Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's the actual crimes listed on the warrant:

- Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

- Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally of records

- Destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in Federal investigations and bankruptcy

the top one is commonly known as the "espionage act" which is a better description of what it is

the bottom one is basically "obstruction of justice"

Travic posted:

As someone who knows nothing about this what in the world is he talking about with Obama taking 33 million pages of classified stuff? Just projection?

documents transferred for the Obama presidential library (which remain in the possession of the government)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Travic posted:

As someone who knows nothing about this what in the world is he talking about with Obama taking 33 million pages of classified stuff? Just projection?

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1558151577751490561

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Travic posted:

per NARA, literally nothing:

quote:

In its statement, NARA said that it obtained “exclusive legal and physical custody” of Obama’s records when he left office in 2017. It said that about 30 million pages of unclassified records were transferred to a NARA facility in the Chicago area and that they continue to be maintained “exclusively by NARA.”

Classified records from Obama are kept in a NARA facility in Washington, the statement said.

“As required by the [Presidential Records Act], former President Obama has no control over where and how NARA stores the Presidential records of his Administration,” the statement said.

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/12/trump-obama-national-archives/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Travic posted:

Its the usual fascist lies. "I didn't do <thing> YOU did <thing> because you're worse!"

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Travic posted:

He's trying to claim the m.lago broom closet was a "library"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
They really don't get it.

It's not Trump et al vs decorum-poisoned Democrats anymore. It's Trump et al vs the Feds.

Anyone who is old enough remembers the Pre-9/11 Rightwing Terrorism era and how that worked out. Garland was there for all of that. The Feds are not interested in dealing with a rerun of that. Trump just declared war on the Feds, we'll see how that works out for him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like how he not denying he destroyed documents relevant to an investigation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The court has officially been notified Trump doesn't object to the unsealing, so we should have official copies of the docs shortly.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1558170028511580162

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Breitbart names the FBI agents on the warrant

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1558153486117765121

probably not a good thing to do, which is exactly why they are doing it.

Uh isn't this doxxing the FBI agents a crime?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

They really don't get it.

It's not Trump et al vs decorum-poisoned Democrats anymore. It's Trump et al vs the Feds.

Anyone who is old enough remembers the Pre-9/11 Rightwing Terrorism era and how that worked out. Garland was there for all of that. The Feds are not interested in dealing with a rerun of that. Trump just declared war on the Feds, we'll see how that works out for him.

Gonna be real interesting if this ends with Mar-A-Lago getting bulldozed by a couple of Abrams tanks :v:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Wow. This seems...uh...big.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Travic posted:

Wow. This seems...uh...big.

I've actually just learned that it is not.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1558172012815712257

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

unfortunately for trump there is a case directly on point on this

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1557930815006408705

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

I do love how he trying to do things he accidently learned about as president, after the fact.

"Nu uh! I have super special immunity!" Scribbles in sharpie back dating an order on a cocktail napkin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

unfortunately for trump there is a case directly on point on this

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1557930815006408705

It doesn't even matter whether he did or not (that was the joke with the Breitbart "update") because none of those statutes hinge on the documents being classified or not. You can be charged regardless of what the classification level is if you are destroying documents or possess defense-related information.

It's just hilarious that Breitbart is issuing "updates" to the story where they are reporting that Trump posted on social media that it was all good.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If you are arguing that the secret super classified nuclear or defense secrets were actually declassified and therefore not a big deal, you are losing.

To add, apologiesif we try to avoid signal boosting these morons but this is the top comment in the chudosphere

And hey look what exactly BB ended up doing. I won't post anymore from that thread but they are doing exactly what you would think they are doing now that the agents names are known.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 12, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's a link to the unsealed documents:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.617854/gov.uscourts.flsd.617854.17.0_15.pdf

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

cr0y posted:

This is SO hosed Jesus Christ, they are trying to get the agents murdered.

I mean, of course they are. If and when they take over again, it’s truly game over. They’ll never let go of power again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The only thing obvious to me from the unsealed documents is that a TON of boxes were seized, and there is no info about what is in them - how secret they were. There's just a handful of "miscellaneous documents" entries that list classification - which to me, suggests they were unboxed and lying out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

The only thing obvious to me from the unsealed documents is that a TON of boxes were seized, and there is no info about what is in them - how secret they were. There's just a handful of "miscellaneous documents" entries that list classification - which to me, suggests they were unboxed and lying out.

And that all of Trump's folders and photo albums are leather-bound.

I do wonder what was in the multiple photo albums.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Please let it come out that in the Alex Jones texts was Roger Stone blabbing to Jones some damning information about the secret documents at Mar-a-Lago

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

cr0y posted:

If you are arguing that the secret super classified nuclear or defense secrets were actually declassified and therefore not a big deal, you are losing.

