Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Battletech tried to solve the problem of "AI is way, way stupider than the player" by making it a numbers game. Which inevitably turns your well-balanced mercenary lance into a Steiner Scout Lance. No point bringing the things that can't take a hit, since you know every turn all the enemies are going to focus on the same target if they can. There are a few notable exception (punchstarter, for example) but in general there's always going to be far too many enemy 'mechs to risk it.

Expect every mission to have at least one reinforcement lance. Sometimes two. Occasionally, three (that aren't necessarily all on the same team, but who will happily all focus fire on that one 'mech because twelve different things shooting at it will get rid of its evasion entirely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Maaaan someone give me a mechwarrior reboot for PS5. Hell even give me some crazy controller I have to buy for it and I am allll over it

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Every time I get an email from Steam about Battletech being on sale (which seems to happen on a nearly weekly basis) I think about getting it for about ten seconds then remember that I don't think I've ever seen a single unambiguously positive post about or review of it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Frank Frank posted:

Maaaan someone give me a mechwarrior reboot for PS5. Hell even give me some crazy controller I have to buy for it and I am allll over it

...does Mechwarrior 5 not count?

And I liked Battletech, but definitely can't say it was without issues. I'd say $20 or less is a good deal on it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
My buddy who ran games with me back in the early 90s said it wasn’t very good after hyping it up like crazy. That was enough for me not to download it.

Back in the 90s there was an actual battletech center in Chicago that let you do 4 v 4 lance battles (?) where you sat in an actual cockpit with a huge control panel etc. We always talked about going there and never did but I’m sure the experience didn’t live up to the hype.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

JackSplater posted:

...does Mechwarrior 5 not count?

And I liked Battletech, but definitely can't say it was without issues. I'd say $20 or less is a good deal on it.

If this is something I can get on the PS5 and I can eventually pilot a battlemaster, I am all-loving-in

(P sure the battlemaster is one of the mechs that got “disappeared” like the Marauder and the Stinger because they were blatant copyright infringement but I can dream)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gohuskies posted:

Every time I get an email from Steam about Battletech being on sale (which seems to happen on a nearly weekly basis) I think about getting it for about ten seconds then remember that I don't think I've ever seen a single unambiguously positive post about or review of it.

Battletech is enjoyable but there are about fifteen asterisks next to the word and some “you need to know this or you’ll be miserable” things.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bussamove posted:

Battletech is enjoyable but there are about fifteen asterisks next to the word and some “you need to know this or you’ll be miserable” things.

The original tabletop is super loving fun so long as your GM doesn’t gently caress the rules up. I had an entire hand-painted set of the 3025 mechs in high school and man, I wish I had them back.

E: I still have an original Ral Partha Battlemaster in-box sitting on my desk at work :3:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really enjoy Battletech. My chief complaint is purely about the performance. It can start to get pretty crap, loading times too, in longer campaigns.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arrath posted:

I really enjoy Battletech. My chief complaint is purely about the performance. It can start to get pretty crap, loading times too, in longer campaigns.

I haven’t played it but is it 3025 or does it include the clan /star league stuff?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

I haven’t played it but is it 3025 or does it include the clan /star league stuff?

It’s 3025, but some Star League bits show up later in the campaign.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bussamove posted:

The star league mechs were broken but not as broken as clan tech. I would kill for a 3025 and nothing else game that didn’t feature OP Kerensky poo poo or magical star league nonsense.

Bussamove posted:

Also, follow-up question: does it include the (I forget the adjective) “forgotten” / “forbidden” mechs that were ripped from Robotech etc or are those just conspicuously missing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

If this is something I can get on the PS5 and I can eventually pilot a battlemaster, I am all-loving-in

(P sure the battlemaster is one of the mechs that got “disappeared” like the Marauder and the Stinger because they were blatant copyright infringement but I can dream)

I believe all that's been cleared up, the disappeared are returning.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe all that's been cleared up, the disappeared are returning.

Oh wow for real? Now I kinda want to play this even if it’s bad.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Frank Frank posted:

I kinda want to play this even if it’s bad.

The goon motto

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its no Cyberstorm 2, but its pretty solid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

My buddy who ran games with me back in the early 90s said it wasn’t very good after hyping it up like crazy. That was enough for me not to download it.

Back in the 90s there was an actual battletech center in Chicago that let you do 4 v 4 lance battles (?) where you sat in an actual cockpit with a huge control panel etc. We always talked about going there and never did but I’m sure the experience didn’t live up to the hype.

They take those to conventions now and they're a good time

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Perestroika posted:

Battletech is entirely too fond of throwing enemy reinforcements at you mid-mission.

