Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

The most evil people seem to age very early but then stay that way forever and refuse to die

Patrick Stewart doesn't seem that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm sorry Henry Kissinger hosed you :(

thank you for your condolences

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Not everyone prematurely old is evil but a lot of evil people are prematurely old

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tiggum posted:

You clearly haven't watched Star Trek: Picard then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Not everyone prematurely old is evil but a lot of evil people are prematurely old

I remember my barber telling me: "yeah nah if you weren't balding by 30, you'll never go bald" and I just said: "Ma'm I'm 23."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Male pattern baldness is a dumb X chromosome thing so look to your maternal grandfather for your best preview of the future

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Male pattern baldness is a dumb X chromosome thing so look to your maternal grandfather for your best preview of the future

I have no idea what he looked like. e: I think he owned a yellow soft cap.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Those e-mails where Sidney Blumenthal informed her U.S. allies were genociding black towns wholesale in Libya, right? I assume that was too long to put on a hat.

Tiggum posted:

Somebody hasn't watched Picard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Those e-mails where Sidney Blumenthal informed her U.S. allies were genociding black towns wholesale in Libya, right? I assume that was too long to put on a hat.

There has been no point in either of our lifetimes where U.S. allies haven't been publicly known to be genociding people wholesale all over the planet. The American voter really doesn't care about such things.

She lost for other reasons lmao.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Male balding is also a sign of high testosterone so turn that into a motivation to get ripped since you have the genes for it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There has been no point in either of our lifetimes where U.S. allies haven't been publicly known to be genociding people wholesale all over the planet. The American voter really doesn't care about such things.

She lost for other reasons lmao.

Well obviously, I just think each mention of that catchphrase should be appended with the fact they proved her personal complicity in genocide.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Well obviously, I just think each mention of that catchphrase should be appended with the fact they proved her personal complicity in genocide.

Who cares, the emails everyone wants are the ones that show where she's been hiding Ben Ghazi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Who cares, the emails everyone wants are the ones that show where she's been hiding Ben Ghazi

She had Caro killed to hide that info.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

he’s hiding out with Ben Dover

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His real name is Obi-Wan Ghazi.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

matthew modine in stranger things, sweet!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My gampy had one heck of a widow's peak but at least the top of his head was fine all the way until he died at the ripe ol' age of 88 so I guess I can deal with that

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

boar guy posted:

matthew modine in stranger things, sweet!

You can't prove anything.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Bloop posted:

The most evil people seem to age very early but then stay that way forever and refuse to die

They all do the Palpatine lightning thing

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ranjanxroy/status/1557338913181782019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/NewDiscourses/status/1557403903058014208?t=5qnJv9WGIZCoTQ00pLlJKQ&s=19
"Um actually it is the pro slavery people that were anticapitalists because the people who liked slavery said that capitalism was bad, and the people who said capitalism was good said slavery was bad. Checkmate, Marxists :smug:"

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Male balding is also a sign of high testosterone so turn that into a motivation to get ripped since you have the genes for it.

i went bald when i was 18 but i decided to get fat instead

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/NewDiscourses/status/1557403903058014208?t=5qnJv9WGIZCoTQ00pLlJKQ&s=19
"Um actually it is the pro slavery people that were anticapitalists because the people who liked slavery said that capitalism was bad, and the people who said capitalism was good said slavery was bad. Checkmate, Marxists :smug:"

of course they were opposed to capitalism, they endorsed serfdom. they weren't called "The Southern Aristocracy" for nothin

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

of course they were opposed to capitalism, they endorsed serfdom. they weren't called "The Southern Aristocracy" for nothin

the american slavers who felt that liberalism should be accomplished by means of a slave race had a fight over doctrine with the american and european nonslavers who felt that liberalism should be accomplished by means of a slave caste of the poor (whose children were stolen from them from infancy and sent to work, were given no education, and could be killed by their masters with it only assessed as a property crime not at all dissimilarly) instead

it had nothing to do with differing opinions about capitalism, just differing opinions about how to go about the eugenicist ideals of the liberal project

