Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I just got some bearings in the mail and previously they had shields on both sides, but these are open on one side. They're ilq 7 plus where the previous ones were just ilq 7. Is that normal? I put the open side inside but haven't gone out with them yet
I guess like 90% of bearings come with shields on both sides but it really doesn't matter. I just get rid of the inside shields the first time I clean the bearings so I don't have to bother removing/reinserting the shields after that anyway* and there's no real need to have shields on the insides as far as I can tell.

*: It's a bit harder to clean them thoroughly with only one side off but I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mystes posted:

I have to admit that that style of knee pads is the cheapest, has the best protection for normal use, and is generally the most practical so I should probably just use them but I guess I'm too stubborn.

Exactly my thoughts until the third time I wiped out and scraped a chunk out of my knee (always the left).

Last time I wore them under trousers I clipped the person in front of me on a group skate and went down, skidded on that knee on the pad and recovered. Trousers destroyed but knee intact, if not pride because I was being sloppy tbh.

E: this is all street skates on lovely London roads so literal cheese grater surface in some places.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

mystes posted:

I guess like 90% of bearings come with shields on both sides but it really doesn't matter. I just get rid of the inside shields the first time I clean the bearings so I don't have to bother removing/reinserting the shields after that anyway* and there's no real need to have shields on the insides as far as I can tell.

*: It's a bit harder to clean them thoroughly with only one side off but I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Thanks, yeah I figured it was sealed pretty well on the inside anyway so there we go.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnKVx9d5WM

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Visiting St Petersburg and it’s the first time in a looong while that I’ve seen skaters in the wild. And at night they’ve all got LED wheels! Warms the heart

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Florida one?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

Visiting St Petersburg and it’s the first time in a looong while that I’ve seen skaters in the wild. And at night they’ve all got LED wheels! Warms the heart

For some cheapo outdoor wheels with leds it's like drat $35 with lovely but good enough for cruising the streets bearings installed. If I wanted to deal with the hassle of changing wheels all the time you better believe I'd rock a set.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ordered a silly electric bike horn thing off of amazon to see if it works for skating because reddit just randomly showed me an electric unicycle sub thread where someone said it worked attacked with the control run over their shoulder on a backpack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B65PCMH (I plan to use it on the bike bell sound at the lowest volume)

Probably dumb but I kept wondering if I could find a way to use a bike bell when skating on paths in the probably misguided hope that people will actually be more likely to keep to the left if they think a bike is coming rather than just being confused

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mystes posted:

I ordered a silly electric bike horn thing off of amazon to see if it works for skating because reddit just randomly showed me an electric unicycle sub thread where someone said it worked attacked with the control run over their shoulder on a backpack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B65PCMH (I plan to use it on the bike bell sound at the lowest volume)

Probably dumb but I kept wondering if I could find a way to use a bike bell when skating on paths in the probably misguided hope that people will actually be more likely to keep to the left if they think a bike is coming rather than just being confused

I’ve been half-tempted to get this

https://powerslide.com/products/finger-bell

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know why but that just seems so dorky even compared to a dorky electronic bell

Also I don't think I really like the modern style of bike bells that just ding once loudly. People don't seem to hear them if you only ding once but if you keep dinging then it seems pretty obnoxious. I have one on on my bike but I usually just end up just saying "on your left" and I've been wondering if an older style bell that makes a double ring sound would be more effective

But we'll see... If I'm not happy with the electronic bike horn for skating I may just use it on my ebike with the horn sound at a louder volume.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 14, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I like to ride up behind people and shout "SKATE OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER" while flipping them the double bird. Then I turn a sweet spin and speed off like a total badass

...and then everyone at the park started clapping for me and telling me how cool I was......

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
How often are quad skaters doing a wheel rotation??

By the way, if you're looking for a seriously good park wheel at not-bowl bomber prices Bont's parkflows are just peachy keen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i did it. after checking several places in town for skates that will fit my mutant feet i ended up ordering some and they came in today. i went over to my buddy's house and went from not being able to move at all to gentle laps around the driveway. i had my pads and helmet on but didn't end up spilling at all. there was lots of flailing and rolling into my car when i needed to stop

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

butt dickus posted:

i did it. after checking several places in town for skates that will fit my mutant feet i ended up ordering some and they came in today. i went over to my buddy's house and went from not being able to move at all to gentle laps around the driveway. i had my pads and helmet on but didn't end up spilling at all. there was lots of flailing and rolling into my car when i needed to stop

:sickos:

Quads or blades??

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

:sickos:

Quads or blades??
i got these in size 14 and they fit well even though i normally wear size 15 shoes. my buddy pointed out they came with 90mm wheels instead of the 80s his came with so i can go faster (note: i do not currently want to go faster)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

butt dickus posted:

i got these in size 14 and they fit well even though i normally wear size 15 shoes. my buddy pointed out they came with 90mm wheels instead of the 80s his came with so i can go faster (note: i do not currently want to go faster)

Literally called Rollerblade XL.

Pumped you found something that fits! Now it's time to shred all over the place and scare old people with your skater ways.

