Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I was using big stubby picks because I originally bought them for bass. But Bernth said smaller picks are better for faster playing so I tried to buy Jazz IIIs but the guitar store doesn't have them. I got Ernie Ball Prodigy picks instead and they're about the same size as the stubby, but I can hold it anywhere. The stubby has like, an indent for your thumb and also would start to rotate around in my hand because of that. I'm pretty happy with the Prodigies for now, even if they didn't make me instantly 50bpm faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

so no one found out for sure what the powder is on the gator grip? i'm okay with it being a carcinogen

It’s asbestos OP

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I use a lot of picks.

No I don't think you understand

Top row: Wegen, Dugain, Blue Chip, Red Bear

2nd row: mass produced (various, big fan of Dunlop's thicker picks though, vinyl big stubby and their 4.2mm Flow being real faves), Surfpicks (custom ones, no longer available as he ran out of big lignum vitae, can't trade those outside the U.S.)

3rd row: V-Picks, baby, the ones on the far right of that are all the current iteration of my "signature" pick Vinni and I came up with.

4th row: More V-picks (I love V-Picks), then old Winspears (different from the current ones) and a Honey pick that I think is cool.

The big compartment on the far right is all Hufschmid picks, mainly Drop-style, bunch of them custom and often weird materials that usually only show up in space ships or reactors or submarine bearings or whatever. :shrug: Looks like a Dunlop Ultex snuck in to hang out w/ the cool kids too.

Fun time in my life when I used to collect shitloads of picks, pals, you know I love 'em all and have no trouble playing with any of them, or any other pick I've ever found, at this point. Picks own :krad:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 11, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh you must be the guy that keeps patrick in business lol

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Not anymore, I last bought a Hufschmid in 2013 if memory serves (but memory from that era is trrrrouble). At one time I think we were friends, I remember talking a bunch on Skype vaguely, but - it was right as my spine troubles were coming to a head, massive pain and disability of that time plus all the meds that zombified me and cost me my career at Wampler and everything else, lead me down the road of having to sell off about 95% of my music gear under real pressure... It was rough, I sort of just disappeared into sleep and pain for a while.

There were a few connections from that time that are lost in the mist, that's one of them - I can't even remember if there was some kind of falling out, or if it's just I vanished and that bothered some folks who I'd been closer to, I really don't know. They had me on so much oxy, hydro, xanax and valium back then... It's all just a haze in my mind. I started existing again in late 2014 when I got off all that poo poo, but to dance to the music you've got to pay the piper, I'm just glad I made it I guess. I still wish Patrick well, hope his business is doing great these days - he was very accommodating of my requests back then and I love some of those picks.

Vinni from V-Picks is one of the only gear industry guys I've kept in good touch with since the old days. He's a really good dude and I use V-Picks a great deal when recording.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh I think Patrick does great work, but there's definitely a reason he gets banned from every forum he posts on

I'd love to have one of his guitars but the things I want in a guitar would make him murder me lol

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hah, I have no memory of any controversies, I will take your word for it though, I'm like a Bush-era politician in Congress, I can't recall :lol:

In actual guitar chat, speaking of, I'm getting an Agile Septor 827 from their summer sale. Never had anything more than a 6 string, prepared to get it professionally set up and considering what pickups I might want in it because the idea of an 8 string is really appealing for doing some stuff I want to do with a looper these days. I'm getting really into that, got a Boss RC-300 (yeah, not the newest tech, but it does shitloads more than my previous EHX 720 or the loop on my Grand Canyon; I'll upgrade if I ever make money looping I guess but this is fuckin' cool to me for now!) and the idea of being able to do some low string stuff to help fill in the frequencies without having to, like, pitch shift my guitar or plug a bass in also is an idea I'm really intrigued by.

I'm also having my guy install EMG 85/81 set in my SGj, should be ready tomorrow, really excited for that. The stock Zebra '61 PAFs were actually not bad, but not a good fit for the tuning I want it in and not ideal for the kind of sounds I like to make honestly. I never got into actives before I got this Wylde Odin for a real good deal at my favorite smaller music store in town recently but I am super digging them now.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
being in the same room as a guitar with a nitro finish is probably more cancer-inducing than doing lines of talc, nothing about this hobby is good for your body or wallet.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Who wants to join my new band Lumpy's Pick Lickin' Talc Snorters?