To add, apologiesif we try to avoid signal boosting these morons but this is the top comment in the chudosphere

And hey look what exactly BB ended up doing. I won't post anymore from that thread but they are doing exactly what you would think they are doing now that the agents names are known.

I always have to do a double-take when I see that these people unironically call themselves pedes. :psyduck: It's a centi/millipede reference, right...?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Breitbart names the FBI agents on the warrant

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1558153486117765121

probably not a good thing to do, which is exactly why they are doing it.

If I am breitbart I definitely want to give the FBI a reason to shove its entire fist with a flashlight up my rear end. Good call.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chieves posted:

I always have to do a double-take when I see that these people unironically call themselves pedes. :psyduck: It's a centi/millipede reference, right...?

It's related to a Knife Party song. No, Knife Party doesn't understand it either.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

If the "no, guys I declassified these" is acceptable I feel bad for the people working in the Freedom of Information Act office, because they're about to get a request for "all nuclear secrets" from every intelligence agency in the world.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Surely Biden could just reclassify them right?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If Trump is stating the documents are declassified, every journalist should file a FOIA now. Prep for the upcoming Supreme Court case to argue out both their asses.

ryde posted:

Surely Biden could just reclassify them right?

Not sure it works that way, but google isn’t helping.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jesus they aren't loving declassified. The FBI isn't raiding the home of a former president for poo poo that isn't classified or top secret. Don't even bother looking into the declassified argument, it's just not a thing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How many Matterings has this been so far? As big of a deal as this seems, I won't get hopeful until he is in cuffs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one of importance will even consider the possibility that they're declassified unless Trump can come up with some evidence that he declassified them while actually President. Saying "nuh uh I totally did it two years ago, trust me" is not going to matter to anyone who doesn't have a twitter avatar of driving a pickup in sunglasses

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

How many Matterings has this been so far? As big of a deal as this seems, I won't get hopeful until he is in cuffs.

Even then, his enablers and the root cause to all this would still be at large.

https://youtu.be/vvIrdg-epwA

haveblue posted:

No one of importance will even consider the possibility that they're declassified unless Trump can come up with some evidence that he declassified them while actually President. Saying "nuh uh I totally did it two years ago, trust me" is not going to matter to anyone who doesn't have a twitter avatar of driving a pickup in sunglasses

That’s why the FOIA need to be in now just in case the Supreme Court continues to be a worthless lap dog for fascists that Biden and Dems should have dismantled already.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 12, 2022

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Jesus they aren't loving declassified. The FBI isn't raiding the home of a former president for poo poo that isn't classified or top secret. Don't even bother looking into the declassified argument, it's just not a thing.

Yeah, it's got all the weight of "you know, that fake impeachment means Trump is actually eligible for THREE terms!" memes that went around.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

the """"""theory"""""" is the president has the inherent power to declassify anything he wants and he did it, he just didn't tell anyone or perhaps even realize he was doing it

unfortunately that is not the law, also the laws he broke don't care if he formally declassified it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the """"""theory"""""" is the president has the inherent power to declassify anything he wants and he did it, he just didn't tell anyone or perhaps even realize he was doing it

unfortunately that is not the law, also the laws he broke don't care if he formally declassified it

Fits well with the King Trump narrative that Trump and his biggest toadies have pushed from day one, of course

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
One thing I don't see being discussed by law-knowy-people is whether or not Trump is likely to be indicted. Isn't it possible that they could have used a warrant to get the docs and then decline to prosecute? It'd be a spineless move but I'm sorta used to that after the past 6 years.

gregday
May 23, 2003

ryde posted:

One thing I don't see being discussed by law-knowy-people is whether or not Trump is likely to be indicted. Isn't it possible that they could have used a warrant to get the docs and then decline to prosecute? It'd be a spineless move but I'm sorta used to that after the past 6 years.

After all Garland’s “no one is above the law” rhetoric recently I would that means charges are coming.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ryde posted:

You don’t investigate someone with violating the espionage act to not bring charges.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cr0y posted:

100% this. It's just some poo poo Trump and Breitbart are making up because nuh uh I totally called it no take backs and maybe try reading the constitution cause it doesn't say I can't do that check mate CNN and WAPO. It's as dumb and as illegal as everything else they try because all the Soros lib commies won't stop deep state picking on them for loving America and worshiping whatever they think Jesus is or the bible says.

The founding fathers, our legal system and areas of checks and balances aren't equipped to handle this type of idiocy because no one ever expected a person who could reach this level of power would actually be this god damned stupid and audacious nor have half the free press genuinely going to bat for it and defending it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not to mention that sets the insane precedent that you can steal state secrets and the worst that will happen is they will come take them back.

He's getting indicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Yeah it's pretty clear all the flailing is propaganda damage control, not a real legal defense.