Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I visited Toronto in the late 2000s and the cost of accidentally going on the ETR for one exit was 20 bucks. After a decade of living in ON, the only people in I've met who use it are those who can claim the expense and hate their employer enough to waste their money.

gently caress that highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At what point is a transponder worthwhile? I dont want to give in, I hate that its a toll route, but in strict dollars and cents, what would you say?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

At what point is a transponder worthwhile? I dont want to give in, I hate that its a toll route, but in strict dollars and cents, what would you say?

based on this chart I think if you take it more than once every two months a transponder is cheaper

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I got a call from accounting once, saying that they just received an $800 monthly bill for the ETR

I thought for a second and answered, "yep sounds about right"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

the only people in I've met who use it are those who can claim the expense and hate their employer enough to waste their money.
gently caress that highway.

It's expensive but it's also replacing staying at the hotel so it's a wash for my employer.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

based on this chart I think if you take it more than once every two months a transponder is cheaper

They may as well make it a public expense to buy every Ontarian a transponder because what the gently caress?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lamo it's such a grift.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it's worth it for me the handful of times a year i/we use it because it lets me avoid the complete and utter shithole that is toronto, i mean gently caress being in a car anywhere near that

now i can bypass toronto and montreal on the way to the coast

incidentally i am pretty surprised at how many electric chargers there are now! makes me confident that when we inevitably get one we'll be able to drive to ns no problem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i mean gently caress being in a car anywhere near that

protip: don't drive in toronto, ever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

yes exactly

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol $6 for the ETR I wish jfc

I would love to know why Torontos transportation grid is as bad as it is. Was it the different municipalities not cooperating prior to Metro Toronto or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWjtpzCIfA

cars are the future, gently caress trains -> oh poo poo there's not enough room for all these cars -> gently caress it, half-assed commuter rail that's still car dependant is good enough

in short: the suburbs and car culture are to blame

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Spend too much time in Toronto driving every day and all of a sudden you're moving to Winnipeg just to get far enough away from the 401.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i believe it. that's why i take the bus

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you shouldn't drive anywhere if you can manage it. cars are a scourge

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Levin posted:

Emailed my MP and local MPPs asking about the CP24 article, got one response back so far from a PC office:
"I am pleased to share the Government’s thoughts on the matter at hand , I do know with the instance of Cataract surgeries , the Government has told the hospitals that Private clinics have been enlisted to perform the surgeries to reduce the backlog of surgeries on the hospitals , the patients just use their health card the same way as if it was performed at the hospital . The position of the Ontario Government regarding the Privatization of Healthcare is.
• We are not privatizing healthcare. Full stop. Ontarians will continue to use their OHIP card not their credit card when receiving services.
• Ontarians will never pay for health care out of their own pocket.
• Ontario has and will continue to have one of the largest publicly funded health care systems in the world. We’re investing $77.5 Billion dollars this year to provide Ontarians with the care they need.
• I want to be clear, there has been no expansion to the number of private hospitals who offer publicly funded procedures in Ontario.
• A new license for a private hospital in Ontario has not been issued since 1973. In 1980, there were 19 private hospitals licensed to operate in Ontario. Today, there are only 4.
• We are working with all of our health care partners to identify innovative solutions to surgical recovery like expanding funding for procedures performed on evenings and weekends.
• These facilities already perform publicly (OHIP) funded procedures and will ensure patients can access the health care they need when they need it.

I hope the clears up any misunderstanding of the reported news article from CP24 of August 10 , 2022 . If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me."

Is it worth following up to ask about the shortfall in spending?

lol lmao

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Mameluke posted:

They know that "have healthcare" is the cornerstone to our "better than America" identity and have to slowroll it. They're privatizing

edit: also, did you copy/paste that? look at the calibre of writing coming from that office lmfao

Yeah copy/paste, reckon whoever sent it did the same. To their credit, they are the only one to respond so far out of an MP and 4 MPPs. I haven't bothered to follow up.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
and people say Canada only gets its culture from America and not vice versa
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1557934944713949185?t=Tl1vfy0UgPw2uRu8RNCRZQ&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I love the GO train but theres a lot more they could do with it. Of course Kingston still doesnt have a train, Montreals leaves much to be desired, Ottawa is a mess.

I guess you could say the same about VIA service. For a country founded through bribes from CP Rail youd think they would secure the bag.

e: I would like to bike more but Ford Nation is at war with protected bikelanes, the pathway infrastructure is fine for recreational cycling but not actual transportation and for Toronto specifically, what are people supposed to bike in from Keswick or wherever they could afford to live?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:19 on Aug 12, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
VIA passenger trains are a joke. you would get where you are going faster as a hobo riding the cargo trains

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ghosthorse posted:

and people say Canada only gets its culture from America and not vice versa
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1557934944713949185?t=Tl1vfy0UgPw2uRu8RNCRZQ&s=19

eh, that's just re-importing.

I mean, not to excuse our own far right, but the PPC and convoy stuff definitely feels all like an echo of the recent far-right American reactionary bullshit.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

we privatized a whole drat highway built at our expense

we privatized a whole drat national telecoms grid built at our expense

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

VIA passenger trains are a joke. you would get where you are going faster as a hobo riding the cargo trains

Literally, right? I think the rails are owned by CP and CN and so they have right of way over VIA.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
to their defense, stopping and starting a ginormous freight train is a whole lot harder than a passenger train. there is, of course, a solution to that, but that's expensive, unlike the gigantic road infrastructure and millions of cars and all of their externalities that we use now

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why don't they simply pack passengers neatly inside the cargo train cars full of soft, padded hay/wheat/whatever? Offer a discount/free tetanus shot for the inevitable splinters from the cars with scrap wood and metal.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

eXXon posted:

Offer a discount/free tetanus shot for the inevitable splinters from the cars with scrap wood and metal.

Truckers immediately descend on ottawa from Trudeau's sneaky backdoor vaccine mandate.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

bring back conscription, give everybody Blue Cross and the Public Servant Healthcare Plan, with the CAF dental and eye care.

Oafs get a big strong military, everybody else keeps UHC plus benefits most people still dont have, Tories get to pat themselves on the back for involving Blue Cross and SunLife.

"Prescriptions if necessary, but not necessarily prescriptions."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

"Prescriptions if necessary, but not necessarily prescriptions."

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKv0_GPzF0

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

the pathway infrastructure is fine for recreational cycling but not actual transportation

Also the cops might beat the poo poo out of you or run you over for the offense of riding a bike on the bike path

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Politics rules

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thinking bout thos bees

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Canada has a Bee problem

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canada has a Bee problem

Well Ontario's premier solved it so what's stopping Trudeau

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol bees

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canada has a Bee problem

The bee is the solution, not the problem

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

its was a wasp. not a bee.

no idea what the insect was though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bee, the change you want to see in the world.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doug's not on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosthorse