Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I believe that was fixed in PR.

It no longer bypasses immunities but Intangir is vulnerable to Stop which will always hit while it's invisible. Stop it and beat it to death with your best NON ELEMENTAL means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah, screw the Stranger of Paradise DLC for now, I'm gonna do a regular Chaos run for practice and materials. I obviously need the extra boosts.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Speaking of VI Cid and his dumb hat, I always thought he was wearing one of those duck towels you give little kids, but in Adult Scientist size

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Speaking of VI Cid and his dumb hat, I always thought he was wearing one of those duck towels you give little kids, but in Adult Scientist size

I'm confused, why did you post a picture of Vincent Valentine?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

You mean he's not?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Third Seymour fight and he's getting more Final Fantasy Boss in appearance.

Also goddamn what a pain in the rear end

Also FF seems to really like nihilistic antagonists (Seymour, Zenos, Barthandelus, etc)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 12, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What is 6 Cid wearing? Is it just a stupid raincoat and a trucker hat?

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

6PR: I'm guessing there's no sensible way of killing Intangir outside of running away from him once, then meeting him on the Veldt much later on.

Rasp him to death. He won't counter it and it won't remove his invisibility. Incredibly slow but 100% safe.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't have enough HP to survive Cross Cleave without Protect, and even then it's just barely. Perhaps I should grind more AP?

He murdered all the cats, a bad, bad man

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 12, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What is 6 Cid wearing? Is it just a stupid raincoat and a trucker hat?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mega64 posted:

At least 6Cid cares for Celes and has some regret for what he did. Likewise, 7Cid is bitter at his girlfriend but he does genuinely care about her enough to save her life, plus he does actually change over time.

7Cid really chills out once you take the rocket into space for the Huge Materia and the oxygen tank Shera had been running extra checks on explodes, and he realizes "Oh poo poo, she was actually right about the tank malfunctioning."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Rasp him to death. He won't counter it and it won't remove his invisibility. Incredibly slow but 100% safe.

He stills counter that.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

OK, grinding may not be necessary. Got Seymour Flux pretty low, then died to Total Annihilation. If I can make sure Kimahri has his Overdrive ready at that point, though, I can Mighty Guard it and I think I'll survive.

Gonna call it a night for now, though. I wonder if I can finish the game by the end of the weekend.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

youre not fooling me that's gogo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FrostyPox posted:

OK, grinding may not be necessary. Got Seymour Flux pretty low, then died to Total Annihilation. If I can make sure Kimahri has his Overdrive ready at that point, though, I can Mighty Guard it and I think I'll survive.

Gonna call it a night for now, though. I wonder if I can finish the game by the end of the weekend.

If Kimahri isn't one of your main damage dealers, you can always keep him off the field until you need mighty guard. Pop him out before TA, eat poo poo, then bring back whoever you switched out. Also some tips if you don't mind cheesiness:

Use Poison on him, and whack him with Wakka's Silence Buster every chance you get. Seymour will basically never actually take his turn but will still get hurt by poison. At that point Morty is all you have to deal with. Watch Wakka's MP though because silence Buster is heavy.

I spent like 20 drat years without beating FFX because I thought Seymour Flux was impossible, then completely and utterly shamed him when I played the HD version recently

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of my recent playthrough:

Please shoot me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

What the gently caress lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was constantly paranoid of undershooting so I just... Kept going

When I finally got hit I was pretty sure I got like 195 at most

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIII Cid is indeed the worst Cid because he's extremely boring and unlikable but the story expects us to like him.

FFVIII has not an inkling of the ideas it throws around and showcases because why Cid is a horrible person is readily apparent if hey had ever just thought about things deeper than "wow, cool floating military high school."

But at the same time, I guess they kinda do...? I was watching a VIII LP just yesterday where they did the orpahange scene. Quistis is all like "Headmaster Cid would NEVER do this to us!" (referring to GF brain damage) but then she just accepts he did this all knowingly and our heroes are like "i will keep destroying my mind for power" and that is that.

FFVIII is a hosed up game.

I always wondered exactly how much Cid knew or suspected about Edea's plan.

Expand their tiny school house orphanage into a pan-continental organization? Sounds good. Turn it into a quasi-military academy? Well, the plan was to have these kids be able to fight against sorceresses, so that makes some sense. Hire out graduates to state governments as mercenaries to fund Garden? Dubiously ethical, but since this plan is supposed to be pretty important so I guess he can look the other way. Use unstudied tech from the isolated mad science country to "junction" moon monsters to the students to boost their combat abilities and drat the side effects? Again, Edea, his wife, the literal magic sorceress, felt this was very important (possibly critical to the future even!) and I guess she would know and anyways it makes the bean counters happy so whatever. Now the orphan child super-soldier mercenaries he trained are supposed to assassinate Edea, the person whose plan this all was in the first place, and who is now the new ruler of an expansionist military dictatorship.

