Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bobstar posted:

I went from S2 to S7, but just kept throwing my watch on the old charger by my bed. Does the USB-C one that came with it charge the watch faster? If so, what wattage of charger can it make use of?
Yes it does. I think it maxes out with a 20W charger brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

Yes it does. I think it maxes out with a 20W charger brick.

Maybe this is why my watch charges so slow. I can’t figure out how people can throw their watch on the charger while they shower and the watch be good to go.

I just did it and mine only got 10% lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you need to have a long jerk off in the shower

the watch will get to charge longer and it will also ensure your abnormally high heart rate showers are kept off the record

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Has anyone replaced a watch band under warranty? My sport band on my S7 is falling apart. Do I need a Genius appointment at the store or whatever? Or can I just walk in? The Apple Support app doesn’t really have anything for watch bands and the support chat is being pretty slow and unhelpful so far about how I should deal with this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I replaced one. The band pulled out from the lugs on my solo loop. Had to make a Genius Bar appointment. They didn’t have my size in stock so they actually gave me a temporary one in a different style while they shipped the one I actually wanted. So I ended up with a free band.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fourwood posted:

Has anyone replaced a watch band under warranty? My sport band on my S7 is falling apart. Do I need a Genius appointment at the store or whatever? Or can I just walk in? The Apple Support app doesn’t really have anything for watch bands and the support chat is being pretty slow and unhelpful so far about how I should deal with this.

Can you be more specific?

Watch band warranty coverage is incredibly specific, and outside of very rare instances is unlikely to be covered.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I replaced one. The band pulled out from the lugs on my solo loop. Had to make a Genius Bar appointment. They didn’t have my size in stock so they actually gave me a temporary one in a different style while they shipped the one I actually wanted. So I ended up with a free band.
Just to ask the dumb question, how did you make the appointment? The Apple Support app seems to make me need to tell them what my problem is first, and it really only has options for the watch itself being broken.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Can you be more specific?

Watch band warranty coverage is incredibly specific, and outside of very rare instances is unlikely to be covered.
The material at the lugs is coming apart. It looks like this with just a little force applied downward on the strap. It sort of sticks out a little bit when worn as normal. This hasn’t happened on any other sport band so I’ll be pretty cranky if it’s not covered.
(Imgur giving me problems…)
https://imgur.com/a/AQHL0Ci

fourwood fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 9, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fourwood posted:

Just to ask the dumb question, how did you make the appointment? The Apple Support app seems to make me need to tell them what my problem is first, and it really only has options for the watch itself being broken.

The material at the lugs is coming apart. It looks like this with just a little force applied downward on the strap. It sort of sticks out a little bit when worn as normal. This hasn’t happened on any other sport band so I’ll be pretty cranky if it’s not covered.
(Imgur giving me problems…)
https://imgur.com/a/AQHL0Ci

^^^ That is literally exactly what happened to mine and they said it was covered by the warranty.

Ummm, I think I did the texting option through the support app, but then they told me to call in, so I called in, and they told me to go on the website and make a genius bar appointment. It was real dumb. So I'd just make an appointment on the website if you can. If you just select whatever has to do with the watch, they'll still be able to help you.

e: lol reminds me of when I first got my S6 with solo loop. The solo loop was too big, so I made an appointment and brought the band to my apple store to swap it for a smaller size, but they told me I had to bring the WHOLE watch and it's box in just to swap the band. So I had to go home, make an appointment for like 5 days later, then go back with absolutely everything that the watch came with. When I finally went in, they never bothered to even look at the watch itself or the packaging and just said "ok cool here's your new band" and I was off. It was also real dumb.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 9, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fourwood posted:

Not OP but In the past I've literally had to call in to support on some BS button mashing, then explain my situation to the rep and they were always more than happy to just book a time for me.