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i got these in size 14 and they fit well even though i normally wear size 15 shoes.
Normal shoe sizing doesn't really matter and it's important that they not be too big (even more so in soft shell boots) so you probably made the right choice. If anything you want them to feel slightly too tight when you first get them since in general the liner will compress a bit after a little use.

quote:

my buddy pointed out they came with 90mm wheels instead of the 80s his came with so i can go faster (note: i do not currently want to go faster)
With boots that big you wouldn't want the frame length/wheelbase to be any shorter anyway (the size 14 in the product image even has a substantial distance between the 90mm wheels, whereas smaller boots with 80mm wheels often come with them nearly touching) so you probably don't want smaller wheels unless you're doing aggressive skating (I assume not because they aren't aggressive skates that you can grind on but I'm not sure what the availability is like in size 14).

You could put 80mm wheels on them and you would just be a little lower to the ground though

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 31, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Jesus Christ this hobby.

Just ordered aluminum insoles to make a pair of custom rec skates. Why? No idea. But here
I am.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Compared to a lot of other hobbies it'a really not expensive so fill your boots!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

Compared to a lot of other hobbies it'a really not expensive so fill your boots!

Hell yeah, figuring I'm getting boots from the second hand store and probably just using thrust plates might come in under $200 before accessories.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
It's def a contender for the best hobby I've ever had, partly because it's relatively inexpensive. Fun to do, fun to watch, plenty of gear to nerd out on and I'm in better shape than I've been in in over a decade. So happy I got back into it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tenterhooks posted:

It's def a contender for the best hobby I've ever had, partly because it's relatively inexpensive. Fun to do, fun to watch, plenty of gear to nerd out on and I'm in better shape than I've been in in over a decade. So happy I got back into it.

This is one of the sweetest things. I have always been a runner and it seemed like no matter how many miles a week I put in I still had a hard time keeping my body looking okay. Skating feels like so little effort but now I have abs?

I like it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also,

:bisonyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

It is honestly about the only exercise I've ever enjoyed, to the extent that despite moving to a much better place in a great location, I'm still annoyed that it's harder to get to the London group skates and there are any decent places to go solo that I can skate to from my front door.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

From the gif thread

https://i.imgur.com/to1NHp4.mp4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Holy poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

It's 7pm and still 30C and I'm partially hungover so it makes perfect sense to go do the fast Friday night skate.

Pre-emptive :rip:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
30C, that's not so bad! It's been 35/36C last couple times I've done some rollerblading at the park, but I drove there with a gallon of water in the trunk and nearly finished it by the end.

I've been practicing soul slide brake thanks to a couple youtube videos making it look easy and it is definitely not. There are a couple sections of road that are fresh and flat as a tennis court where it's quite a bit easier, but the regular surface is so bumpy that any forward sliding motion is tricky as hell for me because the wheels just catch and dig in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's 7pm and still 30C and I'm partially hungover so it makes perfect sense to go do the fast Friday night skate.

Pre-emptive :rip:

Trip report: not dead.

The person doing it in jeans and no pads and that had never done a street skate before presumably did though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gonna, uh, take me a month or two....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Got some boots for my customs. Me being basic, based and debased has led me to acquiring the most boring white sneakers ever. But they're leather and they look so :effort: I just couldn't resist.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

fresh new wiz vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZewSdVEs94

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Looking at plates and every company is convinced every plate they make is the bestest ever. Reviews are extremely insightful including deep thoughts like, "they are shiny" to poo poo-ing precision aluminum plates for being "cheap feeling." Didn't realize how much of a pain this would be.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Looking at plates and every company is convinced every plate they make is the bestest ever. Reviews are extremely insightful including deep thoughts like, "they are shiny" to poo poo-ing precision aluminum plates for being "cheap feeling." Didn't realize how much of a pain this would be.

There is literally no hobby in the universe that people won't find a way of gatekeeping the gear for.

Now excuse me while I post "lol a soft boot? loving gumbies :rolleyes:" on the group page.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've had my eye on this for a bit, now out on Playstation and PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mns9HMvREA

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

posting w/ one arm. saturday i tried to learn again and went to a relatively flat parking lot with my buddy. i had all my pads on but when i fell i landed on my wrist and my elbow went backwards. it hurt pretty bad but i was thinking "don't be a wuss, you can't stop the first time you fall!" so i practiced another half hour before going home and noticed my arm still hurt and i can't move it in the normal way. went to the doctor today and it's broken lol

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

I think it’s near impossible to buy a ‘bad’ plate at almost any price point, rather the mistake people are likely to make is buying one not suited for the style of skating they plan to do. Nerds will be nerds though :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

posting w/ one arm. saturday i tried to learn again and went to a relatively flat parking lot with my buddy. i had all my pads on but when i fell i landed on my wrist and my elbow went backwards. it hurt pretty bad but i was thinking "don't be a wuss, you can't stop the first time you fall!" so i practiced another half hour before going home and noticed my arm still hurt and i can't move it in the normal way. went to the doctor today and it's broken lol
Yikes... when you say all your pads were you wearing a wrist guard too? And you still broke it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

mystes posted:

Yikes... when you say all your pads were you wearing a wrist guard too? And you still broke it?
wrist, elbow, knee pads and helmet. when i landed on my wrist pad, i felt my elbow go backwards more than normal (they hyperextend like 10-15 degrees). next time i will land on my elbow and let the pad do its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

I think it’s near impossible to buy a ‘bad’ plate at almost any price point, rather the mistake people are likely to make is buying one not suited for the style of skating they plan to do. Nerds will be nerds though :shrug:

Well that's reassuring actually. The only thing I really care about is getting off composite. Looking at SureGrip Avengers. Middle of the road price with double action trucks.