Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but those were meant to be a specific particular type of thing even if people did it in a moronic way. The cruiser thing is more like just modifying poo poo for the sake of it being modified, but then doing it in a really directionless, half assed, consumerist American way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like my cruiser, it has no stupid mods, I have done 10,000 miles on it and I ride it often and I use both brakes!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

I like my cruiser, it has no stupid mods, I have done 10,000 miles on it and I ride it often and I use both brakes!

You are the true 1%-er

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

R7 race bike developed by Yoshimura, piloted by Ari Henning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu52zXS_BZs

I think this is at a track day, though, not a race, because he has to roll off for the sound booth between 5 and 6. Here is the fastest lap for each rider at the race. The Yoshimura bike is about 3 seconds off the pace, which is pretty interesting because P1 and P2 are on R7s from two different teams. There was a development video posted from Chuckwalla, but I'm having trouble finding it!

Anyway, RS660 still leading the championship, but the R7 isn't totally out of it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you know the rules of that class? Those two bikes have pretty different power outputs from stock, is there some kind of power balancing system or are they just free to modify poo poo?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I know, right? I was pretty surprised as well. I'd have to dig, but it doesn't seems like the regulations are publicly posted. Here's what the MotoAmerica site says about the Twins Cup:

quote:

Putting lighter-weight, twin-cylinder motorcycles in the spotlight, REV’IT! Twins Cup is a rapidly evolving race class that initially enabled regional and club racers from around the country to step up to the MotoAmerica series and compete on a national level.

Now, along with that mission, REV’IT! Twins Cup has become a stepping-stone for young riders who want to move up from STG Junior Cup and don’t feel quite ready for Supersport.

REV’IT! Twins Cup is also increasing in popularity due to the manufacturer’s introducing more and more of this category of motorcycles. New models like the Aprilia RS 660 and Yamaha YZF-R7 are the perfect choices for REV’IT! Twins Cup competition, along with the venerable Suzuki SV650 and Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Engine Configurations:
Over 600cc up to 800cc, 4-stroke, 2-cylinder
100 Horsepower

Minimum Weight:
297.6 pounds

Rider Age Limit:
15-55

So based on that seems like it's pretty open and just subject to a weight and dyno test? I'm gonna try to find the development video they posted because it really helps to show how much goes into building a competitive race bike. In that video it seemed like everything was subject to review.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading that to me implies that they're capped at 100bhp and presumably they'd use a dyno to test compliance. I'd be very interested to see the dyno chart of the two engines compared when they're both making ~100.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

I think this is at a track day, though, not a race, because he has to roll off for the sound booth between 5 and 6.

correct, the description in the video says as much

quote:

Laguna Seca has a strict sound limit at track days, and Ari was forced to roll out of the throttle through this section to avoid being black flagged.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's true and I've only internalized just how bad the situation is in the last couple of years; I always thought it was like everything else in NZ ie a lovely low rent imitation of the real thing. I've only now realized we are actually on the bleeding edge of fuckwit bike innovation. And I want to emphasize: the worst most gangster bikes never make it to the internet, they only change hands for cash and they are the two wheeled equivalent of a dirty hypodermic needle. Occasionally, one of these dudes will get higher ambitions and spend 50-60k on something insanely dumb.

Just look at these beauties:

This one is my personal favorite because of the brakes:

*clears throat*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASX06npmuNs

Also, I apparently misremembered this article as a video, re: r7 twins cup

tl;dr: rev limited removed, ohlins ttx shock, r6 front end, triple clamp with adjustable offset, modified swing-arm pivot, custom shock linkage, cams, head end, exhaust (obv)

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

That legit sounds like a bad dub of an Italian V12.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The V-Rod in that video might be the only remotefully-tasteful customizations I've seen. But yeah lol, the engine definitely doesn't sound like that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Check out the :krad: holographic stickers on the '23 Ninja 400

I'm curious how this colorway looks in real life because all the official photos are clearly just photoshops of last year's pics.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

I'm curious how this colorway looks in real life because all the official photos are clearly just photoshops of last year's pics.

Possibly as close as we'll ever get to a factory option Sparklelord (the evil unicorn wizard who is also a bike)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FBS posted:

Looks awesome, I want it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I hadn't considered the possibility that people could make lovely electric cafe ratbikes.

My first thought on seeing that image was man I wonder if that dude is still alive.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Honestly that doesn't look bad to me, like yeah it's incredibly basic and the slammed bars are bit much, but overall it's really clean and a lot less hosed up looking than the majority of production electrics.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
motor placement wrt chain tension is lousy but looks its all working e-rat bike over details, fuckin send it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know a lot about electric bikes, but isn't the battery pack structure supposed to be more substantial than some ratchet straps?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
just don't ride fast over loose gravel and it'll be fine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Once you park, just undo the straps and you and 9 of your friends each get a macbook to use on the starbucks wifi!!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

motor placement wrt chain tension is lousy but looks its all working e-rat bike over details, fuckin send it.

first thing I noticed too, either he has the suspension set hard AF or that chain is tightened within an inch of its life to keep it from coming off the front sprocket any time he hits a pothole

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That thing would handle like an absolute sack of poo poo, and would probably kill you if it could go fast enough.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Something about the perspective here might be throwing me off, but it looks like the front sprocket is way further inboard than the rear?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
All of these things only matter for riding the thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Something about the perspective here might be throwing me off, but it looks like the front sprocket is way further inboard than the rear?