This is when he finally decides to exit the plot.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 12, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

Holy poo poo bro are you okay

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

Hell no, you'd probably dodge it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

I don't have enough HP to survive Cross Cleave without Protect, and even then it's just barely. Perhaps I should grind more AP?

He murdered all the cats, a bad, bad man

Try casting Cheer and Focus for the damage reduction. It stacks up to 5 times and they're not counted as status effects so Seymour's Dispel won't remove them.

This is also useful for bosses down the line who also have Dispel and hit like a truck.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Danaru posted:

I was constantly paranoid of undershooting so I just... Kept going

When I finally got hit I was pretty sure I got like 195 at most
Geez.

All I did was go in a few increments of five minutes. Dodge bolts, check progress, rest, dodge bolt, check progress, rest.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

Do you even get anything for going beyond 200?

Edit: missed your second post

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

:staredog:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

Jesus Christ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cid 6's outfit is supposed to be a Biohazard suit. Why it is all he wears is a mystery.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So Lahabrea was just always an rear end in a top hat huh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Danaru posted:

Please shoot me

oh my god

I'm so sorry

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He stills counter that.

Oh? Sorry for the bad advice then... when I played the PR around release that's how I did it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's funny that the most powerful ability in FFX is to cheer up your buds, which tracks as Sin is basically a big ol' Hopelessness Applicator

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for all the tips. Turns out four Summons using Overdrives + Bio from Lulu + Dispel from Yuna + Mighty Guard from Kimari + just wailing on him a couple times did the trick pretty easily

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In addition to nihilistic big bads, FF likes bad dads/father figures, eh? Varro in FFXIV, Cid in FFXII, Jecht in FFX, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Though there's good dads/father figures, like Gaius (who has some, uh, problems, but he seemed to genuinely care about those kids), Sahz, Braska doesn't seem like a bad guy.....

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Fantasy has a proud tradition of bad dads and dead moms.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

In addition to nihilistic big bads, FF likes bad dads/father figures, eh? Varro in FFXIV, Cid in FFXII, Jecht in FFX, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Though there's good dads/father figures, like Gaius (who has some, uh, problems, but he seemed to genuinely care about those kids), Sahz, Braska doesn't seem like a bad guy.....

Bad dads: Shadow, Tellah, Hojo, Rachel's dad in ff6, Dyne, Klu Ya, Cecil, FF4 Cid, FFX Cid (those baby names!), Barret, Maduin, Taban (if you count Chrono Trigger.)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

No, Tidus, you are the dreams

And then Tidus was a pyrefly

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Braska dumped his kid to go on a road trip with the most uptight samurai and the human embodiment of semi-functional alcoholism. His intentions were noble but as a dad he did a fairly poo poo job

I still want a Final Fantasy X-0 where you get to play as Dad Squad :smith: (Auron counts as a dad in spirit)

E: oh, add Jyscal to the lovely dad list. "Hey I know I raised a dogshit genocidal son but like, I'm just gonna let him kill me and usurp my positions. He'll be your guys' mess to clean up"

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 13, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Taban is not a bad dad, guy is very supportive of his daughter and does everything he can to help her succeed.

He is a bad husband, however.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm trying to remember some more dads, but as is the standard most FF characters have no living parents.

Bartz had a good dad, was willing to stay behind on an alien world to make sure Exdeath didn't escape, and also taught Bartz some old tricks for beating up elderly werewolves. But much like Taban, while he was a good dad he was a bad husband.

Lenna and Faris' dad got possessed by Exdeath, but that probably shouldn't be held against him. Taking his very young daughter on dangerous trips probably should though, since it caused Faris to get separated from her dad. King Tycoon did spend a lot of time looking for medicine for the queen though, so I guess he's the opposite of Taban/Dorgann and was a good husband, bad dad.

Galuf is old enough that his parents could well have died of natural causes, so we know nothing about them. Galuf is a good guy though so his dad probably raised him right. We also don't know how Galuf was as a dad either, in a rare instance of a FF dad having their kids die, instead of dying themselves. This means we also don't know whether Krile's dad was good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, the final act of FF5 really makes one question whether or not Galuf and friends actually died