Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Boxturret posted:

does that mean that blockchain also isn't good?:ohdear:

repent for this heresy. now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

government is bad! buy bitcoin!

https://twitter.com/hodlberry/status/1558140017226256385?s=20&t=vdX7JAlJ8HyxDJd8DQHTdw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post this in the fedgov employee thread too, please.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

lmaoooo the libertpoisoned brain, you weren't kidding
https://twitter.com/hodlberry/status/1558140035815407616

https://twitter.com/hodlberry/status/1558140047865659392

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

findom for berts

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

bootdom

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

absolutely unhinged

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"five figure captain of industry" is one of my favorite genres of coiner post

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i legit want to know what he was doing in gov and what he's doing now because $120k is gs-13 or 14 (depending on location) which means he was either a subject-matter expert or in middle management, which is the point where you can leave government work and make more in private industry, and yet he took a pay cut to do it????

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the hiring panel probably was like "what's your interest in [company]?" and he told his story and they instantly knew they could lowball him

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sounds like he should enjoy staying poor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*ringing up people at a gas station*

heh i can't believe i spent 17 years toiling away for the MAN when i could have BEEN a real galtian man!

buddy, i just want some gas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sir, you work at a wendy's

Khorne
May 1, 2002

aw frig aw dang it posted:

absolutely unhinged
yeah, how do you go from a gov job to getting paid less in private industry lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

yeah, how do you go from a gov job to getting paid less in private industry lmao

bitcoin brain

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

the standard libertarian ideological principle of “doing the opposite of what is in your best personal interest.” as demonstrated when john galt decided to make his perpetual motion machine open source and shared it with the masses.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Khorne posted:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

wait, how can a company limit the amount of sick days you get? is that an american thing? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Affronted at being paid by taxes, but totally fine with being paid by a Mako reactor that makes numbers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

go play outside Skyler posted:

wait, how can a company limit the amount of sick days you get? is that an american thing? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

oh you sweet summer child

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

in America, companies don't have to give you sick days at all

like vacation time, it is an entirely optional benefit

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

doingitwrong posted:

I’m a pirate.

i'm a duck

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

divabot posted:

i'm a duck

I'm throwing u some bread

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:capitalism:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sure, but they can also just give you zero sick days

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Main Paineframe posted:

in America, companies don't have to give you sick days at all

like vacation time, it is an entirely optional benefit

this, like many things in america, varies. oregon has legally mandated sick time, although even then the legal minimum is only five days.

but yes there is no federal minimum.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
they can also just fire you for taking them failure to meet expectations. right to work!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

doingitwrong posted:

I’m a pirate.
r u @ 40 tho

divabot posted:

i'm a duck
same question to u :gerard:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

now, what you'll find incredibly bizarre and outrageous, is that i once worked for a company that zeroed out your accumulated vacation time every year, on your hiring anniversary. this really screwed over one guy who was hired in december, so that he never had vacation time to go visit family at christmas, until the HR lady took pity on him and edited his anniversary date to early january.

i don't even know why they did that. the owners there were incredibly greedy but i don't know why they decided to zero out instead of just put a cap on it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

now, what you'll find incredibly bizarre and outrageous, is that i once worked for a company that zeroed out your accumulated vacation time every year, on your hiring anniversary. this really screwed over one guy who was hired in december, so that he never had vacation time to go visit family at christmas, until the HR lady took pity on him and edited his anniversary date to early january.

i don't even know why they did that. the owners there were incredibly greedy but i don't know why they decided to zero out instead of just put a cap on it.

even if they're gonna zero it, just do it on january 1

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the owners there were incredibly greedy

seems pretty obvious to me, op.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't even know how that functions in service to their greed though

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
any paid time off is time where you are getting paid for not working. zeroing it rather than capping it ensures that your employees do not get paid for not working. seems pretty simple to me

that's before you get into the part where greedy people also tend to be very spiteful assholes and love making GBS threads on anyone below them, of course

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems like you have to work a lot longer for the gov than to get the same or better deal in the private sector, glad to see American's tax dollars are being put to work efficiently

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zamujasa posted:

they can also just fire you for taking them failure to meet expectations. right to work!

*at-will employment.

right-to-work is also bad but that particular form of badness is about allowing employees to opt out of union membership.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

every time I hear about America having specified numbers of sick days I can't quite believe it but somehow it's true!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think if you're sick for idk two weeks they want to see some sort of evidence that you have something serious and I 100% guarantee HR monitor sickness stats to look for patterns so idk, maybe it ends up the same?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
small business attracts so many of these little hitlers because owning a small business is a fairly easy way to get power if you don't mind a relative lack of wealth that would otherwise normally accompany that power.

people whose sole desire in life is to impose their will on other human beings, above all other material and spiritual considerations

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/my-big-coin-founder-convicted-cryptocurrency-fraud-scheme

quote:

According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, Randall Crater, 51, of East Hampton, founded My Big Coin Pay Inc. (My Big Coin), a purported cryptocurrency and virtual payment services company headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada, and offered virtual payment services through a fraudulent digital currency, “My Big Coins,” which he marketed to investors between 2014 and 2017 using misrepresentations about the nature and value of Coins. Crater and his associates falsely claimed that Coins was a fully functioning cryptocurrency backed by $300 million in gold, oil and other valuable assets. Crater also falsely told investors that My Big Coin had a partnership with MasterCard and that Coins could readily be exchanged for government-backed paper currency or other virtual currencies. Crater promulgated these misrepresentations through social media, the internet, email and text messages.

In reality, Coins were not backed by gold or other valuable assets, did not have a partnership with MasterCard and were not readily transferable. Over the course of the scheme, Crater misappropriated over $6 million of investor funds for his own personal gain, including spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on antiques, artwork and jewelry.

it's always the most low-brow cons, like the guy was just going around making poo poo up and 6 million dollars worth of rubes did fuckin zero followup whatsoever. Dude's like "yeah, mastercard partnership, vault fulla gold and a balance sheet fulla commodities behind it, accepted everywhere and you can exchange it for anything" fuckin out came the money from these idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think if you're sick for idk two weeks they want to see some sort of evidence that you have something serious and I 100% guarantee HR monitor sickness stats to look for patterns so idk, maybe it ends up the same?

lol two weeks

here it's mostly "you don't get sick time at all," "any sick time requires a doctor's note," or "any sick time beyond 2ish days requires a doctor's note"