Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

kazil posted:

No doubt the guy drinking all those shots is the biggest idiot, but drat that bartender is stupid as gently caress as well

In BC, Canada at least this would be enough to get the bartender fired and most likely sued as well.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think you're probably right. I bet it's regional though. I bet it is still in rotation in areas with a visible native presence. Small towns near the rez and whatnot.

My grandma was Cree and it was used against her in northern Alberta less than 40 years ago. Not by educated erudite people, but it was used. I'm visibly white so I've never gotten it, and I'm not close enough to my visibly Cree cousins to call them up and ask "hey what slurs are you getting these days?" LOL.
Holy poo poo, small world. I was about to chime in, and say it is still in common usage amongst the shitheads I grew up around. Coincidentally the same area where your kookum was harrassed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That $1000 he won didn't cover his medical bills or even the deductible lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I was laid up in the hospital some years back recovering from a real nasty bout of H1N1 and the guy in the bed across from mine was a dude my age who'd absolutely hosed up his liver binge drinking. I overheard the doctor literally say to him that if he had another drink, he would most likely die from it, his liver was that far gone. About two hours later, all his buddies came to visit him and he very loudly proclaimed to them "Yo, I'm getting discharged in three days. When I get outta here, we're gonna get blackout drunk!"

I assume he's dead now, but who knows. People like this never learn.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Addiction is real. Even alcohol. A lot of people with addiction would literally chose death over not doing whatever their addiction is. Hth.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Madkal posted:

In BC, Canada at least this would be enough to get the bartender fired and most likely sued as well.

It's straight up illegal in some states to serve alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk. Which is bullshit, I'll tell you when I've had enough David.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dialhforhero posted:

Addiction is real. Even alcohol. A lot of people with addiction would literally chose death over not doing whatever their addiction is. Hth.

Especially alcohol, it's one of the very few addictions where withdrawal alone can be fatal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Push El Burrito posted:

It's straight up illegal in some states to serve alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk. Which is bullshit, I'll tell you when I've had enough David.

Therein lies the absurdity of explicit legislation around alcohol. SmartServe (Ontario liquor sales license) training literally tells you it's illegal to serve someone into intoxication but what the hell have all these bars and clubs been doing for decades? There's tacit acknowledgement in the training and in the policies of any pub you've ever drank or worked at, that it's not so simple. I recently saw two guys order "a quick six (shots of tequila)" between them, and they basically sat there for another hour before the bartender would serve them anything else. Even that is technically over the line but manageable if you know the person or can monitor them easily.

There are of course situations where it's absolutely beyond the pale... like someone betting his buddies he can drink 50 shots of tequila. If I were bartending, it'd be "sure, I bet you can, but not here."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Someone needs to edit the "weird nerds defending musk online" meme with weird nerd throwing a child in to take the bullet for musk.

Isn't there a scene like that in The Dead Zone?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/StateOfLinkedIn/status/1557408236944367616

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is why walls and guns were invented.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dont know or have heard of hyper sphere, sounds like another bs coin poo poo or some other empty tech company that tries to do the VC buy out strat.

Also isnt 50ish shots about 50 fl oz, and about half a gallon of liquid? evem if it was just water/some other sort of soft drink thats a ton of liquid. Reminds me of previous nerd discussion about Futurama's 100 cups of coffee / caffeine's LD50 being higher than that volume of water by a decent amount.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Okay, perhaps I am the idiot here: I smoke and vape weed pretty frequently, but don't bother learning the science behind it.

Am I mistaken, or this literally just the same vape technology we've had for 5+ years? That just looks like a Volcano vape but with a glass cup instead of a plastic bag....

No this is technology that has existed since the 90's when Volcano vapes came out, except its a cup not a plastic bag you pass around. It's probably even older than that, and nothing about it is new or innovative except that it kinda looks like an oil lamp which is sorta neat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PhazonLink posted:

I dont know or have heard of hyper sphere, sounds like another bs coin poo poo or some other empty tech company that tries to do the VC buy out strat.