The archway behind it being severely not parallel implies it's either from the daliverse or the picture was taken by a fish

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hah. i know that was probably the only place to put that motor. but the angle of that chain setup means anytime you hit the throttle. a big chunk of the energy goes into compressing those rear springs.

probably pogo sticks pretty hard going on/off the gas.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The Home Brew subforum of ElectricMotorcycleForum is full of posters that wish their projects looked that solid.

It’s the Wild West out there for EV motorcycle projects. Something about it being more achievable than a car conversion, and less dorky than a homebrew e-bike.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the funny thing about e-bikes vs. motorcycles is at least motorcycle manufacturers have been thinking about working suspensions on two wheel machines for a while

ebike manufacturers seem to be catching up to 1970’s moped technology

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well that’s definitely something I don’t see every day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's hot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

the funny thing about e-bikes vs. motorcycles is at least motorcycle manufacturers have been thinking about working suspensions on two wheel machines for a while

They are shockingly bad, the basic frame architecture is usually appalling.

some kinda jackal posted:

Phenomenal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yummycheese posted:

Emmo here in Canada seems to have given up entirely and just either straight up copied or stolen Kawasaki's Ninja 300 blueprints for their e-bike. Though I don't know if this is just a Canada thing or if it's a re-branding of some chinabike that ganked Kawasaki's defunct production line.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress yes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For riding on bike paths and in the city, the only suspension you need is fattish tires (like 27.5x3, 700x50, even 26x2.4 ok) on an e-bike. Fight me.

I assume most of these home brew e bicycle people are actually trying to make an e-moped, not a e-bicycle. Meaning they are not interested in actually pedaling and they want to go faster than 20 mph while not pedaling. Which is a different goal, with different forces involved and different spec requirements for various safety bits like the brakes.

If you wanna talk about e mountain bikes, i can rehash my post about why the yamaha one is terrible and something from giant/specialized/canyon/trek etc will be miles better for actual trail riding and owning.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 12, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A proper bicycle company is going to make a better bicycle than a motorcycle company, but ebikes that aren't from Giant/Specialized/etc seem to be a special tier of terrible.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Agreed there. Someone forms a company, go to China, pay bottom dollar, slap their stickers on it and sell it for like 3k. This isn't to say that mainland China can't make great product, but people don't want to pay for it when they can get away with selling garbage that they won't have to do support on instead.

Rad Power seem to be a big exception and there are a couple other Taiwanese ebikes that are decent.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Russian Bear posted:

For riding on bike paths and in the city, the only suspension you need is fattish tires (like 27.5x3, 700x50, even 26x2.4 ok) on an e-bike. Fight me.

I assume most of these home brew e bicycle people are actually trying to make an e-moped, not a e-bicycle. Meaning they are not interested in actually pedaling and they want to go faster than 20 mph while not pedaling. Which is a different goal, with different forces involved and different spec requirements for various safety bits like the brakes.

I homebrewed my current commuter ebike, mainly because anything store bought here is 250w and more importantly capped at 25 km/h. So I bought a 500W system and slapped on a sound old-ish 29:er I got for a fair price - anything store bought of comparable quality would have been at least twice the cost. I chose the wheel size primarily for the best tire selection (I ride on snow and ice a lot so tires are important) but I admit I like that it looks cool. I mostly ride with an assist limit which is pretty drat close 20 mph but I admit I'll pull out the stops sometimes when nobody's watching and I can go north of 40 km/h. I do pedal all the time, pretty hard when homeward bound since sweating is OK at that point. Pedalling is fun and I sure as poo poo need the exercise. I like and appreciate my squishy fork which lets me go faster and gently caress up more with less drama but it's a fair bit of maintenance and I wouldn't ever call it "necessary". If I were to build or buy or build another bike for the same purpose I'd go more for ruggedness/low maintenance and less for fun/performance. Winters here are really harsh on equipment what with salt water all over the bike paths. Nothing that spins or slides lasts long and anything that can corrode will.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Invalido posted:

I homebrewed my current commuter ebike, mainly because anything store bought here is 250w and more importantly capped at 25 km/h. So I bought a 500W system and slapped on a sound old-ish 29:er I got for a fair price - anything store bought of comparable quality would have been at least twice the cost. I chose the wheel size primarily for the best tire selection (I ride on snow and ice a lot so tires are important) but I admit I like that it looks cool. I mostly ride with an assist limit which is pretty drat close 20 mph but I admit I'll pull out the stops sometimes when nobody's watching and I can go north of 40 km/h. I do pedal all the time, pretty hard when homeward bound since sweating is OK at that point. Pedalling is fun and I sure as poo poo need the exercise. I like and appreciate my squishy fork which lets me go faster and gently caress up more with less drama but it's a fair bit of maintenance and I wouldn't ever call it "necessary". If I were to build or buy or build another bike for the same purpose I'd go more for ruggedness/low maintenance and less for fun/performance. Winters here are really harsh on equipment what with salt water all over the bike paths. Nothing that spins or slides lasts long and anything that can corrode will.

Got a pic? That sounds rad. Do you do spiky tires in the winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Agreed there. Someone forms a company, go to China, pay bottom dollar, slap their stickers on it and sell it for like 3k. This isn't to say that mainland China can't make great product, but people don't want to pay for it when they can get away with selling garbage that they won't have to do support on instead.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not referring to suspension, I'm referring to the actual frame design being a collosal piece of poo poo, I've seen bikes that have big wheels but also a folding hinge in the middle for some boomer reason, that kind of thing.