Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

To be fair it’s a great time of year to camp in a canyon and do meth.

Yeah which canyon is this and do you think they'll share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah don't knock it til you try it.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

resident posted:

Their MO this year was just stand around and try to make the party uncomfortable, but they barely shut bars down, much less gas stations or whatever poo poo they were pulling last year.

I'm super late to RAGBRAI chat, but, this was probably the best year I've ridden, and I've ridden since 2015. The cold front that moved in the evening of Day Zero was amazing. The constant tail-wind through the week was amazing. These two factors, plus the century day not being a loop meant you got to keep that tailwind and moderate temperatures all day long. This was probably the best conditions ever for RAGBRAI participants to get in their century.

The troopers were very chill compared to last year. Last year, they were going up to private residences on the Karras loop and telling them to turn off their water hoses. I don't know for sure, but I think the change in directorship had a lot to do with it. This year's director had done many RAGBRAIs while last year's had never done one and their background was in race organization.

My team (Ducktail) had our 10th anniversary party on-route Monday just past Nemah, before the midtown, with a slip-n-slide, and it was a blast. Hopefully ya'll were able to enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to next year's route. I assume as it's the 50th anniversary, that it'll go through Des Moines again and be a complete poo poo-show. See ya'll there!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

I bought padded liner shorts at REI on a whim because they were on clearance. How have I been rawdogging the saddle this long? My butt feels incredible!

Now try bibs and never look back

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Last year, they were going up to private residences on the Karras loop and telling them to turn off their water hoses.

Why would they do this?

Troopers = police?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Why would they do this?

Troopers = police?

Troopers are state police vs local police, since RAGBRAI runs across the whole state they provide the “support”

As for why they do it, ATAB, hth

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want a drop bar fat bike for winter.

That or a plus bike. For when the snow is falling so I can still get to work

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

wooger posted:

Why would they do this?

Troopers = police?
They do it because they're trying to find ways to force the cyclists to make progress towards the final town. In recent years they've started barring access to vital services and supplies as well as shutting down private businesses. It had gotten pretty bad.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

They do it because they're trying to find ways to force the cyclists to make progress towards the final town. In recent years they've started barring access to vital services and supplies as well as shutting down private businesses. It had gotten pretty bad.

I still don’t get why they would do this, it sounds completely insane.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

To be fair groups of cyclists can be loving awful. I remember reading about a bikepacking race which had to be cancelled by the organiser because people were just making GBS threads in people's gardens.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

To be fair groups of cyclists can be loving awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TWSWSZjJ08

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I want a drop bar fat bike for winter.

That or a plus bike. For when the snow is falling so I can still get to work

Plus bikes are the worst of both worlds and a bunch of labels dropped them in favor of 29*2.6 for that reason. Just get a fat bike with relatively short reach and run a shorter stem for your drops. A buddy of mine loved his cowchipper equipped Cooker.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

plus bikes are just frames which can fit fatter tyres. They're good.

edit: to be fair im biased. <3 my surly bridge club.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2022

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
after dead on 500 km on these new gp 5k s trs i just noticed this in my front tyre. i think it happened on my ride yesterday, as i heard a sound coming from the front wheel

how hosed is it? should it be replaced or am i being overly cautious even considering doing so?

e: i'm running these with (latex) tubes for what it's worth

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 10, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Looks like the sidewall is fine. I'd patch the inside of tire and ride it

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

after dead on 500 km on these new gp 5k s trs i just noticed this in my front tyre. i think it happened on my ride yesterday, as i heard a sound coming from the front wheel

how hosed is it? should it be replaced or am i being overly cautious even considering doing so?

e: i'm running these with (latex) tubes for what it's worth

Switch to running tubeless and use a DynaPlug.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

When in doubt put questionable tires on the rear to reduce likelihood of dying if it suddenly gives out.

Regarding that tire. I'd still ride it unless it bulges or the threads are cut.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks guys, I'll at least swap it to the back

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Looks like the sidewall is fine. I'd patch the inside of tire and ride it

This is what it looks like inside. Does patching this even achieve anything?

It's hard to take a better picture, it's that tiny. Apologies

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 10, 2022

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Definitely patch it

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, little holes like that can let sand in, and the friction of that rubbing against the tube can cause small leaks. Definitely worth patching.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I did a ride last Sunday:

I beat last years time on this event by two minutes, which doesn't sound that cool, but they added this section (and 2 miles) at mile 90 which was quite the surprise:

Not bad for an old guy who used to be very very fat.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

VideoGameVet posted:

I beat last years time on this event by two minutes, which doesn't sound that cool, but they added this section (and 2 miles) at mile 90 which was quite the surprise:

I love Hillside. That spiral loop at the bottom (Al Bahr) before you approach Hillside is the best way to go up Mt Soledad imo. Took my 13 year old nephew that way (his first big road climb) up to the top on Saturday.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

VideoGameVet posted:

Very badass! Could you do it on your new ‘bent?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Climbed Mt Soledad a few times when I was in SD earlier this year. Some of those roads are stupid steep. Especially coming from Colorado, where most of the road climbs are like 6%, due to winter/snow/traction concerns.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eeenmachine posted:

Very badass! Could you do it on your new ‘bent?

