Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've been planning to replace my 17-year-old Mazda 6 with an EV in the next year or so. I had mostly settled on an Ioniq 5 (or 6, now that I've learned about it and would prefer a sedan-sized car anyway), but one of my stumbling blocks is I don't make enough money to get even half the value of the tax credit, so I was theorycrafting that I could pay for the house improvements my mom was withdrawing her retirement for while she buys the EV for me and gets the full tax credit. I didn't realize the Inflation Reduction Act was screwing around with the EV incentives, so my plans may have been mooted especially if the Ioniq doesn't qualify for the incentives anymore.
What I haven't been able to find is how the $7500 works with the bill. I saw a post earlier in the thread saying it could be applied at time of purchase instead of waiting for tax time, but what I couldn't find is if that means I don't have to actually pay $7500 in income taxes to take full advantage of the credit.
Is it just going to be a flat $7500 off a fully-qualified car, or is my income going to factor into it (beyond the caps which I don't remotely come close to)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the 35k msrp one does not have supercruise

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 35k msrp one does not have supercruise

Yes, it does.

Stop being wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Yes, it does.

Stop being wrong.

I stand corrected! GM shows net of incentives/offers but not tax credits on their website unlike some OEMs.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Because they don't have tax credits when it was setup/yet.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I too was confused by your response. So it’s a true hands free system for 35k that’s going to be a significant upgrade over typical LKA features. Hell if you wanted the base trim it would be even less, like 31k.

If I’m super lucky it will be delivered in 2023 and maybe I’ll get some tax credits to have in my back pocket next year

hobbez fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 11, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hobbez posted:

I too was confused by your response. So it’s a true hands free system for 35k that’s going to be a significant upgrade over typical LKA features. Hell if you wanted the base trim it would be even less, like 31k.

If I’m super lucky it will be delivered in 2023 and maybe I’ll get some tax credits to have in my back pocket next year

It is a true hands free system on certain highways only, mostly interstate highways, keep in mind. map here: https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/super-cruise

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pyroclastic posted:

What I haven't been able to find is how the $7500 works with the bill. I saw a post earlier in the thread saying it could be applied at time of purchase instead of waiting for tax time, but what I couldn't find is if that means I don't have to actually pay $7500 in income taxes to take full advantage of the credit.
Is it just going to be a flat $7500 off a fully-qualified car, or is my income going to factor into it (beyond the caps which I don't remotely come close to)?

The tax credit is going to be transferable to the dealer so you can opt to let them have it and they have to give you the money at time of sale as either "cash or in the form of a partial payment or down payment for the purchase". It also says that "the credit which would be allowed to such taxpayer with respect to such vehicle shall be allowed to the [dealer]", which makes me think that if you don't have a $7500 tax bill only what does apply to you gets transferred to the dealer. I could be reading that completely wrong though.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The Mazda compliance EVs are already on CarMax. Given that there are fewer than 600 of them, seeing (e: 5) of them for sale is not a shining recommendation.

This is of course to be expected; they have poo poo range + charging, bizarre doors, and are pretty small.

However, that does mean they are some of the cheapest basically new EVs - just no tax credit to offset the cost, which could be part of the reason they are there.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 12, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Saw a Volvo XC40 Recharge in person, honestly, if it hadn't been at a DC fast charger I would have had no idea that it was a EV. There is basically nothing that you can see at any distance to suggest that it is an EV which I think is an interesting take.

Pricing though, once you option it out to it's competitors levels I just could not justify spending another $10k.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Three Olives posted:

Saw a Volvo XC40 Recharge in person, honestly, if it hadn't been at a DC fast charger I would have had no idea that it was a EV. There is basically nothing that you can see at any distance to suggest that it is an EV which I think is an interesting take.

Pricing though, once you option it out to it's competitors levels I just could not justify spending another $10k.

Depending on the colour, the white ones with the white grille look very EV-ish. I see one around here pretty often.

I also don’t think they’re great value, they don’t do anything that a competitor doesn’t do better for less money. Not quite luxe enough. Tiny cargo space for the size of it. I would really be interested in an all ev xc90 but it would be mega bucks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Today must be “Everybody Talk to Endy About EVs Day”, my goodness

Three separate people during my work day talking about my car. Two of them were boomer coworkers trying goad me into saying it’s worse than gas, using the fun things like “well what’ll you do when it runs out of battery?” and “gas is still cheaper than electricity”. Which holy moly no it the gently caress isn’t, not here in Ohio coal country where I’m paying like 12 or 13 cents a kW.

And the third was the teen at Burger King who wanted to know how fast it was 😊

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Today must be “Everybody Talk to Endy About EVs Day”, my goodness

Three separate people during my work day talking about my car. Two of them were boomer coworkers trying goad me into saying it’s worse than gas, using the fun things like “well what’ll you do when it runs out of battery?” and “gas is still cheaper than electricity”. Which holy moly no it the gently caress isn’t, not here in Ohio coal country where I’m paying like 12 or 13 cents a kW.

And the third was the teen at Burger King who wanted to know how fast it was 😊

I don’t think gas is cheaper than electricity even in San Francisco or LA.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

“gas is still cheaper than electricity”. Which holy moly no it the gently caress isn’t, not here in Ohio coal country where I’m paying like 12 or 13 cents a kW.

I had some chud in a jacked up truck trot that one out. Got pretty annoyed when I told him my solar panels had the charging costs covered.

I still haven't used all of my 1000kwh EA credit from Kia.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Citizen Z posted:

I had some chud in a jacked up truck trot that one out. Got pretty annoyed when I told him my solar panels had the charging costs covered.

