Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/hodlberry/status/1558140017226256385?s=21&t=41S3Rufl2MwPSABswhrioA

P.S. buy bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stop. I can’t take so much manliness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If anything that thread tells me I should do federal work, especially since I do not hold the belief that the government is literally robbing me when I pay my taxes.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Neito posted:

One of the new guys they hired is wicked into Crypto and NFTs and is actively working on multiple Crypto projects, including one where he's talking about making Reddit Karma a cryptocoin and tracking in on the blockchain.

Literally every mod outside of the cryptosphere hates him and his stupid loving ideas.

I think it was reddit that previously hired some Blockchain idiot. he spent his time working on a rewrite of bitcoin in JavaScript before getting the boot after management changed and cleared out the dead wood.

edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/2u7ddq/the_real_reason_ryan_charles_was_fired_from/

quote:

The real reason Ryan Charles was fired from reddit: he spent the entire duration of his employment working on a port of bitcoin core to Javascript.

Repo: https://github.com/ryanxcharles/fullnode/

Commits: https://github.com/ryanxcharles/fullnode/graphs/commit-activity Started happening in early August, just about when he was hired as the cryptocurrency engineer

Commit times: https://github.com/ryanxcharles/fullnode/graphs/punch-card primarily 9am-5pm M-F

Conclusion: Ryan and Yishan were buddies, Yishan hired him to do something something crypto, Ryan was given no direction and was allowed to work on a solo project with zero management oversight so he worked on his dream project of rewriting Bitcoin in JS.

Aside from how laughable the project is, it's more funny how terrible Reddit management before Yishan's departure would have to be to allow something like this to happen. You're paying someone a full-time engineer salary in SF (so 100k+) to rewrite Bitcoin in Javascript? When it has absolutely nothing to do with your business? Great move.

stinch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I gave up my cushy, stable situation and my life loving sucks now but I feel like a real man. Thank you bitcoin.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

why would you quit what sounds like a great job

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Bitcoin

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
let me tell you how absolutely broken my brain is.txt

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Because it was COMPROMISING my MORALITY and ETHICS.

pls buy bitcoin

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ilmucche posted:

He is rich in the psychological wage of having his masculinity satisfied.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Now hold on a second, I read the whole thread and he didn't say "quit". He did say "Ultimately, I got tired of doing work that went against my conscience and against my view that taxation is theft. I couldn’t take it anymore" but that doesn't mean he quit for those reasons. He said "By the time I left", but that doesn't mean he quit, just that he left...

It is possible to get fired from a government job. Maybe not easy, but this guy sounds like the kind of go-getter who could figure it out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beat me harder, business daddy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"my work and calling as a man"? jesus christ, get the gently caress over yourself

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Now hold on a second, I read the whole thread and he didn't say "quit". He did say "Ultimately, I got tired of doing work that went against my conscience and against my view that taxation is theft. I couldn’t take it anymore" but that doesn't mean he quit for those reasons. He said "By the time I left", but that doesn't mean he quit, just that he left...

It is possible to get fired from a government job. Maybe not easy, but this guy sounds like the kind of go-getter who could figure it out.

This makes sense because he’s saying he is making less now and the only way that is the case is because he was literally un hirable because of whatever the issue was.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wow it's a real life Ron Swanson

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
That’s not even like a crazy amount of sick or vacation time. “My government job gave me a modicum of time allotted to my life outside of work. What a dissatisfying grift!”

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"threat of getting fired for my speech" absolutely means this guy drops slurs in casual conversation

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

One way would be to constantly annoy your boss by rabbiting on about how your department/all government/the country/the world should "go on the blockchain" and saying how wonderful crypto is and how they should buy crypto, and using your work computer to trade crypto and read about crypto and post about crypto and mine crypto, instead of doing the work you're supposed to be doing.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

jokes posted:

I gave up my cushy, stable situation and my life loving sucks now but I feel like a real man. Thank you bitcoin.
"I'm happy to be measurably worse off by every metric you can imagine if it makes life harder for someone else"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

King Carnivore posted:

That’s not even like a crazy amount of sick or vacation time. “My government job gave me a modicum of time allotted to my life outside of work. What a dissatisfying grift!”
And the 26 days of vacation is only after you’ve put in 15 years of service.
0-3 years: 13 days
3-15 years: 20 days.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
For context, standard leave in NZ:
20 paid days a year holiday, can usually roll over to next year
10 paid sick days per year.

What he's describing is what I'd call a minimum for work life balance.

Hell, I'm salaried and public sector, my area gets 45 paid days off per year at least in part to offset how we are paid lower than private sector

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The concept of a work/life balance is uncapitalistic and thus probably near the same level as taxation to that person. You're not living if you are not working.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
"Get busy working or get busy dying" in the famous words of Ellis “Red” Redding from Shawshank Redemption. That's the quote right? Don't look it up

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going to put $5 on him sexually harassing junior employees.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

If anything that thread tells me I should do federal work, especially since I do not hold the belief that the government is literally robbing me when I pay my taxes.

Ask and Tell or one of its subforums has a gov. goon jobs thread iirc.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to put $5 on him sexually harassing junior employees.

He specifies Juneteenth as a joke so I'm going 10$ on open racial slurs or defending white supremacists in work chats

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I'm sick of the government literally robbing me at gunpoint every month from my payslip. This is why I invest in crypto and fingers crossed only get my wallet robbed about once or twice a year.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JammyB posted:

I'm sick of the government literally robbing me at gunpoint every month from my payslip. This is why I invest in crypto and fingers crossed only get my wallet robbed about once or twice a year.

