Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tempted to trade in my watch 4 for the 5 preorder deal. My 4 has been pretty solid, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Battery and the glass are pretty substantive upgrades, probably not enough to justify an upgrade in isolation, but it becomes pretty compelling with the trade in values.

The SoC is the same so the platform is going to remain relevant for awhile.

They are also keeping the Watch 4 Classic around for now so they recognize that it's not a huge upgrade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have to say that as much as I like my Ticwatches that the Pixel Watch is sounding more appealing to me. The proprietary apps on my Ticwatches annoy me and will activate without prompting if they think I'm exercising, and Mobvoi did a poo poo job properly internationalizing their apps and website. A pure WearOS watch is sounding pretty good to me.

That said, I haven't done my due diligence in seeing how much I can de-Mobvoi my Ticwatches - I think there is a way to use ADB to uninstall stuff, but I haven't taken the time to really research it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

A pure WearOS watch is sounding pretty good to me.

No such thing though. The Pixel Watch is going to be Fitbit integrated for the most part.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

No such thing though. The Pixel Watch is going to be Fitbit integrated for the most part.

Ugh. I have no experience with Fitbit stuff, but at least the website should be in better English, I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing about WearOS 3.0 is that no two devices are going to be alike.

The general WearOS app is going away and each manufacturer is going to have their own app. No doubt Google is likely giving a lose framework to start with, but we've done an about face from prior WearOS when everything was supposed to be the same.

Fossil is going to have a Fossil app. Mobvoi is going to have a Mobvoi app. Samsung will have Samsung. Google is going to have their own dedicated app too.

Each is going to have their own fitness platform, but hopefully the core fitness api in WearOS will end up being able to forward sensor data to a different platform. That's supposed to be the point of Health Services, but it's not done yet. Hopefully though you'll be able to forward data to fitbit or samsung health or whatever no matter what watch you have.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I think I've mentioned before that I don't really use the fitness stuff at all, and mostly use the watch as an extension of my phone. I do need to work on my health, so might use the fitness stuff some day, but I primarily use my watch to get notifications, see and respond to texts, decline phone calls, check the weather, and control my music when I'm in a car without great Bluetooth integration. Controlling the camera on my phone with my watch is something I've played around with but should probably get a tripod to really make use of.

I'm halfway through setting up Google Pay (Wallet) on my watch but keep forgetting to complete the process.

My Ticwatch E3 is still great, I just don't like the proprietary apps and their lackadaisical approach to translating their stuff into English.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ticwatch wins because it actually exists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was really down on the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro renders when they came out, but I'll eat crow and say it's quite handsome and premium feeling in person.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

bull3964 posted:

I was really down on the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro renders when they came out, but I'll eat crow and say it's quite handsome and premium feeling in person.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be kicking myself for passing on the crazy good watch 4 trade in preorder deal for one

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

couldcareless posted:

I have a feeling I'm gonna be kicking myself for passing on the crazy good watch 4 trade in preorder deal for one

It was even crazier when you bundled with the trade in of a Fold 3 for a Fold 4 because they gave you like 20% off the watch and then gave you an extra $200 in credit that you could apply against your order at checkout time (they only let you do that if you bundled, otherwise you could only use the credit for buying accessories or take it as a credit for later.)

I traded a Fold 3 for a Fold 4 and got a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro for like $940 shipped. That's an $1800 phone and a $450 watch for $940 by trading in a phone that sells for $700 on Swappa. So, essentially got over $600 discount compared to just buying both at MSRP.

I'm currently just over 5 hours off a 100% charge and I have everything turned on (all sensors, AoD on) and I'm at 92% and this is still just the learning usage patterns phase.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

24 hours off charge. AoD on, lift to wake on, continuous heart rate, tracked sleep, I only took it off my wrist to take a shower.

62% left.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

48 hour off charge. AoD on, lift to wake on, continuous heart rate, tracked sleep, I only took it off my wrist to take a shower.

20% left.

With AoD off, I could easily see this being a 4 day watch. It could also easily be a 3 day watch with AoD on if you plunked it on the charger for the 10 minutes or so a day for showering.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 31, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure what to make out of Samsung's 10w charging claim.

On one hand, the watch certainly charges faster than the older ones.

On the other hand, my power meter, even when the watch was below 10%, never indicated anything over 3.6w.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

48 hour off charge. AoD on, lift to wake on, continuous heart rate, tracked sleep, I only took it off my wrist to take a shower.

