Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The 2000s really was the zenith of middling EuroFPS whose demos I'd play and then not buy for how middling they were. What was that one game that was all water-themed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

The 2000s really was the zenith of middling EuroFPS whose demos I'd play and then not buy for how middling they were. What was that one game that was all water-themed?

So much JoWood.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mordja posted:

Hydro something, it was on PS3?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hydrophobia? Looks third person though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uXtfWPqVY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

he should cover Collapse

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

Hydrophobia? Looks third person though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uXtfWPqVY

Yeah it was probably this, maybe I'm just misremembering it as first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Today is the release anniversary of System Shock 2 (it released in 1999), one of the best first person shooters ever made. :homebrew:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

Heat.net was created and operated by SegaSoft, the semi-independent-ish western PC gaming wing of Sega.

Ooh man I loved Heat.net, mainly because I was a child so I had no money, and it was free.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Today is the release anniversary of System Shock 2 (it released in 1999), one of the best first person shooters ever made. :homebrew:

It was all going so well until that ‘NAH’ ending

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Convex posted:

It was all going so well until that ‘NAH’ ending

The ending kicks rear end. Don't you remember what the hacker did at the end of System Shock 1? That's what these games are all about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ultrakill spoilers

https://twitter.com/smoke_quack/status/1557561493150916609

lmao

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Convex posted:

Just use this, it works amazing and just got updated to work properly with SSAO. Game plays like a dream now - widescreen, smooth 60fps vsync, properly scaled HUD, no weird window resizing nonsense using the menu. My biggest aggravation is that Kyle's cool beard only appears in cutscenes.

Kinsie is of course correct that there is only so much that can be done with the original exe, but I don't think this source port existed when they wrote that up?

That works like a dream, thanks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
As someone who's not exactly smitten with System Shock 2 like everyone else, I will 100% defend both the absolutely killer soundtrack and the amazing ending. How do people not like those things. COME ON.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

The ending kicks rear end. Don't you remember what the hacker did at the end of System Shock 1? That's what these games are all about.

nah

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I read that SS2's writer wrote out a proper ending, the person in charge of animating it just did something else entirely, and they had to recut what was created into the most coherent ending they could given time and budget constraints.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SS2's ending is a textbook example of tonal whiplash.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Kinsie is of course correct that there is only so much that can be done with the original exe, but I don't think this source port existed when they wrote that up?
It didn't and I recently updated the guide to point at OpenJKDF2. However, it doesn't work with the expansion pack since it added new engine features that still need to be reverse-engineered, so if you ever wanna fall down that particular pit, you'll have to do things the painful way.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I got bored and engineered a battle between two teams of 2,500+ Archviles:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Drinkslinger posted:

I am certain that this will predict the next election accurately. It can't fail.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

SS2's ending is a textbook example of tonal whiplash.

Nah

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Drinkslinger posted:

So like you go to all the effort of doing that, and informing of us that you did all that, and then don't even do us the god drat courtesy of telling us which side won.

like what even the gently caress!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the conflict is ongoing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

So like you go to all the effort of doing that, and informing of us that you did all that, and then don't even do us the god drat courtesy of telling us which side won.

the arch-viles won, op

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
we lost.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Drinkslinger posted:

Imagining now saltybet but with randomly generated Doom II monster infighting teams

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

dr_rat posted:

I was about to reply that the red side won but then I saw Prophet of Nixon's post and thought "Oh poo poo, what if it's actually a predictor?" :ohdear:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The climax was going so well until Blade said that some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill(?!). Textbook example of tonal whiplash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What are the stages of Amid Evil people didn't like? This game is dang good so far even if it has some very apparent limitations

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Drinkslinger posted:

This is the future democrats want

edit: also I would like one full sized canvas print of this for my study please

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Barudak posted:

What are the stages of Amid Evil people didn't like? This game is dang good so far even if it has some very apparent limitations

Sentinels Domain and Sacred Path are the weakest links for me. But they’re not atrocious, just not that interesting compared to the stuff that comes after them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Barudak posted:

Sacred Path is the worst, not because of the level design, but because its enemies are too anemic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Barudak posted:

For me the low points were episode 1 (which wasn't actually bad in itself but is where the "oh, the gunfeel in this game is not much bad as completely nonexistent" realization settles in) and episode 3 (way longer than E1-2 and has some of the most annoying enemies in the entire game). Also some of the bits in the final episode where you run around a room for 20 minutes trial-and-erroring which exits lead to secrets, which ones teleport you back to the entrance, which ones just kill you, and which one actually lets you progress in the game.

ToxicFrog posted:

MetaDoom didn't give me any trouble at all, it was a blast. I think the highest density of weird compatibility issues so far is Hideous Destructor, which is no surprise considering how many standard Doom behaviours it completely replaces.

Funniest compatibility issue goes to Ashes Afterglow: the sawn-off shotgun (and all its variants) is flagged as a melee weapon, which means you can get melee exclusive upgrades on it like "stop time whenever you get a kill" :getin:

An update on this: highest count of weird compatibility issues now goes to loving Hexen, although most of those got fixed outright or at least mitigated in the most recent release. Even when I'm not playing it Hexen finds ways to make me unhappy, especially since debugging and fixing those issues requires me to play Hexen, a truly miserable fate.

Doing that reminded me that Hexen does actually have some cool weapon ideas, it's just that in any given playthrough you don't get to use most of them. They could make for a pretty nice arsenal if combined into a single weapon set and transplanted to a completely different game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yup. E3 was definitely a low point compared to the rest of the game, with E6 being fantastic and E7 being one of the few renditions of "surreal voidscape" that was actually a lot of fun to play.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This doesn't necessarily make either stage bad, but it is weird that E6 has death planes while E7 just teleports you to safety if/when you fall into the void. It makes E7 the less difficult stage, especially since it lets you dive into bottomless pits to avoid enemy swarms.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
God the music for episodes 6 and 7 is so good too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Even when I'm not playing it Hexen finds ways to make me unhappy, especially since debugging and fixing those issues requires me to play Hexen, a truly miserable fate.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God the music for episodes 6 and 7 is so good too.

Aetheres (E6M1) has no right being this good, it's such a perfect level/music combo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
can archviles res other archviles

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

can archviles res other archviles

not normally, no. some mods or mapsets do allow them to, though, and it's absolutely terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They can't res cybers and masterminds either, right?

Imagining a truly cruel mod maker that has crushers + modded archviles to fill your map with invincible ghost cybies