Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

Taki has what I assume is a prototype RP3, though all he's shown of it so far is that it's a 16:9 screen and will run PS2 games pretty well so it's looking like it'll be a hell of a system if they can get the price right.

Declan MacManus posted:

big grain of salt for anything taki + retroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Start and/or Select on the top of a device instead of the face would instantly be a no-buy from me. With the amount of use they get, that's a hard pass.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Harlock posted:

Apparently RP3 pre-orders are starting now. I've been on the fence about an RP2+ because I wanted a bigger screen. Is there any other machines coming out worth waiting for? The downside seems if it's just an RP2+ again, it might not have as much power as other machines coming to market in late 2022.

It is absolutely just an RP2+ in a different case with a bigger screen. If you never want to play anything higher than PS1/N64/Dreamcast/Saturn you'll enjoy it.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Preordered a RP3 even though I have a RP2+. Apparently, I have no self control, but I wanted the 2 analog sticks with L3/R3…

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'm starting to settle into the RG353P and I think it's pretty great. I have to add a bunch more stuff and tweak settings, but it rules having like thousands of games at my disposal. I got a short mini HDMI to female HDMI cable coming soon. That way I don't have to wear out the port quite as much, it I want to play on tv. it's all kept me busy recovering from surgery, at least.

Installing JelOS was pretty easy as was formatting the cards. Most systems seem to work great, from what I have tested. I did try a couple N64 games and met some crackling and stutters but I have no idea why. I also need some kinda case. I put it in a sock so it's not just rattling around with my keys in my purse.

The way I understand things, I can't use Bluetooth headphones if I'm in JelOS, which sucks. Or the touchscreen. So that's not super cool. I've gotten somewhat used to the lovely plastic and realize that it's not THE shittiest plastic, it's at least a couple steps up.

One quick question though. Rom sorting. Would be nice to get rid of at least some of the retro roms, like SNES, Gameboy, gba, etc. Every little program and tool I have seen seems way outside my skill set, asking to create arguments and whatnot. I could barely set the thing up, let alone write a little code to tell a program to get rid of all Spanish roms, or all Rugrats Gameboy games, or whatever. Anyone have general tips for sorting roms? I'd like to end up with just a (U) and maybe a (JAP), but I know there are always exceptions.

I haven't figured out how to see the titles in full rather than have them truncated on the game selection screen, so having some full no-intro sets makes the process of picking a game unnecessarily challenging. Ok anyway it's a fun little Gameboy thing thanks for reaidng

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Retroid Pocket 3 is very tempting but I literally just bought an RG351MP from SA-Mart and I don’t really intend to play anything over PS1 anyway 🤷‍♂️

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Wilkins Micawber posted:

One quick question though. Rom sorting. Would be nice to get rid of at least some of the retro roms, like SNES, Gameboy, gba, etc. Every little program and tool I have seen seems way outside my skill set, asking to create arguments and whatnot. I could barely set the thing up, let alone write a little code to tell a program to get rid of all Spanish roms, or all Rugrats Gameboy games, or whatever. Anyone have general tips for sorting roms? I'd like to end up with just a (U) and maybe a (JAP), but I know there are always exceptions.

I haven't figured out how to see the titles in full rather than have them truncated on the game selection screen, so having some full no-intro sets makes the process of picking a game unnecessarily challenging. Ok anyway it's a fun little Gameboy thing thanks for reaidng

It's easiest to turn off the device, pop out the micro SD, then pop it into a computer via a port or adapter. Then just do a search for [U] and only keep those, or search for the tags you want to remove. Then eject and reinsert, use Jelos to re-game-findify or whatever in the menu, and presto.

You can also use Thememaster to download more themes, then test them for how they display titles. Use a scraper (easy to sign up for the French one, which is tops, on a PC) to pull the Metadata and box covers etc. Then it'll look nice! And easy to browse.

And of course, it's worth it to make your own romsets/library. It's painstaking and tedious (or fiddly-fun if you're a broke-brained librarian like me) but it's the best way to save time when using the handheld. I've got under 20 games for each console, and try to keep it tight

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Retroid Pocket 3 is very tempting but I literally just bought an RG351MP from SA-Mart and I don’t really intend to play anything over PS1 anyway 🤷‍♂️

Ok well just imagine this.