I got burned by the exact opposite in Battlestar: Deadlock. The game had never warped in enemy reinforcements outside of story missions, except for the one time in a random skirmish where I had just barely disengaged my massively damaged main ship only for the game to warp in an enemy cruiser directly above the vessel killing it immediately.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

They take those to conventions now and they're a good time

(I really, really want to sit in one of those very badly. Please ignore my sour grapes)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Also, follow-up question: does it include the (I forget the adjective) “forgotten” / “forbidden” mechs that were ripped from Robotech etc or are those just conspicuously missing?

"Unseen" was the term you were thinking of. And from one wiki, it looks like Harmony Gold basically lost the "rights" to them after trying to sue Piranha Games over using the "Unseen" despite Catalyst Games having changed the designs to non-IP-infringing designes in 2015, and got the court cases dismissed with prejudice.

Unsure about how accurate this page is, but it meshes with what I heard around the time of the court cases.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

"Unseen" was the term you were thinking of. And from one wiki, it looks like Harmony Gold basically lost the "rights" to them after trying to sue Piranha Games over using the "Unseen" despite Catalyst Games having changed the designs to non-IP-infringing designes in 2015, and got the court cases dismissed with prejudice.

Unsure about how accurate this page is, but it meshes with what I heard around the time of the court cases.

With prejudice? They must have pissed the judge off.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Randalor posted:

Yes! “unseen” was the term used. Man my wife is going to be thrilled when I begin construction of my licensed assault mech in the back yard.

The Lone Badger posted:

With prejudice? They must have pissed the judge off.

That is not what that means.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

(I really, really want to sit in one of those very badly. Please ignore my sour grapes)

I think they're mechjocks? I just know that I played entirely too many games of those at gencon one year. They have them set to beginner mode where you don't have to worry about heat and ammo and it's just stomping and blowing poo poo up. 100% worth the price of admission

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

I think they're mechjocks? I just know that I played entirely too many games of those at gencon one year. They have them set to beginner mode where you don't have to worry about heat and ammo and it's just stomping and blowing poo poo up. 100% worth the price of admission

Were they renamed? They were 100% battletech products so the stuff you piloted was all from the FASA universe. If you could give me a name or two of stuff you could pilot, I could tell you whether it’s the same thing.

The closest I ever got was Steel battalion and/or the sit-down arcade Virtual-On cabinets :smith:

Edit: yeah heat especially was something you had to manage in battletech or you risked ammo explosions, full shutdowns and other shot that was basically a death sentence in combat. Sounds correct. Maybe they stripped the Battletech licensing because FASA went under.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Aug 12, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

This IS Harmony Gold we're talking about, trying to patent troll over designs that were changed from the ones they had licensed. Pretty sure they probably pissed off the judge, especially when you consider that several of the series they were claiming mech designs from... I can't find anything saying they had actual license agreements for.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

Were they renamed? They were 100% battletech products so the stuff you piloted was all from the FASA universe. If you could give me a name or two of stuff you could pilot, I could tell you whether it’s the same thing.

The closest I ever got was Steel battalion and/or the sit-down arcade Virtual-On cabinets :smith:

Edit: yeah heat especially was something you had to manage in battletech or you risked ammo explosions, full shutdowns and other shot that was basically a death sentence in combat. Sounds correct. Maybe they stripped the Battletech licensing because FASA went under.

Nah it's battletech but that's the name they used

https://www.mechjock.com/

They haven't updated in two years though so no idea if they still do the rounds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

I know, but normally a bad case gets dismissed without prejudice. The judge saying "and don't come back!" means it must have been impressively bad.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Lone Badger posted:

I know, but normally a bad case gets dismissed without prejudice. The judge saying "and don't come back!" means it must have been impressively bad.

Or the opposing attorneys made a good case for why it should not be retried. Doesn’t necessarily mean the judge was mad. Just means “we aren’t doing this again at a later date - this is settled”*

*(not a lawyer, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

Nah it's battletech but that's the name they used

https://www.mechjock.com/

They haven't updated in two years though so no idea if they still do the rounds.

I wish they’d come to my birthday party :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The Gajalaka in Monster Hunter World still suck no matter how many times I play this game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's crazy but I'm still banging my head against the wall with Twin Princes in DS3 even though I've watched the videos and what not. Been stuck on this bitch for like a month lol. I've only played DS1 and got this far on 3. I really like the games but simply hate repeatedly running back to these fights and genuinely think it wouldn't kill the games to load you outside the fog doors or let you set your own bonfires here and there. DS3 is better about it than 1, I'll admit but it's still lame and just mean and hard for the sake of it.

I also think it sucks how easy it is to lock yourself out of NPC quests and spells and am really glad I'm not a caster or pyromancer this time so I'm OK with it. I love 95% of the game(s) and the exploration, trial and error and experimentation in them but a game being hard for its own sake doesn't always mean it's fun.

