Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

headcase posted:

buzzz is life. Paradox is the other mid I carry and it is also very good.

I have a Paradox but haven’t really figured out what to use it for. What shots make you grab your Paradox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I have an Uplink which is more stable than a paradox but still flippy as gently caress. I use it to get out of trouble. Like a forehand that needs to go left or a backhand that needs to go right.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

unbuttonedclone posted:

I have an Uplink which is more stable than a paradox but still flippy as gently caress. I use it to get out of trouble. Like a forehand that needs to go left or a backhand that needs to go right.

Yep. Mostly trick shots. I like high RHBH anny shots that to hold their line and keep going right. I want to try to figure out how to hyzer flip it for a midrange straight and then right. Seem to run into a lot of those.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Throwing a huge sliding anhyzer is the most fun shot in my opinion. Hard to pull off and usually pretty risky, but nothing feels better when you hit the perfect line.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Is anyone familiar with Door county Wisconsin?

I'm going up there soon and see several disc golf courses. Are there any that I should be sure to hit/avoid?

SpicyUnagi
Jun 18, 2012

Quabzor posted:

I'm going up there soon and see several disc golf courses. Are there any that I should be sure to hit/avoid?

If there are any disc golf courses, I've not seen them in all my time spent up there on vacations over the years.

Door County is a rich people playground now, in general, outside of the state parks and small town events/businesses, and wine. Lots and lots of wine.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quabzor posted:

Jacksonport Disc Golf was a cute course with some really fun and goofy lines. One basket is only 92' from the teepad, lol. I would avoid Sunset Park in Sturgeon Bay, the baskets are handmade which is neat, but they suck poo poo, and it was just a massively bug infested area when I was there in May.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I wish I had the arm to throw a Destroyer. I picked up one of the fifteenth anniversary stamp runs and it feels so good to hold but I know I’ll lose it the second I try to huck it down a wooded fairway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Destroyers can be understable like a valkyrie, you just have to keep buying them until you find a good one. Check the wing to see if its got a clear two-step compound shape, it might be a meat hook one.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You can get a pro, DX, or used Destroyer or lighter.

Or just throw a Tern instead.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Are there any other discs out there that differ more per mold than Destroyers? It’s one of the only discs I have no idea how it’ll actually fly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Firebirds for sure, people go nuts hunting the less stable ones. Last week I threw 10 star firebirds and all of them were super stable except 1 which was... not understable, but not straight either. It reminded me of a tbird or a beaten in eagle. This was brand new basically, 173g.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

you just have to keep buying them until you find a good one.

Are you an Innova rep lol

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Are you an Innova rep lol

Right? When I first heard of all the tests you have to do to find the right Destroyer, or Firebird, or whatever, my first thought was "why?" There are so many equivalent discs from other manufacturers that don't seem to have the same quality control problems. Just get a Zeus or a Trespass or a DD3.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm just really old and back then the only discs you could get were from this one rural gas station display case or a dude in the parking lot, and by the time the internet rolled around for discs I was stuck.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Muir posted:

Right? When I first heard of all the tests you have to do to find the right Destroyer, or Firebird, or whatever, my first thought was "why?" There are so many equivalent discs from other manufacturers that don't seem to have the same quality control problems. Just get a Zeus or a Trespass or a DD3.

I find it mystifying. They're definitely funding more disc golf, but I can't resist a little chide every now and then.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm just really old and back then the only discs you could get were from this one rural gas station display case or a dude in the parking lot, and by the time the internet rolled around for discs I was stuck.

This is fascinating background information. We're pretty spoiled with all the availability and coverage. I still don't quite get mindset, but the Innova diehards I know also enjoy the hunt.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Debating reactivating my Facebook strictly to get into some disc golf groups. I wish social media hadn’t crushed forums as the go-to online discussion platform.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My Facebook is just dog pictures and disc golf stuff. Good luck not letting Facebook seep into everything else ad-wise though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Debating reactivating my Facebook strictly to get into some disc golf groups. I wish social media hadn’t crushed forums as the go-to online discussion platform.

My group's page is public so I didn't even have to reactivate mine to see when things are happening. I agree with your second sentence though, there needs to be a better way to push that info out that isn't owned by some data hungry company.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is udisc like? I am sketched out by having extra internet accounts like probably many people posting here. GPS app on my phone? Not so sure. I couldn't figure out their monetization setup so I haven't made an account yet, but it seems like its mandatory to play in any events around here.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It’s not bad. I have location disabled for it on my phone, but it’s helpful for courses you haven’t played. The fee lets you save unlimited rounds and track stats over time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

What is udisc like? I am sketched out by having extra internet accounts like probably many people posting here. GPS app on my phone? Not so sure. I couldn't figure out their monetization setup so I haven't made an account yet, but it seems like its mandatory to play in any events around here.

UDisc is like the app to have for disc golfers. As most of the info is crowd-sourced, it relies on people keeping up with info of each course, which for the most part works great. GPS is only necessary for finding the nearest courses and for tracking your location per shot, but that is totally optional. You can turn it off and it may just bug you about needing it for precise location reasons. You don't really submit anymore info than an email address and name, and tie it to your PDGA number if you want. Obviously just don't use the same password to log into it as you do with other services.

As for mandatory for events? No way. It does support leagues and tournament scoring but is by no means a requirement for players.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Their monetization set up is the only non-sketchy one that exists, i.e., you pay them money. It's a great app and I love being able to track my stats in a more in depth way. Plus it really helps navigating a course you've never played before to have the hole by hole course map with GPS.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You don't have to pay for it to use it in league - you just have to pay if you want to keep track of more than X rounds per year. And it's like a couple bucks a month. Well worth it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I probably open the Udisc app literally every day. Whether I’m at a course or checking scores of a league night I couldn’t make or looking at the layout of some course I want to go to or following a pro tournament, I doubt I’ve skipped a day in a long time.

