Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

QuarkJets posted:

Tailoring is the worst skill to level, it's due for a balance pass. Even the tapes are mostly Home VHS, meaning you can only find them in houses with a low chance.

There's a few mods that automate tailoring, mechanics, and cooking. It's nothing you can't do on your own - tailoring will just automatically queue up adding and removing patches over and over until you cancel it. Mechanics does the same thing with car parts, and cooking chooses random ingredients from those available in range. They're really nice quality of life things for grinding skills or cooking dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I just applied that campfire strategy lmao it worked great

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the smell of victory :discourse:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[PZ] just noticed that now I can use flora and stuff like peanuts and whatnot to use in salads which I couldn't before, nice.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Lone Badger posted:

[SoD2] A loading-screen tip said that Juggernauts are fire-resistant. How resistant? Are thermite grenades useful at all?

I think this got lost in the Zomboid chat, which is understandable. Fire doesn't do a lot of damage to juggernauts. I think the explosion from a thermite grenade is useful, but not the fire part. I usually avoid dealing with juggernauts unless absolutely necessary (on Dread diff and above, they're always Blood Juggs so they do plague damage in addition to being big smashy bois). When I have to engage, I try to lure them to my base or a nearby enclave, if possible. Otherwise, normal explosives and a lot of bullets will usually do the trick. Getting a juggernaut to charge you isn't hard, so placed explosive (box mines and such) should help, too. I haven't actually had to deal with one by myself in forever.

I recently got back into SoD2 myself because I saw someone on my friends list playing it, and in the last 3 or 4 days, The Ones Who Lived (best community name I've had so far) went from Day 2 with 3 survivors up to day 11 or 12 with a crew of 8 or 9, living at the brewery. There have been 2 deaths. One was just bad luck on my first plague heart adventure (got wrecked by a Feral, which allowed the horde of plague zeds to do their thing), and a Juggernaut outside my base tore poor Phobos in half when she was still just a Recruit. Gracie, her former enclave member (I rescued one of them and then they both wanted to join up), has become a zombie-slaying badass to avenge her (took her out to clear some infestations and went from Recruit to Hero by the time she was done - she used plenty of ammo and firebombs to do it, though).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[PZ] WTF I ENTERED A HOUSE I'D BEEN BEFORE AFTER THE UPDATE AND IT TRIGGERED AN ALARM

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Big Scary Owl posted:

[PZ] WTF I ENTERED A HOUSE I'D BEEN BEFORE AFTER THE UPDATE AND IT TRIGGERED AN ALARM

Yeah they added a bunch of stuff to the map, and I guess the map conversion process isn't perfect. There were some patch notes about fixing zombie spawns in previously cleared buildings, but I guess they didn't account for house alarms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I gave up on killing plague juggernauts after I lured the first heartland one over two military landmines then emptied an assault shotgun into it until it broke. Still alive.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Iirc .50 cal to the dome is the quickest way to deal with them

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having only found one of the early shotguns they honestly feel kinda not good in SoD2. I killed a plague heart from full with only a mag with an assault rifle using 7.62 ammo. Tried another with a shotgun and it took uh, almost 50 shotgun ammo? Plus whatever explosives I threw at it which probably was the reason it finally died.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Every plague heart you kill makes the others stronger, so you were dealing with a larger health pool to start. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if shotguns are bad against single harder targets than rifles, since the game mostly designates them as crowd control weapons.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The assault rifle was my... 3rd heart I think? Maybe 4th, the shotgun was maybe 5 or 6. Good to know the health pools go up, it makes sense at least.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island as it was recommended by a couple of people in this thread. It's a different take on the survival genre and works using cards. This isn't a card game like Slay the Spire though, there are different regions of the island you go to to harvest different resources. There are also some pretty neat integrated systems and skill and crafting as well that you level up.

For example, at the beginning of the game I could barely catch anything with a spear and I could really only use a "rustic spear" (basically a spear sharpened with a stone). After spear fishing enough, I learned how to make a fishing spear! So now I can spear things (fish and other stuff) even better.