I've taken to just warping back to other areas here and there just so I can practice fighting and being able to kill poo poo. Sometimes I even find stuff I missed. Other times, I get cocky and wind up getting wrecked anyway. Lothric Castle is not loving around no matter where I go.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

It's crazy but I'm still banging my head against the wall with Twin Princes in DS3 even though I've watched the videos and what not. Been stuck on this bitch for like a month lol. I've only played DS1 and got this far on 3. I really like the games but simply hate repeatedly running back to these fights and genuinely think it wouldn't kill the games to load you outside the fog doors or let you set your own bonfires here and there. DS3 is better about it than 1, I'll admit but it's still lame and just mean and hard for the sake of it.

I also think it sucks how easy it is to lock yourself out of NPC quests and spells and am really glad I'm not a caster or pyromancer this time so I'm OK with it. I love 95% of the game(s) and the exploration, trial and error and experimentation in them but a game being hard for its own sake doesn't always mean it's fun.

I've taken to just warping back to other areas here and there just so I can practice fighting and being able to kill poo poo. Sometimes I even find stuff I missed. Other times, I get cocky and wind up getting wrecked anyway. Lothric Castle is not loving around no matter where I go.

You could always summon someone and let them do it for you. It's the ultimate "gently caress this, I don't want to do this anymore" button.

Also yeah, Dark Souls and its ilk are infamous for having wonky quest lines but 3 is probably the most egregious in just how obtuse and easy to break they can be. Go the wrong direction at the wrong time? Welp, your little thief buddy's dead somewhere. Sometimes Patches just loving shows up and you skip a whole chunk of his, greirat and seigward's quests. I've had whole playthroughs where Sirris just never showed up for whatever reason.

If you've got the DLC and haven't done it yet, I'm pretty sure you can do the ashes of ariandel content without having beaten the princes if you want something new to do as a break.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nuebot posted:

You could always summon someone and let them do it for you. It's the ultimate "gently caress this, I don't want to do this anymore" button.

Yeah, I summon here and there when I can but I don't like PvP and play offline. I got enough problems without randos and people who LIVE to play these games loving with me. And whatever NPC I can presumably summon for Twin Princes isn't available because I hosed up the quest somehow (see above) by not lighting a certain candle next to a golden cliff with a dagger in one hand and a tree branch around my neck while I gestured with a kneel or whatever it was.

I'll hammer through it eventually but for the first time in a while I don't feel like playing and dying another 5 times so, at the moment, I'm just backtracking and killing things, slowly leveling up while also helping my 11 year old son with his character when he gets stuck. Maybe I'll break down and give embered online a try

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You got this! Twin princes have a few tricky moves but they are mostly just flashy bastards, their move set is well telegraphed and pretty easy to dodge. In my opinion, several of the bosses that you already beat are tougher

You're not kidding about lothric castle being pretty savage though, especially during my first playthrough. The knights with the great swords made my life hell and I still don't think it's worth fighting them most of the time

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Most of Cult of the Lamb is really fun, but the base building part is kind of a drag. It takes a lot of resources to build anything, and getting resources, lumber in particular, is slow. On top of that, failing to build resource generators, or letting them run out because there is no way to gauge how much is left in them, and running low means you need to wait for trees and rock formations to grow, which takes ages.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OutOfPrint posted:

Most of Cult of the Lamb is really fun, but the base building part is kind of a drag. It takes a lot of resources to build anything, and getting resources, lumber in particular, is slow. On top of that, failing to build resource generators, or letting them run out because there is no way to gauge how much is left in them, and running low means you need to wait for trees and rock formations to grow, which takes ages.

Doing a run is a good source of materials, I've found a lumber or rock room shows up on one of the paths fairly frequently.

That said, having the lumber generator require lumber to make and the stone generator take stone is pretty dumb.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The most minor of all complaints to have about Multiversus:

Harley Quinn is voiced by Tara Strong doing her pitch-perfect impression of Arleen Sorkin's B:TAS voice, that she's been doing for a lot of appearances of Harley in stuff like the Arkham games. It's great, and would be a perfect choice for Harley in any situation... except this one, because Multiversus' Harley is very clearly based on her HBO Max show, which is the one animated depiction of Harley that doesn't use that voice!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Best Harley Quinn voice will forever be her thick north NJ accent from the original animated series

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

If you've got the DLC and haven't done it yet, I'm pretty sure you can do the ashes of ariandel content without having beaten the princes if you want something new to do as a break.

You can do the DLC anytime as soon as you make it to the Cathedral of the Deep, but there is a sign in the beginning that says yoi shouldn't until you beat the 2 Princes, so they should be fine level wise.
The quest lines in DS3 are insanely finicky. Anri and Horus would show up in the catacombs, them they'd warp back to Firelink, then go back to the catacombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Arrath posted:

My most memorable experience for it was 'starting' a mission, getting up, going into the kitchen and making two full sandwiches for lunch, yet coming back to it still needing time to load.

The combat was not enjoyable enough to lose like 15 mins to load times for each mission.