Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I dunno, I immediately thought Hetalia and dressing up in a literal Nazi uniform. Which has been a thing.

Yeah I was 100% expecting it to be "MY FRIENDS JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HETALIA". It being HP was even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Rolling up to the convention dressed as Anthony Goldstein, Cho Chang, antisemitic banker goblin and Seamus Finnnegan, basically the only Irish character who happens to be obsessed with explosives

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Seamus Finnnegan, basically the only Irish character who happens to be obsessed with explosives

lol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Biplane posted:

The movies get whiter and whiter as they go on. There's like one black kid in the first two, plus Cho Chang.

Is the black character named LeBron Washington?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

The story of Blaise Zabini is even better than that. See, because he was just a named character with literally no description before, a buuuuunch of fangirls assumed he was a female character. So they used the Blaise in their head as basically their "No, she's totally a legit character, not an OC!" OCs. And then he got more 'screen time' in the books, and surprise, he's a black guy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scratch Monkey posted:

the black kid has a normal name but the one adult black wizard is named Kingsley Shacklebolt

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kazil posted:

Can these people read another goddamn book already?

Hey pal you don’t eat hot dogs after eating steak

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

oldpainless posted:

Hey pal you don’t eat hot dogs after eating steak

More like oldtasteless.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
e: Pointless post, nm

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LawfulWaffle posted:

It’s v funny to me to imagine the Redditor having no Asian characteristics themself but still specifically cosplaying as Cho Chang. “I threw out all my cosplay equipment except for this wizard robe, this wand, and this pot of yellow face paint.”

Yeah, I was sort of wondering if their costume involved some sort of yellow face, because otherwise I don't know how a Cho Chang cosplay is different than a Hermione cosplay and I can't imagine anyone actually being upset about Harry Potter cosplay regardless of how toxic JK Rowling herself has become.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don’t know a ton about Harry Potter but didn’t they recast some character from black to white when they finally had a couple of lines?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

the black kid has a normal name but the one adult black wizard is named Kingsley Shacklebolt

I don't think this one's racist, but there's also the black sportsball commentator, Lee Jordan

Ambitious Spider posted:

Don’t know a ton about Harry Potter but didn’t they recast some character from black to white when they finally had a couple of lines?

Yeah, Lavender Brown had two different black actors for her appearances as a background character, then one white actor for the last few films

quote:

- Many fans speculate as to why Lavender Brown's actress was changed for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but the reasoning is quite simple. Before Half-Blood Prince, Lavender Brown played no major role, she was portrayed by two separate actresses in the second and third film and was a background character. Background characters have no specific casting, which is why multiple people can portray them. Usually they are given character names just to keep order on a film set. Lavender Brown, as a major character role, was not cast until the sixth film. The filmmakers had no way of knowing she would play such a role when they assigned her name to the background actresses from previous films, which is why her actress changed in the sixth film.
- Casting a white actress in a role that had previously been held by black actresses, however, earned the film-makers some criticism for white-washing the cast. Although, in the book, when she and Ron are cuddling, it is said that "it was impossible to tell whose hands were whose", implying she is the same race as Ron, as otherwise their hands could have been clearly distinguished.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Aug 11, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So did they hire an actress with extremely masculine hands?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ron fucks.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

To be fair, that's a totally unremarkable wizard name when compared with "Draco Malfoy" and "Mad-Eye Moony" and "Remus Lupin. "

Because Rowling names her characters the way I name tabletop characters but then expects you to take them seriously I guess.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

That was the easiest-to-guess spoiler in quite some time

(not that character per se but certainly the fandom)

Thought the reveal would be whatever animal anime had all those people cosplaying in nazi poo poo.

Edit lol my phone keeps autocorrecting Japanimation to animal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoyed the harry potter musical (not the one rowling wrote) where cho chang is a white girl from texas.

Actually that whole thing was more fun than the books, shame about the association of the subject matter now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kingsley Shackleboat screams british more than anything

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Shackleboat for a Black person is... something when you think about it

Edit: Oh wait was bolt not boat. Whatever, probably other ways it was awful

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Shackleboat for a Black person is... something when you think about it

Edit: Oh wait was bolt not boat. Whatever, probably other ways it was awful

I mean he's still basically named Martin Luther Slaveinchains

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kingsley Shackleboat screams british more than anything

And something screaming British really shouldn't say anything about their skin colour.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are guys in HP named Cornelius Fudge and Mundungus Fletcher.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Henchman of Santa posted:

excuse me that's Minister Cornelius Fudge to you

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When I was a teen and lived in Japan I read the first few books and thought hey it would be cool if there was a school of magic in Japan and then later jkr was like there's totally a school in Japan and all the kids from all of Asia go there and its name translates as "magic place" in Japanese, lol. Insanely low effort

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a shitload of people in Harry Potter named in order to tell you how Rowling wants you to feel about them, or to tell you the most important thing about them.