Levelling up my woodworking let me make a shield and training with my lovely spear leveled up my abilities spearing things. I took down a couple boars and monitor lizards and I have meat for days!

Unfortunately I died from overheating...while repeatedly diving in the ocean. Also I killed a shark somehow that attacked me while I was diving with my spear and shield.

:rip:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vasler posted:

I've been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island as it was recommended by a couple of people in this thread. It's a different take on the survival genre and works using cards. This isn't a card game like Slay the Spire though, there are different regions of the island you go to to harvest different resources. There are also some pretty neat integrated systems and skill and crafting as well that you level up.

For example, at the beginning of the game I could barely catch anything with a spear and I could really only use a "rustic spear" (basically a spear sharpened with a stone). After spear fishing enough, I learned how to make a fishing spear! So now I can spear things (fish and other stuff) even better.

Levelling up my woodworking let me make a shield and training with my lovely spear leveled up my abilities spearing things. I took down a couple boars and monitor lizards and I have meat for days!

Unfortunately I died from overheating...while repeatedly diving in the ocean. Also I killed a shark somehow that attacked me while I was diving with my spear and shield.

:rip:

How's the replayability? I loved Stacklands, another kinda survival card game, but burned through the content pretty quick.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wow! I hope I don't encounter this... :ohdear: Also, once I finally got around to digging graves for the original occupants/employees of the relay station I call home (after living there for just under a week, so they've been rotting on the driveway for maybe five days...) I notice that zombie bodies generate maggots now! (eurgh!)
Do they have any use, that anyone is aware of? Like aiding in composting (like worms) or perhaps as a...not-so-great bait solution, for fishing?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Wow! I hope I don't encounter this... :ohdear: Also, once I finally got around to digging graves for the original occupants/employees of the relay station I call home (after living there for just under a week, so they've been rotting on the driveway for maybe five days...) I notice that zombie bodies generate maggots now! (eurgh!)
Do they have any use, that anyone is aware of? Like aiding in composting (like worms) or perhaps as a...not-so-great bait solution, for fishing?

I saw the maggots as well, there's a note about them on the patch notes:

quote:

- Maggots that spawn with zombie corpses will be mildly poisonous.

Not sure if that affects in composting or fishing though, I have only been fishing using spears. Unrelated but I decided to start increasing my tailoring skill due to that one poster calling me out on my fashion. I've only increased it once but hey it's something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If they're poisonous then I guess they could be used to poison food

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

If they're poisonous then I guess they could be used to poison food

Ah yes, as an alternative to drinking bleach to kill yourself in your post-apocalypse depression. :v:
Speaking of which, is it wrong that I use a bleach bottle an NPC used to kill themselves with, as a water bottle? I just realised I've been drinking out of someone's chosen suicide implement (for lack of better words) as my water container for a couple of ingame weeks now...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not like they're using it anymore :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nah it's cool but bourbon bottles are actually the best water bottles, in style and by weight per unit of water held (when full)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Not like they're using it anymore :shrug:

And it’s already sterile!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Glad to report back that the wall-crate-wall trick still works in PZ :dance:

Spun up a new server today to try out the new version while I wait for the goon server to update, liking it so far. There appear to be some updated animations for pushing zombies back plus the new admin tools are pretty awesome.

The zombies do appear to be harder to lose these days as well - took a pack of 20 on a loop of the block in Muldraugh and about 10 kept following the whole way (then killed me).

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Kvlt! posted:

How's the replayability? I loved Stacklands, another kinda survival card game, but burned through the content pretty quick.

It seems good, but it depends on what you're looking for. There's different characters you can start with and they all start with different skills and equipment. You can even make a custom character!

The game loop is going to be similar with any character, but how long it takes you to get established will differ.

For example, I'm playing as the "survivor" which is labeled as "relaxed" because they start with an entire kit of goodies like a knife and axe that you can sharpen so you skip the entire stone tool portion of the game.