And by "always" I mean I've had to do it three times in the past 2 years, or however long it's been since they revamped their support portal to include the weird appointment gating criteria.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Ummm, I think I did the texting option through the support app, but then they told me to call in, so I called in, and they told me to go on the website and make a genius bar appointment. It was real dumb. So I'd just make an appointment on the website if you can. If you just select whatever has to do with the watch, they'll still be able to help you.
Hah, yeah, this is exactly the hell loop I’m in the middle of. The chat support claims to not be able to help me and someone is going to call me on the phone later today… ugh. Thanks, I’ll either keep headed down this road or maybe try to poke around online instead of in the app.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fourwood posted:

Hah, yeah, this is exactly the hell loop I’m in the middle of. The chat support claims to not be able to help me and someone is going to call me on the phone later today… ugh. Thanks, I’ll either keep headed down this road or maybe try to poke around online instead of in the app.

https://getsupport.apple.com

Make sure you sign in.

Type in watch screen damage as your issue. It will allow you to make an appointment.

I'd expect that issue to be covered.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

https://getsupport.apple.com

Make sure you sign in.

Type in watch screen damage as your issue. It will allow you to make an appointment.

I'd expect that issue to be covered.
Thanks, I went and did just this. My rule-following brain was resisting booking an appointment for a problem I don’t actually have, but it sounds better than speaking to a literal human on the phone so I have an appointment booked now.

I’m guessing I’m at the mercy of whatever colors are seasonal/in-stock now for the replacement?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fourwood posted:

Thanks, I went and did just this. My rule-following brain was resisting booking an appointment for a problem I don’t actually have, but it sounds better than speaking to a literal human on the phone so I have an appointment booked now.

I’m guessing I’m at the mercy of whatever colors are seasonal/in-stock now for the replacement?

They may be able to get the color you have. You’ll have to wait a week for them to order it regardless of what you get.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

They may be able to get the color you have. You’ll have to wait a week for them to order it regardless of what you get.
Ah, fair enough. I sort of imagined they’d just be like “sure go grab something off the rack” but ordering it is fine. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is what happened to me, so they told me "here's 5 bands, pick the one you like the most and you can just have it while you wait for the one you really want is shipped to you. No need to return it afterwards either."

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

This is what happened to me, so they told me "here's 5 bands, pick the one you like the most and you can just have it while you wait for the one you really want is shipped to you. No need to return it afterwards either."
Now you’re just getting my hopes up.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fourwood posted:

Now you’re just getting my hopes up.

Don't expect that. That is not going to happen.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I got a series 5 apple watch from a friend of mine cheaply mostly because I was interested in tracking some swimming workouts and turns out, this is one of the best things at doing that even among more specialized brands that do sport specific stuff. Nice bonus too that it does a million other things well and the integration with iphone and with everything is so much better than when I had a samsung active 2 with a samsung phone. I'm super impressed with how accurate the watch is at tracking different swimming strokes (this is the most impressive for me) and breaking it down by whatever distance you're doing. Maybe it's easier to program than I think it is, but i didn't think it was going to be this accurate. Shows my whole workout in the splits on whatever internal I was doing it on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using the big world clock complication? I presume it not updating properly here is due to me using WatchOS 9?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

I got a series 5 apple watch from a friend of mine cheaply mostly because I was interested in tracking some swimming workouts and turns out, this is one of the best things at doing that even among more specialized brands that do sport specific stuff. Nice bonus too that it does a million other things well and the integration with iphone and with everything is so much better than when I had a samsung active 2 with a samsung phone. I'm super impressed with how accurate the watch is at tracking different swimming strokes (this is the most impressive for me) and breaking it down by whatever distance you're doing. Maybe it's easier to program than I think it is, but i didn't think it was going to be this accurate. Shows my whole workout in the splits on whatever internal I was doing it on.

It's always hearing about user's experience with Apple products after using Android/Samsung. Is there anything you miss?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there a way to setup your watch via Family Setup but for yourself? Do you just need a second Apple ID and add it as a family member? I bought an Apple Watch w/ cellular, because I thought I could do this $10/month plan, but when I tried it wouldn't let me. As I am writing I remember it asked for an Apple ID, which is why I thought maybe I can trick it with a 2nd ID. But then, I assume, you wouldn't be able to use the Watch and Fitness apps on your iPhone?

