Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Mr Teatime posted:

MkV armour owns.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm new to 30k and am planning to play in a small local campaign as I build out my force of Word Bearers. I have bits to make up to 20 despoilers with chainsword and pistol from the AoD Mk VI, but should I still plan to build some regular tacticals (maybe with chain bayonets)?. I'm building towards a pretty unsurprising but balanced Dark Brethren sort of list with gal vorbak, ashen circle, a support squad with warpfire plasma and a mara ghal all making appearances eventually so I'm trying to calibrate how many Line options I should build for as we get to full point games.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

parabolic posted:

I'm new to 30k and am planning to play in a small local campaign as I build out my force of Word Bearers. I have bits to make up to 20 despoilers with chainsword and pistol from the AoD Mk VI, but should I still plan to build some regular tacticals (maybe with chain bayonets)?. I'm building towards a pretty unsurprising but balanced Dark Brethren sort of list with gal vorbak, ashen circle, a support squad with warpfire plasma and a mara ghal all making appearances eventually so I'm trying to calibrate how many Line options I should build for as we get to full point games.

I ran a similar list in my local league, albeit with Assault instead of Despoilers. It made me a big believer in basic Tacticals - at low points levels, they're a lot of bodies for the cost and spit out a ton of firepower. Warpfire TSS also won a place in my heart. If you want to run Dark Brethren, though, I'd recommend finding space for a Lascannon HSS before 1k. Having the ability to pick a Rhino as a Sacrifice and get that first point of Favor real early is gonna go a long way.

Ashen Circle are in a weird spot. I love 'em but they really could have used some more Pinning support or just better action synchronization - using those fancy flamers was just asking to get the squad mulched with Return Fire by whatever they were about to charge. Torrent 6 lets you rack up a bunch of hits with them, though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Houston, we have a new guy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really love this one

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

I really love this one

The proto-Slaaneshi sword guard is a nice extra touch. This is a good model. Now start the timer until every 3D printing group has stls of that new combi volkite design up...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't even imagine this game without a printer. Just the shoulderpads would cost about a car payment.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I dont have a printer or easy access to one but I'm a very slow hobbyer so I hope things like plastic breachers and assault marines will be out when I finish what I already have :kiddo:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ristolaz posted:

I dont have a printer or easy access to one but I'm a very slow hobbyer so I hope things like plastic breachers and assault marines will be out when I finish what I already have :kiddo:

Likewise. It's doable, just a pain.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of plastic breachers and assault marines, do we have any hint on whether everything is going to be Mk6 going forward?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

moths posted:

I can't even imagine this game without a printer. Just the shoulderpads would cost about a car payment.

I need to either get two printers for bits and scenery or one really good one, but wither way it's more money than I can spare right now vs buying like one or two things from FW to finish my box.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Speaking of plastic breachers and assault marines, do we have any hint on whether everything is going to be Mk6 going forward?

Vagues clues that mk2 will be A Thing eventually.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

God drat this is good

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My friend has a semi-serious question (after reading how Horus fell after having a bad dream):
is there a primarch that doesn't do stupid poo poo?

I'm not really qualified to answer since I haven't read that many books. Sang? Vulcan? Rowboat?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I mean, doing stupid poo poo is kind of their thing, since the whole point of the Primarchs is that at heart they are as deeply flawed as ordinary humans.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Did Ferrus ever do anything overtly stupid? He kinda just loved making things, loved his brother, then died.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nazzadan posted:

Did Ferrus ever do anything overtly stupid? He kinda just loved making things, loved his brother, then died.

Hubris. He jumped into Istvann V way too early and paid for it with his life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

My friend has a semi-serious question (after reading how Horus fell after having a bad dream):

I'm not really qualified to answer since I haven't read that many books. Sang? Vulcan? Rowboat?

I think maybe the Khan?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Khan is kinda brilliant and insightful, Bobby G and Sanguinis don't really do anything dumb AFAIK.

The only stupid thing G did was trust the codex in a battle against the alpha legion, who also had a copy of his playbook.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Pinwiz11 posted:

Ah yeah, good point

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Fulgrim, don't kinkshame.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fulgrim really should have listened to those Eldar.

Magnus was also almost impossibly wrong about every single thing. There are no wolves on Fenris? You dumb bink, that planet is made out of wolves.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

There are no wolves on Fenris? You dumb bink, that planet is made out of wolves.

The thing about that is all the wolves on Fenris used to be people, every last one of them. They've all mutated into giant wolves because reasons :shrug:

moths posted:

Khan is kinda brilliant and insightful, Bobby G and Sanguinis don't really do anything dumb AFAIK.

The only stupid thing G did was trust the codex in a battle against the alpha legion, who also had a copy of his playbook.

The Khan alienated himself from his brothers, semi-intentionally, and it almost came back to bite him in the rear end more than once. No one knew whose side he was on, and while that gave him some freedom to decide for himself, it also meant that everyone considered him a potential enemy. His being a loner also caused some issues during the Siege of Terra, because Dorn (and everyone else, Loyalist and Traitor) struggled to account for what he would do, which sometimes resulted in brilliant counterpunches that saved the day, but also frequently resulted in the defenders not being able to rely on his men to be ordered to where they were most needed.