Even with that and the water purification tablets you get, I've still died. Most of my deaths (4 so far) have been due to overheating and developing hyperthermia. I haven't figured out how to not die of this yet.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Just picked the terribly-named SCUM back up for the first time in a while to join a buddy. He found me, brought me back to his cabin, and let me help myself to his stock of clothes and food. There was a river nearby so I drank some water, but I was standing in the river when I did so. I got trench foot from walking around in wet socks and hiking boots for a few (in-game) hours. By the time I noticed it and built a fire, it was already stabilizing, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I'm glad to see the medical system got some more love since last time I played. I had to warm up by the fire and dry my clothes because I was getting chilly (and didn't want to get frostbite or something if it gets too cold at night and I'm still in wet pants).

The last time I played was before they added airplanes, and I still don't understand why they did that. Boats are good because you can go further from the shore to fish (I don't know if more fish spawn in open waters than along the shore, but it feels like something the devs would throw in), but an airplane just feels unnecessary to me. I'm playing SCUM for stuff like trench foot, infected wounds, vitamin/mineral management, burping/farting from my digestive issues (in the game!), and the detailed archery system ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjZoeKVsPc ), not flying around in my airplane while a buddy shoots zombies/other players.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
[Vintage Story] how tf do I find tin? So much copper, but no tin to be found. Prospecting pick doesn’t seem to work as well as I had hoped. Node or Surveying modes show me everything but tin seemingly.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

buglord posted:

[Vintage Story] how tf do I find tin? So much copper, but no tin to be found. Prospecting pick doesn’t seem to work as well as I had hoped. Node or Surveying modes show me everything but tin seemingly.

Oh boy, here we go. First: there are surface deposits, which may be under a few tiles of rock sometimes, indicated by scattered copper nuggets on the surface. There are sometimes surface tin deposits, but they are extremely rare by comparison. To get anything better than copper you'll need to find alloying metals, and those are mostly found in subsurface deposits, which is what the prospecting pick (propick) is for. In fact, the propick won't indicate surface deposits at all.

If you haven't already, start by downloading this mod to make your life a hell of a lot easier. Then, use density search. The first of the three tiles you dig will be the actual point you're prospecting, and the results of that prospection are specific to whatever chunk that point was sitting in. The mod should automatically pin the results to your map, which will only be visible when you have a propick in hand. Now you need to work on tracking down an actual deposit.

Vintage Story's ore generation, as I understand it, operates on wide-scale "veins of probability". If you have, say, a 10% result for copper in one chunk, and then you triangulate again in an adjacent chunk, that percentage will probably go up or down, but it won't vanish entirely. Basically you want to play "hot or cold" with repeated prospections until you find the highest concentration you can of your desired ore. That doesn't necessarily mean there will even be a deposit where you dig, but it gives you the best chance. If you aren't even finding traces of what you're looking for, travel several chunks away and try again. If you find even the remotest traces of what you're looking for, you should be able to use that to track down an actual deposit; it just might take a while. Once you get strapped in and start digging for real is when you finally make use of the Node detection, to see if there are any ores within a radius of X blocks from the point you dug. You'll probably want to try taking samples several blocks apart going in a straight line until you stop getting results, then turn 90 degrees and repeat. There's also every chance it'll end up being above or below you, so keep that in mind as well. Maybe check the wiki for the probable depths of what you're looking for.

Good luck.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 11, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
For tin specifically you're also looking for metamorphic or igneous rock layers, thats:

Phyllite
Slate
Marble (found as deposits in phyllite or slate)
Andesite
Granite
Peridotite
Basalt

According to the wiki. You may need to travel a substantial distance to find deposits of any given metal. Keep in mind that you can build roads, which make you travel slightly faster.

"Travelling on Stone Path Blocks or Stone Path Slabs increases player movement speed by 33 %, while Stone Path Stairs increase movement speed by 20 %."