My iPhone has my company's SIM card in it (and my company iPhone sits in the desk drawer), so I can't add a watch on there. I have a Google Fi account also, but it doesn't support Apple Watch anyway. I guess I could try Xfinity Mobile, but I assume after $15/line $10/watch + taxes it'd probably be like $40-50/month? I don't mind paying like $15-20/month for a watch, but since I don't really need a cell phone, anything more than that just seems like a waste of money.

Is my use case here too niche? It doesn't seem like it. :smith:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

It's always hearing about user's experience with Apple products after using Android/Samsung. Is there anything you miss?

I've been trying to think of anything, but no, Apple does literally every function better. I even prefer the crown navigation that I've heard people grumbling about over the invisible bezel on the Active 2.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

This happened.

This did not. :mad: TIM!!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Is there a way to setup your watch via Family Setup but for yourself? Do you just need a second Apple ID and add it as a family member? I bought an Apple Watch w/ cellular, because I thought I could do this $10/month plan, but when I tried it wouldn't let me. As I am writing I remember it asked for an Apple ID, which is why I thought maybe I can trick it with a 2nd ID. But then, I assume, you wouldn't be able to use the Watch and Fitness apps on your iPhone?

My iPhone has my company's SIM card in it (and my company iPhone sits in the desk drawer), so I can't add a watch on there. I have a Google Fi account also, but it doesn't support Apple Watch anyway. I guess I could try Xfinity Mobile, but I assume after $15/line $10/watch + taxes it'd probably be like $40-50/month? I don't mind paying like $15-20/month for a watch, but since I don't really need a cell phone, anything more than that just seems like a waste of money.

I don't understand what is it you want to do.

What phone do you want to pair the watch with and why?

What do you want to use the watch for?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

An Apple Watch requires that it be paired with an iPhone during initial setup. You can then turn the iPhone off and use the Watch independently, but the initial setup requires being paired with a single iPhone.

The $10 Watch cell plan is an add-on to the paired phone’s cell phone plan. So for example it would be $50 a month ATT plan for the cell phone and then +$10 a month for the iPhone cell plan for a total of $60 a month. The Watch cell plan requires a paired iPhone to have a cell plan already.

Some day the Watch may be a completely independent device, but right now it requires a paired iPhone to setup and operate.

Edit: You can use family setup, but it still requires being paired to a iPhone with a cell plan:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Violator fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

An Apple Watch requires that it be paired with an iPhone during initial setup. You can then turn the iPhone off and use the Watch independently, but the initial setup requires being paired with a single iPhone.

The $10 Watch cell plan is an add-on to the paired phone’s cell phone plan. So for example it would be $50 a month ATT plan for the cell phone and then +$10 a month for the iPhone cell plan for a total of $60 a month. The Watch cell plan requires a paired iPhone to have a cell plan already.

Some day the Watch may be a completely independent device, but right now it requires a paired iPhone to setup and operate.

This is actually not quite correct now. You can do an Apple Watch with its own number and setup. IMO, a watch really doesn’t function 100% independently from a phone, so I don’t think it would be us set friendly except as a kid’s watch, which is why that’s how apple markets it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a watch app that shows realtime map and does GPS/directions/etc? I'm thinking of something like Waze, only on a watch.

Thinking of how to repurpose my watch once I get a new one, and honestly mounting it on my bike as a tiny, unobtrusive GPS would be pretty rad.

I imagine not, since that is such a niche application and would destroy battery life under normal circumstances when a watch isn't tethered to a power source, but I figured I'd ask.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This is actually not quite correct now. You can do an Apple Watch with its own number and setup. IMO, a watch really doesn’t function 100% independently from a phone, so I don’t think it would be us set friendly except as a kid’s watch, which is why that’s how apple markets it.

You can not make and receive calls from the number associated with the data plan for a cellular watch.

Phone calls to the number associated with the iPhone the apple watch is paired with will only be received by the watch if the phone itself is on and connected to the Carrier. The way it works is the phone hands off the call as data to the watch.

Tmo has some weird thing is says will route calls, but it doesn’t really work and tend to cause more problems then good.

