Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Anyone have a good up-to-date alarm clock app rec? I used to use Timely, but apparently it's so old and abandoned that it's not officially supported by Android 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Quixzlizx posted:

Anyone have a good up-to-date alarm clock app rec? I used to use Timely, but apparently it's so old and abandoned that it's not officially supported by Android 12.

*taps the thread title*

AMDroid is what you want. It's not named very well so I get missing it.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

effika posted:

*taps the thread title*

AMDroid is what you want. It's not named very well so I get missing it.

Haha, thanks. I would've guessed it was some sort of radio app at first glance.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I love the Google Calendar integration where you can tell AMDroid to scan your calendar and set an alarm ~1 hour before every event named "Work", it's a lifesaver if you live the kind of schedule you can't describe with a simple daily pattern. Maybe once a month an alarm will get created in the disabled state for inexplicable reasons but I've just learned to check for that and it's definitely in the black considering all the times it's woken me up when I forgot I needed to be.

Realize Google Calendar can set a pre-event alert by itself but little touches like the fade-in volume on the alarm AMDroid offers are a huge difference. Worth paying for imo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
After a few years of using Solid Exploer it stopped extending my trial period. Does anybody have a recommendation for a free file manager app?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

VictualSquid posted:

After a few years of using Solid Exploer it stopped extending my trial period. Does anybody have a recommendation for a free file manager app?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What's your use case?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Speed Software Explorer is just no bullshit, no ads, free, multi tab, with smb client integrated. No complaints, not anything missing as far as my needs go.

E: I guess I more accurately mean tabbed instead of multi tab

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 29, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i don't know how to check the price now but it was two bucks when i bought it. if you've been using it for years then throw them a few bucks. if you really want to be cheap you can earn that through the surveys pretty quickly

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Sleep as Android

VictualSquid posted:

Total Commander

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

butt dickus posted:

i don't know how to check the price now but it was two bucks when i bought it. if you've been using it for years then throw them a few bucks. if you really want to be cheap you can earn that through the surveys pretty quickly

I had expected them to be more expensive. Looking it up it costs 6€ which is several years worth of surveys in my location.

Anyways, I tried Total Commander and it looks good.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tamba posted:

Sleep as Android

Seconded, but with the caveat that there's been a lot of feature bloat added around a strong core.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Seconded, but with the caveat that there's been a lot of feature bloat added around a strong core.

Absolutely, but you can just ignore / turn off all of the features you don't need. That said, I love that it can talk to my Hue lights to slowly turn them on when the alarm goes off

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 29, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any recommendations for an app to crop and resize pictures?

Also, I realized it'd be neat to get a sound alert when the phone is charging and at maybe 90% and then 100%. Does anything like that exist?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

nielsm posted:

Also, I realized it'd be neat to get a sound alert when the phone is charging and at maybe 90% and then 100%. Does anything like that exist?

Tasker is great for that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

nielsm posted:

....Google Photos??

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

nielsm posted:

Photo Editor is really nice if you need more than what Google Photos can do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Honestly, I'm after something with less features than Google Photos. I can't remember last time I needed anything more than cropping and perhaps scaling down a screenshot or photo for posting on Discord.
My ideal flow would be something like opening the app immediately gives me the 6 latest pictures on the device, pressing one immediately opens it for cropping, and pressing the Save button on that gives a list of a few options for saving at original resolution or a few predefined smaller sizes.
Maybe I should just use this as an opportunity to learn to make Android apps.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nielsm posted:

for just cropping and resizing/compressing (which google photos cannot do), I've been using Photo Compressor and Resizer, which lets you resize to specific resolutions and change file types as well. it does have ads but they're the ignorable non-intrusive kind

e: this is exactly what you're looking for

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

for just cropping and resizing/compressing (which google photos cannot do), I've been using Photo Compressor and Resizer, which lets you resize to specific resolutions and change file types as well. it does have ads but they're the ignorable non-intrusive kind

e: this is exactly what you're looking for

This is the app I ended up settling on as well when I looked a few weeks ago. I wish there were a similar app for compressing video to a target file size or resolution but all the ones I found were abysmal with ads.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

nielsm posted:

Honestly, I'm after something with less features than Google Photos. I can't remember last time I needed anything more than cropping and perhaps scaling down a screenshot or photo for posting on Discord.
My ideal flow would be something like opening the app immediately gives me the 6 latest pictures on the device, pressing one immediately opens it for cropping, and pressing the Save button on that gives a list of a few options for saving at original resolution or a few predefined smaller sizes.
Maybe I should just use this as an opportunity to learn to make Android apps.

Gallery Go by Google is what you want. A lightweight gallery app that is able to crop images and a few other goodies.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
I'm looking for a decent document scanner + ocr app that let's me customize the directory it drops files to.