It's apparently a service that optimizes LinkedIn posts.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sounds dumb and parasitical.

please give me money for optimizing your SA posts or other internet stuff.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

PhazonLink posted:

Also isnt 50ish shots about 50 fl oz, and about half a gallon of liquid? evem if it was just water/some other sort of soft drink thats a ton of liquid.

This reminds me of 'Century Club', a drinking 'game' where you try to drink 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes. Never got to try that one, it does sound deceptively easy though so I imagine there's a bottleneck and I couldn't do it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This reminds me of 'Century Club', a drinking 'game' where you try to drink 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes. Never got to try that one, it does sound deceptively easy though so I imagine there's a bottleneck and I couldn't do it.

I did a power hour once at it'll gently caress you up good

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mister Speaker posted:

100 shots works out to 150 fl. oz., which is about half a case. It'll get you good and drunk but that's also just a lot of fluid in a short time.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

lol, i saw someone from my company who got laid off last week Liking this on linkedin

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Isn't there a scene like that in The Dead Zone?

Yep - the villain isn’t stopped until he uses a kid as a shield for a possible assassination attempt and loses so much face that he can’t continue his political career.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

100 shots works out to 150 fl. oz., which is about half a case. It'll get you good and drunk but that's also just a lot of fluid in a short time.

Yeah I think it's the short time that's really the killer you don't expect. I'm sure a lot of games have ended up with pissed pants.

Another thing someone once suggested "is impossible", is "two 24s in 48 hours." The second day might kill me, but if I can choose a beer that's cheap and low percentage (which virtually everything in a 24 is, compared to what I normally drink), and piss whenever and wherever I want, I think that's doable.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

It's funny that even if the Musk nerds are right and the car does somehow magically detect if the object in front of you has a soul, wouldn't you still want your car to break ahead of crashing into a child sized object in the road? What if it's a bollard or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I think it's the short time that's really the killer you don't expect. I'm sure a lot of games have ended up with pissed pants.

Another thing someone once suggested "is impossible", is "two 24s in 48 hours." The second day might kill me, but if I can choose a beer that's cheap and low percentage (which virtually everything in a 24 is, compared to what I normally drink), and piss whenever and wherever I want, I think that's doable.

for people who aren't canadian, a 24 (pronounced two-four) is a case of twenty-four bottles of beer (or cans, but cans are far less common). it's the common bulk size for crappy beer in canada.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That reminds me, I'll have to pick up some Labatt Blue next time I'm at BevMo.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When I (a norwegian) moved to Florida in 2011, me and another norwegian friend were invited to a party by some american coworkers/neighbors. We both showed up with a case of 24 cans of beer each and the guy at the door was like "woah you brought beer for the whole party, awesome!" And we were like "uuuhhh.. no?" Most of the drinkers there were on the "sharing a six pack and calling in sick for two days" level. Truly pathetic drinkers, the americans

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Biplane posted:

When I (a norwegian) moved to Florida in 2011, me and another norwegian friend were invited to a party by some american coworkers/neighbors. We both showed up with a case of 24 cans of beer each and the guy at the door was like "woah you brought beer for the whole party, awesome!" And we were like "uuuhhh.. no?" Most of the drinkers there were on the "sharing a six pack and calling in sick for two days" level. Truly pathetic drinkers, the americans
hey good for you there pal

proud of u

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cup of Hemlock posted:

loses so much face that he can’t continue his political career.

The most fantastical thing in King's entire repertoire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A newly-hired coworker was talking about doing 21 shots on her 21st, and I looked as appalled as I felt, and we were never on good terms after that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

i'm betting the alcohol by volume was WAY lower in those american beers than what you were used to, too

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The price difference going to the US from Norway must have been a huge shock, and kick to the liver.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
In Norway beers above 4.7 abv are only sold at special state stores. Budweisser, American king of beers, is 5 abv and more or less available everywhere by the case room temperature and cheap

I do not deny Biplanes account but those floridians were some huge pussies

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arivia posted:

for people who aren't canadian, a 24 (pronounced two-four) is a case of twenty-four bottles of beer (or cans, but cans are far less common). it's the common bulk size for crappy beer in canada.

