Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Proper British chips are one of the only foods I really miss. Really good British Indian Restaurant food too.

The last time I had proper chip shop chips it had been months without them. They were so loving delicious I was close to tears.

Cat tax:

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

And yet we put gravy on them.

Yes this was pointed out to me when I brought it up in the terrible food thread. But I still felt very sad putting tomato sauce on my fried rice.

Sweet and sour sauce on fried rice is a travesty. Ketchup on fried rice gets you tomato/omurice which is delicious.

Chilli oil is the far superior condiment.

As is scallion and ginger oil.

Regarding swappable carbs. Maybe someone could make a chip butty with sushi rice instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Chili oil is nice on rice, so is soy sauce.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Z the IVth posted:

Sweet and sour sauce on fried rice is a travesty. Ketchup on fried rice gets you tomato/omurice which is delicious.

This sounds like a very inferior version of jollof rice which is genuinely one of the best rices.

Z the IVth posted:

Chilli oil is the far superior condiment.

As is scallion and ginger oil.

Neither of these are in dispute though.
Eat scallion and ginger oil with finely diced chicken thigh, egg fried rice, and a little sliced green scotch bonnet and you will know god

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 11, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Olpainless posted:

This sounds like a very inferior version of jollof rice which is genuinely one of the best rices.

The best really is Indonesian styled fried rice, very spicy and the egg is cracked raw into the middle of it as it's still hot out of the pan.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Everybody needs to get themselves a can of this stuff:

https://tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/products/bull-head-shallot-sauce-360g

You might also find it at your local chinese supermarket, if you're lucky enough to have one.

Awesome stuff. Shallots in oil, with spices and a little bit of chili, plus yeast extract, soy and MSG for umami. It's a great condiment, goes on basically everything. Put it on anything you might put caramelised onions on. Eggs, pizza, rice, noodles, baked potatoes, anything really.

Same goes for Lao Gan Ma (that's the brand) Spicy Chili Crisp - crispy chilies fried in oil with spice and MSG, plus you can get different variants with like, soy beans in and stuff. Really good - and despite being made with lots of chilies, it's not actually that spicy/hot - like, if you can handle the jalapenos or tabasco sauce, this stuff is not as spicy as that. You can eat instant noodles with just that added in and it's delicious, but again, works as a condiment on everything:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lao-Gan-Ma-Crispy-Chilli/dp/B00886C52O

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WhatEvil posted:

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!-An ecstasy of fumbling
Lifting the Daily Express just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime. -
Dim through the misty panes, and big green bins,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo. :golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

And yet I will happily buy just a tray of fried rice and sweet and sour and work my way through an entire back of prawn crackers with it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

And yet I will happily buy just a tray of fried rice and sweet and sour and work my way through an entire back of prawn crackers with it.

Truly a man of taste. A half-and-half box of chips and fried rice doused in S&S sauce and a bag of prawn crackers is god's own drunkfood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I had that excuse but I've been stone sober since I was born so I must claim responsibility for all my decisions.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/OliverKamm/status/1557755889792061442?t=qjbz_kmwFQown1Q01GaAkw&s=19

If you fancy getting angry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The problem with heat and the UK is that UK houses are poo poo for dealing with hot summers and cold winters.

It's currently 34.3C indoors in my house despite the outside being 21C at ~23:15 right now (though I live in one of the hottest parts of the UK).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!-An ecstasy of fumbling
Lifting the Daily Express just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime. -
Dim through the misty panes, and big green bins,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

:golfclap:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i'll give this to liz truss, she's distracted me from hating starmer lately

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

The problem with heat and the UK is that UK houses are poo poo for dealing with hot summers and cold winters.

It's currently 34.3C indoors in my house despite the outside being 21C at ~23:15 right now (though I live in one of the hottest parts of the UK).

strong recommendation for a big fan you can put ideally on your windowsill, to blast cool night air into the house.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I'm actually doing okay so far just by shutting the house up with blinds down during the day and throwing all the windows open at night. But it'll get progressively nastier as the heatwave lasts. Still, the lower temps at night for this heatwave are saving me a bit from horrid suffering. And also being alone in the house so I don't have to keep explaining to Mum why closing the windows is good if it's hot outside.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Drinkslinger posted:

Sauce with chips is for dipping. Chips and fries should be crispy. :colbert:

A most correct opinion

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

strong recommendation for a big fan you can put ideally on your windowsill, to blast cool night air into the house.

The windows go out into the street at street level and I had a burglar try to climb in only a few weeks ago (mate I'm standing right here in the room -which admittedly you can't see through the curtains and blinds- with all the lights lit and the window is hard to climb through, pick somewhere else).

I do have them open at the top for ventilation and have a big fan moving air around, but doesn't help much.

e: I got an alarm kit off amazon, figured it would help a bit, still a bit leery to leave them open overnight.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 11, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Roof fan that takes air up into the roof and blows it out of the eaves if you have a house where that works, chimney fan that blows air up the chimney if you're in a house with a chimney breast and no fire.

Creates negative pressure inside, sucks outside air in through holes too small for burglars.

Also yeah always close sun facing curtains. Throughout the day if possible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

what if you just say you turned up the letters randomly and that what came out? can't blame me?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Roof fan that takes air up into the roof and blows it out of the eaves if you have a house where that works, chimney fan that blows air up the chimney if you're in a house with a chimney breast and no fire.

Creates negative pressure inside, sucks outside air in through holes too small for burglars.

No chimney or roof I can install a fan onto, but I just turned on the extractor fan at full blast, that goes outside and might help.