Path blocks are built from rocks and dirt, so mining will probably leave you with significant building materials to create them. even a partial path in the direction of your eventual tin find will make travel easier. Same goes for iron, which you'll eventually need.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Also worth noting that you don't want to drive yourself crazy trying to hunt down tin specifically (which will show up in prospecting as cassiterite) if you have other options available. If you can track down zinc (sphalerite) + bismuth (bismuthinite), or gold + silver, make use of whatever you can. Bronze is too important of a milestone to be picky about.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah the server im on just informed me that “Tin” will never show up when prospecting and I felt simultaneously very happy and very angry at just now learning that….I installed the mod yall requested above. Thanks for all the pointers so far. I’m gonna give it another shot tomorrow.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

Just picked the terribly-named SCUM back up for the first time in a while to join a buddy. He found me, brought me back to his cabin, and let me help myself to his stock of clothes and food. There was a river nearby so I drank some water, but I was standing in the river when I did so. I got trench foot from walking around in wet socks and hiking boots for a few (in-game) hours. By the time I noticed it and built a fire, it was already stabilizing, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I'm glad to see the medical system got some more love since last time I played. I had to warm up by the fire and dry my clothes because I was getting chilly (and didn't want to get frostbite or something if it gets too cold at night and I'm still in wet pants).

The last time I played was before they added airplanes, and I still don't understand why they did that. Boats are good because you can go further from the shore to fish (I don't know if more fish spawn in open waters than along the shore, but it feels like something the devs would throw in), but an airplane just feels unnecessary to me. I'm playing SCUM for stuff like trench foot, infected wounds, vitamin/mineral management, burping/farting from my digestive issues (in the game!), and the detailed archery system ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjZoeKVsPc ), not flying around in my airplane while a buddy shoots zombies/other players.

It's getting there but very slowly. I played the hell outta SCUM when it started on EA back in 2018-19 and even then we wished for more realistic diseases, medical systems, cooking, etc. The metabolism system is in place and it's expanded but development seems rather glacial.

I also have absolutely no idea why they would put resources into making something so intricate such as airplanes which maybe one person on a server will use at a time.

Biggest issue for me is that the basic gameplay loop is exactly the same as it was in 2018 when EA started. You fight like a drunken boxer (animations haven't changed) the same zombies that were around in 2018 (and their AI is still the same, they still won't climb windows or open doors) and you gather the same kind of loot, with the exception that there are more guns now.

For me a reason to return would be an update on the PVE side. Missions, quests, roaming NPC's, dynamic events, stuff like that. There are concept of new monsters, but not coming anytime soon.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

buglord posted:

Yeah the server im on just informed me that “Tin” will never show up when prospecting and I felt simultaneously very happy and very angry at just now learning that….I installed the mod yall requested above. Thanks for all the pointers so far. I’m gonna give it another shot tomorrow.

It's also worth noting that if you have found a source of some kind of iron ore (hematite/magnetite/limonite) you just need a bronze anvil and then you can jump up to the next tier.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

TeaJay posted:

It's getting there but very slowly. I played the hell outta SCUM when it started on EA back in 2018-19 and even then we wished for more realistic diseases, medical systems, cooking, etc. The metabolism system is in place and it's expanded but development seems rather glacial.

I also have absolutely no idea why they would put resources into making something so intricate such as airplanes which maybe one person on a server will use at a time.

Biggest issue for me is that the basic gameplay loop is exactly the same as it was in 2018 when EA started. You fight like a drunken boxer (animations haven't changed) the same zombies that were around in 2018 (and their AI is still the same, they still won't climb windows or open doors) and you gather the same kind of loot, with the exception that there are more guns now.

For me a reason to return would be an update on the PVE side. Missions, quests, roaming NPC's, dynamic events, stuff like that. There are concept of new monsters, but not coming anytime soon.

There are NPC traders now (and I think at least one of them is a doctor) so cash is finally useful, but no, there haven't been any major changes to the core gameplay since I started playing it earlier this year, other than maybe the medical system revamp. I probably posted about it in this thread then and you probably said the same thing, and you're not wrong. Missions/quests would have been a better update than Airplanes!, imo.

I will say that the performance has gotten much better since last time I played though. Part of it is my computer having gotten an upgrade since then, but my friend was telling me that he noticed it too, and he hasn't changed anything. Specifically, the city (the one up north, because there's one down on the southern island now too) no longer causes stutters/lag, and it's not nearly as crowded as it used to be (that one might be server settings, though).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

buglord posted:

Tin absolutely shows up on prospecting searches, it just may not be in your area. The only mineable resources that don’t show are flint, obsidian, quartz, olivine, and halite (other than surface veins).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Stranded Deep just did their 1.0 release after 7 years of "early access", priced at $15. Is it worth playing if you haven't done so already?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Tin absolutely shows up on prospecting searches, it just may not be in your area. The only mineable resources that don’t show are flint, obsidian, quartz, olivine, and halite (other than surface veins).

