Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Kind fell flat for me. The Kelly rescue was a cool idea, albeit borrowing a bit from The Martian, but in the execution it looked pretty lovely, like they ran out of vfx money. If that's going to be your big season climax it's gotta look better than that.

Also, nobody harder done by in this show than Gordo and Tracy, both of whose sons just turned out to be the biggest shitbirds in the solar system, directly and indirectly responsible for hundreds of deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Brass posted:

Did we even watch the same show? This season started on the space hotel, then the race to Mars, landing on Mars, Danny's descent, the drilling, then trying to get back to Phoenix. Plus all of the stuff going down on Earth. Aleida sniffing out Margo, Jimmy obsessed over conspiracy theories, the Helios corporate stuff, lesbian Republican president, etc. What more do you want? It would be cool if they explored Mars a little more but I think the show sacrifices things like that for scientific accuracy, which I've noticed people still tend to be overly critical of - like it's a gotcha moment. "Ah-ha! This could never physically happen in real life!" But anyhow, a ton of stuff happened in just 10 episodes but I would agree that the quality of the different storylines and plot points is varied, I don't blame you for blanking on the Earth stuff. loving Jimmy.

I was hoping the show would have a much bigger focus on the space travel/engineering problems (accurate or not it wouldn't bother me, as long as it was more about solving the problems that come with being in space and on other planets) with maybe some drama around the astronauts to pad it out.

Failson duo both had crap storylines. They could have replaced all the Danny poo poo with Ed basically teaching a young newer astronaut some poo poo or something. Other failson being a terrorist was boring. President stuff was boring. Margo and Sergei stuff was ok at times, but dragged on. Helios stuff on earth was boring, although having a private space company involved was good for the in space storylines.

I dunno, I'm just disappointed overall. Like I said it's still entertaining, but (especially with the time skip every season) they could have made a really interesting show that was focused more about humankind building on their previous technology and experience to go further into space every time. I know it does focus on that to a degree, but it's dragged down in my opinion by way too much stupid interpersonal drama.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Brass posted:

I'm really excited for season 4. The timejump to 2003 is interesting because they just skip right over Bill Clinton and past 9/11. I need to know if 9/11 happened!! But I guess that would be redundant. This bombing seemed analogous to the WTC 1993 one. So I am thinking originally part of some CIA plot to discredit NASA that got out of hand. Like what if Operation Cyclone had the CIA training rednecks instead of Taliban? Will Season 4 introduce the white trash counterpart of Osama Bin Laden? Enter Chris Kyle Tucker, the failson of a wealthy businessman, who ends up becoming the 43rd potus.

So the JSC bombing was an allegory for the OKC bombing (Disaffected veteran, upset with the federal government for various reasons, etc), not the '93 WTC bombing. 9/11 likely does not happen in the show because in the FAM universe, Pres. Hart does not send troops to kick Iraq out of Kuwait, which was a big reason why Bin Laden got so pissy with America (for having troops in Saudi Arabia), so the motive isn't really there anymore. Yes, you could argue that some of the other issues AQ and Bin Laden had with the US are still ever present (Support for Israel) but without Desert Storm, it's not nearly as likely to happen in the shows universe. TBQH, I'm hopeful the show stays that way. poo poo's a lot more interesting when it's not a complete 1:1 with out universe.

Also, maybe I'm dumb but wrt to Jimmy I actually felt bad for him throughout the season. He wasn't coasting off his mom and dad's legacy and seemed like he was legitimately just hosed up from having to deal with both his parents dying on the moon and not really having any real support as well as his brother being a true failson who was too busy doing his own thing to really care about him. To his credit, he realized (admittedly too late ) what was going on and wasn't buying into it. His story's more tragic if anything.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I think I'd have liked earth failson character arc this season more if he actually had been a true believer in uhh whatever the cause his terrorist friends were advocating. And if he had blown himself up at the end. I hope he's not gonna appear for more than a few cameos at most in the next season.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Laughing Zealot posted:

I think I'd have liked earth failson character arc this season more if he actually had been a true believer in uhh whatever the cause his terrorist friends were advocating. And if he had blown himself up at the end. I hope he's not gonna appear for more than a few cameos at most in the next season.

