Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Julias posted:

Ch 3 and 4 of You and I are Polar Opposites are out. Definitely warming up to the art and vibe of the class dynamic.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013700

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013701

This manga is very cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Julias posted:

Ch 3 and 4 of You and I are Polar Opposites are out. Definitely warming up to the art and vibe of the class dynamic.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013700

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013701

golbat face...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Finally caught up with Skip and Loafer. It's extremely good and I hope the anime adaptation does it justice. Latest chapter got me simultaneously feeling :3: and :ohdear:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Umeko-chan is in Love

Only 2 chapters out so far but it seems cute

Premise: the school's creepiest girl is in love with the school's biggest coward and he thinks she's a ghost that's haunting him.

I think the most interesting thing and could help it in the long run if it's used well, is that the other students are real supportive of Umeko and her pursuit of Oga, instead of her just being a weirdo outcast

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ch 5 and 6

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013689

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013685

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ch 7 and 8 too

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013692

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013696

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Still in love with the charm and energy in Polar Opposites

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter 9 btw https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013707

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I finished the last volume of Wotakoi, and I'll miss it. It was always nice for those who wish to believe in love. Interestingly the author said in the final little interview segment that the actual heroine is Hirotaka, which was made really clear in the last volume.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses has continued with a different scan team and it also continues to be my favorite romance running and I will keep posting it until everyone agrees.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kidcoelacanth posted:

The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses has continued with a different scan team and it also continues to be my favorite romance running and I will keep posting it until everyone agrees.

I usually go to bed at midnight, but It's past 3am and I read the whole thing. Well, what was there. It stops at a bit of a cliffhanger! I was a bit confused about their ages (13-14) because it was misprinted early on. I had an opportunity for romance in middle school but I declined like an idiot. I frequently wonder how different my life would be if I had given her a chance.

Anyway, are intimate relationships really like that in Japan? Where no one ever says exactly what they're thinking or how they're feeling? Or referring to each other in 3rd person? How bizarre. I see a lot of that in the anime series I've been watching, as well. I know it's just media, but I guess I'm wondering how accurate it is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't usually like school manga but it's fun to try and figure out which parts are weird because I went to a small school, which parts are weird because it's Japan, and which parts are just kind of a trope or a genre expectation or whatever. Like I really doubt everyone in Japan gets laid the gently caress out for 2-3 days by a cold because they were in the rain, but that's in every manga ever because you need to have a scene where the other love interest comes over and feeds you porridge or Pedialyte or something.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Ofecks posted:

Anyway, are intimate relationships really like that in Japan? Where no one ever says exactly what they're thinking or how they're feeling?
That's just communication being hard. Are you in the habit of giving people unfiltered insight into what you truly think and feel at any given time? The friction between our interiority and what we can feel we can show without stepping on people's feet makes for interesting drama, but can also be tough to write convincingly.
Japanese people might have a bit of extra restraint on that count culturally speaking.

As for the 3rd person thing, that's just an artifact of poor translation. In japanese it's totally normal & actually more polite in most situations to 3rd-person each other rather than using the words westerners think of as equivalent to "you", so when translators don't account for that linguistic difference you get an odd effect.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's also the thing which if I understand piecing together inconsistent and sometimes vague TL notes right, it's a thing some people do to refer to themselves in the third person. apparently it's supposed to be cute. this often gets translated directly though which is kind of a big mistake because well. it's really not a thing in English at all. it's awkward at best to read and it just sounds loving off

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway speaking of what I've been reading lately: divorced crybaby neighbor has a fantastic art style, but holy poo poo does it update slow. and then when I do get them it's only 4-5 pages! gah!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The artists' output is all webcomics, and they do like 6 at once.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
He hasn't updated his angels and demon's series in months now...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

kidcoelacanth posted:

The best part about this is that the premise is so simple, you'd hardly believe it could last ten chapters, let alone evolve into one of the sweetest teen romance manga around.

Also Ai is just so delightfully half-a-bubble-off-plumb.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Terry van Feleday posted:

That's just communication being hard. Are you in the habit of giving people unfiltered insight into what you truly think and feel at any given time?

Not unfiltered, no, unless I'm close to them. The typical greeting of "how are you?" or "how's it going?" is difficult for me because my immediate instinct is to actually answer the question instead of responding with the standard "fine, thanks" or whatever. Also, if I'm fond of someone or something about them, I really want to tell them. Basically, I just dislike lying and deception and try to do the opposite most of the time. When I see characters in media stay silent or outright lie to people they're close to, especially when it's really important to be honest, it bugs me a bit. Quite often I find myself thinking "wtf, just tell them", "who does that?", etc. The answer to the latter, in this case, is apparently "Japanese youngsters". But that's also why I'm asking how realistic it is.

Terry van Feleday posted:

As for the 3rd person thing, that's just an artifact of poor translation. In japanese it's totally normal & actually more polite in most situations to 3rd-person each other rather than using the words westerners think of as equivalent to "you", so when translators don't account for that linguistic difference you get an odd effect.