PS1 at 2x resolution !

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I bought a micro hdmi for my RP2+, and it looks great, but I can’t figure out a way to get my controller running. I’m using a wired xbone controller with a USB to USB-C converter, and it’s not responsive at all. Any suggestions?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I bought a micro hdmi for my RP2+, and it looks great, but I can’t figure out a way to get my controller running. I’m using a wired xbone controller with a USB to USB-C converter, and it’s not responsive at all. Any suggestions?

Good luck with that. The XBox Series controllers are hit or miss on anything not an XBox or Windows. The drivers are different and can be flaky if it even works at all. You’d have better luck with the older style XBox One controller or an 8Bitdo or something.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

already a couple people having issues with screens on the new Odin, yikes.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Photex posted:

It’s really really impressive to watch Ayn burn every ounce of good will they got from the high praise of the Odin on launch. And with the knowledge that I’ll get a Steam Deck before the end of the year most of the high end handhelds aren’t even on my radar at this point.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Vegastar posted:

It’s really really impressive to watch Ayn burn every ounce of good will they got from the high praise of the Odin on launch. And with the knowledge that I’ll get a Steam Deck before the end of the year most of the high end handhelds aren’t even on my radar at this point.

If the neo air was $50-100 less I'd pick one up over the steamdeck just because I don't want a honking chonking console in my bag

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Photex posted:

I'm shocked that a brand new company promising the world for cheap is having trouble delivering.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Retroid did it successfully, and for half the price

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right device to come about, but if I'm being honest I'm fine with more 3rd party devices not trying to match the steam deck or switch for size.

I've got a switch, play a lot on it, but I'm still partial to smaller systems too.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Early reviews of the Aya Neo Air have been coming out on YouTube recently, and to me this is absolutely the perfect device.

But the Pro set me back $700 with shipping, and the battery life is of course terrible as is inevitable of an x86 in a small form-factor. So, you know.

Cheap, quality, or timely, pick one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwSXtweQlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2GOrsjloM

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 8, 2022

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'd definitely like to see a revision of the Aya Neo Air at some point with a newer processor as the screen and form factor would definitely make it useful as a complement to the Steam Deck in some situations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Analogue Pocket got its 1.1 beta firmware release alongside openFPGA. openFPGA essentially answers the needs for a jailbreak, but directly built in the firmware itself. It makes the Pocket function like a Mister; choose the core, choose the game you wanna load, boom.

Someone has already made the cores for the main consoles the Pocket supports without an adapter (GB/GBC and GBA) https://github.com/spiritualized1997 and it supports rumble if you slot in a DS rumble pak.

Game Gear, Master System, and SG-1000 cores dropped today, available at the same repo.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
:sickos:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Great. So I have a spare 256gb card and now the wait is more painful. I’m also itching for the new analogue turbo duo which I am sure I can have in hand before my polymega shows up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Decided to wait a spell on the retroid3 and see what the hands on reports sound like. If it’s dramatically improved over the 2+, I’ll definitely jump in the next wave of orders.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I see a grey wall and I want it painted grey

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

I see a grey wall and I want it painted grey

No more will my green sea
Go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing
Yabba Dabba Doo

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

God I want an Aya Neo Air so bad, they really nailed the aesthetic and build quality according to all the reviews, waiting for a few more emu reviews and I might pull the trigger on one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

God I want an Aya Neo Air so bad, they really nailed the aesthetic and build quality according to all the reviews, waiting for a few more emu reviews and I might pull the trigger on one.

Ooof but only about an hour (ish) if battery life on the more demanding stuff.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, the Pro models have a much more reasonable battery size. It's very clear where they compromised to make it that thin.

I must admit, with the raves about the controls, even though I have a Steam Deck I'm still tempted by the 5825 depending on emulation performance. Maybe I should wait until there's one out that can definitely run Street Fighter 6; I don't like the dpad on the Deck at all for fighting games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Go turn a deeper blue
Yabba Dabba Doo

Lmao

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Go turn a deeper blue
Yabba Dabba Doo

:golfclap:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m replaying Sonic and Knuckles for the first time since the 90s on my RG351V and this music loving slaps.

