Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Once the monopoly owns the service, everything will be fine. That's about as close as one can get to something resembling optimism about future tech nowadays.

nah, monopolies acquiring the services has already happened and makes them worse in all the ways you'd predict. the weak link from a tech reliability/ safety standpoint is the digital key itself being dogshit and not standardized

speng31b has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

speng31b posted:

nah, monopolies acquiring the services has already happened and makes them worse in all the ways you'd predict. the weak link from a tech reliability/ safety standpoint is the digital key itself being dogshit and not standardized

:thejoke:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I hope somebody got fired for THAT blunder

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really like the way the concept art for this doesn't seem to include any way to bring fresh water in or sewage out...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

I really like the way the concept art for this doesn't seem to include any way to bring fresh water in or sewage out...

They're "tiny homes," so it's more important that cars have parking than the people living in them have running water or toilets.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my old car share used to have a lock box drilled into the trunks where the physical car keys would go. it was great. new one has fobs and readers on the inside of the windshield. more convenient but I miss just having the keys.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

leftist heap posted:

my old car share used to have a lock box drilled into the trunks where the physical car keys would go. it was great. new one has fobs and readers on the inside of the windshield. more convenient but I miss just having the keys.

yeah, the lockboxes with physical keys are by far the way customers prefer. Car shares moved away from it because the cost of replacing keys was driving them out of business

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

with this model, we are going to minimize the surface area dedicated to parking!

*builds an enormous parking lot around the structure anyway*

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

PittTheElder posted:

Buildings on legs isn't a new thing. The pipes are in or behind one of the columns

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

They're "tiny homes," so it's more important that cars have parking than the people living in them have running water or toilets.

Whenever you see "tiny homes" show up in the conversation, it's 100% about someone frantically searching for a use case for them.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Tiny homes would be great if there was actually some sort of infrastructure or accommodation for living in one besides "on a lot that could have a regular home" or "in your parent's back yard"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Tiny homes would be great if there was actually some sort of infrastructure or accommodation for living in one besides "on a lot that could have a regular home" or "in your parent's back yard"

what about Tiny Homes that are the size of cargo containers, so that workers could be moved from port to port to wherever they're needed while being able to stay right at home

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just get a trailer jfc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Just get a trailer jfc

sounds a little too heavily invested in car culture to me

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Epic High Five posted:

Just get a trailer jfc

Those are for poor trashy people. I live in a shipping container :smug:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dog Case posted:

There's nowhere that building a tiny home would make more senese than building an apartment building or granny flat.

They're only a thing because people are so suburb brained that they can't accept not living in A House. Or maybe also for people who have a fetish for pooping in composting toilets.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Just get a trailer jfc

Capital is busy loving that up too btw

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/25/rents-spike-as-big-pocketed-investors-buy-mobile-home-parks.html

Apr 7, 2003

The plight of residents at Ridgeview is playing out nationwide as institutional investors, led by private equity firms and real estate investment trusts and sometimes funded by pension funds, swoop in to buy mobile home parks. Critics contend mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are fueling the problem by backing a growing number of investor loans.

The purchases are putting residents in a bind, since most mobile homes — despite the name — cannot be moved easily or cheaply. Owners are forced to either accept unaffordable rent increases, spend thousands of dollars to move their home, or abandon it and lose tens of thousands of dollars they invested.

“These industries, including mobile home park manufacturing industry, keep touting these parks, these mobile homes, as affordable housing. But it’s not affordable,” said Benjamin Bellus, an assistant attorney general in Iowa, who said complaints have gone up “100-fold” since out-of-state investors started buying up parks a few years ago.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what about Tiny Homes that are the size of cargo containers, so that workers could be moved from port to port to wherever they're needed while being able to stay right at home
I guess as long as you call the cargo containers tiny homes even human traffickers can be hipsters

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
idk, micro apartments aren't an inherently terrible idea. There's a bunch in my city that seem popular enough with the student and 20-something-professional crowd.

Of course, they're actually built in a mixed use residential-commercial area in a city with excellent transport and not like, above a costco carpark soo :shrug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

God, an out-of-state real estate investment company just bought up dozens of duplexes in low-income neighborhoods here and declared that not only was the rent going up but they'd no longer accept section 8 vouchers. They're kicking out people who've lived there for 20+ years.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Cottage courts are an excellent middle zone between sprawling SFHs and apartment buildings, and I would love to see them make a return. A lot of lanes in Vancouver are so crowded with laneway houses that they've become kind of defacto versions cottage courts, and they're really quite nice in some places (dense, communal). Houses have been around for millennia, and there's nothing inherently wrong with them, and it's amazing how much denser separated housing can be once you get rid of the notion that every house has to be a 2,000 square foot monster with an acre of unused, high-maintenance grass around it.