The most important black character (ie the only black character who does literally anything that isn't a background extra) is named Kingsley Shacklebolt.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
When she was asked if Americans have quidditch she was said we have a version of it where the balls explode constantly and I think that was meant as a dig but it sounded cool as hell imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

When I was a teen and lived in Japan I read the first few books and thought hey it would be cool if there was a school of magic in Japan and then later jkr was like there's totally a school in Japan and all the kids from all of Asia go there and its name translates as "magic place" in Japanese, lol. Insanely low effort

Not only is its name shite, but it has fewer students than Hogwarts despite Japan having a way bigger population than the UK. So her zero effort approach did another racism by accidentally making the Japanese racially less magical or something

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hallo spacedog posted:

I love that England, France and Germany all get their own magic school, but all of Asia only gets one and it's somehow not in either China or India.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The entirety of Africa, North America, and South America each have one school, as well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My favorite is the evil russian magic school that everyone hates for being evil. E: pr was it german? Durmstrang or some poo poo. Nebulously eastern european.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The story of Blaise Zabini is even better than that. See, because he was just a named character with literally no description before, a buuuuunch of fangirls assumed he was a female character. So they used the Blaise in their head as basically their "No, she's totally a legit character, not an OC!" OCs. And then he got more 'screen time' in the books, and surprise, he's a black guy.

Adopting my cat was ultimately extra good for me because I got to change his name from whatever cat foster had named him Blaise Zabini. His litter mates were named Pomona Sprout and Azkaban, hopefully they were also freed of such a burden.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

tbh i don't think the reddit person wanting to cosplay cho chang because it's one of the few things she still has attachments to after all these years is a big sin. growing up as a asian girl with the harry potter series, cho chang was actually a big deal because uhhh there wasn't a lot of asian characters, let alone asian girls, in western pop culture!

as for fandom, it can mean more than 'thing i like' and i think that's what she meant; it can be used interchangeably with community, as people are seeking out others who hold similar interest and tastes. fanfic, fanart, cosplay, etc - i know people have asked why she doesn't didn't do another low effort cosplay,

also lol, i guarantee you that there was at least one person upset that the op didn't go, and so spent the rest of the con probably being huffy. online people will loving hold grudges over the dumbest poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Splash Attack posted:

online people will loving hold grudges over the dumbest poo poo.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2003

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I will echo others in saying I guessed Hetalia and I'm glad it wasn't that

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I will echo others in saying I guessed Hetalia and I'm glad it wasn't that

I didn't, only because I've seen so much dumb cosplay drama that breaks down into hilariously broken bullshit that it wouldn't surprise me if it was any fandom.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"Hetalia" sounds like a disease

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

"Hetalia" sounds like a disease

It's an untranslatable japanese pun, so you're not far off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Splash Attack posted:

tbh i don't think the reddit person wanting to cosplay cho chang because it's one of the few things she still has attachments to after all these years is a big sin. growing up as a asian girl with the harry potter series, cho chang was actually a big deal because uhhh there wasn't a lot of asian characters, let alone asian girls, in western pop culture!

as for fandom, it can mean more than 'thing i like' and i think that's what she meant; it can be used interchangeably with community, as people are seeking out others who hold similar interest and tastes. fanfic, fanart, cosplay, etc - i know people have asked why she doesn't didn't do another low effort cosplay,

also lol, i guarantee you that there was at least one person upset that the op didn't go, and so spent the rest of the con probably being huffy. online people will loving hold grudges over the dumbest poo poo.

Agreed about the representation but at least we made some major progress with the 2017 film version of Ghost in the Shell

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oldpainless posted:

Agreed about the representation but at least we made some major progress with the 2017 film version of Ghost in the Shell

i'm suddenly remembering that movie which made a big deal of how it had both jet li AND jackie chan but the main character was this white teenage boy from new york who really loved kung fu movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Posting Scott Adams almost feels like cheating by now:

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1557710512787320835

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1557717116001742849

Idiots on Social Media: Stick your fingers in his rear end without permission.