Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I just run to the nearest bonfire for the fight cause I always lose anyway. Sometimes I just jump off a ledge if they take too long, I hate pvp in souls games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like being invaded if the invader isn’t a time wasting dick that wants me to kill myself out of frustration. Just come at me

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I just run to the nearest bonfire for the fight cause I always lose anyway. Sometimes I just jump off a ledge if they take too long, I hate pvp in souls games

Man I lose 90% of the time as an invader, it's not like its about k/d ratios or anything

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's probably biased since the people most interested in PvP are likely to be gud at the game (or use cheese builds), while good players generally don't summon unless playing with friends/use a tongue on purpose so I'd guess that's why it feels like that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tolth posted:

Given you described the person as "absolutely ridiculous", a "goober", and a "weirdo" and maintained a condescending tone towards them throughout the whole post, I don't think it's very hard to get a negative read on it.

You know, that's a fair enough observation. It was the fact that they were apparently content to repeatedly do the same thing without success that made the whole encounter feel so odd to me in the first place, though! We continued progressing, collecting items, and reaching shortcuts and Graces, interspersed with briefly exciting PvP scuffles that always ended with the invader running out of pots and fleeing to eat defensive consumables (after getting damaged??) and heal up. It was like a Monty Python skit or something, just this exercise in futility that went nowhere forever.

We did consider a cannonball run to the boss door, but we had originally intended to leave that for another evening, and by then it was late enough that we ultimately decided to call it a night. So it all amounted to absolutely nothing, which I thought was a funny capstone to the whole affair. I'm sure the Boggart family education fund appreciated it, though :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't even like invading people but it's fun using taunter's tongue in dungeons to get random invasions and being hunted down by the scary red man whilst doing PvE, it's a really novel experience I've not seen in any other game

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I don't even like invading people but it's fun using taunter's tongue in dungeons to get random invasions and being hunted down by the scary red man whilst doing PvE, it's a really novel experience I've not seen in any other game

I've been meaning to buy the new sniper elite game just because I heard they put in souls style invasions, so at least one other game is finally doing it

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Populon posted:

I've been meaning to buy the new sniper elite game just because I heard they put in souls style invasions, so at least one other game is finally doing it

Its on gamepass if you have that. But its pretty fun either way. The coop horde mode scratched an itch I didnt realize I had. The only thing odd about it is this weird "nazis" are people too thing it kinda pulls but you can just ignore that and shoot them all in the balls.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally got off my butt after all the problems and played for a bit more. Went up the Atlus Plateau, met Goldmask, met the Dung Eater, got the Great Stars and went to Mt Gelmir since I need to get the item for Boc's quest. I also found a message telling me to follow the rainbow stones! Surely that won't lead to anything bad.

Oh, I also finally teleported to Mogh's place... 11000 runes per arrow next to a site of grace :getin: Too bad I'm a terrible shot and waste more than that :v:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally got off my butt after all the problems and played for a bit more. Went up the Atlus Plateau, met Goldmask, met the Dung Eater, got the Great Stars and went to Mt Gelmir since I need to get the item for Boc's quest. I also found a message telling me to follow the rainbow stones! Surely that won't lead to anything bad.

Oh, I also finally teleported to Mogh's place... 11000 runes per arrow next to a site of grace :getin: Too bad I'm a terrible shot and waste more than that :v:

Put on the golden scarab and you get 13k and change!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Populon posted:

Man I lose 90% of the time as an invader, it's not like its about k/d ratios or anything

yeah but its not fun for me so gently caress it

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I once played hide and seek with an invader in DS3 for an hour and a half before I had to turn the game off and go to bed. Tryhard twink invaders deserve nothing less than walking past you disguised as a box 3 times before getting a disconnect. Gimmick builds mucking about and throwing poo at you for two hours is fun. I guarantee the two of you could have gone full nude fist fight with the invader and they'd probably oblige. But when hosts bundle up in a safe space when they have every advantage in the situation is always just sad.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen people get their invasion message and just panic run with their RoB partner to the grace site out in the open and just expect me to walk into a suicidal position. Like, maybe just try a little?

Best PvP is in the catacombs with traps. Traps don't discriminate. Everyone thinks they can dance around them juuust right.

Edit: also I'm loving this near and far add to the summon pools. I got pulled all the way to mini-Mohg from the final boss hallway. It can be a bit jarring being summoned but not knowing what to expect.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2022

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Finally stumbled across the Rivers of Blood invasion dude, up by the fire giant. I really liked how he not only dodged my Taker’s Flames, he actively punished me for it. So, I did what I did with Alecto - I spammed Waves of Darkness. The AI is smart enough to interpret your initial ground strike as an attack and dodge it, but at least one of the three waves will subsequently catch and stagger them. And that’s all you need to keep using it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

War Wizard posted:

Can't tell you how many times I've seen people get their invasion message and just panic run with their RoB partner to the grace site out in the open and just expect me to walk into a suicidal position. Like, maybe just try a little?

This thinking is exactly why the host didn't attack the invader when it was an obvious trap. It does go both ways.

As has been said many times in the thread, the way one player plays doesn't have to dictate how others do. Most of the time that's applied to unga bunga vs dex dancer vs sorcery nerd. But also applies to how people react to invasion.

Except RoB mains pre nerf. gently caress those people

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Before my ER replay I'm playing thru all the other Souls titles again and the servers still being offline (on PC) is a real drag, especially with DS3. The asymmetrical PVP and coop adds so much to the replay experience. There's been some dev activity on the backend of Steam for DS3 so hopefully that will be back online soon. Invaders add so much variety to replays it's practically a necessity at this point. Plus the great way it was handled diageticaly, like most other mechanics in the series. Evil spirits are coming for you when they get a whiff of your Humanity, to steal that as well as your souls. And players get to be those evil spirits. No multiplayer menu, just a lote integrated version of sandbox PVP. Brilliant.

Speaking of diagetics, something I wish they would have revamped here in Elden Ring is the fog doors. The only game they had an explanation in was Demon's Souls, andd on top of that it wasn't always a guarantee that there was going to be a boss behind it. So there was always a bit of tension when deciding to pass through one on your first playthrough. It became kind of a vestigial element in the Dark Souls games, but at least "Souls" as a story concept kind of made sense for it. In Elden Ring they're still there, but now just colored gold. Haha. I do love ER but my biggest critique of it is definitely the reuse of concepts from previous games that we've seen so many times now, especially in cases like that where there really isn't any kind of reasonable explanation.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

This thinking is exactly why the host didn't attack the invader when it was an obvious trap. It does go both ways.

What? No, they continued to go elsewhere and collect stuff and open shortcuts like they said. Hosts not chasing an invader down and continuing is different then hosts refusing to advance at all until the invader shows themselves and dies to their obvious advantage. Hell, I'd accept hosts playing hide and seek over just waiting at the dungeon start with their gank squad.

Actually, on one occasion the host was so terrified of the invasion they didn't advance at all for so long the co-op buddy just left from boredom. They could have came at me 2v1 but instead chose to be bored and still died. :shrug:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The fog is gamer stink from bottlenecking and repeated dying in the boss area

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

"Hahaha how funny Patches, too bad I can just teleport out! But I'll explore a bit since I'm here... huh, weird poison time to heal- what do you mean Flame Cleanse Me doesn't heal it? What do you mean it's insta-death!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN I DIE IF I GO BACK DOWN!!?"

You win this time, Patches, but I want your ability to throw down without taking fall damage.

Also I think I got lost, went from the First Campfire to the Ninth one and found a boss who I did no damage. I think this might not be the way to the hidden village...

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also I think I got lost, went from the First Campfire to the Ninth one and found a boss who I did no damage. I think this might not be the way to the hidden village...

Was it a rodeo bug? Then no. Patches was just trying to help out by putting you on the proper path. Probably.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just found out about the patch, the buff to rolling seems like a pretty huge deal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2s0VJIHVg

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 11, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dyz posted:

The fact that you think that anecdote was whining says a lot.

yeah, it says i have two working eyes and basic literacy skills

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

War Wizard posted:

I once played hide and seek with an invader in DS3 for an hour and a half before I had to turn the game off and go to bed. Tryhard twink invaders deserve nothing less than walking past you disguised as a box 3 times before getting a disconnect. Gimmick builds mucking about and throwing poo at you for two hours is fun. I guarantee the two of you could have gone full nude fist fight with the invader and they'd probably oblige. But when hosts bundle up in a safe space when they have every advantage in the situation is always just sad.

