Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Escobarbarian posted:

This was such a good finale ahahaha

Very weird and unfocused but frequently incredible season

yea all over the place but i loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That was... impressively weird. A real wicked pissah of a finale if you will. Aside from the tension and laughs though I kind of struggled to find much meaning from a lot of it, but I'm gonna let it percolate in my brain for a while.

Separately, while reading about the show I realized I had no idea that the Robert S. Lee character in the previous episode was played by some famous (or infamous) Youtuber named Kevin Samuels who died two weeks ago (and they had initially wanted Steve Harvey for the role). I'm sure I'm way out of the loop on a lot of stuff going on in this show, but man that guy seems like he was a real rear end in a top hat irl

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha amazing finale.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Martman posted:

That was... impressively weird. A real wicked pissah of a finale if you will. Aside from the tension and laughs though I kind of struggled to find much meaning from a lot of it, but I'm gonna let it percolate in my brain for a while.

i took it as a meta commentary for how van kinda didn’t really fit or belong in the show anymore in s3, and her character basically feels reality seeping in and it causes her intense anxiety

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Starting the episode during the intermission of Battle of Alberta and I wasn't sure about the other two girls but thought right away that the girl with the straight hair was the influencer from the "Drake" NYE party episode in S2(?). Sure enough.

e- I wouldn't have picked up on the cameo if her friend didn't name-drop him. It seemed like his voice was deeper/more muttering in Generation Kill (which is a fantastic piece of TV if you've never seen it).

e2- I wondered why he was washing his hands until I said out loud "Oh, he's not washing his hands."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 21, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CBJSprague24 posted:

e2- I wondered why he was washing his hands until I said out loud "Oh, he's not washing his hands."

rofl :same:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- I wouldn't have picked up on the cameo if her friend didn't name-drop him. It seemed like his voice was deeper/more muttering in Generation Kill (which is a fantastic piece of TV if you've never seen it).

Well, he was playing an American Marine in that and he's playing himself, using his real accent in this, so yeah, it makes sense he sounded different

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the one girl just silently, gently nodding when he suggested they all get naked :allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerusalem posted:

I love the one girl just silently, gently nodding when he suggested they all get naked :allears:

tbh i would also get naked with coke/meth bender alexander

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i would also get naked with coke/meth/cannibal bender alexander

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i would also get naked with coke/meth bender alexander

Man, season 4 of Succession is gonna be wild.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aye Doc posted:

idk. I wasn't into that really. couple of nice scenes

This pretty much sums up the season for me, to be honest.

Jerusalem posted:

The two friends were the best part about this.

When it was suggested Van was a drug dealer, the one goes "Well, at least can I get some Molly?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol he kept the Deftones shirt

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Alright, I'm starving! Where are those little hands?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The bread was worth the wait

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So Van had an emotional breakdown which led her to Europe and then to adopt a French accent and lifestyle only for her to snap out of it and her short hair to magically return to its typical volume?

The finale was fine, but my lasting impression on this season can be summed up in two words: That sucked.

Am I the only one leaving this season disappointed? It might've been OK TV, but it's not at all what I'd hoped for given the track record of the first two seasons. Every great show has a sluggish run (Justified S5 was bad by that show's standards but it set up the run to the finish for the series), but :shrug:.

e- I just saw a suggestion on Facebook in the comments of one of the show's posts that Van's hair was the wig she was accused of stealing earlier this season, which might explain how it suddenly changed back. If that's accurate, it's an example of the brilliance the show is capable of.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 21, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

So Van had an emotional breakdown which led her to Europe and then to adopt a French accent and lifestyle only for her to snap out of it and her short hair to magically return to its typical volume?

The finale was fine, but my lasting impression on this season can be summed up in two words: That sucked.

Am I the only one leaving this season disappointed? It might've been OK TV, but it's not at all what I'd hoped for given the track record of the first two seasons. Every great show has a sluggish run (Justified S5 was bad by that show's standards but still good TV), but :shrug:.

e- I just saw a suggestion on Facebook that Van's hair [spoiler]was the wig she was accused of stealing earlier this season, which might explain how it suddenly changed back.[/s]

Van saw all of her friends around her, who she had been struggling alongside, suddenly see success and rise up out of that struggle. meanwhile she's lost, floundering, still never found anything concrete after losing her job due to the piss test. no sense of self, no sense of identity, all she has is her kid. so to "heal" and to "find herself" and to overcome that all, she goes to Europe where she just kind of... tries on identities? traits? stealing things, wearing different hair, just doing different poo poo. there's a kid but her mom's taking care of it, the kid's fine. she meets up with some people she likes and does the things they like, she drifts from the people she was close to because her new identity she's adopting isn't compatible with them. then someone reminds her, that kid isn't just a kid. that's Lottie, that's Van's kid. and she snaps out of it a little. she's maybe back to something closer to who Van really is, and closer to home (where we will be heading back to in S4)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really enjoyed this season but the alternating between odd but really good isolated non-main cast stories and the Earn/Paper Boi/Darius stuff made it feel uneven. I don't think there was a single bad episode but it also didn't really feel like a full season of the show either.

I like that the last episode is specifically main cast with a story about Van, but also still felt utterly surreal and unattached from the real world - like a joining together of the two different types of episodes.

