  • Post
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Zero One posted:

My Ford has a collision prevention system that looks for vehicles and pedestrians and applies emergency braking if it thinks it's about to hit something.

This is seperate from my cruise control and is always working even if I'm driving "manually".

If Tesla doesn't have anything that works to prevent collisions when Autopilot is off that's even worse.

Got a car with no fancy features and thought I liked it that way until I drove a one with the cruise control that matches the speed of the vehicle in front of you up to your max speed. Made it so much easier to post this.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Zero One posted:

My Ford has a collision prevention system that looks for vehicles and pedestrians and applies emergency braking if it thinks it's about to hit something.

This is seperate from my cruise control and is always working even if I'm driving "manually".

If Tesla doesn't have anything that works to prevent collisions when Autopilot is off that's even worse.

I agree — and it does have collision detection/AEB, but this is being pitched as a “self driving” failure when it’s really something else altogether. Facts were never the strong suit of the either the obsessive pro- or anti-Tesla crowd, though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zero One posted:

My Ford has a collision prevention system that looks for vehicles and pedestrians and applies emergency braking if it thinks it's about to hit something.

This is seperate from my cruise control and is always working even if I'm driving "manually".

If Tesla doesn't have anything that works to prevent collisions when Autopilot is off that's even worse.

And even if that system is a bit too keen, I'd rather take the jerk of emergency braking than clattering into someone else.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sonic Dude posted:

Facts were never the strong suit of the either the obsessive pro- or anti-Tesla crowd, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSdit919E0

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the best part of this tweet is that I learned about Joseph of Cupertino, patron saint of astronauts (because he levitated) and examinations (because he was very stupid) who is somehow not a joke

Wikipedia posted:

He was said to have been remarkably unclever, but prone to miraculous levitation and intense ecstatic visions that left him gaping.
:raise:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

posting on the h4x0r page

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ben shapino posted:

posting on the h4x0r page

Tread carefully!

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Sonic Dude posted:

I also saw somewhere that it wasn’t even actually turned on. It’s like turning on cruise control (which basically does nothing) but never setting a speed (which is the step that does something). You’d think that would be what the Muskcrowd would focus on, not “well you didn’t simulate the murder of the right kind of child.”

Well, no, I suppose this makes more sense for that particular demographic.

Why can you turn off the "don't murder children" setting?

Sonic Dude posted:

I agree — and it does have collision detection/AEB, but this is being pitched as a “self driving” failure when it’s really something else altogether. Facts were never the strong suit of the either the obsessive pro- or anti-Tesla crowd, though.

So is it better or worse that the AEB blitzed a child rather than the auto driving?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1557540266533347328

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/pups_Puppies1/status/1557272476786331649

losin' it at this, dog head tilts are my weakness

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
https://twitter.com/catsofyore/status/1557167989505523717?s=21&t=60ZL2cOJqfg8kdRrxCsqCQ

This account is a pro follow, if you aren’t already.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I can only scroll down and see like 10 tweets without being prompted to sign in. This is bullshit; is it new?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can only scroll down and see like 10 tweets without being prompted to sign in. This is bullshit; is it new?

10 whole tweets? wow, yeah that seems new. i usually get like 3 or 4 tops

Vicks
Aug 13, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can only scroll down and see like 10 tweets without being prompted to sign in. This is bullshit; is it new?

You can get around it by pressing Sign Up or Log In and then pressing the X in the top left.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Use a nitter instance to avoid it completely

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Use a nitter instance to avoid it completely

Same except this thread.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/byalexzaragoza/status/1557515202815578115?t=G6BH9VuUE6uwtaHzr3IJ2Q&s=09

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Party Ape posted:

Why can you turn off the "don't murder children" setting?

I actually know the answer to this one, having ridden in someone else's Tesla: because when you leave it on, the Tesla will slam on its brakes when it SHOULDN'T because it perceives something where it isn't. It doesn't just obliterate children under the right conditions, it dodges imaginary children under the wrong conditions. And if the thing that tricks it is a static part of the scenery, it will reliably do it every time you drive by that point, forcing you to fight the car for control.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

e: lol there was another page

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ben shapino posted:

posting on the h4x0r page

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
H3ll y34h

beaviss
Dec 20, 2021

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1553088422394400769

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

hacker page, post @foone before its too late

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1557413814311628801?s=20&t=ffqK6VUVuBnHCRm4eJuddw

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can only scroll down and see like 10 tweets without being prompted to sign in. This is bullshit; is it new?

