Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That guy's gonna eat his words, they have a BIG new idea for Mistlands and it's gonna revolutionize 3D exploration video games forever.

Giant. Spiders.

(mic drop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No seriously, they'll probably release an update in a year or so and it will be pretty cool, but Valheim is already pretty cool.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah it seems fine to me to take a while to make a good update.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
As always, they should've just removed all incomplete content, called it a full game, and then released expansions with whatever they wanted afterwards. I can't imagine anybody (caveat: anybody reasonable) would be upset about their release schedule then.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Or just continue releasing smaller batches of content for other biomes while working on Mistlands. Mountains still need work IMO, and so do Plains. Both feel quite empty and characterless compared to the other biomes.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

As always, they should've just removed all incomplete content, called it a full game, and then released expansions with whatever they wanted afterwards. I can't imagine anybody (caveat: anybody reasonable) would be upset about their release schedule then.

Know what? I'm just going to redownload it and enjoy it as is. Instead of gurning that its not all the things its supposed to be in the future. The silver lining of a glacial development roadmap is that my game's not going to be wrecked every week.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

pork never goes bad posted:

Yeah it seems fine to me to take a while to make a good update.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like I got my money's worth out of Valheim long loong ago. To complain after the fact that it doesn't match up perfectly with some image you had of a magical Viking sim game formed during ea seems kind of petty and greedy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

admittedly it's kinda funny to see random people get mad about them mentioning having vacations here and there, which should absolutely be a thing everyone is afforded

like that is 100% someone should never be getting mad about a person doing

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I have an embarrassing amount of hours in the game (more than 399, less than 401), so I'd say my money was well spent, if not my time. I agree that it probably should have been released as 1.0. If there's any group more impatient and entitled than gamers, I haven't seen it, so dragging your feet on commitments isn't a good idea. Better to work on content quietly and surprise people than to appear to have "given up". I can't wait for the claims that it's been abandoned in EA to start.

edit: not a knock on posters in this thread, but I get excited that an update has dropped when I see a bunch of new posts, but it is almost always about a disappointing dev update.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Marketing it as Early Access when it was in fact 80%+ done was improper, and a mistake. I imagine they just had no idea it would be an overnight smash hit making them 30 million dollars in a couple months. They figured releasing it as EA would take pressure off of themselves; instead it added massive pressure because all of a sudden here are millions of people expecting twice as much content and expecting it yesterday.

Realistically 95% of the people who will ever buy Valheim for PC already have. What will make them megabajillionaires is porting it to the consoles, so that is surely what they're mostly spending their workdays on right now. After that, well, it would sure be cool if they took after Terraria and Stardew's devs and kept releasing big free content updates for years to come, but you can't really begrudge them for calling it a wrap once the console ports are done and pursuing something new or just loving off to Monaco with their money--except that calling it Early Access implies a promise that lots more content is coming. Free content.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 11, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I like the stuff they've shown in the dev updates, I just wish they gave a release window for Mistlands. If it's Fall, fine. Next year? Fine. I just wanna know lol

e: Also, the game is already being ported to console, but a third-party is doing it so the devs are all 100% focused on Mistlands and beyond

Firebert fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 11, 2022

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Marketing it as Early Access when it was in fact 80%+ done was improper, and a mistake. I imagine they just had no idea it would be an overnight smash hit making them 30 million dollars in a couple months.

Goonlogic 101

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Eh, its ok to me. I trust theyll release a meaty update that will keep me and my group busy. Ive got 500 hours in this game and having a big building project to work on every now and then is keeping me plenty satisfied. Its the perfect podcast game.

Speaking of projects, finished this cool guest lake house I built in my little personal kingdom in my groups server.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

Speaking of projects, finished this cool guest lake house I built in my little personal kingdom in my groups server.

Hell yeah love the tower. Did you do this all in normal survival? No mods or dev commands?

I ran out of steam on my biggest build, I really need to get back to it and finish it off.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Hell yeah love the tower. Did you do this all in normal survival? No mods or dev commands?

I ran out of steam on my biggest build, I really need to get back to it and finish it off.

The tower was built 100% legit normal survival with no mods or dev commands. It took me months. Ill grab some more photos that show it off.

