how coolly sinister and in control he was is such a better way to portray a villain versus laughably evil poo poo like making people into a chair for you on a whim. I don't know what happened either. Sometimes people just burn all their good ideas and just can't think of anything else.

Onomarchus posted:

I'm not too wrapped up in the show now, and less than I was back then, but I think an honest question deserves a year-old old take if it might de-puzzle things. I think--could be wrong, but this actually made sense to me--that that bit in the end of S2 was the fidelity test for the robot William that was introduced at the end of S3 and is now one of the most important characters in S4. That's all it was, the simulation testing the mind of the William host for fidelity.

That's not a bad idea, but it seemed to me like that location had a lot more than a year or two of disrepair.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Butternubs posted:

I knew goons in TV IV had bad takes but wow.
MGS is a super straightforward series. The idea that it's complicated or nonsensical is just a meme.

thats not candy posted:

do those transcended host bodies not have arms or do they fold up like a bug or something?
Halores can't stop scratching her arms, so she decided that it'd be better if no one had them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So can somebody summarize the s4 plot? I am still not sure, especially the non-Deloros part.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So can somebody summarize the s4 plot? I am still not sure, especially the non-Deloros part.

Halores has taken over the world with nanotech flies and put all the humans in park-like "cities" where they're subliminally controlled by infrasound towers. Maeve and Caleb tried to stop her, but Maeve got buried in an explosion and Caleb got killed then resurrected as a Host.

Bernard used his time in The Infinite to run millions of simulations of different ways to stop her and has returned to put the best one into action by digging up Maeve and teaming up with Caleb's daughter. Also Stubbs is there. Oh yeah and it turns out the Infinite is housed on a server farm at a hydroelectric dam.

Halores wants all the Hosts to evolve past their human-based programming and "ascend" (we don't know what that actually means yet) but it's a hard sell even to herself. Host William is getting sick of being Halores' lil bitch, which is not helped by his chats with Real William, who is kept on ice. He ends up killing Halores and Maeve, then setting all the cities to Deathmatch/The Purge mode.

Meanwhile there's a Dolores variant called Christine who doesn't know she's a host and thinks the narratives she writes are for computer games and not actually controlling the lives of humans in the cities. Also Teddy is there. and then it turns out that they're in a simulation somehow but interfacing with the real world? idk that was the cliffhanger of the last episode so I guess we'll find out

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 9, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My guess for a bit has been that Christine/Teddy are whatever Bernard has been screwing around with and is the culmination of his plan.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So not-Deloros is like...how do I phrase it...an AI wearing a reversed VR gaggles? She is not a actual robot? Wait doesn't she interact with other people? Unless she is a projection like doc in Voyager.

Is Christina in a Matrix or in real NYC?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

So not-Deloros is like...how do I phrase it...an AI wearing a reversed VR gaggles? She is not a actual robot? Wait doesn't she interact with other people? Unless she is a projection like doc in Voyager.

Is Christina in a Matrix or in real NYC?

We're not sure yet.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Lister posted:

versus laughably evil poo poo like making people into a chair for you on a whim.

Well, it's all about the use of weapons.

Also, A.Hopkins is Welsh and by his very nature, sinister.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
at least the first season was really good yo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Don't forget robowilliam beat the Vice President to death

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So anyway, will they tie into the Dutch daughter talking down to Robo-Will scene from season 3, or will they conveniently ignore that one? That's gonna be interesting.

--edit: Or season 2. gently caress knows, I can't keep them apart.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
When we revisit the scene of MIB passing his fidelity test I hope he was built with the memory of convincing DIB to stab him.

I’m going with DIB now.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

MGS is a super straightforward series. The idea that it's complicated or nonsensical is just a meme.
:jerkbag:

Tell me you've never played the metal gear solid series without telling me you've never played the metal gear solid series lol

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

run on sentience posted:

:jerkbag:

Tell me you've never played the metal gear solid series without telling me you've never played the metal gear solid series lol

Yeah, try explaining Ocelot's plan, starting with Snake Eater and how he ended up somehow fulfilling it in MGS4. It's the most convoluted nonsense ever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Listen, he's not possessed. He just used nanomachines to fake possession. It's an easy mistake to make, you know, what with his dad being a medium and all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Darko posted:

Yeah, try explaining Ocelot's plan, starting with Snake Eater and how he ended up somehow fulfilling it in MGS4. It's the most convoluted nonsense ever.
You're acting like the dude wasn't just winging it most of the time. In any case, the story of MGS is basically just a bunch of people who hero worship, and then spend decades loving up the world in pursuit of their interpretation of their hero's ideals. Most of the stuff people call convoluted is just window dressing around that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
love can definitely bloom even on the battlefield, there will always be a weapon to surpass metal gear, there are no heroes in war, and what you think you see is only as real as your brain tells you it is

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wait until you see the plot of Gundam

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Darko posted:

I caught that too; there was a super blatant cut back and forth to black with a total scene change there.

The show does this all the time, literally every episode. I'm guessing it's for dramatic effect?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Darko posted:

It's the most convoluted nonsense ever.