Definitely a pro click. Fell into the rabbit hole of union cats:

https://twitter.com/UnionDrip/status/1557090869869563904?s=20&t=LceykAX4zzPPNvE_AmdsJQ

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

:same:

Posted to specifically say this.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hackers 🤝 me talking to your mother
*30s seconds of frantically wiggling fingers* I'm in

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I love the Black Eyed Peas !

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bullshit, no weird al fan would have a hamster and name it anything other than Harvey

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

flavor.flv posted:

Bullshit, no weird al fan would have a hamster and name it anything other than Harvey

The characters in Paper Girls are from the eighties, Harvey the Wonder Hamster hadn't been recorded yet!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Party Ape posted:

So is it better or worse that the AEB blitzed a child rather than the auto driving?

Worse? I’m confused as to what people think I’m saying here.

They didn’t tell the car to drive, and a human driver ran over a fake kid. Then they lied about the test; that’s bad. During what they did manage to test, the car didn’t seem to notice or care about the fake kid. That’s also bad. How is this controversial?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sonic Dude posted:

Worse? I’m confused as to what people think I’m saying here.

They didn’t tell the car to drive, and a human driver ran over a fake kid. Then they lied about the test; that’s bad. During what they did manage to test, the car didn’t seem to notice or care about the fake kid. That’s also bad. How is this controversial?

They didn't though fake or lie about the test though, all that poo poo is stuff that Tesla fans made up to cope.

https://twitter.com/RealDanODowd/status/1557528919871557632

Piell has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Aug 11, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
online elon musk stans are never going to accept that FSD is vaporware that cannot work as advertised, because a lot of these guys were convinced to put down multiple thousands of dollars on software that cannot be delievered as promised. so either reality is wrong and there is a conspiracy against elon musk, or they're huge marks who got upsold on technofantasy bullshit

musk is like trump in that he has the ability to hypnotize a segment of weirdos with his awful anti-charisma. except where for trump he's the pied piper of racists with anger management problems, musk is the guy who personifies people who believe a jetsons future is not just plausible, it's right around the corner so long as bold captains of industry are allowed to execute their visionary genius

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starting to think there's no reason I couldn't become a ultra rich conman cult leader, apparently it requires nothing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Starting to think there's no reason I couldn't become a ultra rich conman cult leader, apparently it requires nothing

It requires a poo poo ton of inherited wealth.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You just need enough to start a crypto scam, the you have enough money to fake inherited wealth, then you're gravy.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Piell posted:

They didn't though fake or lie about the test though, all that poo poo is stuff that Tesla fans made up to cope.

https://twitter.com/RealDanODowd/status/1557528919871557632

I hadn’t seen the response showing it was engaged - good to know. Regardless of whether it is, AEB should have stopped the car (or tried to).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sonic Dude posted:

I hadn’t seen the response showing it was engaged - good to know. Regardless of whether it is, AEB should have stopped the car (or tried to).

it depends on which sensors the tesla has, as elon musk has said many times he plans on achieving self driving with optical AI processing only, even going so far as to ditch radar when possible. this is counter to what every single other player in the industry is doing, using LIDAR at least for self driving vehicles and staying firmly committed to radar for AEB

why, its almost like there are some deep flaws inherent to this optical-only approach and musk is a huge charlatan who routinely makes unrealistic and dishonest promises, but he's managed to bespell a squadron of nerds who will break their own spines explaining how the product is not deficient, but that reality itself has failed to conform to the expected product standards

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This is just another way that Elon is helping fix global warming; zero population growth, one child at a time.

-some idiot on Twitter, probably

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it depends on which sensors the tesla has, as elon musk has said many times he plans on achieving self driving with optical AI processing only, even going so far as to ditch radar when possible. this is counter to what every single other player in the industry is doing, using LIDAR at least for self driving vehicles and staying firmly committed to radar for AEB

why, its almost like there are some deep flaws inherent to this optical-only approach and musk is a huge charlatan who routinely makes unrealistic and dishonest promises, but he's managed to bespell a squadron of nerds who will break their own spines explaining how the product is not deficient, but that reality itself has failed to conform to the expected product standards

Anyone who's used camera tracking software can tell you: it has impressive results, but never, ever "trust your life with it" results.

And even cameras that cost as much as a Tesla on their own don't have nearly the latitude of the human eye.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4