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

creamcorn posted:

being in the same room as a guitar with a nitro finish is probably more cancer-inducing than doing lines of talc, nothing about this hobby is good for your body or wallet.

Pfft, please. I build guitars with tons of incarcinogens and I haven't gone to prison once.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Sitting here trying to go through these exercises in Gustavo Assis-Brasil's Hybrid Picking book. I'm on page two and I already want to blow my brains out. Its like I've never held a guitar before in my entire life. I guess that's what I get for neglecting the fingers on my right hand for the last couple decades. This is going to be a loooong process lmfao.

Agreed posted:

In actual guitar chat, speaking of, I'm getting an Agile Septor 827 from their summer sale. Never had anything more than a 6 string, prepared to get it professionally set up and considering what pickups I might want in it because the idea of an 8 string is really appealing for doing some stuff I want to do with a looper these days.

I keep eyeballing an Agile 8 string thats been up on craigslist for a while. I have no reason to get it except its got so many strings and it goes chugga chugga bwow. When you get yours please cover the Doom soundtrack and post it here tia

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The white dust is just leftover lucky charms marshmello dust.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

its called "tone powder" among those of us in the know. the stock dunlop dust isn't bad for beginners but if you're serious about your playing you should clean and re-dust with a mix of magnetized corn starch and the grit off a 200+ sheet of sandpaper (removed from the paper, obviously)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

guess i never mentioned that i got fired from my job at the pick factory for eating a bunch of powdered doughnuts and not wiping my hands before touching all the picks.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You should’ve been paid millions. Just like I should have for farting on the drum stools at Guitar Center.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Shiiiit next week is gonna be cool, got a Toneczar Openhaus and a Toneczar OTP Fuzz coming and that 8-string. I will chug until I riff and then riff until I chug some more. I will also weedle-weedle at times. :holy:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Agreed posted:

Shiiiit next week is gonna be cool, got a Toneczar Openhaus and a Toneczar OTP Fuzz coming and that 8-string. I will chug until I riff and then riff until I chug some more. I will also weedle-weedle at times. :holy:

contragulations on your million dollar pedals

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Oh thanks

If you knew my journey from having two Toneczars after doing, fuckin', 3-4 year waits starting in 2009, to not having jack poo poo, to the long road back to a place where I can get some today... Anyway I'm happy.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 12, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...500000257004.gc

This Fender Player HSS Strat is on sale at Guitar Center for the month of August. Not gonna lie, the blue and orange sunburst finishes are pretty hot. My local GC has the blue one in stock and it looks sick.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Anyone looking for a super-duper deal on a Classic Vibe Squier?

https://www.pawnamerica.com/Product/Fender_Squire_Stratocaster_Electric_Guitar_Red_White_23123017368

Candy Apple Red Classic Vibe 60's Strat, looks to be pretty good shape, with a bag, for $160 and should be free shipping. I'd buy it myself but would just end up flipping it, so I figure I should share some of my deal finding luck. The only thing I would be leery about is the sticker on the back of the headstock over the original serial number. That means refurbished/returned, but beyond that who knows if there was a serious issue or just a paint chip they touched up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Manlove got demodded and posted up in the guitar thread because he can’t afford therapy. He’s so annoying I stopped checking the thread but I thought I’d check back today and he is still taking steaming turds with every post. Anyways I’ll check next year.

lmao

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I know it's just a cheap knock off guitar but man I am really loving my firefly lp. I like that it's big and heavy and has a thick neck and it's fun to play. And also it's blue. The blue was the main reason I bought it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 12, 2022

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...500000257004.gc

This Fender Player HSS Strat is on sale at Guitar Center for the month of August. Not gonna lie, the blue and orange sunburst finishes are pretty hot. My local GC has the blue one in stock and it looks sick.

I bought one of these a few years ago and it rocks. Stock bridge humbucker is kind of lame so I put a GF 'Tron in there for now.

