Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
That person is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think it’s looking pretty good. Environments look nice

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Those ports were terrible

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

I think it’s looking pretty good. Environments look nice

Environments and portraits look nice but the sprites look bad imo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Environments and portraits look nice but the sprites look bad imo.

yeah this. the sprites look way to fuckin smooth

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

That person is right
CRT user spotted.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

it looks better than the mobile versions obviously but also,

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I kinda get why they did it, perhaps the difference in sharpness between the environments and sprites would look a bit jarring. At this point with the level of smoothing I don’t see why they wouldn’t just use cel shaded models aside from being lazy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the FF pixel remasters got things like the font and all fixed pretty quickly so I'm assuming there'll be a sprite replacement mod day of release

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of the pixel remasters why are they not on console yet.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

this is a very fuckin good question

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other Square properties deserve a remaster with the kind of love and care SaGa Frontier got and I hope some day they'll get it

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the FF pixel remasters got things like the font and all fixed pretty quickly so I'm assuming there'll be a sprite replacement mod day of release

They also keep releasing "balance updates", FF6 just got an update early this month. It's bizarre. Especially FF6 which is already extremely easy.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kongming posted:

They also keep releasing "balance updates", FF6 just got an update early this month. It's bizarre. Especially FF6 which is already extremely easy.

Finally, 28 years after its release, someone out there had the loving balls needed to give Odin +2 speed on level up. Stay winning king.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

this reminds me that I'm totally going to play the Brave New World mod one of these days, eventually

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Thinking about how good ffxvi is gonna be. Vii remake had such good combat. Just feels like they figured out the best aspects from the battle systems of so many previous titles and smoothly blended them into something really special.

Playing xiii now and having a lot of fun with it again. Appreciate how quickly it moves along.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 26, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

this reminds me that I'm totally going to play the Brave New World mod one of these days, eventually

bnw rocks and also t-edition

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

bnw rocks and also t-edition

Low T-Edition

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

lmao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

:negative: a-argh!?

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Been playing FFXIV alot, now I wanna play some of the older FFs. Out of all the versions of FF4, which one is the best? I've always started that one but kept falling off.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Been playing FFXIV alot, now I wanna play some of the older FFs. Out of all the versions of FF4, which one is the best? I've always started that one but kept falling off.

DS one is great but weirdly hard, I enjoyed the PR one that's pretty easy breezy but still very fun.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

The original or the pixel master one. Goodbye.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pixel remaster or PSP version is probably the best

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
PR is the best, it's basically the original + quality of life stuff. PSP has the most stuff but a lot of it is bullcrap, GBA is the same except horribly buggy so don't play it. I love the 3D version but it's a bad place to start.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i love the 3d version but it's not where you want to start with it. it's probably better for a replay on hard mode, which was how the DS version shipped

emulate the snes game imo if you think you would like the quaint original translation otherwise do the pixel remaster

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bump with the new Theatrhythm track list

https://novacrystallis.com/2022/12/theatrhythm-final-bar-line-song-list-revealed/

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oh baby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unbelievably sick.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Best Buy either broke street date or way overestimated how long it would take me to receive my package so I got my copy of Crisis Core Reunion in yesterday. I’ve only had about an hour and a half to play it so far but I like what I’ve seen so far. I never played the original so I don’t know how close it is, my understanding is that it’s mostly just a graphical upgrade and some QOL changes.

Combat is superficially pretty similar to FF7R but simpler—just one character and you just have your basic attacks, four materia and ability slots, and limit breaks—and there’s a lot of it so it may get repetitive but I guess we’ve got like 6 months until FF7R-2 even if there aren’t any delays so you can play it in bite-sized chunks here and there. There’s a slot machine constantly running in the top-left of the screen and frequently popping off effects like giving you buffs or unlocking limit breaks etc when things line up which is fun.

I’m also liking Zack a lot as a protagonist, he’s kind of a goofy dork, sort of annoying in an endearing way somehow. He reminds me of MGS2 Raiden without the grim front. I’m looking forward to getting deeper in the game and finding out more about him since it seems like he’s going to play a bigger role in the 7 remakes than the original.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Best Buy either broke street date or way overestimated how long it would take me to receive my package so I got my copy of Crisis Core Reunion in yesterday. I’ve only had about an hour and a half to play it so far but I like what I’ve seen so far. I never played the original so I don’t know how close it is, my understanding is that it’s mostly just a graphical upgrade and some QOL changes.

Combat is superficially pretty similar to FF7R but simpler—just one character and you just have your basic attacks, four materia and ability slots, and limit breaks—and there’s a lot of it so it may get repetitive but I guess we’ve got like 6 months until FF7R-2 even if there aren’t any delays so you can play it in bite-sized chunks here and there. There’s a slot machine constantly running in the top-left of the screen and frequently popping off effects like giving you buffs or unlocking limit breaks etc when things line up which is fun.

I’m also liking Zack a lot as a protagonist, he’s kind of a goofy dork, sort of annoying in an endearing way somehow. He reminds me of MGS2 Raiden without the grim front. I’m looking forward to getting deeper in the game and finding out more about him since it seems like he’s going to play a bigger role in the 7 remakes than the original.

lucky, have fun with the game. i think rebirth is coming winter of 2023 and only for playstation 1st just like remake. currently debating if i should borrow my friends ps5 to play it on release or try to go dark on the game til the PC release, which may be impossible since i consider everything a spoiler and modern day internet/algorithms tell you poo poo no matter what.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Lol cool. I remember liking what little I played of it on PSP but the slot machine thing was weird. I’ll definitely check out the remake

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nutmeg posted:

lucky, have fun with the game. i think rebirth is coming winter of 2023 and only for playstation 1st just like remake. currently debating if i should borrow my friends ps5 to play it on release or try to go dark on the game til the PC release, which may be impossible since i consider everything a spoiler and modern day internet/algorithms tell you poo poo no matter what.

you better believe within two days all of your youtube recommendations are gonna be about how cloud dies and zack replaces him or some poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i saw so,eine post somewhere that some rebirth trailer implied that the timeline change means jessie is alive is this actually true or just wishful thinking

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Apparently the ESRB rated them for Switch/PS4 so there’s that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

i saw so,eine post somewhere that some rebirth trailer implied that the timeline change means jessie is alive is this actually true or just wishful thinking

the second one, wedge is th only one who makes it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

God Crisis Core kicks rear end

https://youtu.be/0R7pXA4bTm0