Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Pilum is just standard armament for Roman soldiers.

The praetorian guard were the emperor's body guards who also played a big political role, for example helping Caligula to succeed Tiberius and eventually turning against him. Just like FBI and Trump :v:
Like so:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PowerBeard posted:

Judging from the spear, I think Garrison is going for the soldier who pierced Jesus on the cross...

Some artists like to challenge themselves by drawing their favourite things from memory. Any alterations is Garrison wish fullfilment.

If this is Benny G challenging himself I'd hate to see what it looks like when he's coasting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A couple of those took some head-scratching.

e, solutions:
Old Spice: Michael III was murdered by Basil I. Lynx: Septimus Geta was murdered by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, known as "Caracalla"

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 10, 2022

Korthal
May 26, 2011

The only thing I could think was that some praetorian guards wound up killing their own emperors. Also, Ben, WOW, is that a TON of oddly specific detail on the Gestapo uniform. I wasn't aware they had little daggers, were you? I wonder why he knew that specific fact?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Korthal posted:

The only thing I could think was that some praetorian guards wound up killing their own emperors. Also, Ben, WOW, is that a TON of oddly specific detail on the Gestapo uniform. I wasn't aware they had little daggers, were you? I wonder why he knew that specific fact?
There's a whole discussion on the last page on how most of that detail is wrong \ SS uniform. Including the little daggers.

Which you can be aware of without being a nazi fan.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well turns out that Stephen Miller said the FBI is like the praetorian guard, so there’s no evidence Ben thought about their inclusion as much as I did.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Looked at all the cartoons on the last page, remembered today's announcement that inflation in July was a whopping 0%, giggled.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Natural causes of death for a roman emperor includes "not paying the the praetorian guard."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the FBI raid of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate – Search of Florida property appears to be related to investigation into whether Trump mishandled classified government documents when he left the White House"

Telegraph:

:pwn: "Gordon Brown can’t escape blame for Britain’s energy crisis"

Matt:

How to beat soaring bills by investing in energy companies

Independent:

‘Kangaroo committee’: Truss dismisses calls to discuss cost of living support with Sunak and Johnson; Olivia Newton-John: Singer, actor and a champion for cancer awareness who never stopped celebrating life

Times:

Evening Standard:

New dire price cap warning as bills to hit £4,200 in January; :sun: Level three heatwave alert issued as Londoners warned to brace for further wildfires :supaburn:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Does anyone have a scan of Kreider's "Scream, Honky" comic? The title was something like "who is behind everything?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jurgan posted:

Does anyone have a scan of Kreider's "Scream, Honky" comic? The title was something like "who is behind everything?"

http://www.thepaincomics.com/weekly030917a.htm

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Thanks!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The realist in me read this as a statement that they're planning to vote against their best interests. The optimist believes they're talking about the first raises they've gotten in forever in 2021 and now again in 2022.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Alan Joyce, the CEO of Qantas. Qantas Asks Executives To Be Baggage Handlers Amid Labor Shortage (Forbes).

Rowe:

China's ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian warns Beijing will use any means necessary for Taiwan 'reunification' (ABC).

Knight:

Lethbridge:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Senator Jacinta Price calls on Peter FitzSimons to release audio of their ‘bullying’ interview (news.com.au). Price is an Indigenous Country Liberal Northern Territory senator who is against the Voice to Parliament, FitzSimons is a Sydney Morning Herald columnist (a Nine-Fairfax paper, Leak is in the Australian which is News Corp).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dang i wonder who was in power in winter 2010

e: moments after making this post i remember calendar years have two winters, it is time for bed

Angepain fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 11, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I've been meaning to ask for a while, why does Garrison have the nickname Xycon Ben?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Neito posted:

I've been meaning to ask for a while, why does Garrison have the nickname Xycon Ben?