I still haven't used all of my 1000kwh EA credit from Kia.

Probably saw the FB moron that did the math assuming it takes 8 hours of DCFC to fill an EVs battery.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Traded the 3 in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I feel like there's an argument to be made about self-reliance when it comes to EVs and solar generation, but I don't know how to form that argument in a way that would land properly with the people I'd need to make it to.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Traded the 3 in.

You're in the car-of-the-month club aren't you.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I’ve had some dumber relatives post “here’s another load of EV fuel” with images of a coal train. “Hurr hurr so much for getting off fossil fuels.” They don’t have much response when I point out I’ve got solar panels plus my state is heavy into nuclear.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Putting a deposit down on a Rivian to take advantage of the tax credit before it expires is a bad idea, right?

It's just a bit too long to fit in the garage space I'd like it to go in. :sigh:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

cruft posted:

Another thing to bear in mind, if you care about such things, is that you wishing you could have an EV and things just not being set up for that to be feasible is itself helping the global situation. You're contributing to demand.

This is a really nice sentiment, thank you :unsmith:

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

cruft posted:

I feel like there's an argument to be made about self-reliance when it comes to EVs and solar generation, but I don't know how to form that argument in a way that would land properly with the people I'd need to make it to.

"Boy, I sure hate paying for gas and electricity. Don't you?"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

Putting a deposit down on a Rivian to take advantage of the tax credit before it expires is a bad idea, right?

It's just a bit too long to fit in the garage space I'd like it to go in. :sigh:

That's an odd way to spell Taycan Sport Turismo GTS.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I don’t think gas is cheaper than electricity even in San Francisco or LA.

I believe electricity rates have to hit about 60c/kWh to break even with $5/gal gasoline and even here in the Northern Sac Valley of CA where PG&E has a stranglehold, rates are a bit under 40c/kWh off-peak, so an EV only costs around 2/3 as much to fuel.

PG&E also raised their rates 20% this year due to huge expenses from causing the worst fires in California history and there’s no reason to assume they won’t do it again, so if gas falls back to the $4.50 range we could potentially hit electricity/gas price parity soon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm paying $20/day to commute instead of $1.50 driving a 25MPG gas truck instead of my Leaf.

When I get my Mach I'll be paying $0.00 per day to commute.

I get my Leaf back Monday and I'm so loving excited.

Would be more excited if Ford would build me my goddamn car.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 12, 2022

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I did a road trip for work and I feel kinda dirty expensing the 62 cents per mile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eyes Only posted:

I did a road trip for work and I feel kinda dirty expensing the 62 cents per mile.

Don’t tell anyone or we’ll get an email about how we’re not allowed to claim it if we drive an EV

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eyes Only posted:

Don't feel bad :sun:

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Tacier posted:

I believe electricity rates have to hit about 60c/kWh to break even with $5/gal gasoline and even here in the Northern Sac Valley of CA where PG&E has a stranglehold, rates are a bit under 40c/kWh off-peak, so an EV only costs around 2/3 as much to fuel.

PG&E also raised their rates 20% this year due to huge expenses from causing the worst fires in California history and there’s no reason to assume they won’t do it again, so if gas falls back to the $4.50 range we could potentially hit electricity/gas price parity soon.

Is there a reliable way to check price per kWh? I’m in Nj on pseg and I’ve scoured my account and bill and I never see the actual rate I’m being charged which is suspect is by design.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Traded the 3 in.

Wait, what? More info needed!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tacier posted:

rates are a bit under 40c/kWh off-peak

:wtc: I thought we had it bad in MA at ~ 25c/kWh average

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is there a reliable way to check price per kWh? I’m in Nj on pseg and I’ve scoured my account and bill and I never see the actual rate I’m being charged which is suspect is by design.

The rate you pay is mostly irrelevant because there are other things you also have to pay for.

I typically just take the entire electricity bill and divide it on the kWh used.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy poo poo, my winter electricity bills would be loving brutal at $0.40/kWh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We're looking at $0.80 per kWh this winter.

Even if the govt covers 90% above 8.75c it will still sting.

(Normal winter rates here are around 5-7c)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

Wait, what? More info needed!

I didn't really, it's just a loaner.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I didn't really, it's just a loaner.

I was going to say that’s a pretty aggressive wrap that it turned into a new car.

Evil_Greven posted:

The Mazda compliance EVs are already on CarMax. Given that there are fewer than 600 of them, seeing (e: 5) of them for sale is not a shining recommendation.

This is of course to be expected; they have poo poo range + charging, bizarre doors, and are pretty small.

However, that does mean they are some of the cheapest basically new EVs - just no tax credit to offset the cost, which could be part of the reason they are there.

My brain is broken because I like all the bad EVs, the i3 and this crappy mazda (aesthetics wise).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 12, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Eyes Only posted:

I'm planning a work road-trip in my EV BECAUSE I can expense at 62¢ a mile :getin:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So far I've only driven the S back from the service center but do these older (2016ish? it's a 75D) ones not apply the brake at stoplights? I looked for a setting to turn it on but didn't see it and it definitely likes to roll forward if you don't have your foot on the brake.

Also I panicked for a second when it had zero regen and rapidly realized they had charged it to 100%.

Also the center screen is very slow/non responsive compared to my 2022.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Just wanted to post a pic of my new ride. I love the way it drives but wish it had a little more cargo room. AWD Wind w/ tech.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Russian Bear posted:

My brain is broken because I like all the bad EVs, the i3 and this crappy mazda (aesthetics wise).

Same, I have a soft spot for crappy Mazdas though. I heard a rumor they want to put a rotary range extender in the next one.