They may not even connect that he was involved. They also might pin it entirely on him. The one person that knew, died. The guards had orders to look for him, so they might connect the dots and just assume. He might admit. He might go on the run. Maybe we'll get a whole unibomber plot line, with him going on the run.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For people asking why they didn’t use the NASA ship at the end, I just figured they still use it. Unless I’m misremembering, the only thing that got damaged was the propulsion system.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Probably obvious too some, but I didn't realize it until someone else pointed it out to me that this was this timeline's Oklahoma city bombing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm thinking about that ending and time advancing to 2003. That means they went back to Mars (presumably) and picked up space failson. What's he like now? Did a year or whatever it was in space prison make him more insane than he was? Does he become a serial killer or something? Too young to be President, even with the time jump. They better not give him some kind of redemption arc and instead make him crazy as gently caress.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not sure about this new treatment for high blood pressure during pregnancy tbh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why they're doing the Margo alive in Soviet Union story, especially since everyone in the US thinks she's dead. Unless they all of a sudden reveal she's alive she's going to be siloed off into her own arc that doesn't interact with anyone else.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Could be a cameo opportunity later. Why does everyone think she is dead btw? Did I miss that, or are we presuming the USA won't paint her as a traitor and claim death instead? But it's more likely this is her write off with a season 4 cameo later, similar to Molly's.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ShowTime posted:

Could be a cameo opportunity later. Why does everyone think she is dead btw? Did I miss that, or are we presuming the USA won't paint her as a traitor and claim death instead? But it's more likely this is her write off with a season 4 cameo later, similar to Molly's.

Not sure who “everyone” is, but the show set us up for “she’s dead” because she’s not in her office when Aleida checks it after the explosion, so maybe the timing will fool USA investigators too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Possibly she is believed dead, then when they can't find her remains in the rubble the FBI figures out what must have happened and they decide to do a coverup to avoid having to tell the public that the head of NASA was a spy and a defector.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Not sure who “everyone” is, but the show set us up for “she’s dead” because she’s not in her office when Aleida checks it after the explosion, so maybe the timing will fool USA investigators too.

The explosion wasn't really handled consistently. Karen, who was extremely close to the blast, wasn't mince meat but got a somewhat passable death "bed" scene, but the entire front side of the building was blown wide open, and when Aleida went to look for Margo in her office half of it was just plain gone. Which, you know, could mean that there was no real body of Margo left to find, from the point of view of any investigators later on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know why they're doing the Margo alive in Soviet Union story, especially since everyone in the US thinks she's dead. Unless they all of a sudden reveal she's alive she's going to be siloed off into her own arc that doesn't interact with anyone else.

The showrunners said on the podcast this was the plan for Margo from episode 1 and they're excited to be able to get to it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah I won't exactly be surprised if she ends up working at Roscosmos in some capacity

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
why the hell is it even called Roscosmos, anyway? That's been bugging me for quite a while. Why does Russia have its own space program separate from the rest of the Soviet Union? Did the USSR actually collapse offscreen at some point with no one mentioning it, or are the writers just falling victim to that particular American brain poison where they think 'Russia' and 'the Soviet Union' are perfectly, 1-to-1 interchangeable?

It's a particularly weird one in terms of alt-history because it is actually called that IRL but doesn't make sense in-universe, it's like they just used the current real-life name for the Russian space program without stopping to ask why it's called that or if it makes sense to still be called that in this timeline.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Unkempt posted:

:lol:

This is a TV-rear end TV show, isn’t it?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Unkempt posted:

i found it just a bit unbelievable that the character who quite recently was found unconscious on the floor was able to do a daring jump from a rocket to a spaceship with no ill effects (perhaps it even IMPROVED the baby??)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mister Bates posted:

why the hell is it even called Roscosmos, anyway? That's been bugging me for quite a while. Why does Russia have its own space program separate from the rest of the Soviet Union? Did the USSR actually collapse offscreen at some point with no one mentioning it, or are the writers just falling victim to that particular American brain poison where they think 'Russia' and 'the Soviet Union' are perfectly, 1-to-1 interchangeable?