I assume Season 4 will be primarily set back in Atlanta again, I wonder if they'll return to the one-off stories again.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

as to the season as a whole - 3 Slaps and Trini 2 the Bone and Rich Wigga, Poor Wigga were incredible. all the episodes with the regular cast were incredible. it was a really good season overall - I thought Tarrare fell flat which sucks because I was really looking forward to what Van's story was, I wanted more time with Al and Earn and Darius and Van, and I wanted more episodes overall. but I was pretty happy with how everything went and I am interested in what, if any, consequences there are to Van chasing whiteness so hard and Earn's white self dying

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I just caught up on the last two episodes and, in addition to just enjoying them in general, the very end of both had me cackling

"I've never been more attracted to you in my life" -> direct look into camera -> DIRECTED BY DONALD GLOVER
Long shot of the woman staring at the Eiffel Tower while pissing -> guy off-camera sputtering out "stop" -> smash cut to Splash Waterfalls playing over the credits

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think you are taking an increasingly very surreal show way too literally.

The answer to all of that is yes but also the only part of the episode that is really played straight is the end. If you are worried about the logistics of her haircut you are probably not watching with the right mindset imo.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 22, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

veni veni veni posted:

The answer to all of that is yes but also the only part of the episode that is really played straight is the end. If you are worried about the logistics of her haircut you are probably not watching with the right mindset imo.

Everybody on Van about her hair and nobody even bothers to ask where the hands came from.

The answers are in the hands, man!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wonder if the hands thing is a callback to all the hands reaching up from the water to pull you off the boat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The show gets weirder and weirder as it goes on, but literally the first episode has the main characters laughing about a guy they know who claims to have an invisible car, and the closing shot is him speeding off in an invisible car. It's never shied away from fantasy, or whatever reality suits the scene. Sometimes it's pretty grounded and sometimes it's completely ridiculous and it can happen at the drop of a hat. Probably the coolest thing about the show in general imo.

It's funny to me that someone could watch 3 seasons of this and be like "how did her hair grow back to normal in the next scene" lol.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It made more sense when I edited the post after seeing:

CBJSprague24 posted:

...a suggestion on Facebook in the comments of one of the show's posts that Van's hair was the wig she was accused of stealing earlier this season, which might explain how it suddenly changed back. If that's accurate, it's an example of the brilliance the show is capable of.

e- Wasn't the invisible car late in S1? It wasn't long after that Bibby made reference to it in Barbershop.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 23, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Van's baguette beatdown was just a grim version of this Curb bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYNSdo_SQgo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The hands being bulky and fried on the outside and pink and raw on the inside was truly a revolting choice.

Hands should be raw... and living!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

veni veni veni posted:

The show gets weirder and weirder as it goes on, but literally the first episode has the main characters laughing about a guy they know who claims to have an invisible car, and the closing shot is him speeding off in an invisible car. It's never shied away from fantasy, or whatever reality suits the scene. Sometimes it's pretty grounded and sometimes it's completely ridiculous and it can happen at the drop of a hat. Probably the coolest thing about the show in general imo.

It's funny to me that someone could watch 3 seasons of this and be like "how did her hair grow back to normal in the next scene" lol.
It doesn't change your point, but the Invisible Car episode was actually the eighth episode of the first season.

BUT, your post made me go back and watch the first episode because I hadn't in forever, and I thought maybe they'd planted the seeds for the invisible car into the pilot. They did not, but the opening of the first episode was a flash forward to Alfred shooting a dude in a parking lot while Darius talks about this having happened before, that a dog with a mark in the shape of Texas is going to appear, Earn getting confused, blackout on shot, opening sequence, and then...

Earn lying in bed telling Van about a dream he had, about swimming and there's seaweed, but the seaweed is hands and a girl tells him that the hands will grab you and drag you down. He thinks the dream is about society.

So both season 1 and season 3 start with (an) Earn telling someone else about bodies of water where hands will drag you down and kill you, it's been dreams and hands and bodies of water all along.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can someone explain the final shot for me? Lingering on the father in the family picture?

Otherwise I really liked this season!!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Earnest is dreaming that he’s earn and that reality is starting to leak into the dream. Could be a coma imo

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ok so it’s not a reference to something previous I missed? Tg.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Can someone explain the final shot for me? Lingering on the father in the family picture?

The guy in the photo is apparently the guy in the boat who was telling the story about the drowned city in the beginning of the season. What this means is unclear.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Ok so it’s not a reference to something previous I missed? Tg.

It is, he’s in two other episodes this season being woke mostly. I have some more theories but I’m gonna hold my tongue until next season

Edit wait a sec.. is being woke used as a literal metaphor in this show

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

TheBizzness posted:

The bag is the missing bag that the guy (Earnest) mentions before killing himself in Episode 4.

He’s the same actor as the guy who gets dragged underwater in the first episode of the season, but the more direct connection is to the reparations episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shrimpy posted:

The bag is the missing bag that the guy (Earnest) mentions before killing himself in Episode 4.

He’s the same actor as the guy who gets dragged underwater in the first episode of the season, but the more direct connection is to the reparations episode.

I assume it also ties into Earn's lie about losing his luggage during the scene where he and Van meet in the hotel lobby.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also hey season 4 is back next month!

https://youtu.be/PB-jmFA1NMk

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://collider.com/atlanta-season-4-review-donald-glover-brian-tyree-henry-fx/?s=09

first review to release of season 4, it talks very generally about the first 3 episodes. all of the tidbits they reveal sound great and i am very excited. the first episode is titled The Most Atlanta and it is according to that writer the most Atlanta-est Atlanta episode yet

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm surprised season 4 is out so soon. Did they film 3 and 4 at the same time or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm surprised season 4 is out so soon. Did they film 3 and 4 at the same time or something?

yep they basically shot them back to back, sounds like they did all the European shooting for s3 then came home and did the Atlanta shooting right after and then it was all over