It won't actually be called "tin" in the results though. Which is probably something one would reasonably expect from most games, as opposed to dealing with added layers of abstraction in the form of the alien-sounding base ore names. I'm no geologist, so it was a novel experience and I still have to doublecheck the wiki each time for that nonsense.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

I will say that the performance has gotten much better since last time I played though. Part of it is my computer having gotten an upgrade since then, but my friend was telling me that he noticed it too, and he hasn't changed anything. Specifically, the city (the one up north, because there's one down on the southern island now too) no longer causes stutters/lag, and it's not nearly as crowded as it used to be (that one might be server settings, though).

Yeah performance has gotten a lot better for sure. Although there are bugs it used to be a standard that every new patch made the game pretty much unplayable in the past with some new addition of people falling through the ground, deleting everything, being launched into space etc.

I still have worse FPS in Samobor (the big city) in general than elsewhere but I'm not running on the most update PC anyway (GTX 1660 Super GPU). Generally outside of Samobor though it's quite steady but the weather effects still dip the FPS. They promised some better performance in the future after making an update to a new UE version in the latest patch, though.

I mean I might be a bit too jaded, since I have followed the progress for years and it's not always going in the direction I'd hope. At least the devs are active and actually making the game, which is more than can be said about many hopeful survival projects.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It won't actually be called "tin" in the results though. Which is probably something one would reasonably expect from most games, as opposed to dealing with added layers of abstraction in the form of the alien-sounding base ore names. I'm no geologist, so it was a novel experience and I still have to doublecheck the wiki each time for that nonsense.

I have invested a more than wise amount of time in Dwarf Fotress, meaning that all those names are like old friends to me now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

esquilax posted:

Stranded Deep just did their 1.0 release after 7 years of "early access", priced at $15. Is it worth playing if you haven't done so already?
Guess it depends on your value of a dollar. I got it for $5 on a PS store sale iirc, and that seemed an appropriate price point. It's not terrible, has some decent mechanics, but it doesn't do anything novel or innovative.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I started a new game of Vintage Story last week with slightly increased ore rates and the non-ore settings set to easy - like maximum durability, high health, low hunger etc. I find it to still be a decent challenge to get things set up and just recently spent a good few hours travelling the map prospecting trying to find some tin, and then it still took a while to dig a mine-shaft and some exploration tunnels and prospecting to find the actual tin deposit. I used it just to make a new prospecting pick and pickaxe and then spent another few hours travelling further looking for iron, setting up little huts to spend the night as I went. I like how there are many systems that take some effort to set up - for the first time I made a trough and lured some goats closer before fencing the area in, and there were already a bunch of chickens and rabbits nearby, so I'll try out animal husbandry. While exploring I also kept an ear out for bees and marked them on my calendar for when I'm ready to set up a bee-field. I need to start on tanning soon, and would like to try making alcohol at some point also, plus eventually make a mill and set up automated flour-grinding... all of that takes a fair bit of effort but it seems to be reasonable, and is very satisfying to finish and just see it all working. I've never even chiselled a block yet, nor made steel.

I don't run a lot of mods but agree that the one that automatically marks your map with discovered ore/berries/resin is essential. I also like one that increases the duration fuel burns, it's excessive but I don't find that mechanic to be super engaging, it's enough for me that there are different fuel types and I'd rather not need to refuel the fireplace constantly. I also use a mod that lets you craft sticks from firewood which is more of a convenience thing at the start, later on you have easy twigs. I also recommend a "step up" or similar mod that automatically lets you step up one-block rises, and I want some kind of faster-travel mod, if I could craft a bike that'd be fantastic. Game good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

While I may have only recently learned how to even consistently spell cassiterite, I rather enjoy the attention to detail.

The three different types of iron ores makes me :kimchi: