Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't know W:tA that well. Was there an Italian tribe?
They had inbred English nobles (Silver Fangs), haughty eastern euro aristos (Shadow Lords), and Teutonazis (Get of Fenris), but no Italians qua Italiano. That's what the Giovanni vampires were for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think the closest they get is the Glass Walkers and Silver Fangs because of Rome but there’s none that are Italian stereotypes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Well, then, we know what kind of player character tribe we need to replace the Get with.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
when the moon makes you turn
into a furry goon
that's amore

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ferrinus posted:

I don't know W:tA that well. Was there an Italian tribe?

Yeah they were called the Gabbagarou.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Yeah they were called the Gabbagarou.

I opened the thread to make this exact joke :hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

So are they getting rid of all the other tribes then if we're evaluating them only by how they were depicted in 1st edition? or are they still going to have the Fianna be a bunch of drunken irishmen who gently caress faeries?

Yeah. There is a lot of cruft at the heart of the Wyld. After rehabbing the Get in Revised just to axe them seems a bit of a waste.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Honestly not sure if the idea of 'kinfolk' can be rehabilitated at all. They're fundamentally 'breeding stock.'

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

TheCenturion posted:

Honestly not sure if the idea of 'kinfolk' can be rehabilitated at all. They're fundamentally 'breeding stock.'

The number one best change to Werewolf: the Forsaken Second Edition was adding "Wolf-Blooded" (Forsaken's equivalent to kinfolk who carry the potential to become werewolves) who occur spontaneously or from mad blessings and curses, and I wish they had followed through harder and gotten rid of the hereditary Wolf-Blooded altogether.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
“Hey, Spagheddaboutit!” — Roasts-Garlic, Bone Gnawer

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

The number one best change to Werewolf: the Forsaken Second Edition was adding "Wolf-Blooded" (Forsaken's equivalent to kinfolk who carry the potential to become werewolves) who occur spontaneously or from mad blessings and curses, and I wish they had followed through harder and gotten rid of the hereditary Wolf-Blooded altogether.

If I ran Forsaken I'd just make it so that because of past genetic bottlenecks means that basically everyone in the entire world is Wolf-Blooded, it's just a matter of degrees and enough stimuli awakening that ancestral memory.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

So Werewolves are Jedi?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Fuzz posted:

So Werewolves are Jedi?

Some werewolves are born bewitched, devil children who came out the womb with a living caul of wolfskin or spirit doubles who have twin siblings born and raised in the Shadow reflection of the world. (There are mechanics for both of these, as well as several other weird curse-blessings: the caul-child can wear the caulskin to transform into a dire wolf, the Shadow-twins can switch places between the two worlds. 2e Wolf-Blooded are cool even before the First Change.) Other people have one terribly bad day when they have a violent psychotic break from reality, or their flesh is rent and torn by wolf fangs, and to make their day worse, something about how harrowed and panicked they grow in that moment makes the Moon fall in love with them and bless them by turning them into monsters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I always thought the Wolf-Blooded who has an always-available second skin should have constant access to Urhan form, while the Wolf-Blooded who transforms uncontrollably by the light of the full moon should be taking on the Urshul form.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I always thought the Wolf-Blooded who has an always-available second skin should have constant access to Urhan form, while the Wolf-Blooded who transforms uncontrollably by the light of the full moon should be taking on the Urshul form.

I was speaking off the top of my head; upon checking the book, Second Skin does give you Urhan, and the Shape-Shifted under the light of the full moon does get Urshul.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

I was speaking off the top of my head; upon checking the book, Second Skin does give you Urhan, and the Shape-Shifted under the light of the full moon does get Urshul.

Oh poo poo really? I'd swear I remember reading it like you initially said/like I initially implied was weird but I'm glad to have misremembered.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

The reddit thread about it was pretty gross before it got locked. Good riddance.

The OP of that thread was the same guy who make a thread about setting a Chronicle in war-torn Ukraine lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Please ask INjustin Achilles to confirm that Sgt Rage and his Killing Commandos all got to go to Werewolf Heaven and do pushups with Gaia, even if the Get are being written out or ruled 'extant but unplayable/wyrm-raddled'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

a7m2 posted:

The OP of that thread was the same guy who make a thread about setting a Chronicle in war-torn Ukraine lol

...is his IP address in Sweden somewhere?

Drinking With Nixon
Mar 7, 2009

Your Mama's got plans, your daddy's aim is true.
She never understood that it ain't no good.
Papa never heard the cool.
So uh, I bought Vampire 5th edition on a nostalgia kick, did I do a bad thing? The OP made the franchise seem too toxic to support. Is it in a better place now that Renegade Studios is in charge?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Drinking With Nixon posted:

So uh, I bought Vampire 5th edition on a nostalgia kick, did I do a bad thing? The OP made the franchise seem too toxic to support. Is it in a better place now that Renegade Studios is in charge?

There were some problems earlier with the source books but recently it seems to have been in a good place. The book is terribly laid out in terms of how easy it is to access info quickly but I like the rules a lot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If you were looking for nostalgia you should have got the massive phonebook vampire 20th edition.

Everything White Wolf made during the 90s is very 90s. Just keep that in mind, we are not in the 90s any more and edgy 90s things are cringe now.

Drinking With Nixon
Mar 7, 2009

Your Mama's got plans, your daddy's aim is true.
She never understood that it ain't no good.
Papa never heard the cool.

Rutibex posted:

If you were looking for nostalgia you should have got the massive phonebook vampire 20th edition.

Everything White Wolf made during the 90s is very 90s. Just keep that in mind, we are not in the 90s any more and edgy 90s things are cringe now.

Totally agree that's why I was excited by an updated version, see if it was any good. I have no desire to go back. Wanted to read the newest and shiniest thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurieg posted:

So are they getting rid of all the other tribes then if we're evaluating them only by how they were depicted in 1st edition? or are they still going to have the Fianna be a bunch of drunken irishmen who gently caress faeries?

That kinda sounds rad ngl

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Totally agree that's why I was excited by an updated version, see if it was any good. I have no desire to go back. Wanted to read the newest and shiniest thing.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary is a good read that bridges some of the old story to the new. As another lapsed Vampire enjoyer it was nice to catch up with some of the named characters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not 100% comfortable with companies buying IPs and then memory-holing them when they decide they're inappropriate (aside from the broad concerns about the history of Art, that's pressure that could just as easily work against me as for me), so I'd honestly rather they'd just set the price to $0.00 or something.

On the other hand, all they actually had up was a lovely scan from 2004 anyway, so the loss is comparatively minor.

(Lately I've been working on making better scans of a bunch of WoD and Exalted books so I can send them to DTRPG, but it's a long process. Sadly, my scan of Heresies of the Way did not get adopted for some reason, in spite of being a massive improvement. This may have been because I didn't OCR it, but in fairness, attempting to run OCR on a wacky Asian handwriting font on a rice paper background caused my computer to weep blood.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not 100% comfortable with companies buying IPs and then memory-holing them when they decide they're inappropriate (aside from the broad concerns about the history of Art, that's pressure that could just as easily work against me as for me), so I'd honestly rather they'd just set the price to $0.00 or something.

On the other hand, all they actually had up was a lovely scan from 2004 anyway, so the loss is comparatively minor.

(Lately I've been working on making better scans of a bunch of WoD and Exalted books so I can send them to DTRPG, but it's a long process. Sadly, my scan of Heresies of the Way did not get adopted for some reason, in spite of being a massive improvement. This may have been because I didn't OCR it, but in fairness, attempting to run OCR on a wacky Asian handwriting font on a rice paper background caused my computer to weep blood.)

Just consider it to be out of print. It’s not that they are erasing it from history, but they don’t need to be printing copies of it anymore either.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah. There's something to be said for how piracy is ultimately necessary for any form of game preservation in the modern era and how that sucks, but there aren't exactly a lot of game historians buying copies of old racist WoD books for archival purposes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah. There's something to be said for how piracy is ultimately necessary for any form of game preservation in the modern era and how that sucks, but there aren't exactly a lot of game historians buying copies of old racist WoD books for archival purposes.

Pirates are absolutely archivists, some of them are even professionals. I'm a professional librarian and trained as an archivist, and every one of my peers loves piracy. I know it's not cool to talk about piracy in this sub so I won't say much, but I will guarantee you there are game historians preserving copies of old WoD books (not specifically because they are racist, just to have everything).

These archives exist, and a book disappearing from drive through rpg is absolutely not an issue for preservation. Library of Congress has a copy of World of Darkness: Ethnic Slur in their archives

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=4064&recCount=25&recPointer=0&bibId=2111967

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 13, 2022

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I own a copy of the book in question (I don't remember if it's a POD or if I shelled out for an eBay copy) because I'm going to review it at some point and part of why I'm doing the reviews is an archive of sorts.

Or at least that's a better reason than "Eh, I gotta justify the money I've spent on this crap" :shrug:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Rutibex posted:

Pirates are absolutely archivists, some of them are even professionals. I'm a professional librarian and trained as an archivist, and every one of my peers loves piracy. I know it's not cool to talk about piracy in this sub so I won't say much, but I will guarantee you there are game historians preserving copies of old WoD books (not specifically because they are racist, just to have everything).

Just to be clear, I'm 100% pro :filez:. It just sucks because one big company that wants to flex their copyright muscles can ruin the entire system if they ever felt like it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nessus posted:

Please ask INjustin Achilles to confirm that Sgt Rage and his Killing Commandos all got to go to Werewolf Heaven and do pushups with Gaia, even if the Get are being written out or ruled 'extant but unplayable/wyrm-raddled'

Sgt Rage is welcome into the loving arms of Mama Rat and is biting nazi throats out with all the other Bone Gnawers that enlisted.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd be really interested if you end up scanning any of the by Night books like New York and Hong Kong, all the ones with the creepy ugly NPC portraits. Just about all of the scans on DTRPG for those are loving terrible.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

TheKingslayer posted:

Beckett's Jyhad Diary is a good read that bridges some of the old story to the new. As another lapsed Vampire enjoyer it was nice to catch up with some of the named characters.

On top of that, it's a drat fun read

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fuzz posted:

Achilli was in the official discord and made a vague statement about how the future of the WoD is looking forward, not back.

If that was true they wouldn't have revived the old world of darkness as the fifth edition lol.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

If that was true they wouldn't have revived the old world of darkness as the fifth edition lol.

Well he wasn't there for that. Watch 6th Edition rip off NWoD even more blatantly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Who was involved in making v:tr? I was checked out of gaming at the time nwod was launched.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

Who was involved in making v:tr? I was checked out of gaming at the time nwod was launched.

Achilli helped launch nWoD and Requiem 1e, along with many others.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kavak posted:

Well he wasn't there for that. Watch 6th Edition rip off NWoD even more blatantly.

I feel liek the best choice would be a complete reboot, keeping the MAsquerade name but officially jettisoning the continuity (not the weird half-assed way they're doing now) and importing stuff from both gamelines as needed. Want Count loving Dracula and the Chevalier de Thélème in the same setting as Malkav and Lucita? Sure go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

They ran out of monster types to make new splat books. Wtf is beast? Come on.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel liek the best choice would be a complete reboot, keeping the MAsquerade name but officially jettisoning the continuity (not the weird half-assed way they're doing now) and importing stuff from both gamelines as needed. Want Count loving Dracula and the Chevalier de Thélème in the same setting as Malkav and Lucita? Sure go for it.

I like the way Mage20 handles things. All lore is optional