The only mod I have now for building is Crafty Carts which gives crafting stations mobility and storage. I also have the More Gates mod which is where those windows are from.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 11, 2022

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I think it's okay to be disappointed with lack of content and missed potential, it's when that turns into anger/entitlement that there are problems. I really like Valheim and if I were in the devs position I would also probably be coasting too but it's absolutely a bummer to see yet another empty tweet with a screenshot or two and no release date

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Everyone who thinks paying 20 US dollars means game developers are now their slaves can eat a dick

Now, if it was SIXTY dollars,

Gamers nowadays have totally skewed ideas on how long it takes to make a game and more power to Iron Gate if they want an actual work-life balance instead of killing themselves to get stuff out to a terminally-whiny fanbase.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I already got enough enjoyment out of the game. If they ever actually make a big update, great! i'll play with my friends again, if not, thats still fine and im glad some dudes made money and gave me a cool and fun game.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

The tower was built 100% legit normal survival with no mods or dev commands. It took me months. Ill grab some more photos that show it off.

The only mod I have now for building is Crafty Carts which gives crafting stations mobility and storage. I also have the More Gates mod which is where those windows are from.

Nice work. I've built stuff that tall a couple times and it gets pretty sketchy when you get up that high.

I might have to get some screencaps of my castle complex.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this guy (and also you) sound like angry entitled babies

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 11, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Look, when I buy a game, like anything else, I own the developer in perpetuity. And if you don't continue to make more of the game, in a timeframe I set, to my specifications, like my house or my car, I will demand my money back months or years later.

I have gotten salty about two games and feel justified about both.

Cyberpunk - sold as a living open world rpg, recieved a crazy broken unfinished game without the features promised, and it even changed genre to an action shooter with dialog. Ended up decent for what it was, but poo poo for what I paid for.
ARK - bought as early access, they wandered off finishing the game to expand it into dlcs instead, never optimized it.

Valheim, a surprise breakout hit with a small team behind it that gave me something to do during the scary covid times. They're working on it slowly still but delivered a very working little game for pennies.

Gamers are just loving Karens.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

this guy (and also you) sound like angry entitled babies

It is reasonable, IMO, to expect frequent updates from a game that is in Early Access.

It is not reasonable, IMO, to convince oneself that an unfinished game is "fine as is" simply because one has put a ton of hours into it. Yes we get it, you got addicted to Valheim's game loop despite the limited amount of content in it. Not everyone is like that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thank god for "reasonable" gamers like you

https://twitter.com/ins0_wtf/status/1557745451700559872?t=qQA5AOsea3L9D0VGhX2v7g&s=19

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thank the gods, at long last we have diagnosed the problem.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It is reasonable, IMO, to expect frequent updates from a game that is in Early Access.

Let's be honest, its just as reasonable to expect to get what you paid for on the day you paid for it and for the developer to walk off with your money right there and then. Its not patreon, you bought thing, got thing. There's no gun to anyone's head to even add one iota more to the game. You would LIKE it to be developed faster, you're UNHAPPY that it isn't. You're ENTITLED to gently caress all after the transaction.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
"I'm the Mature Adult in the room full of children.!"
"No I am!"

Do we really have to do this poo poo again.

It's okay to be happy with the game and satisfied with what you've gotten out of it. It's also okay to be disappointed by getting a screenshot or two every few months when we still have bosses dropping literal placeholder items. These are both valid thoughts to have about this product that's being marketed to us.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Knock it off with your tone-policing nonsense, I'm sick of gamers thinking developers are being lazy and greedy when they aren't pumping out content at a pace satisfactory to people so out of loving touch with the actual workings of the industry they constantly patronize and bitch about. This is a real issue with people underestimating the cost of labor to a hazardous degree, not some slapfight about maturity.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
There's a lot to be said for not compulsively f5'ing a game that's not putting out content at the rate you want it to be. There's definitely like 20 bucks worth of game there already. I check back in on the thread once every couple months to see if the next part is out or not, but my friends and I had an amazing time playing through to the last boss, building cool castles and then stopping. The idea of the devs taking the money and running is stupid because they already sold you a product worth that much money.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol at that dipshit's twitter page. what does goon mean on someone's twitter profile?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Khanstant posted:

lol at that dipshit's twitter page. what does goon mean on someone's twitter profile?

idk but it looks like his twitter pfp is an eve online avatar so it’s safe to assume they are fundamentally broken

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s possible to both be disappointed in Valheim and not mad at the devs. It’s a game with a really really strong foundation that nonetheless has a serious deficit of meat on that bone compared to its peers. Because of the size of the development team it will 100% never actually fix that problem. It wouldn’t be so disappointing if what IS there wasn’t so good, but neither is it a moral failing of the devs.