I had to pause and get my AKG studio headphones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flavor.flv posted:

Retroid was not a brand new company when the RP2+ came out. Their first product sucked and their second one had shipping issues for quite some time. It was only with their third major release that they (mostly) got their poo poo together, and they re-used a bunch of parts to do so.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

I’m replaying Sonic and Knuckles for the first time since the 90s on my RG351V and this music loving slaps.

I did the exact same thing yesterday (started s&k yesterday) and my partner, who hadn't played since childhood, was similarly impressed. Music slaps, even emulated

I'm heavily considering switching my firmware/OS back to stock from jelOS. Does anyone know, is it easy to set up a shell/launcher on Android? My device is dualboot Linux and Android (RG353P) and I have been dissatisfied with the software, mostly.

I could give a pros and cons list a mile wide between the stock linux, jelOS, and android. Maybe I can boil it down a bit:

--Stock Linux - Pros: good/great performance on most things up to Saturn/DC. Internet works. Looks nice. Supports more systems? Cons: no touchscreen (limitation of Linux I think) or Bluetooth audio. Not sure if a 2nd controller will work over Bluetooth

--jelOS: Pros: Mixed performance, but better for Saturn, Dreamcast and up, I think. Easy to use. Cons: internet won't work so I can't update anything, no touchscreen or bluetooth. Can't recognize another controller once game launches

--android: Pros: Internet works. Bluetooth audio and controllers work. Touchscreen works. Cons: Not sure how to launch games lol. Doesn't seem to recognize SD card (asks to format). Saturn emulator crashes.

I think I'm feeling the pain when people say these devices can sorta do it all, but each one is better at one thing or another, so they wind up owning several of them. I'm hoping either Anbernic or the jelOS folks do some fixes. Anyway, any recommendations for an Android launcher? Sorry if this was long

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Photex posted:

The 1080p screen doesn't make sense to me though. It's not an integer scale of retro (240p) systems or the GBA. And it's too high of a resolution for modern games unless you render at sub-native (540p) and FSR upscale.

There's a reason the Switch and the Deck both use screens in the 720-800p range at 7".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s 1080p because it’s an off the shelf part. Good luck finding a 720p 5.5 inch OLED.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

It’s 1080p because it’s an off the shelf part. Good luck finding a 720p 5.5 inch OLED.

*Looks under bed* Found one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anbernic's shown off their next device, the RG505 which seems to be them returning to the classic RG350 style body though with new internals(and apparently using Android rather than Linux);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECqi11cNtvo

if the price is right this might end up being a decent mid range handheld, but it's hard to tell with Anbernic these days if they'll actually make something people will want

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The chip inside is the same chip that's been in the Powkiddy X18S for years now, so we know exactly what it's capable of and people know the chip. Powkiddy are also doing their own refresh of the X18 with the X28 which in my opinion is ugly as sin but you know, Powkiddy things. The chip is capable of PSP stuff though, so at least Anbernic using the PS Vita OLED in the 505 makes more sense than it did in the 503.

Someone should make another good clamshell handheld so the X18 isn't the only half decent one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

Anbernic's shown off their next device, the RG505 which seems to be them returning to the classic RG350 style body though with new internals(and apparently using Android rather than Linux);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECqi11cNtvo

if the price is right this might end up being a decent mid range handheld, but it's hard to tell with Anbernic these days if they'll actually make something people will want
Looks like the Retroid Pocket 3 on the outside, but if it's got the Powkiddy X18S internals then it should be a bit faster with the same UNISOC Tiger chipset with a slightly faster clock, double the cores, and more RAM.

flavor.flv posted:

sethsez posted:

Retroid was not a brand new company when the RP2+ came out. Their first product sucked and their second one had shipping issues for quite some time. It was only with their third major release that they (mostly) got their poo poo together, and they re-used a bunch of parts to do so.
It's highly amusing that Retroid went from a dashcam and backup camera electronics manufacturer to a major player in the retro portable market in just 3 short revisions that made major leaps over each other:

Retroid Pocket 1: Terrible
Retroid Pocket 2: Okay
Retroid Pocket 2+: Good
Retroid Pocket 3: Same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So are they selling a 3+ or 2+ on this page? The specs dropdown is Confusing.