I broke an invasion in DS1 because they invaded in the Undead Burg looking for some new player to gank and I was practicing speed running tricks. Turns out if you're invaded in the upper burg and you roll off ledges and balconies to get to the lower burg, nothing in the lower burg spawns including the Capra Demon and their fog gate. So I was locked into an area I couldn't get out of while the invader who saw me jump off a ledge was running around the upper burg trying to find me.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah, it says i have two working eyes and basic literacy skills

have you considered dating, loving, or exercising to help deal with the excess of energy you bring to the pursuit of buttmad proclamations about the correct way to play video games and the correct way to interpret how other people play video games?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SlimGoodbody posted:

have you considered dating, loving, or exercising to help deal with the excess of energy you bring to the pursuit of buttmad proclamations about the correct way to play video games and the correct way to interpret how other people play video games?

this post is weirder and more inappropriate than anything i've said in this thread. have you considered a little introspection as to why you're so threatened by someone talking about a game and how its social dynamics work?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

madness, O madness

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think d/cing at the end is pretty lame when you could just go over and fight the guy with no real consequence, it's not like if you die in the game you die in real life. doesn't sound like you were far away from a checkpoint or anything like that.
also playing cautiously is just how you approach a 2v1 scenario lol. you're talking poo poo about him trying to bait you into a disadvantaged scenario instead of letting himself get baited into a disadvantaged scenario.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

i think d/cing at the end is pretty lame when you could just go over and fight the guy with no real consequence, it's not like if you die in the game you die in real life. doesn't sound like you were far away from a checkpoint or anything like that.
also playing cautiously is just how you approach a 2v1 scenario lol. you're talking poo poo about him trying to bait you into a disadvantaged scenario instead of letting himself get baited into a disadvantaged scenario.

Never underestimate spite as a motivator

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

thank u miyazaki for the blessing of invasions to enable all the hilarious Discourse that comes with it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Fereydun posted:

thank u miyazaki for the blessing of invasions to enable all the hilarious Discourse that comes with it

I feel like Vyke discovering the Frenzied Flame :negative:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Invasions are cool but what Elden Ring really needs is weapon durability.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

No what it needs is the return of purple phantoms

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

The Anime Liker posted:

Would breath of the wild be a better game if it had invasions?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Mods !?!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

causticBeet posted:

Would breath of the wild be a better game if it had invasions?

After careful consideration: yes

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Why argue about the right attitude to play Elden Ring with, when you could just be playing Elden Ring instead?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Does everyone already know about Ancient Dragon's Lightning Strike because woah...I know people like pest threads for EB but this poo poo was doing like 1/4-1/3 of EB's bar each cast and I'm not even optimized for lightning.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 12, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

and that's the story of how some weirdo put Boggart's kids through college only to get blueballed with a disconnect.

I've done a lot of invading and being invaded across all these games. I had a long run where I'd be an uncreative and really annoying dick at That Spot With The Anor Londo Archers in DS1, loading in with a Black Iron Greatshield and standing on the ledges. You'd get a lot of interesting interactions that way, honestly. Some people run at you and hope they can beat you down (you push them off), some try to throw firebombs or hit you with poison arrows (poison's a good idea because it gets through the shield but I had plenty of moss.) A few times I ran into hackers who had infinite HP (the Dragonslayer Greatbow and gravity solved those problems.) The scariest people were the ones with katanas because bleed builds up through shields and that could actually kill me if I didn't shove at the right time.

There was also a lot of sitting around and waiting. Now, obviously, I was blocking a critical path they couldn't walk around, so it's a bit different than the open areas in Elden Ring, but honestly someone disconnecting on me after I hassled them for 45 minutes or an hour or more was a win in my book.

This is all to say: while a shrimp-munching invader was being a bit gunshy, I'm sure she had a fun and distinctive experience, too, so I think everyone won in that encounter. Running around nipping at someone's heels is fun, and probably more interesting than most Elden Ring encounters where 2 or 3 guys run in on you and cave in your skull in sub 30 seconds followed by a minute of teabagging your fading corpse.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this post is weirder and more inappropriate than anything i've said in this thread. have you considered a little introspection as to why you're so threatened by someone talking about a game and how its social dynamics work?
I kinda agree with him. Hanging out and getting laid with SlimGoodbody > hanging out Tuxedo Catfish talking about Grammer and proper behavior