It's a particularly weird one in terms of alt-history because it is actually called that IRL but doesn't make sense in-universe, it's like they just used the current real-life name for the Russian space program without stopping to ask why it's called that or if it makes sense to still be called that in this timeline.

Gorbechov’s whole schtick was liberalizing Soviet Communism. If he was never overthrown/Yeltsin installed via a coup, it’s easy to assume the USSR eventually transitioned to this instead of the plundering of govt owned resources and subsequent conversion to hyper neo-liberal Capitalism that we saw from the early 90s to 10s. I’m guessing the writers pulled in some current Russian things into this.

Or they just though Roscosmos is a cool name, which it is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sivart13 posted:

i found it just a bit unbelievable that the character who quite recently was found unconscious on the floor was able to do a daring jump from a rocket to a spaceship with no ill effects (perhaps it even IMPROVED the baby??)

the only person more powerful than Ed Baldwin is Ed Jr.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Ahh, that sets up a pretty cool opportunity for Russia then. We've got the traitor you thought died. Assuming Aleida revealed the conspiracy. That could be a big plot point next season.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Why does NASA have it's own independent budget? It's all an alternative universe obviously, but just like Russia copied everything else, they are copying the independence of the space program. Except, we doubt they are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Didn't the russians give Margo a lot of info that helped NASA?
I don't think it would help her avoid a charge of treason, but I think there is a better story in her defending her actions, rather than to run away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She probably could have gotten away with everything up until the nuclear engines. Somewhat related to current events, nuclear secrets are apparently the one thing you can't just pencil whip away.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Episode and season ruled.

Season 4 is definitely going to be about the actual colony on Mars in its early years and will most likely introduce a lot of new characters as the others age out. Definitely some interesting geopolitical stuff to explore with the events of season 3 most likely having brought US and USSR closer together.

A new Mars colony getting off the ground has infinite possibilities for more personal drama. I'm guessing season 4 ends with either life being discovered on Mars or elsewhere, some type of first contact like receiving a radio signal via SETI, or the colony declaring independence.

We also haven't seen what China is up to in this timeline and with the USSR still being around there could be some interesting stuff there with the early 2003s being when China really started to take off economically.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Episode good, ending good, season good, show good.

I'm glad they wrapped up everything the way they did, largely as we expected (because otherwise you go down the Lost route) but also throwing twists in there. I'll spoiler from here out.

-Margo getting spirited away to Russia came out of nowhere and seems... suspicious. Like how would they know to remove her? Unless the Failson's group are backed by Russians... holy poo poo yeah I've just realised that. Didn't they have AKs?
-Danny gets locked in Mars jail for a bit to think about what he's done. Probably going to lead to some drama next season. At least Karen's dead.
-Karen's arc does feel a bit flat. She joined Helios, effectively took over, then died. I wonder if this means Dev sticks around (probably because they have to work on a way to get the Mars crew back with Nasa gutted).
-Molly goes out like an absolute hero
-Did Aleida die? It wasn't clear at the end there. If not she'll be head of Nasa in 2003.
-Ellen comes out, reunites with her girlfriend, and says gently caress you to the Republicans. I wonder if she's in political exile in 2003 or defects to the Democrats (or... launches a third party bid a la Nader but actually does something?)
-Ed will never ever die.

