Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

They also get confused by a telephone and the concept of room service.

The telephone bit is evergreen, I loved DS9's crew being confused by TOS tech in "Trials and Tribble-ations." Also, having never used a rotary phone, I bet it would take me at least a couple minutes to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My grandma had a rotary phone, and it's like "wow, that's a pretty clever and easy mechanism considering the technological limitations of the era... And thank gently caress I don't have to deal with it on the daily"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't think anyone has done it better than scotty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The telephone bit is evergreen, I loved DS9's crew being confused by TOS tech in "Trials and Tribble-ations." Also, having never used a rotary phone, I bet it would take me at least a couple minutes to figure it out.

Don't forget not know to grab the handles in the turbolifts.

Also the gold/red swap.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like how SNW incorporated that into Enterprise Bingo.

Brawnfire posted:

My grandma had a rotary phone, and it's like "wow, that's a pretty clever and easy mechanism considering the technological limitations of the era... And thank gently caress I don't have to deal with it on the daily"

My gramps worked for "The Phone Company" and had rigged an old-timey two-piece, tap-for-the-operator handset to work as a modern ('90s) phone. Little did I know the 23rd century survival skills I was learning at the time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the deal with those grips, anyway? Was it a 60's future version of one of those old-timey elevators that was operated with a lever?

What's the modern nerdsplanation of why they're designed that way in-universe?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Manual speed control of the turbolifts to make sure you get where you need to go as fast as the plot requires.

naem
May 29, 2011

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

JediTalentAgent posted:

Manual speed control of the turbolifts to make sure you get where you need to go as fast as the plot requires.

"Crank it! Crank the knob!"
"Bridge, we're coming!"
"Grab the lever! Crank it harder! We're almost there!"
"We're so close, Bridge! We're cranking the knobs as fast as we can!"
"I'm squeezing this lever with all I've got!"
"FASTER, ENSIGNNMNN"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What's the deal with those grips, anyway? Was it a 60's future version of one of those old-timey elevators that was operated with a lever?

You grab the handle so the computer knows when to listen for where it's supposed to go. Otherwise you'd walk in, and go "Engineering." Then start talking to your friend "Oh man, I hear the bridge was a fiasco today, something about aliens taking over the first officer's brain?" Resulting in the turbolift changing directions, and you ending up on the bridge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you need the handles in case the turbolift gets lost in the infinite turbolift zone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They never showed it, but every once in a while, someone would get on the turbolift and hit the jackpot. They would get buried in gold coins, alive. It was horrifying, but part of starship culture.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti8yocbf7yE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXlwPQTS2Fw

LOL, no. You're stuck in that uniform forever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

i don't think anyone has done it better than scotty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE

the dumb part is this guy who is used to talking to the computer can operate windows 3.1 like a data and wrote his own program or whatever in ten seconds because he is from the future

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the dumb part is this guy who is used to talking to the computer can operate windows 3.1 like a data and wrote his own program or whatever in ten seconds because he is from the future

That is the space whales movie. There are no dumb parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not because he's from the future, it's because he's Scotty.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

:actually: That's an Apple, which is clearly more user friendly to a future Scotsman

EDIT: Maybe he's got some Clan Mackintosh in his blood.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 11, 2022

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

star trek iv is a documentary and the events happen in real time

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Sulu learned to fly a Huey in DCS

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

JediTalentAgent posted:

Who wouldn't want a throttle on an elevator?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's the most relaxing Star Trek episode though

my pick is Data's Day

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Rascals

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Bajoran Solar Sail ship episode probably.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

External Organs posted:

The Bajoran Solar Sail ship episode probably.

