Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Oh so THAT'S what they mean when they say a line is hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Real Amethyst posted:

I asked this question a number of months ago after I asked about fire blankets on the reddit /r/firefighting sub and the general consensus from all the firefighters was "lmao no why would you need a fire blanket thats stupid european poo poo". Meanwhile they're basically mandatory in all kitchen in Europe even in residential properties.

The fire blanket is for smothering the idiot walking up to the grease fire with a bucket. Simple de-escalation technique.

I know, I know, we don't do that here etc etc etc blah blah blah

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Americans want their buildings to burn down for the insurance money duh.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Americans want their buildings to burn down for the insurance money duh.

Not all Americans.

Some want other people's buildings to burn down because they failed to pay their "firefighters will extinguish the fire" fee in their municipality.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The US doesn't use fire blankets? Why is the US always different to the rest of the world, and always in ways that are worse.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdlus5iYho

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Splode posted:

The US doesn't use fire blankets? Why is the US always different to the rest of the world, and always in ways that are worse.

Because gently caress YOU that’s why

:911:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That led me to a short search for world fire statistics, and I landed at the CTIF Report for 2016:

Data availability seems to be a bit rough.

But also, this has implications for the Russian war in Ukraine. Maybe Russia really is just spontaneously catching fire all the time. :thunk:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XIqDRZm.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tired: killdozer

wired: wreckscavator

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m guessing he didn’t get paid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2n5Lxa5.mp4

:catstare:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Snake Yeeter.

Hmhmhmmmh.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

those snakes are all very confused

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I have had it with these motherfucking snakes in my motherfucking lane

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

But also, this has implications for the Russian war in Ukraine. Maybe Russia really is just spontaneously catching fire all the time. :thunk:

It probably doesn't help that Russian mass produced apartments built after WW2 were so poorly insulated that people took the habit of hanging rugs on walls just to stay warm.

Plus you probably get some really shady extra heaters once the winter really strikes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nenonen posted:

It probably doesn't help that Russian mass produced apartments built after WW2 were so poorly insulated that people took the habit of hanging rugs on walls just to stay warm.

Plus you probably get some really shady extra heaters once the winter really strikes.

every picture from an apt like that features people with bruises all over their face.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

That led me to a short search for world fire statistics, and I landed at the CTIF Report for 2016:

I recall reading that smoking in bed used to be responsible for a shitton of fires.

quote:

Smoking in bed is the leading cause of fire deaths

By Richard S. Campos JBSA Fire Emergency Services
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO, Texas –

In the United States, smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths, as reported by the U.S. Fire Administration. Some significant deterrents in combatting these unnecessary deaths are smoke alarms, smoldering resistant bedding and upholstered furniture. Smoking material fires are preventable.
https://www.jbsa.mil/News/News/Article/2322093/smoking-in-bed-is-the-leading-cause-of-fire-deaths/

So that plus even shittier wiring would explain a lot I think.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mobby_6kl posted:

I recall reading that smoking in bed used to be responsible for a shitton of fires.

https://www.jbsa.mil/News/News/Article/2322093/smoking-in-bed-is-the-leading-cause-of-fire-deaths/

So that plus even shittier wiring would explain a lot I think.

goddamn, I mean in the 80s sure, I can't believe this is still an issue. Second leading cause is driving a tesla.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah to me that chart says "in places where it gets colder for longer people die in fires more often" which makes sense

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I wonder if anyone has mapped the correlation between the decline in smoking and those totally mysterious spontaneous human combustion incidents you used to hear about all the time years ago?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I never care who is in the right or the wrong in these situations, I will always root for the person going apeshit in heavy construction machinery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

goddamn, I mean in the 80s sure, I can't believe this is still an issue. Second leading cause is driving a tesla.

Especially since cigarettes nowadays have rings in the paper that make them go out if you don't keep smoking them. Or did they stop doing that?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

that's alcohol abuse

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I know you're eager to get the guy to stop, but getting really close to a gigantic machine controlled by an angry and irrational dude wholly focused on destroying things is a bad idea.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Vargatron posted:

that's alcohol abuse

Nah, that's barely enough to get a buzz.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

is Belarus the country with that big fire hole?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PhazonLink posted:

isn't that turkmenistan?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Hell, the United States has a town in Pennsylvania with that.

https://www.wgal.com/amp/article/pennsylvania-abandoned-town-centralia/37726449

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I was curious if it was still burning and Wikipedia told me "At its current rate, it could continue to burn for over 250 years." Huh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Uthor posted:

I was curious if it was still burning and Wikipedia told me "At its current rate, it could continue to burn for over 250 years." Huh.

Small town Pennsylvania, ownin' them libs for centuries.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ilmucche posted:

isn't that turkmenistan?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

There's a few other places with gas or coal seam fires. There's one in Australia has one that's 6000 years old, apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Mountain

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

I know you're eager to get the guy to stop, but getting really close to a gigantic machine controlled by an angry and irrational dude wholly focused on destroying things is a bad idea.

The guy who approached through the blind spot then scrambled over the top had the right idea. Possibly not his first excavator-run-amok situation.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pennsylvania burning coal while it's still in the ground reminds me of Colin Furze when he had the idea that people might need fire, and so drove around a delivery truck stacked with burning pallets asking people if they needed any, which they did not.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Scratch Monkey posted:

OSHA rule #4: Never gently caress with a fuckler

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cthulu Carl posted:

Oh so THAT'S what they mean when they say a line is hot

I thought it was a pilot light for the electrics.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I Give my Life,
Not for honor, but for you

Antigravitas posted:

Snake Yeeter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Antigravitas posted:

Snake Yeeter.

Hmhmhmmmh.

lmao

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1557766648719097856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Splode posted:

The US uses dry chemical fire extinguishers, which don't require the user to be nearly as close to the fire and work better on irregular or ventilated surfaces. I posted a video a while back of a fire-eater and his friend playing around with different kinds of extinguishers and the blanket needs to smother the fire for longer than most people would think so the fire doesn't reignite once the blanket is removed.

I will concede that extinguishers make a big mess if you use them though. If I have a fire I can't put out with a pot lid, I'd still prefer the option to be on the other side of the room. If you want to be smugly European about it though, you can just say it's because Americans want to shoot the fire with an anti fire gun.