The gps is extremely useful on courses with poor signage, you just look at the arrow that shows where you are and what direction you are pointing, and walk towards where the map is showing you the next tee is.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been trying to putt lunas with the idea being that it will teach me to throw it hard into the basket. Unfortunately I've been struggling and falling behind my friends on putting. I just tend to throw it soft anyway, and my spin sucks.

Any recs on a putter to try? I haven't really decided on bead or no. I just want something less stable that I can float straight like the amateur i am. I am looking at magnets, but buying discraft is annoying and they don't have 5 packs. Most of the people I play with throw judges, so it is tempting to try.

Any other thoughts?

headcase fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 15, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried a fierce and I think its actually such a sick putter. The main issue is, like you noted, its discraft so good luck. They're $22 each and you can only get them in 1 very soft plastic. That one is based off a DD deputy I think.

One thing I would add though is you shouldn't be afraid to float or push putt a luna. Also push putting owns and will take you super far.

edit: this is such a meme at this point so I'm sorry, but if you go innova you can get DX factory seconds for 5 bucks each when you buy 10 at once. I've only tried the aviar and rhyno but they might make one that matches your description.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 15, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

I tried a fierce and I think its actually such a sick putter. The main issue is, like you noted, its discraft so good luck. They're $22 each and you can only get them in 1 very soft plastic. That one is based off a DD deputy I think.

One thing I would add though is you shouldn't be afraid to float or push putt a luna. Also push putting owns and will take you super far.

edit: this is such a meme at this point so I'm sorry, but if you go innova you can get DX factory seconds for 5 bucks each when you buy 10 at once. I've only tried the aviar and rhyno but they might make one that matches your description.

Thanks. Your post made me realize I'm doing a sloppy hybrid spin/push. Gonna try to focus on push.

I guess the problem with the luna is the disc speed and the fade. Even at 30 feet, i'm trying to hook it in. I guess because I'm not throwing it fast enough. People Say it's just a glorified roach, but It is pretty drat overstable.

I get that I have a form problem, but i feel like now might be the right time to change putters to something a little less finicky before I make drastic putting changes. That's why I'm soliciting some recommendations on people's favorite molds.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

Thanks. Your post made me realize I'm doing a sloppy hybrid spin/push. Gonna try to focus on push.

I guess the problem with the luna is the disc speed and the fade. Even at 30 feet, i'm trying to hook it in. I guess because I'm not throwing it fast enough. People Say it's just a glorified roach, but It is pretty drat overstable.

I get that I have a form problem, but i feel like now might be the right time to change putters to something a little less finicky before I make drastic putting changes. That's why I'm soliciting some recommendations on people's favorite molds.

I'm just returning to the throwing a frisbee in the park club after some years of not. I wound up replacing my old Westside Swan 2 with another but in a different plastic then the old one before. I've used it for so long I decided to stick with it for ease of hand familiarity and now I'm just figuring out which new plastic works best for me.

I bought my new one from a store that's a bit of a drive from me. It let me feel and pick up a lot of different manufactures molds/plastics to make sure I'm still a Swan fan instead of just ordering online. I would recommend in store shopping if you can, so you can figure out which putter might fit your hand best. I even scored a barely used special edition Axiom Paradox I'm trying out as a utility disc next to my Buzzz. Used bin scores are the best.

Good luck finding that putter that is yours.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.

headcase posted:

Dead Nerve already posted this but seconding there is no substitute for holding the discs in your hand. Go to a store if you can, nag people at the course to try theirs if you can't. Putting is such a feel based thing that it is hard to make recommendations without seeing your putting style and the size of your hands. I like Wizards and P2s but I have long skinny fingers, people I know with smaller hands prefer something shallower like a Deputy.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Why do I fall in love with discs that just stopped being in production? Found an archangel last week and had some of my longest throws and then my buddy gave me a skeeter that just feels…right.

Hit up the disc store for some backups and they aren’t being made anymore. Perfect.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hell yeah, I used an archangel for like 6 months before I got into valkyries. Small diameter discs are pretty cool. Innova proshop still has both molds and I am 99% sure they're still being made. If you like understable small diameter discs check out the Sol I've heard good thing about it, sorta a cross between those two in a midrange package.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sick dude thank you for the rec!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Mcqueen I just want to say that that John Clayton sketch is one of my favorite things on tv ever.

I didn't throw some discs today, but I did sign up for a tournament so yay

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I played I think the literal worst I've ever played at disc golf, during my first tournament last weekend.

Hopefully that means the tournament this Saturday will be spot free!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

cage-free egghead posted:

Mcqueen I just want to say that that John Clayton sketch is one of my favorite things on tv ever.

I didn't throw some discs today, but I did sign up for a tournament so yay

Totally, I miss his radio hour something fierce, absolute sports legend.

Just bought a Sol and backup Archangel, Fierce and Virus...stupid expensive sport that was supposed to be cheaper than golf...(IT IS)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

54 holes in less than 24 hours and I didn't finish last in the tournament today :bubblewoop:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Westside Underworld…I love this disc.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Playing an event tomorrow, so I wanted to practice putting. I live in an apartment. Easy solution:

Takes about 15 minutes to load and bike to the park, and then another 15 minutes to pack up and bike back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Anybody here done the Trilogy Challenge this year? I'm doing it Saturday, and unfortunately as of today I'm no longer the only Novice playing. Just hoping to not get last.