Bobby G's big issue is that he was an arrogant prick, and was so fixated on his duty that he overlooked a lot of the human element of his interactions with others. While there were some Primarchs that straight up loved him for his dependability, others couldn't stand him because he was pitiless and bereft of affection. He pounded Monarchia into the dust on the Emperor's orders, and couldn't imagine Lorgar and the Word Bearers would hold a grudge against him because he was right, they were wrong, and dad told him to do it, so it was fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Which led to him getting sucker punched in a rather unsubtle attack.

Sanguinius' big screw-up was that he was too hopeful, too trusting, and too idealistic. He told Horus his deepest darkest secret; that the Blood Angels had a fundamental flaw that reduced them to ravening madmen, and could only be cured with a bolt round to the head, and Horus used that to manipulate him. Sanguinius could not imagine Horus ever betraying him, so when Horus sent him and the entire legion to Signus, at the far edge of the galaxy, to find a miracle cure for the Red Thirst, it all went tits up in an obvious trap, but he still insisted that it couldn't have been Horus. This left him and his legion badly wounded, and stranded at the far edges of Imperial space for a good chunk of the war.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 11, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ya, but they're wolves now so Magnus is still a dumbass.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

moths posted:

Magnus is a dumbass.

Agreed.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only flawless primarch is Curze

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What about Dorn and Vulcan?

Tangentially, another friend is arguing that UM and IF aren't that different, to the point where there's no real difference in what their archetypical forces would fluffily be.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pinwiz11 posted:

He let his anger get the better of him, but otherwise didn't do much dumb poo poo. He probably coulda hugged Fulgrim more I guess

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

What about Dorn

Pert built a fortress labelled "trap" and said "neener neener can't catch me" and Dorn promptly marched his boys inside.

He sounds pretty cool in the HH novels but he clearly gets hit in the head too much or has really crippling ptsd loving his decision making afterwards.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

JcDent posted:

What about Dorn and Vulcan?

Tangentially, another friend is arguing that UM and IF aren't that different, to the point where there's no real difference in what their archetypical forces would fluffily be.

Vulkan let Nick Kyme write the books for his legion.

Dorn's big fuckup is that he turned left instead of right in the Vengeful Spirit, and let Sanguinius and Emps get wrecked. He also let Rawbutt talk him into accepting the Codex Astartes, then blundered into the Iron Cage.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Vagues clues that mk2 will be A Thing eventually.

Oh yeah, I was wondering what the deal was with that guy on the vehicle sprue.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bobby G's big issue is that he's a giant blue marry sue

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Angron is the only innocent primarch. He had the nails to cause his dumb bullshit, probably would've died if they were removed, and the emperor chose violence every time. I would like to see some GW led warp fuckery/alternate future where Angron didn't get nailed to really bring home the tragedy.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Vulkan let Nick Kyme write the books for his legion.

Dorn's big fuckup is that he turned left instead of right in the Vengeful Spirit, and let Sanguinius and Emps get wrecked. He also let Rawbutt talk him into accepting the Codex Astartes, then blundered into the Iron Cage.

A fate worse than death. Kyme is so consistently awful. Anything he touches is absolute garbage, it's a impressive talent to get paid to make it instead of the far easier getting bribed to stop ruining things.

Dorn didn't blunder in, he went in because his masochistic streak was going hot after dad died.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Angron is the only innocent primarch. He had the nails to cause his dumb bullshit, probably would've died if they were removed, and the emperor chose violence every time. I would like to see some GW led warp fuckery/alternate future where Angron didn't get nailed to really bring home the tragedy.

Agreed, although Logar's plan/betrayal just put another layer of suck to Angron's life.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Eediot Jedi posted:

Dorn didn't blunder in, he went in because his masochistic streak was going hot after dad died.

Dorn had to get his Legion divided up into chapters at the time and really didn't want to do the paper work for more than like three

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Dorn made the Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists Codex-compliant, then got sick of doing that and told Sigismund to deal with the other 20. Sigismund just said "sure thing" and ran off to kill poo poo before anyone noticed where the rest of the legion had gone.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
So, ive painted up 10 breachers, with a few weapon options, 40 tacticals, 3 termites, one robot with shield and bonk hammer and some HQ options

working on 10 havocs with Lascannons, 10 tyrant terminators, 10 magnetised arm cataphactii,

waiting for assembly is the AOD box, a krytos a deimos rhino, and i have 5 more bonkhammer robots on the way

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really hadn't realized how much of the post 30k setting is Bobby G forcing the rest of the legions to adopt his book and those legions cucking themselves over by doing it

Shoulda fought over it, woulda made a more interesting story

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hmm yes more in-fighting after a devastating civil war, very smart and big brained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ijyt posted:

hmm yes more in-fighting after a devastating civil war, very smart and big brained

I'm not here for big brained political maneuvering, I'm here for oversized toddlers having tantrums that break planets and sometimes whole empires.