20% left.

With AoD off, I could easily see this being a 4 day watch. It could also easily be a 3 day watch with AoD on if you plunked it on the charger for the 10 minutes or so a day for showering.

Is the watch 5 battery that much better than 4? I thought the hardware between watch 4 and watch 5 was practically the same

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Watch 5 Pro battery is over 60% larger than the 4.

Watch 4/4 Classic 44/46mm - 361mAh

Watch 5 44mm - 410mAh
Watch 5 Pro - 590mAh

So even the standard Watch 5 gets a battery boost, but the 5 Pro has even a larger battery than the TicWatch Pro 3 and I know that watch can easily go like 4+ days using the FSTN as the AoD, so I can imagine the Watch 5 Pro can do similar with AoD off.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Watch 5 owners, can I get some lug to lug measurements? All three models would be great: 40mm, 44mm and the 5 Pro. I had no luck googling around, no idea what's up with that. Also, lol at the downright fraudulent official thickness dimensions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would help out there, but I don’t really have anything to measure it with.

So, the Watch 5 Pro battery is just so chill to use. I’ve only been tossing it on the charger when I’ve been showering, wearing it 100% otherwise, and I’m 50 hours since the last full charge and still have 35% left. I figure you can probably make it most of the week just giving it 10 minutes of charge or so a day. That’s AoD on, continuous heart rate, sleep tracking, everything basically.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_watch_design_and_ui_revealed_in_multiple_leaks-news-56023.php

I much prefer the more substantial/traditional watch style, especially seeing I'm prone to whacking my wrist off door frames and poo poo and I'm sure this thing would just disintegrate within a few weeks on my wrist. Wonder if they'll botch the hardware as badly with the watch as with their phones

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just got an email on Pixel Watch preorder. I was a little surprised there wasn't much of a discount or perk added for preordering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The perk comes with the Pixel 7/7 Pro.

Ordering the 7 gets you a $100 store credit while the 7 Pro gets you $200, so their intent seems to be to have you use the phone preorder credit on the Watch.

For $150 after credit, I'm going to pick one up, but I'm not really expecting to be blown away by it (though I will say it seems to have nice animations.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

the 7 Pro gets you $200, so their intent seems to be to have you use the phone preorder credit on the Watch.
if that's true then why did sundar come over personally and force me to buy the phone and watch at the same time? i'm gonna use my credit on the tablet when it comes out.

also i bought the lte one what's the best way to get service for it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't know, never had an LTE watch and I think paying for cellular service on a wearable is a waste of money for me.

I thought about saving the credit for the tablet, but we don't have a release date on it yet and who's to say how long the credit is good for.

I have to say though, the credit is a brilliant stroke on Google's part as far as spreading it watch orders. They captured sales of people that really wanted it first day while pushing of inventory demand a week or so for everyone that might want to try it out but don't want to commit to the full amount.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Don't know, never had an LTE watch and I think paying for cellular service on a wearable is a waste of money for me.

I thought about saving the credit for the tablet, but we don't have a release date on it yet and who's to say how long the credit is good for.

I have to say though, the credit is a brilliant stroke on Google's part as far as spreading it watch orders. They captured sales of people that really wanted it first day while pushing of inventory demand a week or so for everyone that might want to try it out but don't want to commit to the full amount.

I checked into the fine print on the Google Store credit because I was curious too, and it's good until October 22nd or maybe 23rd next year.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bull3964 posted:

I would help out there, but I don’t really have anything to measure it with.

So, the Watch 5 Pro battery is just so chill to use. I’ve only been tossing it on the charger when I’ve been showering, wearing it 100% otherwise, and I’m 50 hours since the last full charge and still have 35% left. I figure you can probably make it most of the week just giving it 10 minutes of charge or so a day. That’s AoD on, continuous heart rate, sleep tracking, everything basically.

