Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He was. He's Naru's mirror, it's very obviously that Predator's first hunt and instead of being smart and observant it's kind of a dumbass.

Is it really dumb to let himself get stabbed a bunch, when it‘s mostly just an annoyance? I guess at some point he’s gonna run out of superglue, but he seems to be doing pretty well for himself otherwise.

This also shows the pitfalls of relying on canon or whatever, since the ogre in this movie isn’t actually hunting at all. He’s very clear about having a series of mostly 1-on-1 battles or duels, where he’ll only kill something that’s noticed him first. Like, he punches the wolf to get its attention before stabbing it.

That’s very different from how Naru disguises herself, sets out bait, and then shoots him in the back of the head. Their goals are quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Is it really dumb to let himself get stabbed a bunch, when it‘s mostly just an annoyance?

Well I would say it's not an annoyance. It's a sign they're being chipped away at, that they're not invincible. In all the big final Pred fights, Predator is figuratively and sometimes literally taken apart until the killing blow. If it bleeds we can kill it, after all.

When I rewatched Prey what struck me was two things - I enjoyed it more than the first time, and that the movie really does take pains to make Feral Predator a total dumbass. It's taking wolf skulls as trophies, for god's sake. Sarah Palin poo poo. Total scrub.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Prey predator is one of those guys who thinks they’re hardcore for only going bowhunting instead of using a gun

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Well I would say it's not an annoyance. It's a sign they're being chipped away at, that they're not invincible. In all the big final Pred fights, Predator is figuratively and sometimes literally taken apart until the killing blow. If it bleeds we can kill it, after all.

When I rewatched Prey what struck me was two things - I enjoyed it more than the first time, and that the movie really does take pains to make Feral Predator a total dumbass. It's taking wolf skulls as trophies, for god's sake. Sarah Palin poo poo. Total scrub.

They should have had a scene where as soon as it gets off the ship it swats a mosquito on its leg and then gingerly holds its body up to the sky while shrieking in triumph.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

They should have had a scene where as soon as it gets off the ship it swats a mosquito on its leg and then gingerly holds its body up to the sky while shrieking in triumph.

LOL. Put it to an absolutely triumphant brass-heavy score and you've got yourself a deal!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just FYI but by the time the Predator actually fights Naru it's been bitten by a wolf, mauled by a bear, had arrows and poo poo put in it by the Comanche band, been shot by the French, been stabbed through by Taabi and then arrowed 3 - 4 times, and shot in the back of the head by a large caliber pistol ball. It's had a rough one and probably shouldn't be considered to be fresh and in go mode.

It's probably suffering from a concussion after the pistol ball whacked it in the head. That was also one of the bloodiest wounds it took too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

banned from Starbucks posted:

honestly all ive ever wanted on this earth is to drop into an unsuspecting CoD lobby as a predator and gently caress both sides up with pred gear.

I want someone to make a mod for The Sims that puts the Thing from John Carpenter's The Thing in play in your household.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Prey predator is one of those guys who thinks they’re hardcore for only going bowhunting instead of using a gun

It's weird because I think this was supposed to show that his Predator tech was primitive compared to what we see used in later films but he still has a god drat space ship so I don't think that's the case. He just prefers worse weaponry, or something?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

sigher posted:

It's weird because I think this was supposed to show that his Predator tech was primitive compared to what we see used in later films but he still has a god drat space ship so I don't think that's the case. He just prefers worse weaponry, or something?

The director has said that you should consider this Predator to be from a different clan, or different hemisphere of the planet, or whatever. I think the movie supports that. The basic outlines of its hunting style are the same but the details are different. It's the same species but a different lineage.

Like how it has no self-destruct device, having changed it for explosive tracking drones. Its mask has no environmental filtering either and seems to be only worn for protection and to moderate their vision. Stuff like that.

You could also read it as "the Predator adjusts its hunting tech to the tech level of the planet it's hunting on" although the Prey Predator seems so clueless that I find that a bit of a stretch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sigher posted:

I feel like every Predator ship we see after 2 kind of sucks rear end both for how the tech looks and a few other things.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

I want someone to make a mod for The Sims that puts the Thing from John Carpenter's The Thing in play in your household.

I would actually play that game if this were an option, that sounds rad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is the best-looking predator ship:

I could never find one as a kid :(. The Narcissus, Cheyenne dropship and M577 APC are all somewhere at my Mom's place but that predator ship eludes me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

This is the best-looking predator ship:

I could never find one as a kid :(. The Narcissus, Cheyenne dropship and M577 APC are all somewhere at my Mom's place but that predator ship eludes me.

I never got the dropship, but I have the Predator ship and the others.

If you’re ever looking to offload the dropship, I’m your huckleberry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the species first time on earth so he’s working his way up the food chain.

Also the Predator in Predator 1 has a ton of animal skulls as trophies on his belt

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Also the Predator in Predator 1 has a ton of animal skulls as trophies on his belt

Good catch and I had never noticed but...all it does is make me respect these Yautja tourists less! ;)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are dumb yes!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I want a Predator movie where it takes down a snake, a wolf, a bear, and then a human... and then it's climbed its way up the food chain to its ultimate second-half-of-movie target, which is like a werewolf or Dracula or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Predator vs Jaws

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the species first time on earth so he’s working his way up the food chain.

Despite the movie’s marketing, the director has clarified that it’s not the species’ first time on earth, but it is that specific Predator’s first time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well that’s dumb. Why you fuckin with me Dan! What makes that special! Lol

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Yeah, I say it's time we saw a Predator fight a giant squid!

Then we see inside his ship and it's full of dried jellyfish and a single pistol shrimp

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Make a Predator movie but it's basically The Last Samurai and a predator replaces Tom Cruise.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're all dreaming, another AvP set in ancient Mayan or Incan times would be cool, since we already have the canon framework that they're our 'ancient aliens'.

But there's really only a few times you can run this gimmick before you're just doing Assassin's Creed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really just want AvP set in Alien era times. New planets, space ships. Throw in marines if you want. AvP can be a little cheesy and fun. Just not edgelord schlock.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^^^:sickos:

Bring Linn Kurosawa into live-action with an AvP movie so colonial marines can once again grace the big screen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Obviously, put them in Africa and have them getting destroyed before they even get to humans there who learned how to get around those animals already. It goes in the water and a hippo just bites it in half when it's focused on a croc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, Machiko Noguchi

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A group of predators struggling to hunt dinosaurs and ending the film saying gently caress it and wipe them out with the wrist nukes causing the dinosaur extinction.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The AvP arcade game is seriously the best sidescrolling fighter of all time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

No, Machiko Noguchi

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LittleHilariousCowrie-mobile.mp4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darko posted:

The AvP arcade game is seriously the best sidescrolling fighter of all time.

The AVP from 2000 was a whip-rear end good FPS too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Well that’s dumb. Why you fuckin with me Dan! What makes that special! Lol
I think he did it to get ahead of any complaints that hard-locking Predator hunts starting in the 1700s means you can’t have them showing up in earlier time periods in future movies.

brocked posted:

Yeah, I say it's time we saw a Predator fight a giant squid!

Then we see inside his ship and it's full of dried jellyfish and a single pistol shrimp

There’s a comic called ‘Predator: Hell or Hot Water’ where a Predator fights aquatic life. Been a long time since I read it but I remember it being pretty neat.

Darko posted:

Obviously, put them in Africa and have them getting destroyed before they even get to humans there who learned how to get around those animals already. It goes in the water and a hippo just bites it in half when it's focused on a croc.

There’s a really cool Predator novel by Jeff VanderMeer called ‘Predator: South China Sea’ that might scratch that itch (if you can find it, it’s out of print and goes for real money nowadays).

McSpanky posted:

The AVP from 2000 was a whip-rear end good FPS too.

Seriously anyone who hasn’t played it owes it to themselves to check it out, I think it’s like $5 on Steam and the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress. Aliens are a Real Big Deal in that game, and even one will gently caress you up. On higher difficulties it is not uncommon to shoot one only to have the acid blood take you out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

Seriously anyone who hasn’t played it owes it to themselves to check it out, I think it’s like $5 on Steam and the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress. Aliens are a Real Big Deal in that game, and even one will gently caress you up. On higher difficulties it is not uncommon to shoot one only to have the acid blood take you out.

:hmmyes:

To add to that, some places in that game were not well-lit at all, requiring you to throw flares to see well enough to shoot before they were right on top of you IIRC.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 12, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wish we could get another good stand alone Predator game. Concrete Jungle was pretty cool, and there's quite a few good Alien/AvP based games.

There was an official game based on AvP Requiem released only on the PSP too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ3Zho3ixJc

Pretty stupid shooter/action kinda game but good way to kill some time if you want to just be the Predator and murder everything. :D Honestly not terrible for a relatively early PSP title.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 12, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah, that's some real fine expensive gear you brought on board here, Mr. Predator.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that's some real fine expensive gear you brought on board here, Mr. Predator.

clickclickclickAUWAUGH!! (gets eaten by Jaws)

EDIT:

Sorry some context:

Jaws would be completely invisible to the Predator because of it being in relatively much colder ocean water, sharks have an average body temp of around 77 degrees.