We have cases in the US as well, they're the most common way to distribute bulk quality beer,ike budweiser etc. It's mostly all cans, and mostly under 5%. We call them cases to differentiate from 30 racks, which are typically PBR and the like. You can get a 30 rack of PBR for under 50 cents per can.
Full cases of bottles exist, but they're terribly heavy.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
I got talked into doing the 100 beers in 100 minutes thing about 20 years ago on a beach trip when we were just out of highschool. We used VB, a 4.9% beer that everyone knows is a cheap and terrible beer but there will still be other Australians screaming at me for that 'blasphemy'.

I remember I was the first to throw up at about the mid 60s mark, some other kid made it to 80 or so, one or two stopped at 100 and the last couple of kids there decided to just keep on going till they threw up (120 or so). Then everyone got spend the rest of the night throwing up over and over again. Would not recommend.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The Neal! posted:

I got talked into doing the 100 beers in 100 minutes thing about 20 years ago on a beach trip when we were just out of highschool. We used VB, a 4.9% beer that everyone knows is a cheap and terrible beer but there will still be other Australians screaming at me for that 'blasphemy'.

I remember I was the first to throw up at about the mid 60s mark, some other kid made it to 80 or so, one or two stopped at 100 and the last couple of kids there decided to just keep on going till they threw up (120 or so). Then everyone got spend the rest of the night throwing up over and over again. Would not recommend.

Sounds like you had a ripper schoolies. Though the VB suggests you weren't in Queensland.

As an ex-Victorian, VB is poo poo beer - true beer enjoyers drink Melbourne Bitter.

(Its also poo poo, but gently caress you.)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

2nd level spells posted:

In Norway beers above 4.7 abv are only sold at special state stores. Budweisser, American king of beers, is 5 abv and more or less available everywhere by the case room temperature and cheap

I do not deny Biplanes account but those floridians were some huge pussies

Yeah it was Bud, bought at a 7/11 at 9pm!!!!!!! Insanity.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Don't hang out with those guys again

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes thing was referred to as Centurions at my college. The one time I tried it I made it to 77 before hurling. In my defence I later found out that the shot glass I had chosen was in fact a 45 ml shot instead of a standard 30ml shot so I'm going to claim a technical victory, but I'm not sure pacing it out over the extra time would have helped.

The real fun thing my college did was something called of The Bachelor of Applied Drinking. 18 schooners (285ml) of beer within 4 hours. It needed to be on a pub crawl, so you had to visit at least four different venues. Two additional beers penalty every time you took a piss, four beer penalty every time you threw up.

You could also do The Bachelor of Applied Drinking with Honours, which was 18 pints of beer (452ml). Same penalties. You would occasionally get situation's like one year where a medical student fashioned an external catheter out of a condom and a length of tubing, so that he could wear it over his cock and run it down his pants leg, so that on the walk to the next pub he could sneakily take a piss in the parklands without paying a penalty.

Masters of applied drinking was double shots of 40%+ ABV spirits.. 18 of them, same penalties. A single attempt was made during the history of the college, and the person attempting it was hospitalised.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A newly-hired coworker was talking about doing 21 shots on her 21st, and I looked as appalled as I felt, and we were never on good terms after that.

If that's the NZ/Aus tradition then it's getting 21 shots in during your 21st birthday from morning until night, not all in a row or even all at one event

It's still a lot but it's a fairly manageable level of drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Somfin posted:

If that's the NZ/Aus tradition then it's getting 21 shots in during your 21st birthday from morning until night, not all in a row or even all at one event

It's still a lot but it's a fairly manageable level of drunk

The way I saw it done while at uni (in nz) was shots of some horrible mixed drink thing, so not straight spirit or liquer, but in a row as a “ladies” version of the yard glass. A lot of them involved midori and/or Malibu, which will forever both taste and smell like shrieking women en masse, to me. I wasn’t a drinker at 21 and I am so happy to have not been pressured into that bullshit. I did very expensive cocaine of dubious authenticity for my 21st.