Interesting. But is that really poor translation if that's what they actually do? It's not a thing in our culture, yes, so it comes off a bit awkward, but how else would you present that in text?

Any examples of things English speakers say that'd be really strange in Japanese? Well, besides our tendency to be more direct than they are.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Ofecks posted:

Not unfiltered, no, unless I'm close to them.
I suppose it depends on personality, you might just be a comparatively straightforward person. I also prefer to answer those kinds of questions honestly & value openness, but there are times when I keep quiet about certain things so as to not unnecessarily burden people around me or complicate my relationship with them. There's only so many times I can answer "how are you doing" with "bad" before it starts to become kind of a drag. There's also times when I just don't know how to express certain important things because my awareness of them is too abstract, which is tough to represent in manga where thoughts are the same kind of plaintext as spoken words

Ofecks posted:

Interesting. But is that really poor translation if that's what they actually do? It's not a thing in our culture, yes, so it comes off a bit awkward, but how else would you present that in text?
You write "you" :geno:
Japanese also puts verbs at the end of the sentence as opposed to the english S-V-O structure, and we don't represent that either 'cause there's no reason to. Those things would just be a distraction from the actual meaning of the line. There's much more interesting things that invariably fall under the table when doing translation (I'd know, I'm doing manga scanlation as we speak).
...I actually don't know what a good example of an english thing becoming odd when TLed to japanese would be, haven't done things that way 'round yet...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been reading Mikadono Sanshimai, and I'm honestly not sure how this one can end any other way than with the lead ending up with all three sisters. Damned near every chapter is about them all forging together into one inseparable family.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://mangadex.org/chapter/27696f7d-24f8-45d8-84c4-49a051e82581/1

dumb prefect remains an elite-tier romcom

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Forgot to link ch 10 of Polar Opposites

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013699

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i never really got into dumb prefect but i started reading girlfriend, girlfriend and within like 3 panels it has the same 'so stupid it wraps around to being genius' dialogue energy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:3: This prefect managed to outdo himself

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Julias posted:

Forgot to link ch 10 of Polar Opposites

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013699

This manga is so wonderfully charming

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Koudaike no Hitobito has ended kind of abruptly? But I suppose it's as good a place as any.

If you haven't checked it out, it's a very cute and funny little het josei romcom by the same mangaka as Gokusen. Plane jane OL protagonist has an over-the-top imagination that comes up with hilarious daydreams and fantasies, and her dreamboat love interest is secretly telepathic.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Chapter 11 of Polar Opposites is out, and grandma is incredibly powerful

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013829

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Koudaike no Hitobito has ended kind of abruptly? But I suppose it's as good a place as any.

If you haven't checked it out, it's a very cute and funny little het josei romcom by the same mangaka as Gokusen. Plane jane OL protagonist has an over-the-top imagination that comes up with hilarious daydreams and fantasies, and her dreamboat love interest is secretly telepathic.
The cover on baka-updates seem to imply that there's a love triangle, but there's no tags for it - so could you tell me if there is one?

I deeply despise that trope, so will do almost anything to avoid it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I don't think we've met a character in Polar Opposites who doesn't have an extensive powerful aura tbph

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The cover on baka-updates seem to imply that there's a love triangle, but there's no tags for it - so could you tell me if there is one?

Not that I recall. I think there's a jealous ex, but the main couple are planning their wedding for most of it, with no second thoughts.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Any grandparent that has their own vegetable garden is like SSJ4 tier strong.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Elfface posted:

Not that I recall. I think there's a jealous ex, but the main couple are planning their wedding for most of it, with no second thoughts.
Thanks! I'll add it on my wishlist so that I know to read it.

Without the wishlist and the ability to filter completely scanlated manga on baka-updates, I wouldn't be able to keep track of anything.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Minor spoilers but I don't think it's anything that needs to be tagged: Those people on the cover are siblings lol! There's a few chapters where the MC starts suspecting there's another woman in her fiance's life, but it's a misunderstanding that gets cleared up fairly quickly. No actual love triangles here.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of stories that were completed recently anyone have any other good ones that finished?

Im bored and bad at searching so Id appreciate any recommendations

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

ZeusCannon posted:

Speaking of stories that were completed recently anyone have any other good ones that finished?

Im bored and bad at searching so Id appreciate any recommendations

I really enjoyed https://mangadex.org/title/a21b9aa0-4a57-4c61-874c-e842edb8c312/itai-onee-san-wa-suki-desu-ka

it's like a more gentle watamote with office adults
like watamote it also somewhat drops the daily gag style after a while and finds its pace

Vesi fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 15, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, it sounds like ill like that. especially because I finished wotokai already. it's easy to find adult romance stuff on mangadex but drat it it's all untranslated lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess it's more like anti romance but you know what I meant. if i read one more manga about people in high school I'm going to go crazy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mentat Radnor posted:

this was pretty good by the way. not terribly deep or anything though. but the daydreams made me laugh a few times. i wanted to know if the siblings ended up happy too drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
New Polar Opposites just dropped.

By my estimations we are 15 volumes and two tournament arcs away from the Gapacho reveal, and I for one am happy to wait!!!