But there’s also nothing to be done for it so hakuna matata. I hope this has been a useful tutorial on how to hold two ideas in your head at once.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s possible to both be disappointed in Valheim and not mad at the devs. It’s a game with a really really strong foundation that nonetheless has a serious deficit of meat on that bone compared to its peers. Because of the size of the development team it will 100% never actually fix that problem. It wouldn’t be so disappointing if what IS there wasn’t so good, but neither is it a moral failing of the devs.

But there’s also nothing to be done for it so hakuna matata. I hope this has been a useful tutorial on how to hold two ideas in your head at once.

Yeah this is where I'm at. Like it's their thing, they can do what they want with it, but bringing a few more people on board to help them flesh it out rather than say, endlessly monkeying with new foods that will not really change the balance at all, would certainly make me happier.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Knock it off with your tone-policing nonsense, I'm sick of gamers thinking developers are being lazy and greedy when they aren't pumping out content at a pace satisfactory to people so out of loving touch with the actual workings of the industry they constantly patronize and bitch about. This is a real issue with people underestimating the cost of labor to a hazardous degree, not some slapfight about maturity.

It's not tone policing to point out that "the devs are my slaves!" Is not a thing anyone is saying. And if you're upset about labor standards, that's a systemic issue in the industry that the end user has no control over. The whole "entitled gamers" shtick is as bullshit as it was a decade ago and if that's what you're focusing on then you're completely missing the broader issue.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
So have we talked about the game lately or just screeched back and forth at each other? Can we all just pull up from this and talk about the viking video game? I'm as bad as everyone else. The real injustice is logs from felled trees crushing you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

toasterwarrior posted:

Wel, I've been a software developer for over a decade, and in my opinion, in the YOOL 2022, failure to regularly push updates to your product strongly hints at gross lack of discipline and professionalism. I don't expect an indie studio to churn out huge content patches every single week, but I think it's also totally normal to expect new content like, once a month. Lots of small studios do indeed manage that. Hell, single-dev operations manage that. For example, here's the version history of Rimworld, which was developed by one dude: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Category:Version

Alpha 2: Feb 26th 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.2.363
Alpha 3: Apr 10th 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.3.410
Alpha 4: June 1st, 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.4.460

The guy was pushing out enormous amounts of content frequently, thereby keeping his playerbase busy and growing.

Similarly, look at Factorio's early version history, where they went balls-to-the-wall until they completed the core game content: https://wiki.factorio.com/Roadmap/History

quote:

Factorio 0.11 (October 31st 2014)
Factorio 0.10 (June 6th 2014)
Factorio 0.9 (February 14th 2014)
Factorio 0.8 (December 6th 2013)
Factorio 0.7 (September 27th 2013)
Factorio 0.6 (July 26th 2013)
Factorio 0.5 (June 7th 2013)
Factorio 0.4 (May 3rd 2013)

So yeah, if you actually take your product seriously, and take your customers seriously, and have good pipelines and processes, you can definitely develop massive amounts of new content within a matter of weeks.

That's not to say that Valheim is a bad game, but the devs do give a strong impression that they're basically phoning it in at this point. It is possible to like the game, and also to feel bitter about squandered opportunity.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

wit posted:

The real injustice is logs from felled trees crushing you.

Are you kidding? Getting killed by a tree the first time was the moment I knew I'd like this game. They took a boring chore and made it interesting.

And if trees didn't have fall damage how else would you plant them on hillsides and let them domino each other.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are you kidding? Getting killed by a tree the first time was the moment I knew I'd like this game. They took a boring chore and made it interesting.

And if trees didn't have fall damage how else would you plant them on hillsides and let them domino each other.

Of course I'm kidding, it loving owns, it was a segue.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

wit posted:

So have we talked about the game lately or just screeched back and forth at each other? Can we all just pull up from this and talk about the viking video game? I'm as bad as everyone else. The real injustice is logs from felled trees crushing you.

That was my second ever death. First was setting myself on fire walking out of my cabin because I built a campfire too close to the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

wit posted:

Sure, but the thread has been pretty much dead for nearly a year now except these periodic holy wars. Which in itself is perhaps instructive.