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

good ol’ John C. Calhoun, the Marx of the master class

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Proust Malone posted:

good ol’ John C. Calhoun, the Marx of the master class

he certainly could give a class on being a master im sure

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
definitely not saying anything negative about the abolitionists who by and large were not liberals

the shame is not that the southern aristocratic sandcastle was kicked over but that it didn't loving stay buried and that the rest of the liberal project wasn't burned to ashes and scattered into the sea

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

he certainly could give a class on being a master im sure

he certainly had no illusions about “free” labor being free under capitalism

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

atelier morgan posted:

the american slavers who felt that liberalism should be accomplished by means of a slave race had a fight over doctrine with the american and european nonslavers who felt that liberalism should be accomplished by means of a slave caste of the poor (whose children were stolen from them from infancy and sent to work, were given no education, and could be killed by their masters with it only assessed as a property crime not at all dissimilarly) instead

it had nothing to do with differing opinions about capitalism, just differing opinions about how to go about the eugenicist ideals of the liberal project

Marx very clearly delineated slavery as a precapitalist exploitive social structure that class struggle eventually overturned into feudalism(which was itself often overturned into capitalism).

In that framing, The capitalists being anti-slavery makes sense because they were liberals benefiting from the struggles of the past, thus seeing it as a moral inevitability, and the slavers being anti capitalism is obvious.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Slavers loving despised Marx lol, but I mean so did a whole lot of the anti-slavery people, just for nominally different reasons. He was pen pals with Lincoln and wrote in the New York Tribune about it and the ACW. The NYT owes its existence now to Marx because he made some rich guy so mad he dumped a bunch of money into it to elevate it as a pro-capitalism alternative

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

"build a progressive bench" is rich coming from the lady who cleared the field for herself because it was HER TURN.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what even is capitalism these days

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Marx very clearly delineated slavery as a precapitalist exploitive social structure that class struggle eventually overturned into feudalism(which was itself often overturned into capitalism).

In that framing, The capitalists being anti-slavery makes sense because they were liberals benefiting from the struggles of the past, thus seeing it as a moral inevitability, and the slavers being anti capitalism is obvious.

the slavery of the ancient world and the slavery of the antebellum south were very different structures and the latter most certainly did not predate feudalism

but most importantly the liberals were not benefiting from anything because both sides of this argument were liberals

calhoun was just as much heir to locke as any of his contemporaries

e: there were plenty of people who opposed southern slavery because it was a loving blight on humanity, but also it was an intra-liberal struggle

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Aug 11, 2022

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

ArmZ posted:

what even is capitalism these days

a miserable little pile of secrets…

but enough talk!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
not trying to argue but I think you could probably find chattel slavery similar to the american south in the past but you're not wrong that its certainly a distinct "type" of slavery

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

not trying to argue but I think you could probably find chattel slavery similar to the american south in the past but you're not wrong that its certainly a distinct "type" of slavery

yeah definitely, just slavery as the social structure and mode of production in europe that was replaced by serfdom, feudalism, manorialism etc, was not equivalent to slavery in 19th century america

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

atelier morgan posted:

the slavery of the ancient world and the slavery of the antebellum south were very different structures and the latter most certainly did not predate feudalism

but most importantly the liberals were not benefiting from anything because both sides of this argument were liberals

calhoun was just as much heir to locke as any of his contemporaries

e: there were plenty of people who opposed southern slavery because it was a loving blight on humanity, but also it was an intra-liberal struggle

I don't think anyone who thinks keeping people in bondage is okay really meets the genuine definition of liberal.

Like, you can see the similarities between dough face pieces of poo poo and today's democratic party, but that doesn't make them liberal.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I don't think anyone who thinks keeping people in bondage is okay really meets the genuine definition of liberal.

You don’t think Joe Biden meets the definition of a liberal?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Like, you can see the similarities between dough face pieces of poo poo and today's democratic party, but that doesn't make them liberal.

prepped this one in the chamber expecting a response like this; from Losurdo's Liberalism: A Counter-History

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
and to declare further, the principle of liberalism is that the cruelty is the point