I did it on the Bacchetta. Not so bad. The Trike would be super easy (no balancing) but way slower for the ride overall.

I'm looking at getting this:

Someone has a new frame for sale. Crabon Fiber

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dema posted:

Climbed Mt Soledad a few times when I was in SD earlier this year. Some of those roads are stupid steep. Especially coming from Colorado, where most of the road climbs are like 6%, due to winter/snow/traction concerns.

Go ride Magnolia in Boulder if you want steep. Most of the Boulder climbs have steep sections at some point. Flag, Sunshine, Jamestown, Lefthand, Lee Hill, etc all do. But yeah the averages tend to be 6-8%.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dema posted:

I live at the top of a double digit grade climb.

Three approaches. This is the steepest:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Called the bike shop today to check the status of my backordered bicycle. This is the end of Week 32, which is when it should've been in. We've been chasing this since I put the deposit down in early March, when the ETA was week 27 or 28 or something, but they did tell me that everything has been nuts and that time was extremely optimistic. So, I didn't expect it to be in back in July. As the dates approached, I'd ask, and it'd be pushed back a week or two. Well... I did get the word today that it has left the warehouse, and with typical shipping, it'll be in early next week.

Which means that if I want to Pedal for Autism, I'll either be doing it on my Escape, which I know and love very well; or a brand new road cycle.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Finally mounted some tires on the wheelset I built up, and apparently mounting tubeless tires affects spoke tension? No one told me! Those first few kms my wheels were making some really strange noises until I realized something was wrong. Checked spoke tension and they had dropped about 45% since building the wheels. :stare:

Retensioned the wheels (with tires still mounted, ugh, thanks tubeless) and so far so good.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Oh boy. This is a contentious topic between old bike grouches.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
What's the contention? That if they're "built correctly" they won't lose tension after the tire is mounted? Did I not tension them enough in the first place? I had the high tension side spokes at around 100kgf on both wheels before mounting the tires.

And now that I re-tensioned them to 100 with tires mounted, what's going to happen when I take the tires off? :sweatdrop:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Spoke tension is a weird one. It's often hard to find for a rim and depends a bit on the spokes used as well. I have always gone for high initial tension, around 120 kgf, knowing that the tubeless tires will take a bit out. I'm sure you know even tension is the critical thing for long term stable wheels. Perhaps 100 was just a bit low for tight tires.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wifi Toilet posted:

And now that I re-tensioned them to 100 with tires mounted, what's going to happen when I take the tires off? :sweatdrop:
Yeah, that's the question. Hopefully it is still less than the max tension your rim can handle. The advice above about going max tension without tire and hoping it leaves you with a ridable tension with tire is probably the best general advice.

I don't exactly have data to back this up, but I think butted spokes can slightly mitigate this effect because the narrow section can stretch a bit more.

E: by grouches, I mean some person who believes bicycle technology was perfected in 1970 will come out of the woodwork and use this as a reason to rant against tubeless tires and rims.

In reality, bicycles were perfected on the day 8 speed hyperglide was released.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

I did my first 100km+ ride today, feeling very satisfied and can confirm the thread title.

Slow and steady :)
Next up, of course, a proper century (once it's a bit warmer outside and perhaps on a less windy day)

Oh hey, finally fulfilled my goal from my first post in this thread! Less wind... and a different bike.

And put a little bit on top to get to Ironman distance, since they had one of those big events here last weekend.

Cycling has made me incredibly attractive - or maybe it's the retro Finnish steel frame - because a cyclist was attracted to crash into me at around the 140k mark (I suppose it was her fault, since she was super apologetic) but fortunately we both made it out of it fairly well. Just had to straighten my handlebar and put the chain back on, a few bumps on my right hand side and a bit of road rash on my right side thigh and elbow.

A few k of pretty white dusty gravel included on the route.

Now to eat some pizza and ice cream.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wifi Toilet posted:

What's the contention? That if they're "built correctly" they won't lose tension after the tire is mounted? Did I not tension them enough in the first place? I had the high tension side spokes at around 100kgf on both wheels before mounting the tires.

I've built 3 sets of wheels and I had 1 wheel of the 6 where the tension dropped all over as soon as I was putting weight on it. I debugged it down to forgetting to grease the nipples (oops) and there was a bunch of tension everywhere that was just waiting to pop and ping. That one eventually settled in after 4-5 rounds of adjusting it and then riding on it, but the other wheels didn't have the same issue.

I have never used tubeless tires and I don't really know anything about bikes. (lol)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sounds like you had a lot of spoke windup?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

I have seen a rim die when a tire was removed because of this.

It was a Velocity rim, so it was probably going to fail soon anyway, but hearing all the nipple holes crack at once was fun.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bicievino posted:

I have seen a rim die when a tire was removed because of this.

It was a Velocity rim, so it was probably going to fail soon anyway, but hearing all the nipple holes crack at once was fun.

Are velocity rims bad now?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I love to hate velocity. They are heavy, dent easily, and aren't super round.

I also keep buying them because I give myself stupid build requirements like needing to be a weird size, tubeless compatible, and rim brake compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Are velocity rims bad now?

Velocity rims have been bad since they moved from Australia to the US.