So we're in 2003. A colony on Mars seems guaranteed (why go back if you're not going to do more). Ellen doing something no doubt (they're not going to write out an openly lesbian character). Nasa coming back from the brink. Helios still kicking around. The biggest elephant in the room is life on mars. If they find that, maybe they go to Europa to look for other signs of life, driving the plot in the the outer solar system.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I don’t think NASA would get gutted after the finale. The country would probably rally around NASA and Ellen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d be happy if this show took a utopian turn. It’s too easy to imagine a lovely awful Earth where space just seems like such a good alternative.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean Ellen won't still be president in 2003 even if she gets a second term so not sure what else her character could do.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Cottage core lesbian cameos

That or she becomes an astronaut again and has the first gay sex in space

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Spacebump posted:

I don’t think NASA would get gutted after the finale. The country would probably rally around NASA and Ellen.

More that they've just lost a fairly significant of their (command center) work force, people that'll need to be replaced.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

D-Pad posted:

I mean Ellen won't still be president in 2003 even if she gets a second term so not sure what else her character could do.
the law of conservation of characters gives her a 100% chance of returning to space

or more boringly she could be one of those government go-betweens, but I don't think the show would resist the chance to shoot an aging person back in to space

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EvilHawk posted:

Episode good, ending good, season good, show good.

I'm glad they wrapped up everything the way they did, largely as we expected (because otherwise you go down the Lost route) but also throwing twists in there. I'll spoiler from here out.

-Margo getting spirited away to Russia came out of nowhere and seems... suspicious. Like how would they know to remove her? Unless the Failson's group are backed by Russians... holy poo poo yeah I've just realised that. Didn't they have AKs?

I could see the logic/storyline being, the Russians were already in the building/area because of the forced joint mission. Bomb goes off and Margot is wandering around afterwards and is either willingly or by force, picked up by the KGB in the ensuing confusion. Also no, Aleida didn't die. They showed her at the memorial wall with her (ex?) husband and child.

Sivart13 posted:

the law of conservation of characters gives her a 100% chance of returning to space

or more boringly she could be one of those government go-betweens, but I don't think the show would resist the chance to shoot an aging person back in to space

Oh yeah, they might do the John Glenn treatment there.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I could see the logic/storyline being, the Russians were already in the building/area because of the forced joint mission. Bomb goes off and Margot is wandering around afterwards and is either willingly or by force, picked up by the KGB in the ensuing confusion. Also no, Aleida didn't die. They showed her at the memorial wall with her (ex?) husband and child.

Ah, that's who the kid was. I looked away and didn't quite catch it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

More that they've just lost a fairly significant of their (command center) work force, people that'll need to be replaced.

Now is the time to steal as many Helios employees as possible.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Tired of having the rich CEO telling you to huddle up to listen to him eat his own farts? Come to NASA, where you can have an office with a door.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, 100% this. Which is why the time skip is going be so interesting. What happens in these past 7 years? Your CEO is dead, NASA was about to be taken over and then bombed. What do you do then? You just encountered an unknown Korean operative, that got there before you, on Mars. Government absolutely has to take over. But does it? Why wouldn't the military take over at this point? Who is the current president even? Does Ellen make it? No way, shes gotta retire with her GF. Bush serves, this eras Obama is Danielle. But what else?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EvilHawk posted:

I don’t think it came out of nowhere.
1) There was the conversation with Margot where the Russian lady says we can help you, do you want to rot in jail for 40 years?
2) Followed by (I think it came after?) Sergei getting his family lifted out of the Soviet Union and most importantly
3j Margot's big speech which she ended with “the room is yours” and performed a dramatic exit.

I think the bomb timing was just coincidence, Margot was on her way to the Soviets after her speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Yea, 100% this. Which is why the time skip is going be so interesting. What happens in these past 7 years? Your CEO is dead, NASA was about to be taken over and then bombed. What do you do then? You just encountered an unknown Korean operative, that got there before you, on Mars. Government absolutely has to take over. But does it? Why wouldn't the military take over at this point? Who is the current president even? Does Ellen make it? No way, shes gotta retire with her GF. Bush serves, this eras Obama is Danielle. But what else?

Al Gore being President fits this show's MO so well, I'd be shocked if he isn't POTUS at the start of next season.