I'd second it, just because even Gul Dukat has to be polite and can't cause poo poo on the effort at the end. He has to sit there and applaud Sisko's efforts with gritted teeth and a "surprise" unearthing of a Bajoran Sail Ship on Cardassia because Sisko accidentally, and irrefutably, proved such a trip was possible.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd second it, just because even Gul Dukat has to be polite and can't cause poo poo on the effort at the end. He has to sit there and applaud Sisko's efforts with gritted teeth and a "surprise" unearthing of a Bajoran Sail Ship on Cardassia because Sisko accidentally, and irrefutably, proved such a trip was possible.

Honestly knowing how actual fascism works I'm surprised they didn't just tell everyone that the Federation faked the entire thing and complain about the woke Federation media

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Kesper North posted:

Honestly knowing how actual fascism works I'm surprised they didn't just tell everyone that the Federation faked the entire thing and complain about the woke Federation media

If the central command was still in control that is exactly what would have happened, but the Detapa Council draws its newfound legitimacy and power from the shifting cultural mood w/r/t holocausting, esp. Bajorans. In terms of the ongoing narrative the solar sail episode depicts the near zenith of the Council and the nadir of Central Command and especially Dukat, charging up the friction that allowed Central Command to enact a coup of the Council via surrender to the Dominion.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kesper North posted:

They didn't because the Cardassian's aren't actually fascists, they actually take care of their citizens and have a strong social welfare system. The Cardassian system is authoritarian and imperialist, but it is designed to create an orderly society. And the Cardassian Government at the time of the solar sailer episode was trying to forge closer ties with Bajor to get more access to the wormhole. It was entirely in their own interests to admit to the existence of the original voyage once Sisko has proven it was possible.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sweet geek swag posted:

They didn't because the Cardassian's aren't actually fascists, they actually take care of their citizens and have a strong social welfare system. The Cardassian system is authoritarian and imperialist, but it is designed to create an orderly society. And the Cardassian Government at the time of the solar sailer episode was trying to forge closer ties with Bajor to get more access to the wormhole. It was entirely in their own interests to admit to the existence of the original voyage once Sisko has proven it was possible.

Oh, right, I was thinking of the Dominion occupation

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hollismason posted:

What's the most relaxing Star Trek episode though

my pick is Data's Day

11:59

I dare you to stay awake through it

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

To be fair, unless you were really ideologically opposed to it, "strong social safety net" seems like a no-brainer legitimacy-booster for any society with access to replicators. It's not like real life fascist countries had no social welfare programs. For the "right" sorts of people anyways, which does sound Cardassian.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

They didn't because the Cardassian's aren't actually fascists, they actually take care of their citizens and have a strong social welfare system. The Cardassian system is authoritarian and imperialist, but it is designed to create an orderly society.

Maybe writers are bad at math, or maybe Cardassians are actually really good at worker safety, who's to say

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

Maybe writers are bad at math, or maybe Cardassians are actually really good at worker safety, who's to say

Clearly forgetting that like 80% of adults work as Vedeks. The Vedeks got to just stroll around their gardens the whole occupation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Clearly forgetting that like 80% of adults work as Vedeks. The Vedeks got to just stroll around their gardens the whole occupation.

alright but how many vedeks met their end just during ds9

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gotta be three or four, right? Bareil for sure. What happened to that guy who heard "caste system" and jumped straight to murdering his own monks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tunicate posted:

I imagine a lot of that was "Kill this entire village for this one person's minor offense" every couple of months to Set An Example.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tunicate posted:

the population number comes from the star trek: star charts book which was published several years after ds9 had finished being written.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dabir posted:

Gotta be three or four, right? Bareil for sure. What happened to that guy who heard "caste system" and jumped straight to murdering his own monks?

He got a very prestigious position on Cardassia.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Shakaar's disastrous agricultural reform and climate policies caused far more suffering than Dukat ever did. It's time to open up the economy, reintroduce the labor camps, and make Bajor great again #lockkiraup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I’ll remind the Bajorans that they didn’t have all the nice roads they do now that we built to the space ports we also built (and then destroyed) to strip mine their planet. Also consider how well they now keep records of course a testament to our enlightening them.