Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the rock and sock connection and any team that kind of made it where they were putting someone with a veteran as their life preserver like the koloffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breetai posted:

Don't ask me why but there is something really loving satisfying about watching a nice German suplex. It's not necessarily as devastating looking as other more fancy suplexes like a tiger or dragon suplex, but a well executed German or any of its innumerable variants just kicks rear end.
please do not post Takeshita’s masters dissertation in its entirety

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

please do not post Takeshita’s masters dissertation in its entirety

lol

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

reality_groove posted:

I was thinking about the Acolytes (as I often do) and how unlike most tag teams, Simmons and Bradshaw came up entirely separately through two different eras. Simmons was a mid-80's to early 90's guy while Bradshaw didn't get started until the mid-90's.

Are there any other successful tag teams who had completely separate careers or wrestled at different times before becoming a tag team?

forkboy84 posted:

Public Enemy come to mind: Rocco Rock got his start in 1978, Johnny Grunge didn't debut until 1987

reDRagon would be the modern example that immediately comes to mind of a sucessful long running tag team of guys at different ages who had different career paths until teaming up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

reality_groove posted:

I was thinking about the Acolytes (as I often do) and how unlike most tag teams, Simmons and Bradshaw came up entirely separately through two different eras. Simmons was a mid-80's to early 90's guy while Bradshaw didn't get started until the mid-90's.

Are there any other successful tag teams who had completely separate careers or wrestled at different times before becoming a tag team?

Braun Strowman and Nicholas

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

tigerdriver82 posted:

Because the Co-Writer of the book and artist of the cover Daniel Warren Johnson is huge wrestling fan. Dude loves him NJPW and AEW.
Almost every book he has drawn has some sort of wrestling move in it.

He is also currently writing and drawing a booked called Do a Powerbomb for Image Comics - it loving rules.

I just read the first two issues of Do A Powerbomb this week and it is so loving good so far.

Would also recommend Crimson Cage for cool wrestling comics.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: ^^ cool, thanks! ^^

tigerdriver82 posted:

Because the Co-Writer of the book and artist of the cover Daniel Warren Johnson is huge wrestling fan. Dude loves him NJPW and AEW.

He is also currently writing and drawing a booked called Do a Powerbomb for Image Comics - it loving rules.

I was about to ask if there had ever been any good wrestling comics, so thanks for that! Anything else you'd recommend?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What the gently caress, Rocco Rock got started in the 70s?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What the gently caress, Rocco Rock got started in the 70s?

Yeah he used to be called the Cheetah Kid

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah he used to be called the Cheetah Kid

The name's familiar, I just thought he was some ECW indie geek.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What is the coolest class of power moves and why is it sit out powerbombs

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Backbreakers especially tilt-a-whirl ones

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm a powerbomb guy for sure

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Captain Foo posted:

Every now and again, when he was in the mood to give a poo poo, Batista could make a Batista Bomb look absolutely devastating. I think it was in the WrestleMania match against Undertaker that he made it look like he had just crushed Undertaker's soul out of his body.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

reality_groove posted:

The third incarnation of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, Ole and Arn Anderson. Ole had about 20 years on Arn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's piledrivers. Or brainbusters. Y'know what, it just needs to have "driver" in the name.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's piledrivers. Or brainbusters. Y'know what, it just needs to have "driver" in the name.

Agreed, I love a piledriver variation, plus the basic move is still wonderful.

Remember the reaction when Punk piledrove Cena

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh man don't make me chose between bombs and drivers

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What is a Falcon Arrow because I’ve loved that move ever since Fire Pro.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im a stiff strike guy more than a moves guy

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
gently caress suplexes, gently caress bombs, anything -buster is where it's at

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silly Burrito posted:

Sitout suplex i think

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Fave power move type: Stalling vertical suplex setup into anything.

Silly Burrito posted:

Vertical suplex setup into a sitout bodyslam.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

im a stiff strike guy more than a moves guy

What's your poison -

Lariats?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o18HucZx6as

Chops?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTXzeBuQSg

Elbow Strikes vs chops?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCR_Nmm188M

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Forearms are really good in person but it doesn't translate to TV so well. Sugiura has really good ones that have a deep thunk that vibrates around the place.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lunatic Sledge posted:

gently caress suplexes, gently caress bombs, anything -buster is where it's at

Suplexes all the way, you can even have a Fisherman Buster!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also kicks

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hate sitout powerbombs. Stand up and throw them down like a man/woman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why fall on your butt if you don't gotta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-BprBPWHI

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sit out powerbombs are loving rad as hell they look way cooler than a regular powerbomb

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah let me just pick this guy up then I'll sit down with him and hug his little leggies for the pin.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Imagine if instead of power bombing Eric Bischoff off the stage Nash did a bitch rear end sitout powerbomb. NWO would have died before starting.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In all honesty package piledrivers are the sickest moves

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

tigerdriver82 posted:

edit to actually answer about the book: Book is about dinosaurs as the Justice League and the characters and locations in the book are all dinosaur puns. So, if that appeals to you then yeah read it.

Cool! I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in a comic shop.

Venomous posted:

e: ^^ cool, thanks! ^^

I was about to ask if there had ever been any good wrestling comics, so thanks for that! Anything else you'd recommend?

I highly recommend this one. A buddy bought it for me as a Christmas gift a couple years ago, lots of good info that covers pretty much everything from the earliest days up to right before AEW, including Mexico and Japan.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

History Comes Inside! posted:

In all honesty package piledrivers are the sickest moves

Ah yes, Chase Owens' finisher

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A while back I saw on Twitter a quote from Mox's book that was simply, "gently caress Mike Quackenbush."

I'll get around to reading the book (or listening to the audio book) eventually, but what's the context?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The best variant to apply to moves is the straight-jacket.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

A while back I saw on Twitter a quote from Mox's book that was simply, "gently caress Mike Quackenbush."

I'll get around to reading the book (or listening to the audio book) eventually, but what's the context?

There isn’t really one. It’s just mentioned as a throwaway event where he yelled it drunkenly at a TV when someone put a Chikara DVD on during some CZW-era drink and drug binge, he doesn’t go into any detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there anything else that has crazy "wtf" value like the pumphandle Whale Hunt

Something that just looks fast and violent