Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RCarr posted:

I watched Attack the Block just now and it was pretty bad…

wtf rcarr

from mcmagic, whatever but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

yoohoo posted:

After Hours isn’t quite what I’m looking for. I guess I probably didn’t need the “less emphasis on horror” amendment, I just meant that I’m not looking for pure horror movies. Sci-fi horror, action horror, something horror adjacent, in an urban setting. Like it’s not a haunted house or a setting where the characters are secluded and alone - the idea of a community having to deal with a crisis if some kind, be it supernatural, an otherworldly entity, government shenanigans etc is more what I’m thinking.

Coherence is a nice piece of low budget SF set in surburbia. One of those stories that sets up a simple idea and then let's the implications rip. Horror adjacent but it's in the ballpark

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I can second Coherence. Fun lil movie. I'd call it like, creepy sci-fi, set in suburbia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yoohoo posted:

After Hours isn’t quite what I’m looking for. I guess I probably didn’t need the “less emphasis on horror” amendment, I just meant that I’m not looking for pure horror movies. Sci-fi horror, action horror, something horror adjacent, in an urban setting. Like it’s not a haunted house or a setting where the characters are secluded and alone - the idea of a community having to deal with a crisis if some kind, be it supernatural, an otherworldly entity, government shenanigans etc is more what I’m thinking.

Dredd

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I was pretty disappointed by Vampires vs. the Bronx but I think it fits that theme well and idk maybe some people were way more into it

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

yoohoo posted:

Miracle Mile deals with an impending nuclear strike during the twilight hours in Downtown LA. It has an amazing vibe to it, one of my all time favs

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Adding on to the "The Bear is excellent" pile. Binged it in one night.
https://twitter.com/doomkulthum/status/1556843298333118467

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

yoohoo posted:

feedmyleg posted:

The Hidden.

e: Dark Angel, Split Second, Maniac Cop 2 (and the rest of the series, but especially 2).

I second The Hidden, it's an action/sci-fi movie with a body horror aspect that is criminally underrated.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

thatfuturekid posted:

Miracle Mile deals with an impending nuclear strike during the twilight hours in Downtown LA. It has an amazing vibe to it, one of my all time favs

Miracle Mile is amazing, saw it for the first time earlier this year.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I forgot how bad omen 2 was and last time I saw it was pan and scan vhs

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Upsidads posted:

It certainly has an ending.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Upsidads posted:

tbh I feel like it might work better with VHS scanlines

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah, and a future funk sound track!

I think I skipped 2, I've definitely seen 3 pretty sure the one where he's the president or whatever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah, and a future funk sound track!

great excuse for me to post a Safdie Brothers video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKPkxfljBY

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Upsidads posted:

The theme rules though.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Cool, thanks for the replies. I've seen a good number of those, The Mist most recently. I think that probably embodies what I'm after the most, but I'll check em all out.

Obligatory Dredd owns.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hulu/disney plus/disney bundle prices are going up

and everyone is losing gobs of money on streaming

https://twitter.com/sherman4949/status/1557459964565782534

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

glad I got my plex server running this week :twisted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah as if I'm gonna stick with any of that poo poo with prices goin up. good luck. barely anything on Disney+ that interests me (now that I finally saw Tron Legacy...but it just made me wanna see it in theaters...) other than watching classic Simpsons, and Hulu is just good for a free trial every year lol. only poo poo I'd really pay for would be the Criterion Channel, maybe HBOMax if they weren't so intent on destroying it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have kids so D+ is by a wide margin the best value streaming service for us, but if it was just Simpsons and marvel garbage I'd probably drop it too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
oh yeah of course, for families with kids I imagine it's the premier service for sure.

followed by Arrow Player :twisted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I made this a couple years ago as you could tell

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

hulu/disney plus/disney bundle prices are going up

and everyone is losing gobs of money on streaming

https://twitter.com/sherman4949/status/1557459964565782534
It's pretty funny when you think about how originally netflix succeeded in streaming because it was the only streaming service and it was still able to license a huge catalog of content for dirt cheap, and somehow that resulted in a situation where now 10 different companies are competing with each other for users by producing as many absurdly expensive shows as possible but because the subscription fees are getting so high, everyone is sharing accounts, switching services every month, or going back to piracy so all the services are probably just going to start hemorrhaging users forever now

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 11, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think I'm dropping all the big services. Just gonna keep the niche ones. Shudder is good in my book, and very cheap. Paramount+ now gives me good Stars Trek and therefore it can stay (while LDS and SNW are airing). Might pick up that MST3K one once I drop Netflix. Otherwise ShoutFactoryTV and Tubi get way more play than HBO and Netflix and Hulu in my house these days.

The only bad part about dropping them is that my whole family uses my passwords, so I'll feel guilty. Oh well.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
What all is going on the mst3k service?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

What all is going on the mst3k service?

New episodes and shorts, live events, and the vast majority of old episodes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Beavis and Butthead is so good.

IDK why but them insisting they were doing Parkour in Houston instead of Paris made me laugh really hard

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that made me laugh so hard. them just kinda bickering about whether the music video was cool also made me laugh also the moon sucks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I think I'm dropping all the big services. Just gonna keep the niche ones. Shudder is good in my book, and very cheap. Paramount+ now gives me good Stars Trek and therefore it can stay (while LDS and SNW are airing). Might pick up that MST3K one once I drop Netflix. Otherwise ShoutFactoryTV and Tubi get way more play than HBO and Netflix and Hulu in my house these days.

The only bad part about dropping them is that my whole family uses my passwords, so I'll feel guilty. Oh well.

You could keep one big one and rotate which service it is every few months

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gizmoplex might be the most zen collection of content out there, however, must love MST3k

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Im watching the sopranos for the first time somehow. I like how lighthearted it is - modern dramas are so much more intense and serious

also just started Day Shift

edit k this is pretty sweet so far

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 12, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Im watching the sopranos for the first time somehow. I like how lighthearted it is - modern dramas are so much more intense and serious

also just started Day Shift

It's probably the most underrated aspect of The Sopranos, I think more people would go back and watch the show if they knew how funny it was. The times I've rewatced it, I look forward to the funniest episodes more than anything related to the drama or the plot.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I watched Sopranos for the first time during lockdown like a lot of people and yeah, one of the best parts of it is how hilarious it is. Mad Men definitely cribbed that humor and is one of the many reason why that show also owns.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I only made it one season into mad men, Elizabeth whatzerface skeeves me out too much. Ill give it another shot tho

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I only made it one season into mad men, Elizabeth whatzerface skeeves me out too much. Ill give it another shot tho

Mad Men is one of the few shows where each season is better than the previous. Season 1 is definitely the weakest.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It's probably the most underrated aspect of The Sopranos, I think more people would go back and watch the show if they knew how funny it was. The times I've rewatced it, I look forward to the funniest episodes more than anything related to the drama or the plot.

my girlfriend was hesitant on joining me on a rewatch until she saw the episode where Livia set the kitchen on fire. she was crying laughing the whole time. she also thought it was a bro-y serious mob show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sopranos is actually about food. Here is a Youtube video with (most) food related things that is almost as long as an episode lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYtFMmByfJk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

this low key scene is one that always makes me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2fn1NSRZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Sopranos is peak 'prestige drama'

Everything after that has always just been an attempt to recapture that lightning in a bottle.