Kingdom Hearts still exists

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Halores has taken over the world with nanotech flies and put all the humans in park-like "cities" where they're subliminally controlled by infrasound towers. Maeve and Caleb tried to stop her, but Maeve got buried in an explosion and Caleb got killed then resurrected as a Host.

Bernard used his time in The Infinite to run millions of simulations of different ways to stop her and has returned to put the best one into action by digging up Maeve and teaming up with Caleb's daughter. Also Stubbs is there. Oh yeah and it turns out the Infinite is housed on a server farm at a hydroelectric dam.

Halores wants all the Hosts to evolve past their human-based programming and "ascend" (we don't know what that actually means yet) but it's a hard sell even to herself. Host William is getting sick of being Halores' lil bitch, which is not helped by his chats with Real William, who is kept on ice. He ends up killing Halores and Maeve, then setting all the cities to Deathmatch/The Purge mode.

Meanwhile there's a Dolores variant called Christine who doesn't know she's a host and thinks the narratives she writes are for computer games and not actually controlling the lives of humans in the cities. Also Teddy is there. and then it turns out that they're in a simulation somehow but interfacing with the real world? idk that was the cliffhanger of the last episode so I guess we'll find out

Best synopsis of the season. Especially the "Also Teddy is there."

I'm sure there will be a DUN DUN DUNN moment in the finale where it reveals who he really is, but I'm tired of "the actor who is known to the audience and contractually obligated to show up to set was actually ____ wearing a skinsuit all along!"

It's no longer a twist. It's convolution.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Am I misremembering or did Bernard not literally change Stubbs's programming so that he'd serve and protect him?

Pretty funny to see them being all emotional at the end there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Chris James 2 posted:

Kingdom Hearts still exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEwxKkCGJE

Get Nort'ed

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nah they made those like 2 games in the aughts then it just kinda went away. Shame

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Is it correct that the The Infinite runs simulations of the world based on all the data and The Sublime is AI paradise? They are two distinct things right?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Owling Howl posted:

Is it correct that the The Infinite runs simulations of the world based on all the data and The Sublime is AI paradise? They are two distinct things right?

The Infinite is AI paradise, Bernard just used it as a World Simulator because he wasn't going to stay. I don't think we've ever actually been told what The Sublime is, but to me it just sounds like The Infinite mk II, made because no-one could get into The Infinite (right up until Bernard opened the door and left it open)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
As evolved and above the physical world as the AI now are, they are still turbo hosed if someone cuts the power to the server farm.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, given that Amazon and Google already understand the importance of offsite data redundancy, you'd think a hyper-intelligent AI in 2080 would have a more robust system for their cloud heaven than the one server farm powered by a singular source.

You'd think they'd put together a few dozen networked sites worldwide, all powered by different renewables and/or nuclear. Probably wouldn't hurt to have accessible drone hosts in the physical world to handle repairs or manufacturing new equipment and what-not.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Collateral posted:

As evolved and above the physical world as the AI now are, they are still turbo hosed if someone cuts the power to the server farm.

Excession, by Iain M Banks posted:

There was only one problem with the Land of Infinite Fun, and that was that if you ever did lose yourself in it completely - as Minds occasionally did, just as humans sometimes surrendered utterly to some AI environment - you could forget that there was a base reality at all. In a way, this didn't really matter, as long as there was somebody back where you came from minding the hearth. The problem came when there was nobody left or inclined to tend the fire, mind the store, look after the housekeeping (or however you wanted to express it), or if somebody or something else - somebody or something from outside, the sort of entity that came under the general heading of an Outside Context Problem, for example - decided they wanted to meddle with the fire in that hearth, the stock in the store, the contents and running of the house; if you'd spent all your time having Fun, with no way back to reality, or just no idea what to do to protect yourself when you did get back there, then you were vulnerable. In fact, you were probably dead, or enslaved.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
They're pulling some more time poo poo with Teddy and Charlotte not being anywhere near the same continuity as Bernard and Maeve, aren't they? Time shenanigans were a fun twist in S1 but it's made me doubt the timelines of any group that isn't speaking to each other in the same room. They've even already pulled it this season! Stupid show. Excited for the finale.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jorge Bell posted:

They're pulling some more time poo poo with Teddy and Charlotte not being anywhere near the same continuity as Bernard and Maeve, aren't they? Time shenanigans were a fun twist in S1 but it's made me doubt the timelines of any group that isn't speaking to each other in the same room. They've even already pulled it this season! Stupid show. Excited for the finale.
The twist this time is that Teddy and Charlotte aren't in the same continuity either.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Jorge Bell posted:

Do you mean Christina? Charlotte was definitely in the same continuity as Maeve, at least for part of the last episode.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Christina, and by extension Teddy, are not physical beings. They exist in a simulation of the world that perfectly emulates the real world in real time.

How this squares up with a real person physically cutting Christina, and Teddy beating the poo poo out him, I don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So this real world of mind controlled humans walking around for the amusement of Halores, it doesn't even need the back end service depots to make the humans act properly like in the Westworld park. Everything just get explained away with cheap rear end FX nanomachine flies?