It has something to do with when he still pretended to take offense at being compared to Nazis, threatening to sue 4chan for the edits they made of his cartoons.
The edits were the ZykonBen edits. I'm assuming zykon was some sort of lethal chemical agent, but I'd be lying if I said for sure, and I'm about to go to bed, so I'm not gonna be googling it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyklon_B

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It amuses me that if you google "zyklon ben" it helpfully provides his wikipedia article in spite of the word "zyklon" appearing nowhere in said article:

Could be an earlier instance of the article had it and the search indices haven't updated, but it's funnier to think that google just has the association.

An example of a couple of the edited cartoons (which used art from A. Wyatt Mann / Nick Bougas) and his response:

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

the_steve posted:

It has something to do with when he still pretended to take offense at being compared to Nazis, threatening to sue 4chan for the edits they made of his cartoons.
The edits were the ZykonBen edits. I'm assuming zykon was some sort of lethal chemical agent, but I'd be lying if I said for sure, and I'm about to go to bed, so I'm not gonna be googling it.

He gave an interview where he whined about all those mean trolls editing his cartoons to make them more (explicitly) racist. So you'd think he'd be in favor of respecting an artist's creative control over their work, but like all conservatives he's an absolute hypocrite:

(This was in response to Matt Furie reacting to nazis appropriating his Pepe the frog character by killing him off in the strip.)

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Brian McFadden

Pedro X. Molina

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

Gone Fishing: No raid on Hillary for her private server with classified files or Hunter Biden and his Quid Pro Quo with Ukrain and China but let’s get Trump. 2-tier justice?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Elysiume posted:

It amuses me that if you google "zyklon ben" it helpfully provides his wikipedia article in spite of the word "zyklon" appearing nowhere in said article:

Some of the edits can get pretty funny, here's one from the history board

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kelly Nomination: Any day now

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Really loving the "holding politicians accountable for obvious crimes is something only corrupt brown foreigners do" narrative.

Hey Branco, you ever wonder why they're called banana republics?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Korthal posted:

Some of the edits can get pretty funny, here's one from the history board

A harsh lol.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Really loving the "holding politicians accountable for obvious crimes is something only corrupt brown foreigners do" narrative.

Hey Branco, you ever wonder why they're called banana republics?

It feels like "Banana Republic" should be a racist term. "We've fallen so far that we're engaging in the same sort of corruption as the Latinos!" No one seems to take it that way, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

It feels like "Banana Republic" should be a racist term. "We've fallen so far that we're engaging in the same sort of corruption as the Latinos!" No one seems to take it that way, though.

"Banana republic" as a term is a reference to Dole and their coup(s) unless I'm mistaken

E: I have now checked and it was United Fruit Company

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Tony Branco

quote:

Gone Fishing: No raid on Hillary for her private server with classified files or Hunter Biden and his Quid Pro Quo with Ukrain and China but let’s get Trump. 2-tier justice?

What job does Hunter Biden have in the White House...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haha he loving wishes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"I'm going to draw a critical cartoon about how we're not allowed to draw critical cartoons!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's on your computer McCoy?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m guessing that’s a very generous hairline and waistline on his avatar there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

"Banana republic" as a term is a reference to Dole and their coup(s) unless I'm mistaken

E: I have now checked and it was United Fruit Company

Yuuuup. Banana republics are notoriously corrupt because our own drat fruit companies conquered them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the looming cold winter – It won’t be a magical Christmas for many Britons as fuel prices climb" Also Snowman author Raymond Briggs dies aged 88

Telegraph:

Matt:

:sun: UK weather: Level three heatwave alert issued for whole of England

Independent:

:supaburn: UK bakes in latest heatwave with drought looming for some areas

Times:

When the Wind Blows (comics) - Wikipedia

Evening Standard:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m guessing that’s a very generous hairline and waistline on his avatar there.

There are only a couple photos online of Gary, but it's pretty accurate afaict. It's also accurate to his taste in clothing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Incredible. Blower is such a hack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cross posting lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
That where the wind blows tribute is loving killer.