What you can do is make FaceTime audio calls with a family plan watch using an independent Apple ID. That’s how it’s marketed as a kid watch, because using FaceTime audio you can call parents or family members that have access to FaceTime.

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there a watch app that shows realtime map and does GPS/directions/etc? I'm thinking of something like Waze, only on a watch.

Thinking of how to repurpose my watch once I get a new one, and honestly mounting it on my bike as a tiny, unobtrusive GPS would be pretty rad.

I imagine not, since that is such a niche application and would destroy battery life under normal circumstances when a watch isn't tethered to a power source, but I figured I'd ask.

You would need a cellular watch with an active plan, and battery life would likely be 2-3 hours max. You could probably mount a power puck with a small portable charger but I doubt all this is worth $5-$10 a month in cellular fees.

It would also need to be not pass-coded as wrist detection would lock it constantly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't understand what is it you want to do.

What phone do you want to pair the watch with and why?

What do you want to use the watch for?

This basically

Violator posted:

Edit: You can use family setup, but it still requires being paired to a iPhone with a cell plan:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

If you look at Truphone's how-to and plan pages, it seems like you can setup your watch "in family mode" and select a stand-alone $10/month plan from them. It they don't actually offer traditional cell phone plans but instead data roaming plans for travel.

I just installed Truphone's app, installed an eSIM, then I tried to setup cellular again. Now I get the error message "Truphone does not support Apple Watch," presumably because it's not setup in family mode, because it's for myself.

I can probably add myself as a family member via a second Apple ID, but I wonder if that will cause additional problems, specifically with the health and fitness apps/tracking integrating with my phone (the one under my "actual" Apple ID), which is the primary reason I bought the watch in the first place.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

This basically

If you look at Truphone's how-to and plan pages, it seems like you can setup your watch "in family mode" and select a stand-alone $10/month plan from them. It they don't actually offer traditional cell phone plans but instead data roaming plans for travel.

I just installed Truphone's app, installed an eSIM, then I tried to setup cellular again. Now I get the error message "Truphone does not support Apple Watch," presumably because it's not setup in family mode, because it's for myself.

I can probably add myself as a family member via a second Apple ID, but I wonder if that will cause additional problems, specifically with the health and fitness apps/tracking integrating with my phone (the one under my "actual" Apple ID), which is the primary reason I bought the watch in the first place.

Why don’t you want to set it as a primary device for your phone? For fitness and health tracking, you will not get any unless it’s the primary watch for your iPhone.

I’m unfamiliar with truphone, so I can’t help in that regard.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

You need a Iphone to set up the watch but after that, you do not need an iPhone to really do anything if you are using family set up.

We set up my daughters with apple watches last January. We used my wife’s phone to set them up but she never gets any calls or texts through them. My daughters can make calls and send texts without needing her phone at all. Unless you go into the watch app on my wife’s phone, you would have no clue that those watches are connected to her set up (since then, she has added her own watch to the app and it works exactly how my watch does with my phone).

Best thing to happen for parents who want to be able to contact their kids without having to deal with the BS of them having a full fledged phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You need a Iphone to set up the watch but after that, you do not need an iPhone to really do anything if you are using family set up.

We set up my daughters with apple watches last January. We used my wife’s phone to set them up but she never gets any calls or texts through them. My daughters can make calls and send texts without needing her phone at all. Unless you go into the watch app on my wife’s phone, you would have no clue that those watches are connected to her set up (since then, she has added her own watch to the app and it works exactly how my watch does with my phone).

Best thing to happen for parents who want to be able to contact their kids without having to deal with the BS of them having a full fledged phone.

I believe the problem here is the goon is trying to setup the watch on a different provider/phone plan than the one their phone is on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why don’t you want to set it as a primary device for your phone? For fitness and health tracking, you will not get any unless it’s the primary watch for your iPhone.

I’m unfamiliar with truphone, so I can’t help in that regard.

I use my company’s SIM card for my phone. They’re not going to add a watch.

I have a Google Fi SIM, but they don’t support Apple Watch.

I was hoping Truphone would be my option, but seems like it won’t work without being in family setup, which is too bad!