Maybe I'll do the windowsill fan thing for a bit now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

less money on window fan, more money on caltrops also may be viable

or if you are thrifty you could spend an evening making your own with some tin snips, pliers, and wire coathangers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

less money on window fan, more money on caltrops also may be viable

I actually looked into that! Well maybe not caltrops but some kind of metal thing to put into the window since it's double layer. But apparently it falls into traps etc. and you'd be liable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I actually looked into that! But apparently it falls into traps etc. and you'd be liable.

Yes unfortunately this is true, which I think is pretty unfair honestly given that the behaviour is frankly glorified in such documentary pieces as death wish 3 and home alone.

also you could mithridates yourself into becoming invincible if you start out with small caltrops, or possibly lego, and work your way up to full size warhorse-annihilating wrought iron ones and frankly i think any burgler that does not do this is not trying hard enough

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So when are y'all Brits going back to chamber pots and gas lanterns? I hear rishi wants to get Britain back to it's roots

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes unfortunately this is true, which I think is pretty unfair honestly given that the behaviour is frankly glorified in such documentary pieces as death wish 3 and home alone.

also you could mithridates yourself into becoming invincible if you start out with small caltrops, or possibly lego, and work your way up to full size warhorse-annihilating wrought iron ones and frankly i think any burgler that does not do this is not trying hard enough

I meant more for a deterrent value, just some spiky bits of metal well visible in the window frame, try climbing through that. Should really count the same as a spiky metal grate or something IMO, but apparently doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder how that squares with barbed wire fencing or even cast iron railings. Like, it's plainly not illegal to put up barriers on a property that will kill you if you try to cross them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So when are y'all Brits going back to chamber pots and gas lanterns?
I should get my big oil lamp back up and ready for the winter, 5W(led equivalent) of light and 500W of heat will probably come in handy then.

If the anti-nuclear people are against the trifling amounts of emissions from Hartlepool or La Hague they'd poo poo themselves at what came out of old lamps.

Goons come with a prebuilt ability modifier for pissbottling though so that will be no problem.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder how that squares with barbed wire fencing or even cast iron railings. Like, it's plainly not illegal to put up barriers on a property that will kill you if you try to cross them.

Apparently those are borderline illegal too, unless you have proper warning signs or specific justification:

Using Barbed Wire, Glass and Other Intruder Prevention Methods

According to that website live fences aren't though, which is (again according to the website) part of why they are so popular.

Not sure growing a spiky bush in my window is a good idea though TBH.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What about those anti-bird spikes you see all over at train stations and the like? Presumably since that has a legit use that isn't hurting people that might be OK?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i haven't followed any of this but just repaired my fence after a burglary and my dad was disgusted that I pulled out the outwardly facing nails on the temporary board i stuck back up to patch the hole

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

What about those anti-bird spikes you see all over at train stations and the like? Presumably since that has a legit use that isn't hurting people that might be OK?

Also, like, the jagged spiky fencing that has been standard around every school I've ever seen since the 90s, including the ones the government owns.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Private Speech posted:

The windows go out into the street at street level and I had a burglar try to climb in only a few weeks ago (mate I'm standing right here in the room -which admittedly you can't see through the curtains and blinds- with all the lights lit and the window is hard to climb through, pick somewhere else).

I do have them open at the top for ventilation and have a big fan moving air around, but doesn't help much.

e: I got an alarm kit off amazon, figured it would help a bit, still a bit leery to leave them open overnight.

When I lived in a ground floor flat in Walthamstow, I had security bars (sort of nice lacey ones that could open up) installed, mostly I kept them locked shut so I could keep a window open for the cats to come in and out.
One day I was off sick and lying in bed when I saw the curtains move and first I thought it was one of my cats, then I saw my cat frozen with terror staring at the curtain. So I carefully pulled the curtain to one side (I had nets as well between the curtain and the bars) and saw a hand coming through the window. If I had thought, I would have snuck out of bed and round to the back garden and photographed him in the act, but I didn't. I just roared at him with lots of swear words about who did he think he was. He obviously hadn't noticed the bars.

They cost me £1200 to do 4 windows about 25 years ago now (2 quite big ones) (made to measure and installed by them me being the world's worst DIYer), all opening out on to the back garden, but having not had a wink of sleep after moving in, convinced that the mad axe murderer was pacing outside all night, they were extremely well worth it in terms of piece of mind. And I was the only ground floor flat in the block that didn't get burgled over the years I was there.

They were like this.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 12, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If this is now going to be every summer I would just invest in an AC unit. Probably £450/500 for a good one you could move round the house (bedroom at night). I haven't yet but the more sleep I lose the more I think it would be worth it in the long run.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jippa posted:

If this is now going to be every summer I would just invest in an AC unit. Probably £450/500 for a good one you could move round the house (bedroom at night). I haven't yet but the more sleep I lose the more I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Get an actual heat pump so you can also get additional heat in winter. Of course with todays electricity prices...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Awnings over windows is an electricity free method as well, if your place looks good with them anyway. I've read about this white color which has a net cooling effect, I wonder if awnings with that would be noticeably more effective than regular cloth ones.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Get an actual heat pump so you can also get additional heat in winter. Of course with todays electricity prices...

Still more efficient than any other heating if you buy a decent unit, especially with solar panels to offset power use

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

i'll give this to liz truss, she's distracted me from hating starmer lately

Starmer's strategy is working!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Doesn't this mean that Corbyn ISN'T a nazi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1557806063218561024