Any body got a good one?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm looking for timers that chime every 30 seconds, for exercises/stretches and whatnot. And that I could leave on and have that continue, but also could reset easily etc. Any cool ones? Also preferably the sound isn't annoying. I've been doing mississippi seconds in my head like an animal.

Ideally, for an extra fancy example, maybe I could set it to 35 seconds, have a 5 or 10 second break to get in position for the next one, then have 35 seconds go again. So I don't have to mess with it all the time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for timers that chime every 30 seconds, for exercises/stretches and whatnot. And that I could leave on and have that continue, but also could reset easily etc. Any cool ones? Also preferably the sound isn't annoying. I've been doing mississippi seconds in my head like an animal.

Ideally, for an extra fancy example, maybe I could set it to 35 seconds, have a 5 or 10 second break to get in position for the next one, then have 35 seconds go again. So I don't have to mess with it all the time.

TABATA is the search term for what you want and there are a billion of them. I use one called 'tabata timer: interval timer' and it works perfectly for what I want with custom intervals so never really looked around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Excellent, thanks!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Seconds Pro is amazing. It let's you eg use tts to read out the next exercise and beeps in lots of different ways.

https://www.intervaltimer.com/

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Can't figure out my problem with Android Auto since getting my 6a. It works fine on another 6a I got for someone else at launch. I've tried uninstalling the app and then updating it (since I guess you can't truly uninstall it anymore) and now the app isn't even showing on my phone, but it's supposedly installed.

Tried in another car where Android Auto was working with a 6a. Phone still charges and I've used an official Google cable as well as the gas station one the other phone works fine with. So it's not the car and not the cable.

I don't get the notification anymore to change how the USB reacts (which I got on the other 6a) and I've gone through the developer options to set the default to File Transfer / Android Auto, but that didn't work either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Auto isn't a separate app on Pixel devices, it's integrated in with the settings and should show up if you search for it from within settings.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I can find the app under Apps in Settings, but the icon used to also be on the app folder and it's gone now. Still can't get it to actually connect to the car though.

It worked when 1st got my pixel 6a and then it just stopped working while I was driving one day. Maybe 2 more times it loaded when I started the car and then stopped. Now I can't get it to recognize it at all and can only charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure what you had installed, but Android Auto hasn't been an icon under the app drawer for a long time on pixel devices.

Whatever goofiness that was going on there is likely the root of your issues, but I'm not sure what it is.

I'm also not talking about android auto being under Apps in settings. The app itself is in settings.

Connected Devices -> Connection Preferences -> Android Auto

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 11, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had it just stop working in my mom's Honda. There was some pop up that I hit and I could never make it connect again. Her phone was fine, mine never worked until I got a new phone. I think that was an issue with the car, not the phone, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure what you had installed, but Android Auto hasn't been an icon under the app drawer for a long time on pixel devices.
it's there for me on my 6pro. i keep it disabled because my car's infotainment system is a 6-disc changer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh geeze, it IS there. I could have sworn it moved out of the app drawer when it went into settings.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It kind of seems like the app drawer icon just links to the settings menu, though (or vice versa?). So maybe you're not entirely wrong?

I didn't realize it was contained within settings now. I haven't even thought about how to access on my phone in ages, I guess.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a go-to add-on for Firefox Android ad-blocking?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a go-to add-on for Firefox Android ad-blocking?

Ublock origin works for me on desktop and android

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know a way to have whatsapp (and possibly other apps) use a different notification sound while my phone is connected to my bluetooth headphones?
I have it is vibrate a bit with no sound normally, but don't notice that if I have my headphones in. I want to play a ding or something through the speakers if it is connected. But, no sound if I don't wear headphones.

It is a MiA2 on stock Anroid 10.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A few updates ago the Google Authenticator app made a change that I'd never thought about but seemed obvious once I saw it -- instead of displaying all your codes as soon as you open the app, they were hidden until you tapped on the item you needed. Aside from mitigating an unlikely but not quite impossible shoulder surfing attack, it was just way easier to read the code you wanted when it wasn't in the middle of a dozen other six-digit numbers. Then after an update it went back to showing them all at once. Why?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

A few updates ago the Google Authenticator app made a change that I'd never thought about but seemed obvious once I saw it -- instead of displaying all your codes as soon as you open the app, they were hidden until you tapped on the item you needed. Aside from mitigating an unlikely but not quite impossible shoulder surfing attack, it was just way easier to read the code you wanted when it wasn't in the middle of a dozen other six-digit numbers. Then after an update it went back to showing them all at once. Why?

Sounds like A/B testing

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like A/B testing
So how do they hypothetically collect any data from this sort of test, like do they survey some users or what cause that's not the kind of app where you would show more engagement if you liked the interface, unless I'm missing some subtle thing they could objectively measure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beemdevelopment.aegis&gl=US

Aegis has a "tap to reveal" setting