We don't really get see a Predator swim/operate in water too much in the movies, but we do know that it can gently caress with their cloaking stuff. But given how impressive they are physically compared to us we can assume they'd be perfectly capable of swimming a lot/holding their breath/maneuvering well in the water if trained to/etc.

But it doesn't matter since Jaws like all fish has a have a lateral line organ that lets it detect changes in pressure as like a perceivable gradient around it, effectively giving it a pretty precise build in motion sensor.

So for ranged combat I think it would be difficult for the Predator to actually lock on and score a hit.

For melee combat, sharks don't really have scales they have these special scales (denticles? sp?) that are more like a layer of teeth than scales. We see in Prey that even just a wolf can bite through a Predator's skin, so barehanded I think the shark would have an edge.

There's also been reports of sharks being so berserk they can be an a near disemboweled state and and will just swim off and eat their own entrails to death, so in a frenzied situation like a Predator trying to stab it with a spear I think it would actually stand a really good chance of killing the Predator.

So effectively I think the Predator against Jaws really would be reduced to like a Hooper in Jaws situation of like, get a little close but not too close and try to get its spear directly into its eye to really harm it.

Plus, the odds that the Predator is aware that it could scare the shark away by punching it directly on the nose is low. It probably hasn't read those like "book of manliness" or "how to prepare for any disaster" or whatever books and almost definitely hasn't seen Angelina Jolie do this in Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life.

So I think against Jaws the Predator's chances are only a little better than a human's because of its brute strength.

Now, the Predator COULD just blow up the whole area with those trapper mines or whatever other advanced stuff but, like, against a plain old non-technology-using animal? That'd be some cowardly horseshit.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 12, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If the Predator wanted to hunt a shark it could. They have a wide array of vision modes. I feel like the shark could get a good chomp but I don’t think much else.

The predator would go ham on it with every blades weapon it has, or the shoulder canon and then heal itself after.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

If the Predator wanted to hunt a shark it could. They have a wide array of vision modes. I feel like the shark could get a good chomp but I don’t think much else.

The predator would go ham on it with every blades weapon it has, or the shoulder canon and then heal itself after.

Yeah but as we know from Jaws: The Revenge Jaws can jump impressively high out of and very precisely/far from the water as seen in the movie's opening (and in its ending). And while it's briefly brought up in Jaws II, Jaws: The Revenge confirms that Jaws' psychically connected descendants who are also Jaws would hunt down whoever kills one of them along with their family til the end of time. I think it is fair to take this into account the same way we always say "a Predator" or "the Predator" when we're referring to several different Predator characters across several films and comics.

Generally I'm in favor of Jaws here because even with different vision modes, I think any fish would be genuinely difficult for it to kill from long range because of their in water sensory capabilities, which would force it to get close, and that up close you'd see something like the bear fight in Prey.

The difference being that a bear bites at like ~1000PSI, a big great white has a significantly larger mouth, much larger teeth, and can bite at like 4000!! That's goes into insta-kill territory for a lot stuff (for the purpose of this being a "vs" thing I'm assuming Jaws is doing all it can to kill the Predator, and also remember Danny Glover while under great stress and hanging off a building was able to cut off a Predator's arm so yeah that disk was advanced alien metal but it's not like the Predator's are invulnerable to pain or damage).

The only real advantage the Predator has is if its physiology is close enough to humans that, like humans it tastes disgusting to the Shark.

EDIT: Now that Prey is a hit they really do need to make make a Deadliest Creatures/Deadliest Warriors show again but every episode of it is [renowned deadly warrior/animal] vs. a Predator

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 12, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Predator vs the Three Stooges.

Clickclickclickclickclick... "Nyucknyucknyucknyucknyuck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

The only real advantage the Predator has is if its physiology is close enough to humans that, like humans it tastes disgusting to the Shark.
I think I’ve heard this claim before so I decided to look it up.

TL,DR: sharks prefer not to eat humans both because of our composition (too lean, giant bones) and that we’re too much trouble (we’ll fight back), not because of the taste. They will happily consume red meat. Based on that article I don’t think a Predator has much to worry about from a real shark.

However, Jaws is a different story since it doesn’t obey real shark behavior. We never really see it hunt like a real Great White. They love to dive deep and explode upwards at their prey at warp speed. Given the size of Jaws, that would probably be an instakill. It also has Plot Armor which I think would do a lot to protect it from any ranged weapons. I’m also on Team Jaws for this one.