Ended up with the 5 Pro for the materials and battery life. It's my third Galaxy Watch and these things are still too way bulky IMO. That aside, I'm wearing it at work and when exercising, getting ~2.5 days, with no major complaints but no high praise either. Not worth the money to upgrade from my GW3 if I had to pay full price, especially since it meant losing the bezel ring. The touch version sucks and absolutely does not replace the real thing. Also, my most used app, Gear Tracker, is now subscription-based on WearOS, but you get less features and worse layouts than the original, one-time payment Tizen version! Guess I can't blame Samsung for that one, though.

seravid fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 8, 2022

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just got an email on Pixel Watch preorder. I was a little surprised there wasn't much of a discount or perk added for preordering.
In Europe you get a free Pixel Buds Pro 2 with a 7 or a free watch with a 7 Pro. :sigh:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

minusX posted:

In Europe you get a free Pixel Buds Pro 2 with a 7 or a free watch with a 7 Pro. :sigh:

Right, but nothing for just pre-ordering the watch.

Also, in the US it's $200 google store credit for the 7 pro and $100 for the 7.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Got my Pixel 7 today, and transfered my Watch4 Classic over to it. Weirdly, the restore didn't trigger app downloads. So, I tried opening the Play Store. Failed to connect to wifi. Ok, go to the wifi settings, make sure that's connected, then go back to the Play Store. Now it's just a white screen with a cloud logo and a retry arrow. Restarted the watch, and now the Play Store just shows a blank white screen for a second or two before crashing. I guess I should just reset my watch again? But what the gently caress?

Edit: Lol of course it immediately started working when I post. A new question: I still have this dumb Galaxy Wear "Allow notifications for Galaxy Watch4 Manager" notification ok my phone. I've tapped it like half a dozen times and it's got the permissions it want. How do I make it go away?

hooah fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 13, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

Got my Pixel 7 today, and transfered my Watch4 Classic over to it. Weirdly, the restore didn't trigger app downloads. So, I tried opening the Play Store. Failed to connect to wifi. Ok, go to the wifi settings, make sure that's connected, then go back to the Play Store. Now it's just a white screen with a cloud logo and a retry arrow. Restarted the watch, and now the Play Store just shows a blank white screen for a second or two before crashing. I guess I should just reset my watch again? But what the gently caress?

I have Ticwatches, but one complaint I have about them is that they give no indication when they are running updates. You might give it a little time to see if the behavior resolves on its own before resetting it again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my pixel watch arrived. the box is bigger than the one my 7pro came in but there's no plastic in the packaging which is nice. it's smaller than i expected it to be, but i compared it to one of the watches i wear regularly and it's almost exactly the same size. the latching mechanism on the band is odd, especially how you tuck the slack underneath. the band that came installed is too long for my apparently slender wrists so i swapped to the other one and it's more comfortable. there is a second button above the crown for switching apps but it is difficult to press without having a finger on the other side of the watch to do a pinch motion

i turned it on and got a surprisingly loud chime and the vibration was good too. when it turned on it just showed a phone and a watch icon and i wasn't sure what it wanted but if you tap the screen it tells you to install the pixel watch app on your phone, which annoys me because i had my app drawer down to exactly 8 rows and now it is ruined. then you do the pairing which was straightforward. it then made me agree to some stuff including an arbitration agreement. the text made it sound like i didn't need to agree with it but when i picked "disagree" it rebooted the watch and i had to start over. i did that all over again and it had me set up a pin but it's limited to 4 digits which bugs me.

it ran me through the tutorial stuff which i'm sure i'm going to forget and also had me install the fitbit app on my phone. i bought the LTE version hoping that i could get google fi but it didn't give me the option to pick a provider different from what i'm using on my phone so i'll worry about that later.

i then decided i should put some stuff on the watch and figured authenticator would make perfect sense to have on a watch. i opened the watch app on my phone and it had a button to open the play store, how convenient! i searched for "google authenticator" and it brought me to the page for the phone app that i already have installed on my phone with no option to install it. i went to the play store on the watch and searched for it using voice search, which i hate, and it did not come up at all, so google never bothered to port it to wear. i can't think of anything else useful to have on the watch but maybe i'll figure something out after i wear it for a while

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got mine today and set it up.

I do like the design more in person than I did in renders which appears to be a common refrain. It really needs to be about 10% bigger though. It doesn't look SILLY on my wrist, but it's just smaller than I would prefer. I did order one of the leather bands with some other discounts I have, but it doesn't ship till the 1st week of November. I think with the lugs that it adds it will look a lot better on my wrist. The battery life for such a small size is still going to be an issue.

Setup was mostly smooth, but I couldn't get assistant to connect during the initial setup. After running all updates and rebooting, I was able to set it up after the fact.