Hate losing a little bit of money, bitcoin streamlines it and makes you lose all your money all at once

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

imagine my shock

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1558231400830189569

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

ilmucche posted:

None of its true.... what can it be that people lie on the internet??

Edit: Btw buy bitcoins

Tormented fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 13, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i love bitcoin and playing myself in equal measure. i love materially worsening my life and living in fear. god i wish i could just wear shackles and be forced to break rocks all day for nothing while martin shkreli type doogs bullwhip me.
this is because i am a manly, rugged individualist. not a commie

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

I had someone tell me it was believable. To which I said, are you loving kidding me? They even sent me the whitepaper for the project.

shkreli, con artist posted:

In this paper, we introduce Druglike, a platform for democratizing the access, costs, and rewards of early-stage drug discovery.
To offer a more competitive pricing schedule for cheminformatics compute, we propose a decentralized network of Task Providers, Solvers, and Validators tasked with executing and verifying virtual screening tasks.
To maintain result integrity in this decentralized compute network while avoiding the inefficiencies of verification by replication, we introduce Proof-of Optimization, a novel Proof-of-Work mechanism establishing consensus by validating and rewarding solutions to function optimization problems.
We then show how this mechanism can be applied to the virtual screening problem, where Solvers can competitively search a chemical space for results demonstrating high binding affinity toward a given protein target.

Tongue in cheek or perhaps expecting other people to tongue his rear end, Shkreli renamed folding@home on the blockchain poo. I mean....it's not like he exactly was trying here. Shkreli is clearly out of date of current crypto trends, asking people to buy poo and an NFT. Or maybe he isn't, at the same time. I don't know.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Shkreli is clearly out of date of current crypto trends, asking people to buy poo and an NFT. Or maybe he isn't, at the same time. I don't know.

He stole 450,000 dollars worth of etherium from people so dumb that they willingly bought a token called "shkreli-inu-coin".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ilmucche posted:

The second tweet in their thread ends with the phrase "everyone I worked with was a flaming liberal", so I don't think we need to call Holmes and Watson in to solve this one

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

PITY BONER posted:

It's a photo a scrawny billionaire e-robber baron wearing jorts. I was being topical; what's the problem? Going for comments on his face is even lower hanging fruit.

My point wasn't that going after his appearance is somehow sacrosanct, he's a loving weird looking dude, and that's genuinely funny to poke fun at. My point was that someone wearing a normal tshirt and shorts (not jorts, by the way) is such a normal part of his appearance to fixate on. It's like going "look at that guy, he's wearing shoes and socks".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

putin is a oval office posted:

My point wasn't that going after his appearance is somehow sacrosanct, he's a loving weird looking dude, and that's genuinely funny to poke fun at. My point was that someone wearing a normal tshirt and shorts (not jorts, by the way) is such a normal part of his appearance to fixate on. It's like going "look at that guy, he's wearing shoes and socks".

Who cares

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I just thought it was weird and then replied to his own reply, that okay by you? You cool?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

putin is a oval office posted:

I just thought it was weird and then replied to his own reply, that okay by you? You cool?

No, that's me :sun:

Ongoing reactions to the Tornado arrest are extremely reasonable.

:jihad:

quote:

Arrest all fast food workers for providing harmful products. Cmon, don’t be stupid.

Arrest kitchen knife manufacturers when wifey gets mad and stabs her husband. Yeah, no.

Arrest pharmaceutical companies for producing drugs they know are ineffective, and harmful. And also for pricing regular people out of necessary effective products.

Arrest banks for stealing the livelihoods of all citizens of this country? Hey now we’re getting somewhere.

Arrest all politicians who have accepted lobbying money.

Arrest all police departments who have taken part in unconstitutional civil forfeiture.

🦜SQUAW arrest all gun manufacturers SQUAW 🦜🦜🦜

:reject:

quote:

Crypto is hydra. Cut one head, two more appears.

:tinfoil:

quote:

I think that this is a direct result from the recent announcement from Pakistan Iran saying that they have bought imports using crypto and not the reserve currency aka US Dollar.

If the US can track transactions they could put in global policy to maintain control. With major mixers this neuters those efforts.

There are a bunch of mixers and privacy coins and they have been left alone. Tornado was the largest and made a great target and now more users/developers are going to hesitate in the private currency space.

This won't stop the progression, only slow it. No one can stop technological progression. Even a world war won't stop it, unless we get sent back to the stone age. The world governments are going to have to figure out how to work with this new age of currency where they don't have complete control over it.

Bonus, "this is why blockchain is good but also why we need a mixer to hide all blockchain receipts":

:actually:

quote:

Imagine you invested in Ethereum in 2017 and now your investment is worth half a million dollars. You want to show your next door neighbor's teenage kid how ETH works, but suddenly you realize that by sending him some ETH you would be revealing to him how much money you have.

Or imagine you go to buy some marijuana, or any activity that involves handing your ID to the merchant, using USDC, now suddenly this merchant---who you know nothing about, nor how shady they might be---suddenly knows you have half a million dollars sitting in ETH and knows your physical address.

Or imagine you want to send a tip to someone through social media where you have a public profile, suddenly the whole world knows what you own.

Or imagine you want to buy a gift for your wife, suddenly she knows what you've purchased.

The list is endless, really. The point of tornado cash for most users isn't to receive anonymous money, it is to send small amounts that you don't want publicly linked to your main account.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/theHManFights/status/1558300374909431808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And before anyone jumps down his throat, @mr_ian there is being sarcastic.