User Error fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 12, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

User Error posted:

I bought one of these a few years ago and it rocks. Stock bridge humbucker is kind of lame so I put a GF 'Tron in there for now.

Sick finish, did the 'Tron just fit there or is that a replacement pickguard for it?

Also are you in the UK or do they just put the UKCA logo on anything now? I don't know why but I first noticed it on a guitar box.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O, that is pretty.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

have turned around on this "humbucker in series" thing. have been able to get some good sounds of it, like heading into a chorus where i want the rhythm wall to be thicker, or for leads. so that's fun

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm getting a little senile in my old age and unsure if this was something I made up or heard before, but it's a common thing that guitars with trems will feed back a lot easier than hardtail guitars at high volumes/gains?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The springs can vibrate and cause sympathetic overtones if the volume levels get loud enough.
Some people shove some foam in the cavity to dampen it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I've been playing at really high volumes a lot more lately (with ear protection) so that's been popping up sometimes. It's generally not been an issue but I'll shove foam in there if it becomes one. Thanks

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Don't forget the strings above the nut. Even locking trems can make noise there, my Warrior does it all the time. All though I'm not sure if it's an issue under loud amplification, I always hear it acoustically.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm getting a little senile in my old age and unsure if this was something I made up or heard before, but it's a common thing that guitars with trems will feed back a lot easier than hardtail guitars at high volumes/gains?

yeah i get more feedback and harmonics out of this strat than i did the telecaster. not sure if a bucker feeds back easier?

anyway some reverse GAS:

i love having a humbucker so much. i kinda wish i could go back in time to when i was trying to decide on my first guitar, so i could be like, "get one with a humbucker, they're sick".

i can play four or five note chords with some gain and everything comes through, it's so lovely!!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sick finish, did the 'Tron just fit there or is that a replacement pickguard for it?

Also are you in the UK or do they just put the UKCA logo on anything now? I don't know why but I first noticed it on a guitar box.

It fit right in with an adapter plate. Not in UK.

I need a beefy dual humbucker guitar. I kinda miss my Agile 3000 but it had the slim neck which I didnt really like. Time to check marketplace every day for something I dont actually intend to buy any time soon.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

User Error posted:

It fit right in with an adapter plate. Not in UK.

I need a beefy dual humbucker guitar. I kinda miss my Agile 3000 but it had the slim neck which I didnt really like. Time to check marketplace every day for something I dont actually intend to buy any time soon.

Get a Joe Duplantier! https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JoeDSD2HHSW--charvel-joe-duplantier-san-dimas-style-2-hh-satin-white

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah it's the springs. Grab some 3/16" outer diameter silicone tubing and snip it to length and place them inside the springs. Better than foam or other poo poo because it doesn't shed, get torn up, or mess with your trem returning to zero. It's the best answer out there and, yeah. I bought one length of it and did every trem in the collection, night and day difference. The new white JEM was howling at volume, this fixed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnAbPrmJNA&t=43s

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 12, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah it's the springs. Grab some 1/8" outer diameter silicone tubing and snip it to length and place them inside the springs. Better than foam or other poo poo because it doesn't shed, get torn up, or mess with your trem returning to zero. It's the best answer out there and, yeah. I bought one length of it and did every trem in the collection, night and day difference. The new white JEM was howling at volume, this fixed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnAbPrmJNA&t=43s

Oooooo this is a really neat tip. Thanks dude.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

User Error posted:

Time to check marketplace every day for something I dont actually intend to buy any time soon.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Sick, but i don't know if it's beefy enough. Looks like it has a real thin neck too.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Has anyone here ever played a Godin nylon string? I've been looking at this one but couldn't find any local to try out, how is the tone compared to an acoustic-electric? Wondering if this would be ideal for both studio and live performances, it sounds like it's perfect for the latter.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ACSNSAExKHG--godin-acs-nylon-sa-extreme-koa-hg-natural

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I took a punt and bought a second hand les paul junior over the net without playing it and holy shitballs it's just about the best thing I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

high five, post pictures of the new axe.