My main annoyance is with Fitbit. To be clear, I like fitbit, I have a Charge 5 that I use while working out since I don't have to worry about banging it up or anything. So, my dream is to have fitbit on a Smartwatch that collects metrics during the day and this plop it on a charger and use my Charge 5 while doing my workout. So, in theory this is perfect.

Dream dashed though because FITBIT ONLY ALLOWS ONE DEVICE CONNECTED TO AN ACCOUNT AT A TIME. To be clear, it's not "one device connected to a phone" it's one device connected to ACCOUNT.

So, really, this is worse than having metrics fragmented because the Pixel Watch really assumes connectivity with Fitbit but when it is connected with Fitbit, my Charge 5 is pointless.

I can swap them out and it doesn't take terribly long, but it resets all preferences on the Fitbit (specifically workout shortcuts) so that's annoying to do on a daily basis. Then, if I wanted to use the Pixel Watch during workouts, I you can't edit the quick workout shortcuts on the tile. So, unless what you are doing is one of the three assigned there, you have to scroll until you find it.

None of this stuff is 100% a dealbreaker. But it's just so frustratingly close to being exactly what I want and it isn't quite there.

So, in summation:

Fitbit needs to fix their multiple device issue, but this is something people have been wanting for like 4 years and it hasn't been done yet.
Google needs to make a larger watch with a larger screen and battery.

I'm still not convinced this design is going to be all that durable. But we'll see.

I will say that performance is just fine, easily as fluid as the Galaxy Watch 5, so no real issues there. The screen looks really good too. Bright, punchy, sharp. The panel black level is well matched to the bezel so you really don't notice it in normal use.

There are reports that it works on the Galaxy Watch 5 charger. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that's accurate. It says it's charging, but I was actually losing charge when attached so it doesn't appear to actually be working.

Battery share is kinda pointless with the stock strap as it makes it stand up too far for connectivity.

I'm surprised no reviewer commented on the pogo connector pins that are hidden under the top watch band. I wonder if that's strictly diagnostics or if they have smart band accessories planned for the future.

I'll echo the reviewers, not a terribly first attempt and will probably be fine for a lot of people but it's also not very competitive with what's already out there at full MSRP.

Hopefully 2nd gen will be larger and they continue to flesh out the ecosystem and apps.

In other news, Fossil apparently will start rollout of WearOS3 on Gen 6 devices when they launch their next Gen 6 based device with WearOS3 from the factory. As with the Montblanc Summit, there is not initial Assistant support on WearOS 3 for that device at launch.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm surprised no reviewer commented on the pogo connector pins that are hidden under the top watch band. I wonder if that's strictly diagnostics or if they have smart band accessories planned for the future.
i read it in 9to5google's review

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i have google wallet (or pay? whatever it is) on my watch and i set up a card. does it work like my phone where i just keep it unlocked and boop it on the terminal or do i need to do something else first? i'm already gonna look like a douche doing it but would like to minimize that

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

On my watch4, you have to open the app.

Relatedly, I set home double press to open Wallet, but it frequently resets itself to open most recent app. Anyone else see this behavior?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I too have it set for double press on my Watch4/5 and it seems that updates keep resetting it back to recent apps which is kinda annoying as it catches me out if I try to use it when I'm out and about and then have to fumble in the app drawer to find it.

On the pixel watch, you can't assign a button shortcut, but there's a Google Wallet quick settings tile so all you need to do is turn the crown to bring down the Quick Settings panel and hit the button there to bring up wallet. I do not know if the Pixel Watch will use your default card if you don't have anything up as I just got it today and haven't left the house with it yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm curious - do the regular Google Fit apps work on the Pixel Watch or are you really railroaded to the Fitbit stuff?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

On the pixel watch, you can't assign a button shortcut
what's the point of this? i can put it on my watch face but it's gray and tapping it does nothing

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
Have a defective OLED on mine, had to talk to five support people before they agreed to email me in 24-48 hours about a replacement. For four hundred dollars I kind of expect the thing to work unfortunately, normally I'm not very picky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

what's the point of this? i can put it on my watch face but it's gray and tapping it does nothing

Do you have it setup yet? I haven't tried the complication yet.

Charging speed seems decent at least. I was at 65% and took it off to shower and picking it up 15 minutes later had it at 92%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Do you have it setup yet? I haven't tried the complication yet.
yeah i used it at the corner store but i used the quick settings button you mentioned to bring it up in advance