I think Xfinity may be my only option here that is relatively affordable. I’m probably not doing any intentional traveling any time soon, which is the major benefit of Google Fi (and also I can apparently use Truphone for this instead if I do!).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I use my company’s SIM card for my phone. They’re not going to add a watch.

I have a Google Fi SIM, but they don’t support Apple Watch.

I was hoping Truphone would be my option, but seems like it won’t work without being in family setup, which is too bad!

I think Xfinity may be my only option here that is relatively affordable. I’m probably not doing any intentional traveling any time soon, which is the major benefit of Google Fi (and also I can apparently use Truphone for this instead if I do!).

Why in particular do you want cell connectivity? Maybe you don't need it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I probably don’t need it, but if I could have it for $10/month then I would. :shobon:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I probably don’t need it, but if I could have it for $10/month then I would. :shobon:

Cellular connectivity for the watch is for incredibly specific use. The only time it is useful is when you are more than 30ft from your phone AND not connected to wifi AND the phone is still on and connected to the cellular network.

When the phone is not connected (off, dead, etc) The exception to this is Facetime audio calls, apple music/Spotify, iMessages, and a couple of other small things.

It's only really useful if you like to leave your phone at home for runs or beach poo poo or in a locker or something in a giant place with no wifi.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That leads me to my next question!! I take my motorcycle to the track. There a few different iPhone apps that will give you stats on your lap time, lean angle, etc. Some apps have Watch companion app. If I have a watch, without cellular, and my phone is sitting in the paddock 1.5 miles away, what on the watch will work? Does it have all the same accelerometers as the phone, or they work in tandem? I don't really like having my phone stuffed into my suit, and I also don't want it on the bike in case something goes wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

You can not make and receive calls from the number associated with the data plan for a cellular watch.

Phone calls to the number associated with the iPhone the apple watch is paired with will only be received by the watch if the phone itself is on and connected to the Carrier. The way it works is the phone hands off the call as data to the watch.

This is wrong. As another poster here noted, you just need the phone for the initial setup.

Mileage varies on the Carrier yes, but all 3 major carriers for sure do stand alone on postpaid plans.

I activate watches as part of my job. When a watch is activated, there’s a toggle , and I basically just tell it either “share number with number 5555” or “standalone service.” It then provisions accordingly after terms of service are accepted, etc.

I used a watch with number share for 2 days while waiting for my new phone to come in. Battery life is fine, it’ll get through the day on cellular.

Now, is a stand alone watch with its own number that does not share with a phone useful? Not really, it’s too small a screen , you need Bluetooth headphones if you don’t want to be on speaker, texting is a pain, etc. that’s why it’s almost exclusively advertised and recommended in that fashion as for a kids watch.

Finally: yes, having a watch on a different carrier than your phone both means number share won’t work, and it just won’t be a great experience and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Also. This:

Cellular connectivity for the watch is for incredibly specific use. The only time it is useful is when you are more than 30ft from your phone AND not connected to wifi AND the phone is still on and connected to the cellular network.

When the phone is not connected (off, dead, etc) The exception to this is Facetime audio calls, apple music/Spotify, iMessages, and a couple of other small things.

It's only really useful if you like to leave your phone at home for runs or beach poo poo or in a locker or something in a giant place with no wifi.

It’s mostly good for runners who don’t take their phones with them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep in mind that it’s $10 + whatever bullshit fees your carrier wants to arbitrarily charge you. On ATT, my “$10” plan is actually $15. Administrative fee, my rear end.

That said, I run without my phone, so I love having cellular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Keep in mind that it’s $10 + whatever bullshit fees your carrier wants to arbitrarily charge you. On ATT, my “$10” plan is actually $15. Administrative fee, my rear end.

That said, I run without my phone, so I love having cellular.

yeah, this was the dealbreaker for me. i wanted one for running without a phone and it’s not just an extra $10/mo, it’s more like an extra $50/mo if you’re on prepaid because you can’t add it onto prepaid lines (in the US), you need one of the premium postpaid plans.

i think there was one prepaid verizon reseller that had a cheaper option, but still about double what i pay now and you’d have to use the worst mvno network too.