My partner's extremely rural hometown was established in the 1800s and has a very cute and very dense downtown crowded with little houses, and it's really funny how you can see exactly when the car was invented in the city's planning because suddenly the lots get huge and the neighborhoods become increasingly inaccessible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Cottage courts

I lived in one of these for a year and loved it. Hundred-year-old shotgun shacks by the railroad that had been updated a bit to have a more modern floorplan. No one could park next to their house, so there was lots of coming and going in the courtyard. We all had screened porches close to each other. And tbh it was just a really attractive layout for a tiny neighborhood.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Streetsblog has published a guest column by one of its board members that is not making a lot of the people who read streetsblog very happy: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/08/10/guest-column-europes-bike-and-transit-systems-are-a-marvel-but-only-for-some/

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the premise there is sorta fine but the article is otherwise insane.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Like a bunch of tiny homes packed together with near apartment density but still physically separate would be a good alternative to apartments for noisy people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

leftist heap posted:

the premise there is sorta fine but the article is otherwise insane.

Yeah it's fine as a recommendation but as a critique it just trying too hard

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The plight of residents at Ridgeview is playing out nationwide as institutional investors, led by private equity firms and real estate investment trusts and sometimes funded by pension funds, swoop in to buy mobile home parks. Critics contend mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are fueling the problem by backing a growing number of investor loans.

The purchases are putting residents in a bind, since most mobile homes — despite the name — cannot be moved easily or cheaply. Owners are forced to either accept unaffordable rent increases, spend thousands of dollars to move their home, or abandon it and lose tens of thousands of dollars they invested.

“These industries, including mobile home park manufacturing industry, keep touting these parks, these mobile homes, as affordable housing. But it’s not affordable,” said Benjamin Bellus, an assistant attorney general in Iowa, who said complaints have gone up “100-fold” since out-of-state investors started buying up parks a few years ago.

They're gonna do the same poo poo to immobile homes too. They can jack the price as high as they want and you'll have no options but to pay it or go to jail for vagrancy

Apr 7, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're gonna do the same poo poo to immobile homes too. They can jack the price as high as they want and you'll have no options but to pay it or go to jail for vagrancy

They already are, I live in a marginal neighborhood and increasingly I'm surrounded by RENTWELL signs on investor properties

I'm also surrounded by white guys with undercuts

gonna be interesting to see if the rentiers or dad's money wins

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're doing it to people in normal-rear end homes on land they've owned for decades too. Emmenent Domaining them so a developer can use their land for an access road instead of not building a couple million dollar mcmansions? Yeah that's a no-brainer, just use the petty cash to bribe the town commission

look ma, it's thread-relevent because they're destroying homes for car lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Kind of off topic..
If the USA had train system built out to at least London levels.
How long, and how much would it cost to go from Los Angeles to New York?

Miles

KM

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Aug 13, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

Streetsblog has published a guest column by one of its board members that is not making a lot of the people who read streetsblog very happy: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/08/10/guest-column-europes-bike-and-transit-systems-are-a-marvel-but-only-for-some/

yes, much better to run a dozen equity studies and build some sort of freakish means-tested half-assed nothing of a system instead of just building transit and bike systems

it's impossible to separate this critique from the general failure state of american transit and bike systems, and it's frankly insane that someone could write this and not stop halfway through and just, like, go outside and take a walk instead

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yes, much better to run a dozen equity studies and build some sort of freakish means-tested half-assed nothing of a system instead of just building transit and bike systems

it's impossible to separate this critique from the general failure state of american transit and bike systems, and it's frankly insane that someone could write this and not stop halfway through and just, like, go outside and take a walk instead

neoliberalism weaponizing the language and values of left-liberalism to reinforce the shittiest practices rules

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Cottage courts are an excellent middle zone between sprawling SFHs and apartment buildings, and I would love to see them make a return. A lot of lanes in Vancouver are so crowded with laneway houses that they've become kind of defacto versions cottage courts, and they're really quite nice in some places (dense, communal). Houses have been around for millennia, and there's nothing inherently wrong with them, and it's amazing how much denser separated housing can be once you get rid of the notion that every house has to be a 2,000 square foot monster with an acre of unused, high-maintenance grass around it.

My partner's extremely rural hometown was established in the 1800s and has a very cute and very dense downtown crowded with little houses, and it's really funny how you can see exactly when the car was invented in the city's planning because suddenly the lots get huge and the neighborhoods become increasingly inaccessible.

ive lived in a hollywood bungalow for 11 years or smth which the same thing and its the best, bar none.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if u go outside and start drinking beers in a lawn chair, within 2 hours there's 10 people there and you're getting wasted and grilling. any day, any time. its that easy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

i mean, if you live in america the idea of going outside and dodging bloodthirsty steel beasts roaring past while you're wandering around on foot is pretty loving insane so it's not really surprising that sitting down and mashing out a car-brained blogpost seems preferable?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

and it's frankly insane that someone could write this and not stop halfway through and just, like, go outside and take a walk instead

they cannot take a walk as all infrastructure around them is designed against the very idea and upon attempting to walk they will be immediately be crushed by a needlessly tall and heavy vehicle that in a just society should single the owner out for being thrown in a volcano to appease the elder gods, hopefully along with the suv/truck

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
too slow. :smug: I only need to be faster than you, not faster than th

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Harik posted:

too slow. :smug: I only need to be faster than you, not faster than th

sorry, didnt catch that over the din of cars. Also cant turn around on this single file wide sidewalk, just tell me lat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
zero power floating train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXXY3f6itHw